Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Thomas Jones expected to be traded :( (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=347768)

illini43 03-05-2007 09:39 PM

Thomas Jones expected to be traded :(

The Bears have reached a preliminary agreement with the New York Jets to trade Thomas Jones + the 63rd overall pick for the Jets 2nd round pick.

I really see no reason for the Bears to do this other than avoid a RB controversy, as Jones obviously knows Benson is signed for big bucks. This just seems like an awful, awful deal for the Bears to make at this point. Jones was a huge part of the Super Bowl run last year.

For the Jets, this seems like a GREAT trade.

MikeyPatriot 03-05-2007 09:45 PM

Re: Thomas Jones expected to be traded :(

I saw an article 2-4 weeks back that made reference to Jones wanting to be traded.

MyTurn2Raise 03-05-2007 10:34 PM

the bigger concern is what the hell are the Bears doing messing with Briggs---show him the money!!

ligastar 03-05-2007 10:46 PM

Curious move by the Bears. Thomas Jones is a solid back and still has some tread on his tires. 31 starts in the last two years, 610 total carries, and 3 total fumbles (lost or recovered) playing often in adverse weather conditions. Again, curious move that I think hurts the Bears chances of getting to next year's SB.

bottomset 03-05-2007 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the bigger concern is what the hell are the Bears doing messing with Briggs---show him the money!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they are past that point with him, unless he becomes the highest paid LB

TheRover 03-05-2007 11:10 PM

Those late first/early second round draft picks are pretty valuable.

illini43 03-05-2007 11:23 PM

I would rather have a proven starting running back who is durable and doesn't put the ball on the ground than a prospective draft pick. It took Jones a good 5 years in the league to really establish himself as a viable starter, why get rid of him for an unproven???

HajiShirazu 03-05-2007 11:40 PM

Jeez, how much is it worth to move up 2/3rds of the second round? Like a late third round pick? I suppose it isn't that bad of a deal, but were they really that desperate to get rid of him? For next year at least I would still rather have Jones than Benson. Jones was the player of the game in the SB and basically has tore it up the last two years to the point that I don't see how anyone none the less Benson would be much of an upgrade. Also, Benson seems to get injured a lot, so what are they going to do, play Peterson? Or draft a RB? What do they gain if they trade a good RB for picks and then draft one who will almost certainly be worse? Yes, I know he probably wasn't going to resign so at least they get something in return, but the Bears are good and the NFC doesn't look any tougher next year, they should be trying to win now.

B00T 03-05-2007 11:44 PM

As a Jets fan, this rules!

slickpoppa 03-05-2007 11:55 PM

Terrible trade. Theres gotta be teams willing to give up more than that.

Case Closed 03-06-2007 12:45 AM

I for one don't mind this trade that much. Although I highly undervalue running backs. I think Benson/Peterson will be a fine tandum for the next year. Although if the Bears organization is just being cheapskates again...ugh after this season things will probably start to fall apart again for another decade.

illini43 03-06-2007 12:55 AM

I LOVE Adrian Peterson, and I think he will definately be able to fill in as the 2nd back behind Benson.

I just don't see the value in this trade. If you are going to trade Jones, OK. He would have probably left after next year anyway, but at least get some value!!!

Case Closed 03-06-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I LOVE Adrian Peterson, and I think he will definately be able to fill in as the 2nd back behind Benson.

I just don't see the value in this trade. If you are going to trade Jones, OK. He would have probably left after next year anyway, but at least get some value!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I misread and thought the Bears got the jets 2nd round pick for him straight up. Not so great trade. I'll pass judgment after the draft I guess. I don't know what's going on in their skulls.

MikeyPatriot 03-06-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I misread and thought the Bears got the jets 2nd round pick for him straight up. Not so great trade. I'll pass judgment after the draft I guess. I don't know what's going on in their skulls.

[/ QUOTE ]

This trade would be great if it was 2nd round pick for TJ straight up.

bort411 03-06-2007 03:06 AM

The Bears offseason could not be any more of a trainwreck. This is looking like we'll win 5 or 6 games next year. Everything that has happened has made this team less likely to return to the Super Bowl next season.

illini43 03-06-2007 03:19 AM

We are following the path of previous NFC champions, with a few excpetions, of returning to mediocrity after a great season.

dawade 03-06-2007 03:46 AM

As a Jets fan, I absolutely LOVE this move. Stealing that second-rounder last year from Washington was awesome!

Sluss 03-06-2007 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Anybody who falls into this trap are those stupid Bears fans you always talk about. Because he does not deserve to be paid more than Urlacher and shouldn't be.

I'm a bit confused if this is just giving Thomas Jones away. I like Jones alot, but the writing is on the wall, he is gone after next season. I would have no problem getting value for him. But is this really value? I guess we have to wait until the trade is complete. I think I even like it if it is both of the Jets second round picks for Jones and the Bears second pick.

My main concern is Benson. He seems to not be able to hold up to his running style. I don't know if it is the carries he had in college building up on him or he just can't lower the shoulder on bigger stronger guys. I see an early fade out for him in the near future. The only problem is that by the time he is useless I think Jones will be as well.

illini43 03-06-2007 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it is the carries he had in college building up on him or he just can't lower the shoulder on bigger stronger guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the NE/Bears game this year? Junior Seau didn't completely discombobulate his arm by simply falling on the ground after making a tackle...

DrewDevil 03-06-2007 10:46 AM

Cedric Benson: come for the pouting, stay for the fumbles!

Sluss 03-06-2007 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it is the carries he had in college building up on him or he just can't lower the shoulder on bigger stronger guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the NE/Bears game this year? Junior Seau didn't completely discombobulate his arm by simply falling on the ground after making a tackle...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not doubting he is a power runner. I'm doubting how his body can hold up to being a power runner. I'd love for the guy to prove me wrong. But in his first two years he has had three injuries from contact. That doesn't scare you about his ability to hold up?

[ QUOTE ]
Cedric Benson: come for the pouting, stay for the fumbles!

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not sure if you only watched the Superbowl, but um.. Benson has only lost one regular season fumble (his rookie year, none last year) and the one in the SuperBowl. And yes he pouted about his playing time. I'm pretty sure that issue just got resolved.

DrewDevil 03-06-2007 12:13 PM

I covered him every game for 2 years while he was at Texas. Pouting, fumbles. Enjoy.

Wes Mantooth 03-06-2007 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... Stealing that second-rounder last year from Washington was awesome!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... so true, so true

TheNoodleMan 03-06-2007 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What does that prove?
Rodney Harrison got hurt trying to cover Marvin Harrison, does that mean Marv is a physical receiver?

droopy0021 03-06-2007 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Anybody who falls into this trap are those stupid Bears fans you always talk about. Because he does not deserve to be paid more than Urlacher and shouldn't be.

I'm a bit confused if this is just giving Thomas Jones away. I like Jones alot, but the writing is on the wall, he is gone after next season. I would have no problem getting value for him. But is this really value?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Jones was going to be gone (his contract up I think) after next year
2) Benson was #4 overall pick 2 years ago and Angelo (GM) wants him on the field.
3) Benson only missed 1 game in his college career (concussion). Granted they hit harder in NFL and he's been banged up (at least rookie year).
4) What other teams need a RB still? Denver just signed Henry. Maybe this was best value. Hopefully they have their eye on someone.

The puzzling part is how this relates to the team outlook for '07 and also Briggs. The 2 situations contradict each other:

Jones--going into last year of contract and unhappy about splitting time w/ Benson. So they get rid of him.

Briggs--wants long term deal, Bears franchise knowing they're likely to keep him for '07. He isn't likely to go anywhere.

Bears know they can get back to SuperBowl in '07. Briggs is a big part. But so is(was) Jones IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

MyTurn2Raise 03-06-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he does and he should
Briggs > Urlacher

CarlSpackler 03-06-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... Stealing that second-rounder last year from Washington was awesome!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... so true, so true

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll see who's laughing when Rocky McIntosh makes the pro bowl this year! (contingent upon him earning the starting WLB spot obv.)

TonyDanza 03-06-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Peterson too. He is the best.

SossMan 03-06-2007 05:28 PM

meh, RBs are a dime a dozen.

Case Closed 03-06-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
meh, RBs are a dime a dozen.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

DrewDevil 03-06-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's also about 10x better than Benson.

SharkTank43 03-06-2007 05:44 PM

According to ESPN.com, Benson didn't fumble his last two years at Texas.

DrewDevil 03-06-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to ESPN.com, Benson didn't fumble his last two years at Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's wrong.

Colt McCoy 03-06-2007 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the idea someone would draft Peterson to fill in as a second back is silly.

SharkTank43 03-06-2007 05:48 PM

Yep, other sources have shown he had fumbling issues his senior year. ESPN blows.

TheNoodleMan 03-06-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the idea someone would draft Peterson to fill in as a second back is silly.

[/ QUOTE ]
learn your Adrian Petersons

web page

DrewDevil 03-06-2007 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

web page

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy chit! Hahaha, I had no idea there was ANOTHER RB named Adrian Peterson.

Is Adrian a common name for men these days?

AbreuTime 03-06-2007 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

web page

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy chit! Hahaha, I had no idea there was ANOTHER RB named Adrian Peterson.

Is Adrian a common name for men these days?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, yes it is.

http://www.terminalinertia.com/image...7-09Adrian.jpg

illini43 03-06-2007 06:16 PM

The Adrian Peterson the Bears already have is a great RB.

mblax10 03-06-2007 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Adrian Peterson the Bears already have is a great RB.
And the best special teamer in the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those saying the Bears only swapped 2nd round picks. Moving from the 63rd pick to 37th pick has roughly the same value as adding the 65th pick (round 3 pick 1).

I'm content with the trade and am very happy to have 2 picks in the top 40, lots of good LB's & O-Lineman to choose from.

Should we just go ahead and re-name this the Bears off-season thread? Many other teams are getting their own threads.