Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Facebook turns down $750M acquisition offer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=76821)

El Diablo 04-01-2006 08:18 PM

Facebook turns down $750M acquisition offer

Facebook looking for $2 Billion

"the company was launched just two years ago by a group of sophomores at Harvard University, led by Mark Zuckerberg"

All you college kids are gonna make this dude RICH.

Also, here are pics of a $12B girlfriend Larry Page and girlfriend.

The DaveR 04-01-2006 08:28 PM

Re: Facebook turns down $750M acquisition offer

Great article. Revenue data?

Michael Davis 04-01-2006 08:29 PM

"Also, here are pics of a $12B girlfriend Larry Page and girlfriend."

For a billionaire, that's pathetic.

-Michael

daryn 04-01-2006 08:30 PM

dude, take the money!

that chick is totally my style

JaBlue 04-01-2006 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, take the money!

that chick is totally my style

[/ QUOTE ]

... her teeth are really wierd?

El Diablo 04-01-2006 08:37 PM

M,

More on Lucy

" Currently a Ph.D. candidate at Stanford, Southworth boasts degrees in mathematical biology from the University of Pennsylvania and applied math from Oxford.

She’s affiliated with Stanford’s prestigious Biomedical Informatics lab, which combines computer technology with biology to solve tough medical problems, particularly in the field of genetics.

Like Page, Southworth wants to better the world. She recently spent time in Cape Town, South Africa, working at the joint Stanford-South Africa biomedical program, which uses advanced technology to battlethe spread of infectious diseases there."

I think that's pretty cool. Her sister is model/actress Carrie Southworth.

Brain 04-01-2006 08:44 PM

Maybe Mr. Zuckerberg could weigh in on this issue.

diddle 04-01-2006 08:45 PM

Good lord.

gamblore99 04-01-2006 08:47 PM

what is really cool is Zuckerberg can use facebook to get in touch with all his friends from highschool and brag about all the money he is making from it.

KaneKungFu123 04-01-2006 08:54 PM

how much did it cost him to start their website?

diddle 04-01-2006 08:56 PM

very little. prob less than many people on this board have in their neteller accounts

ImsaKidd 04-01-2006 08:57 PM

I seriously thought this was an April Fool's joke article, then I saw the March 28th date.

That's a crazy amount for a 2 year old site.

KaneKungFu123 04-01-2006 09:00 PM

http://www.myspaceruinslives.com/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

bisonbison 04-01-2006 09:03 PM

At Google events larry and blond g-friend are always in evidence. I've never gotten a good look at her, but honestly, more power to her.

El Diablo 04-01-2006 09:17 PM

KKF,

These types of sites can be started for essentially nothing.

bowens 04-01-2006 09:23 PM

Absoulutly unreal. 750 mil? And they turned it down. Ugh. Must mean they think it will go for more. Wow. Just wow.

KaneKungFu123 04-01-2006 09:28 PM

i am brain storming now because i want to be a billionaire.

wacki 04-01-2006 09:34 PM

Re: Facebook turns down $750M acquisition offer *DELETED*

I don't understand why facebook was such a hit. Websites like classmates.com and many others have been around for a very long time. So what made this such a huge innovation? Is is simply because it's more "myspace" like? I dunno i haven't used any of those sites.

*TT* 04-01-2006 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"the company was launched just two years ago by a group of sophomores at Harvard University, led by Mark Zuckerberg"

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't there a blog posting at CNET or some other place that said they think the offer was actually placed to drive additional interest about the business?

Interestingly enough the following day NewsGroup released some stats on MySpace, apparently its the best performing online media vehicle they have.

- note this is all from memory, I haven't fact checked.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

surfinillini 04-01-2006 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why facebook was such a hit. Websites like classmates.com have been around for a very long time. So what made this such a huge innovation? Is is simply because it's more "myspace" like? I dunno i haven't used any of those sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

classmates is a pay site

to my knowledge, facebook is FREE

Gildwulf 04-01-2006 09:38 PM

She is hot, wtf are you guys talking about

El Diablo 04-01-2006 09:40 PM

wacki,

sixdegrees.com was around long before any of this stuff. Friendster had millions of users before MySpace/Facebook/etc existed. Friendster is stumbling along while MySpace sold for $580M and continues to grow and Facebook is looking at billion-dollarish offers. It's not about innovation, it's about execution and timing.

bowens 04-01-2006 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wacki,

sixdegrees.com was around long before any of this stuff. Friendster had millions of users before MySpace/Facebook/etc existed. Friendster is stumbling along while MySpace sold for $580M and continues to grow and Facebook is looking at billion-dollarish offers. It's not about innovation, it's about execution and timing.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

Why do you think that is? What was special about the execution and timing of facebook and myspace as opposed to the others?

Tron 04-01-2006 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why facebook was such a hit. Websites like classmates.com have been around for a very long time. So what made this such a huge innovation? Is is simply because it's more "myspace" like? I dunno i haven't used any of those sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

classmates is a pay site

to my knowledge, facebook is FREE

[/ QUOTE ]

And for what it's worth, facebook is not very similar to MySpace

wacki 04-01-2006 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not about innovation, it's about execution and timing.

[/ QUOTE ]

A free service on the internet is the last place I would of expected "timing" to be so critical. I am more interested now than ever in figuring out why this was such a huge hit when so many others failed.

Snupoker 04-01-2006 09:53 PM

Its very simple, its free, it tells you when peoples birthday's are. What else can you ask for?

El Diablo 04-01-2006 10:00 PM

wacki,

There have been countless articles written answering exactly the question you ask. Here's one decent writeup.

For lots of coverage and analysis of the space, see here.

NT! 04-01-2006 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A free service on the internet is the last place I would of expected "timing" to be so critical. I am more interested now than ever in figuring out why this was such a huge hit when so many others failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think myspace is executed much better. The way the profiles are displayed and executed is much more appealing to a lot of people, plus it has bands and better promotions, and initially had better photo hosting, comments, etc. Friendster is starting to catch up on some of those but the interface is still not as good.

Facebook is a hit for different reasons, specific to meeting college kids at your own school, and is set up well for that.

NT

KingMedicine 04-01-2006 10:38 PM

there are a lot of gums in that couple.

mass mass gums.

gums everywhere.

bigscore 04-02-2006 12:39 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ev1/r8dswm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...v1/mr-bean.jpg

sushijerk 04-02-2006 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
M,

More on Lucy

" Currently a Ph.D. candidate at Stanford, Southworth boasts degrees in mathematical biology from the University of Pennsylvania and applied math from Oxford.

She’s affiliated with Stanford’s prestigious Biomedical Informatics lab, which combines computer technology with biology to solve tough medical problems, particularly in the field of genetics.

Like Page, Southworth wants to better the world. She recently spent time in Cape Town, South Africa, working at the joint Stanford-South Africa biomedical program, which uses advanced technology to battlethe spread of infectious diseases there."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is impressive as hell. I find this very sexy.

Skittles 04-02-2006 02:09 AM

I believe he turned down $90M about 18 months ago. Something I heard from a friend who went to high school with Mark

talentdeficit 04-02-2006 02:20 AM

he should have taken the 750 mil.

no one knows what to do with these web2.0 sites, they're just buying them because they have traffic and online advertising is once again seeing tons of money being shoved it's way. that's going to change though.

google is about to take a huge hit when they announce all the clickfraud lawsuits they'll be settling and that they're going to be pushing rich content advertising (interstertials and flash banners and hovers and all that other stuff you block with firefox). when the market leader's advertising business model collapses, that's surely going to cause yet another online advertising crash.

once that happens, facebook and myspace and flikr and blogger revert to being massive content sites with no real way to generate signifigant revenue. by the time advertising online is in vogue again, facebook will no longer be the hot thing.

technologic 04-02-2006 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice. i actually know mark personally, he lives in my area and went to my public school until 10th grade, and can say that he's definitely worked his ass off to get this far. he's been inventing wacky computer crap since 6th grade, it was only a matter of time until he hit on something this successful. i believe prior to this, he had developed a music preference generator, basically a program that learned what you listened to and made a playlist for you, that got stolen from microsoft since he didn't want to sell for 1m.

facebook actually developed from a prank that got him in deep [censored] at harvard...funny how he's probably sticking it to them with the megabucks he's getting

Sponger. 04-02-2006 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you some sort of magical business wizard?

MCS 04-02-2006 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Also, here are pics of a $12B girlfriend Larry Page and girlfriend."

For a billionaire, that's pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] that. If he's not happy, they'll break up. If he's happy, why shouldn't he date her?

Also, I think she's attractive, and she seems smart too. She seems like a pretty good catch to me.

KaneKungFu123 04-02-2006 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he should have taken the 750 mil.

no one knows what to do with these web2.0 sites, they're just buying them because they have traffic and online advertising is once again seeing tons of money being shoved it's way. that's going to change though.

google is about to take a huge hit when they announce all the clickfraud lawsuits they'll be settling and that they're going to be pushing rich content advertising (interstertials and flash banners and hovers and all that other stuff you block with firefox). when the market leader's advertising business model collapses, that's surely going to cause yet another online advertising crash.

once that happens, facebook and myspace and flikr and blogger revert to being massive content sites with no real way to generate signifigant revenue. by the time advertising online is in vogue again, facebook will no longer be the hot thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you know this? who are you? what do you do?

NLSoldier 04-02-2006 03:45 AM

Diablo,

I have a feeling you think they shouldve taken the money right?

neverforgetlol 04-02-2006 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe he turned down $90M about 18 months ago. Something I heard from a friend who went to high school with Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

people are retards

KaneKungFu123 04-02-2006 03:50 AM

I think anyone would take the money. Why risk it? For me atleast, 700 million is basically the same as 2 billion.

That is like what 35 million/year in a money market account?

Jesus!