Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Stupid intern gets owned by boss via email (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=538875)

solids 11-05-2007 12:07 PM

Stupid intern gets owned by boss via email

The following is a cliffsnotes version of a forwarded email I recently received from a coworker. This coworker knows this kid from back in college. The names and pictures have been slightly modified, as I don't want to completely trainwreck this kid. I already feel bad enough for him...

"Fred" is currently a senior at a relatively reputable college in the Boston area. He also interns at a large, international firm 2 or 3 days a week. He will receive college credit for the internship, as well as a future job (as long as he doesn't [censored] it up).

Fred was scheduled to work early on November 1st. Of course, being the day after Halloween, this simply wouldn't work for a college senior. He decided to email his boss (let's call him "David") the afternoon of the 31st. Fred told David that he wouldn't be able to make it to work the next day, as he had to go home to New York for a family emergency. Fred went out that night, got completely [censored] up, and slept in late the next morning.

The afternoon of the 1st, Fred decided to check his email, and found this gem from his boss:

"Fred,

Thanks for letting us know--hope everything is ok in New York. (cool wand)

Cheers,
David

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...dumbintern.jpg "

Notice the gay makeup around the eyes.

Unbeknownst to Fred, a fellow coworker had checked his facebook page and found this picture from the night before. The picture eventually found it's way to David.

Oh, and David cc'ed the entire firm. Fred is currently freaking out.

This would probably be my worst nightmare.

Lazy Meatball 11-05-2007 12:11 PM

Re: Stupid intern gets owned by boss via email

couldn't he have just went to a gay costume party the saturday before like everyone else?

and always treat your myspace/facebook page as if your parents, employer, or current or ex girlfriend can see it.

ps. did the boss include the pic in the email?

garcia1000 11-05-2007 12:13 PM

Even with his eyes blacked out, he looks douchey

Sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

eviljeff 11-05-2007 12:16 PM

sounds like the boss doesn't care that much and just wanted to embarrass him a little. Fred should briefly come clean, apologize, and then continue on.

solids 11-05-2007 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the boss included the picture in the company-wide email, which makes this whole thing that much funnier.

KilgoreTrout 11-05-2007 12:23 PM

This is one reason why I don't have a facebook/myspace account. The other reason is that I am vastly unpopular and have pathetic personal grooming.

O Fen�meno 11-05-2007 12:24 PM

these are the kinda of posts that make me very gitty inside

XXXNoahXXX 11-05-2007 12:25 PM

yeah the first thing I did when i graduated college was set my facebook to private and delete all picture of me blacked out, etc.

this kid is an idiot.

BPA234 11-05-2007 12:27 PM

Stupid, obvious lies are insulting to those who have to hear them.

4_2_it 11-05-2007 12:28 PM

This is awesome.

Boss -- 1
Intern -- nil

J.A.Sucker 11-05-2007 12:29 PM

It's funny and all, but your boss better look out if he plans on firing him now. Two words: sexual harassment.

AquaSwing 11-05-2007 12:30 PM

This kind of behavior is encouraged at my place of work.

RoundGuy 11-05-2007 12:30 PM

1. No way he'll get fired
2. He's become an instant legend at his firm
3. He'll never live it down, and he'll be ridiculed daily for the next five years

4_2_it 11-05-2007 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's funny and all, but your boss better look out if he plans on firing him now. Two words: sexual harassment.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's an intern and probably is gone by Christmas.

KilgoreTrout 11-05-2007 12:35 PM

Someone should wallpaper his cubicle with that image when he goes out to lunch. Be creative. Treat this image like Moshzilla.

The Owl 11-05-2007 12:36 PM

I semi-regularly check my employees' myspace pages for this sort of thing, and always root around the internet before hiring someone. Let this be a lesson to everyone.

Alobar 11-05-2007 12:39 PM

so the first thing he did when he got home drunk was put up a pic of himself in his Halloween outfit?

while funny if true, these forwards are always fake

eviljeff 11-05-2007 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah the first thing I did when i graduated college was set my facebook to private and delete all picture of me blacked out, etc.

this kid is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

friend of mine recently was contacted by the general counsel of his summer firm asking him to remove a wall post he made to another summer accusing some partner of being a pedophile

J.A.Sucker 11-05-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. He'll never live it down, and he'll be ridiculed daily for the next five years

[/ QUOTE ]

As it should be. I do agree with the hilarity of all of this (especially the "cool wand" comment). Gold.

I also know that corporate America is super-nitty and lame about "sensitivity" and all kinds of other stuff I can't stand (or who's culture I can't fit into)...

solids 11-05-2007 12:45 PM

Yeah, I just went on facebook and substantially increased the security feature.

To be fair to the kid, his photo was 'tagged' by a friend, and he wasn't able to delete it before his boss saw.

This email is really making the rounds, though. I sent it to my brother, who used to work on Wall Street, but now works at a private equity firm. He told me that these emails aren't even that unusual (especially in the financial industry). Here's one of the funnier examples: CHUNG is KING

XXXNoahXXX 11-05-2007 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this kid is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

friend of mine recently was contacted by the general counsel of his summer firm asking him to remove a wall post he made to another summer accusing some partner of being a pedophile

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone I know actually listed the firm they were working at on facebook and then under job description was something like "slacking, napping, leaving early, playing solitaire."

somehow this got to people at the firm and his leash was shortened considerably for the rest of the summer.

solids 11-05-2007 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so the first thing he did when he got home drunk was put up a pic of himself in his Halloween outfit?

while funny if true, these forwards are always fake

[/ QUOTE ]

No, a friend of his at the party tagged the picture of him.

And yes, this story is 100% true. It has been confirmed by my coworker, who knew him personally.

Ineedaride2 11-05-2007 12:55 PM

So I'm assuming he's going to get canned because he was drinking Busch light?

Jzo19 11-05-2007 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ughh that has to be the crappiest beer ever ...GG intern

bottomset 11-05-2007 01:03 PM

did he ask a gay guy to suck his dick, and then uppercut him when he agreed to it?

I hear that is the standard play when you dress up like a gay dude for halloween

MikeyPatriot 11-05-2007 01:05 PM

Optimal play would be to show up to work the next day in the Halloween costume.

TalkingDonkey 11-05-2007 01:10 PM

idiot. how hard is it to click one box and disable your photos?

dkgojackets 11-05-2007 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait...where is the beer in the picture?

Alobar 11-05-2007 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait...where is the beer in the picture?

[/ QUOTE ]
you must have just been so mesmerized by his soft smooth skin and boyish smile that you missed it. Don't feel bad, its in his left hand tho if you can make your eyes wander over that far

dkgojackets 11-05-2007 01:30 PM

I have the strange feeling like I'm being levelled.

Case Closed 11-05-2007 01:36 PM

Did this kid get fired?(I'd fire him IMO)

Poofler 11-05-2007 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this kid is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone I know actually listed the firm they were working at on facebook and then under job description was something like "slacking, napping, leaving early, playing solitaire."

somehow this got to people at the firm and his leash was shortened considerably for the rest of the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know of a summer intern at a Boston firm last year who mentioned the firm in facebook or myspace this summer, and wailed on some partners in a post. Offer rescinded, after taking the bar.

mosdef 11-05-2007 01:38 PM

If this is actually true, the only way he could ever recover from that is to wear the costume to work for a day. If he did, everyone would have a great big laugh and he could laugh at himself and then they'd make him change and people would remember him for being a good sport. But he'll never do that, he'll just quit.

Poofler 11-05-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fire him for poor excuse execution. You expect a little fake abscence here and there.

traz 11-05-2007 01:44 PM

doucy?

Lottery Larry 11-05-2007 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the boss included the picture in the company-wide email, which makes this whole thing that much funnier.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first reaction- the idiot intern deserved that (and possibly being fired)

My second reaction- that might have been a bad management decision by the boss

kipin 11-05-2007 01:46 PM

Seems like if this kid gets fired, the boss is opening himself up to possible liability with the public humiliation and all.

I dunno, to me it seems like both the kid, and the boss are douchebags.

Case Closed 11-05-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fire him for poor excuse execution. You expect a little fake abscence here and there.

[/ QUOTE ]
As a boss I would be livid about this. This kid was handed a great opportunity and could not even muster up the will to not get black out drunk for one night and show up to his new job the next day. This being on the first day, he also used the family emergency excuse which lacks a lot of class. I am sure there are tons of better kids for that position, why would his boss pick a loser like that?

g-bebe 11-05-2007 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

qft

clearly this boss has a sense of humour and didn't mind him getting hammered on halloween. sometimes these things can go bad with the wrong people but if the boss is cool enough, it can be a good thing too.

Poofler 11-05-2007 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As a boss I would be livid about this. This kid was handed a great opportunity and could not even muster up the will to not get black out drunk for one night and show up to his new job the next day. This being on the first day, he also used the family emergency excuse which lacks a lot of class. I am sure there are tons of better kids for that position, why would his boss pick a loser like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, poor excuse execution. I'd want my employees to be a little sharper than him.