Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   greeting girls... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521400)

ski 10-12-2007 09:09 AM

greeting girls...

I never know what to do physically....

Say u have a friend/aquantience that you are meeting for drinks. They bring some women along..

Like I'm not in France so I can't do that fake kiss thing although I like that, handshake seems to manly. I generally go with hug but I think it seems a bit too forward. Just waving seems pretty gay. Kissing the hand seems too 500 years ago/old creepy European guy ...ideas?

Does it change if u just meet ur friend on the subway and they introduce you to some chicks?

elus2 10-12-2007 09:14 AM

Re: greeting girls...

Shake with your right hand and cup over with left hand simultaneously.

kerowo 10-12-2007 09:15 AM

I get the sense that nothing about you is "to" manly.

mbillie1 10-12-2007 09:16 AM

Strike over the head with club, drag by the hair back to cave, make wife.

fees 10-12-2007 09:16 AM

you can just shake their hands.. its fine, but you really dont have to, just open them

Suigin406 10-12-2007 09:16 AM

really?? a hug seems excessive to me and i don't think i've done it unless the girl has initated it...

tbh, i just give a stupid little wave with my hand, but i'm a geek like that, handshake too

edit: nodding the had too

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-12-2007 09:18 AM

smile and slight head nod.

elus2 10-12-2007 09:18 AM

Depends on the situation of course but it is definitely appropriate sometimes

ski 10-12-2007 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get the sense that nothing about you is "to" manly.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say just manly enough..

ofdabeat 10-12-2007 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
smile and slight head nod.

[/ QUOTE ]

spot on in Thailand

Also Kerowo has great instinct.

PS: For some reason i reread the OP.

"I don't know what to do when greeting girls."

WTF

tarheeljks 10-12-2007 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
really?? a hug seems excessive to me and i don't think i've done it unless the girl has initated it...

[/ QUOTE ]

same here. also, even if the girl routinely hugs you when you see her i don't think you should be going in for the hug.

i usually just acknowledge her w/a head nod or something, but if she wants hug fine.

Phresh 10-12-2007 09:29 AM

I give them a shoulder pound like my favorite rappers do.

Keepitsimple 10-12-2007 09:30 AM

i usually hug, its no big deal?

tarheeljks 10-12-2007 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on your mo. girls have hugged me as a greeting, but i'm pretty sure they would find it strange if i were to initiate the hug.

what's your mo op, besides being generally oblivious [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ski 10-12-2007 09:38 AM

the [censored] is mo?

adsman 10-12-2007 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather masturbate with a cheese grator than hug a female on first meeting them.

JPantz 10-12-2007 09:47 AM

Most of the time a hand shake if they look classy. Maybe a little frat boy/wanna be thug style "sup?" depending on the situation.

Klompy 10-12-2007 09:54 AM

So wait, we're talking about the friends of your friend right? In that case I go with a "hey, how are you guys doing?" or something similar with no physical contact.

tboss888 10-12-2007 10:52 AM

Go in for the hug but don't let go for at least 10 secs while breathing heavily, then at the end ever so slightly cup the right ass cheek. She won't forget you!

traz 10-12-2007 10:56 AM

If you can establish the kind of personality that hugs every girl he meets, it's a very positive thing.

Handshakes with cupping the hand is good too. Iunno, just be friendly and fun, I don't even think about my physical actions, more how I come across.

ContactGSW 10-12-2007 10:59 AM

Look straight in the eye with a smile, and say hi, hello , how are you, nice to meet you etc depending on the formality of the situation; then say their names, it will help you remember who they are. Look for their cues as to shaking hands hugging etc and go with that as you are making eye contact. Eye contact is huge, you are giving them you at that moment of time, just you, what they or you do with it afterwards may be up in the air but you're in play. Oh, if this is Japan you are in don't do any of that crap, just bow or somethin.

Mr_Moore 10-12-2007 11:01 AM

Clap on the shoulder followed by a weird smile.

ski 10-12-2007 11:05 AM

yeah, bowing works good for japan.

You're supposed to wai or something in Thailand but I think thats BS. I just hug here because its really against their culture to hug but I think they dig getting some contact and mixing things up (sorta how I (we?) think its cool if a japanese person bows at us) and I can just claim ignorance.

OP was more for European/American Girls.

I'm presently doing something like the eye contact cue. If they look too uptight I'll just nod my head or shake their hand. Name thing is good, usually when I first meet someone I'm too busy concentrating on what I'm going to say to really listent to them at all.

diddyeinstein 10-12-2007 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the [censored] is mo?

[/ QUOTE ]

modus operandi = what you do.

Steven_Q_Erkel 10-12-2007 11:21 AM

Fist pump.

DCJ311 10-12-2007 11:30 AM

I usually throw them the rock or a big high five and goofy grin, because life is a big joke anyways. Any girl that won't high five you is an automatic throwaway, also.

traz 10-12-2007 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sike high-five

[/ QUOTE ]

supafrey 10-12-2007 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sike high-five

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing gets me in good with a new chick like my "down-low / too-slow" rope-a-dope.

MissT74 10-12-2007 12:49 PM

Shake my hand when you meet me, unless the person who introduces us is very close to both of us, ie my boyfriends' brother or best friend for 20 years and I'm just meeting him for the first time, then hug is totally acceptable.

The double cheek kiss is expected and accepted from anyone who is from over the pond, only.

T

MVPaul 10-12-2007 01:12 PM

Be gansta and give 'er a pound while you flash her your grill. Geez.

ifckladyluck 10-12-2007 01:20 PM

first and foremost... SMILE
wait a second and either one of two things will happen:

A. she will go to shake your hand, if she does this then you immediately neg her. ie. oh alright, i didnt realize you were this professional, and give her an exaggerated shake. she will laugh 99% of the time this has been fieldtested to oblivion

B. she does nothing; kiss her on the cheek.

Toro 10-12-2007 01:31 PM

If it's social and not business I usually take both her hands and just lean in and give a peck on the cheek.

MicroBob 10-12-2007 01:45 PM

Ha. I've been thinking about something like this lately because I am going to a wedding next week and will be seeing various cousins and other relatives who I don't even know and don't keep in touch with. But they are my relatives even though I practically have to be reintroduced to them because we don't even know each other nor would we recognize each other.

My thoughts are that a hug just seems too weird for somebody who I haven't seen since I was like 10. But they're my relatives so a handshake seems too oddly distant.

And then there will be people maybe from the other party who I will end up meeting through somebody I know and that will be a different strategy I guess.

My strategy was going to be to drink a lot and not give a crap and just wing it.
Me and my GF and my sister and her BF will probably all get drunk in a corner and just laugh at everyone.

But I like some of the ideas in this thread and think that alternating between high-fives and sup's and other random greetings could be fun.

Also, I think the cup-your-hand-over double-handshake thing is kind of lame.

Hopey 10-12-2007 02:08 PM

I always go with the intercourse hello. It breaks the ice.

guids 10-12-2007 03:07 PM

If I know the girl, and havent seen her in awhile, double cheek kiss, but I can pull that off, if Ive never met them before, the ugly ones Ill greet first with a nod, smirk, and a nice to meet you, the hot one Ill greet last with a hand shake with the right hand and the left hand on her elbow/forearm,

ps I make the most eye contact with the hot one when introduced to a group

kutuz_off 10-12-2007 03:13 PM

Fist pound, yo. Most girls never ever get to do it like at all, and many are amused by it.

NajdorfDefense 10-12-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The double cheek kiss is expected and accepted from anyone who is from over the pond, only.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true in NYC, Miami, and more cosmopolitan cities. Many women go immediately in for the air-kiss upon meeting any new person, American or not.

In more red states, handshake, smile and nod, whatever is appropriate for the culture and place you're meeting them [biz v friend's house v bar etc]

DrewDevil 10-12-2007 04:42 PM

Just do what Janis Joplin did when meeting new members of the opposite sex.

"Hey, you're foxy! I hope we [censored] later."

Alobar 10-12-2007 04:45 PM

I say "hi, nice to meet you" and smile

El Diablo 10-12-2007 05:10 PM

All,

While I would love to just rip on this OP because at first glance it seems like such a retarded question/problem, in reality I think it's actually a valid issue!

Guys: You try to shake their hand and half the time, especially if they are a little younger, they transition into some sort of 18-step handshake process, perhaps culminating in some sort of hug or something or maybe just a bash brothers forearm bump or something. So f'ing annoying. I am all for this sort of thing w/ friends, but think it's weird when guys I am meeting for the first time do this.

Girls: I generally just go for whatever they do, but half the time they fake me out starting like a handshake and then going for a hug, or doing an air kiss where I'm trying to figure out if I'm supposed to actually kiss their cheek or not. Nothing more retarded than kissing the air when the girl is actually giving you a kiss on the cheek, but timing here is critical. Also there's the whole one cheek or both thing. And sometimes that happens with a distance between you, other times it's in conjunction with a hug.

Ugh, F all this. From now on, I'm going with this 100%:

http://imgred.com/http://www.clipart...-2700-2323.jpg

http://imgred.com/http://upload.wiki...545px-Wink.JPG