Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Skip Bayless is the stupidest man alive (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=119979)

FlyWf 05-22-2006 10:38 PM

Skip Bayless is the stupidest man alive

The overwhelming evidence.

LionelHutz00 05-22-2006 11:00 PM

Re: Skip Bayless is the stupidest man alive

I'll be the first here to say duh.

Phoenix1010 05-22-2006 11:17 PM

I think that's the first sports article I've ever read that actually made me angry. What a [censored] moron.

Jack of Arcades 05-22-2006 11:18 PM

You haven't read enopugh Skip Bayless if that's the first one to make you angry.

Schwartzy61 05-22-2006 11:26 PM

Sometimes I think he just sits and there and tries to figure out what will incense the majority of readers the most and then writes that...

His Boy Elroy 05-22-2006 11:29 PM

I actually thought that it was a decent article, other than the "he bites his nails because he's scared" thing. Dude does that all the freaking time. I'm not sure why everyone is ready to fight Skip over just this article; I'm assuming its been a combination of previous articles and this was finally the breaking point. I didn't see anything in this article that was overly infmlammatory in my opinion...

Pudge714 05-22-2006 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You haven't read enopugh Skip Bayless if that's the first one to make you angry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Victor 05-22-2006 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MCS 05-22-2006 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True dat. Worst ESPN writer/personality/analyst, hands down. It's not even close, and I'm not someone to overuse "it's not even close." Bayless is truly awful.

(Other medalists in the Worst ESPN Person Contest: Jay Mariotti, Jason Whitlock)

Victor 05-22-2006 11:40 PM

well, his points about lebron not being on jordans level are correct but no one can touch jordan. its just a really petty article.

srjunkacct 05-23-2006 12:08 AM

Towards the end of Lebron's senior year, Charley Rosen proclaimed on Page 2 that Lebron would be no more than an "average" NBA player.

Definitely agree that Skip Bayless is a bozo, though.

Aytumious 05-23-2006 12:15 AM

Rosen

tolbiny 05-23-2006 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rosen

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap. I mean, holy crap. AND then i figure it out
"Charley Rosen, a former coach in the Continental Basketball Association"

wonderwes 05-23-2006 01:28 AM

When Jim Rome goes on break, you have to find out the days he hosts the show so you can call in. When he runs hosts, its non-stop phone calls.

Taraz 05-23-2006 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rosen

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like Charley Rosen's stuff. He's really, really negative about everything, but he's pretty honest and breaks things down from a coach's perspective. FWIW, I think he had an article on Foxsports.com where he laughed at how dumb he was for thinking Lebron would be average.

claremont14 05-23-2006 03:12 AM

I'm pretty sure that guys like Bayless don't actually believe the crap they write, they just say it to try and stir stuff up and get attention, because they know they will never get it by making genuine insights into the game, who really cares about some 2nd rate ESPN online columnist?

CharlieDontSurf 05-23-2006 05:03 AM

Is Charley Rosen the big fat black guy?

teamdonkey 05-23-2006 05:41 AM

that's Jason Whitlock... IMO he's the worst of the bunch.

TheRover 05-23-2006 05:54 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't hate Whitlock? The fact that I never watch any TV shows he's on might help, but he does seem to understand a few things about the NFL that goes beyond your typical media garbage.

teamdonkey 05-23-2006 05:59 AM

my biggest problem with him is how racially motivated his columns can be. Playing the race card over and over, especially when it's painfully obvious it has nothing to do with whatever hes talking about, is inexcusable.

Aces McGee 05-23-2006 10:04 AM

Exhibit B

(This was written May 19)

-McGee

Athos 05-23-2006 11:21 AM

"That is unacceptable for a player who (somehow) made first team All-NBA and finished second in MVP voting."

Niiiiiice.

Bulldog 05-23-2006 11:44 AM

I agree with this part:

[ QUOTE ]
If he's really serious about becoming a great player, he'll hire a shooting coach and shoot 1,000 jumpers a day through the offseason. Michael and Magic taught themselves to be very good shooters in their third or fourth pro seasons. Yes, LeBron improved dramatically from last season -- but he still has a long, long way to Michael or Magic.

That leaning-tower jumper of his, with that awkward-looking release point anywhere from above his left to above his right ear, is terribly inconsistent, especially under pressure. Sometimes, he wills in 3-pointers on pure emotion. But mostly, he's just another streak shooter -- more cold than hot.

When dared to shoot outside by a triple-teaming defense collapsing into the paint, LeBron has no pure stroke to rely on. If that develops, look out, legends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with pretty much everything else.

holeplug 05-23-2006 11:46 AM

Throw me into the "he just writes his columns to get people riled up" pile.

battschr 05-23-2006 11:48 AM

You agree that he 'wills in three-pointers?'

Bulldog 05-23-2006 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Exhibit B

(This was written May 19)

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

From this article:

[ QUOTE ]
The sixth came when Dirk Nowitzki went hurtling down the lane and Duncan merely ran across his path, making sure to hold his hands back over his shoulders and away from Nowitzki's arms. But Nowitzki stepped on Duncan's foot and went crashing into the photographers.

Referee Joey Crawford, one of the best, was standing in the corner near Cuban. He blew his whistle. Then he walked all the way to the official scorer before divulging if Duncan was gone. You wonder if Crawford was trying to think of a scenario in which he could pin it on any other Spur.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. From his description, what Duncan did WAS a foul. And the official followed procedure exactly--report the foul to the scorer.

Bayless. Idiot.

gusmahler 05-23-2006 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually thought that it was a decent article, other than the "he bites his nails because he's scared" thing. Dude does that all the freaking time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a common theme on ESPN, it seems. Everyone notes that Lebron does that. But I agree that I doubt he does it out of nervousness. I do believe that it looks stupid.

I saw an interview with Joe Montana where Montana was doing that. I thought to myself, "dude may be considered one of the greatest QB of all-time because of 4 SB rings and 3 SB MVPs, but he looks like a doofus when he keeps sticking his fingers in his mouth."

gusmahler 05-23-2006 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rosen

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what's so bad about the article. He DOES say that Lebron could be a star. He merely points out his weaknesses (left hand; defense), weaknesses that most people agree that Lebron has. Nowhere does he say that Lebron will be "average".

srjunkacct 05-23-2006 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rosen

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what's so bad about the article. He DOES say that Lebron could be a star. He merely points out his weaknesses (left hand; defense), weaknesses that most people agree that Lebron has. Nowhere does he say that Lebron will be "average".

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't the column where he claimed Lebron would be an average player; it was a throwaway comment in another column. I can't seem to find it right now, but he and plenty of other readers remember it:

link

SomethingClever 05-23-2006 12:36 PM

I agree Bayless is a giant douchebag, but I could find 10 articles more incriminating than this one.

Bulldog 05-23-2006 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You agree that he 'wills in three-pointers?'

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, scratch that sentence from what I agree with. But his point about LeBron going to the next level only if he gets a consistent jumper is valid.

junsie 05-23-2006 12:54 PM

Him and Marriotti have to be running 1-2 for worst sports writers in the country. Around the Horn is unwatchable with either on there.

Victor 05-23-2006 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rosen

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lebron is awesome with his left hand. he drives and finishes crazy layups lefty routinely.

the other problem with the article is the ridiculous assertion that lebron is lazy and basically a cherrypicker.

maybe this stuff was true back then.

Aytumious 05-23-2006 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rosen

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't the column where he claimed Lebron would be an average player; it was a throwaway comment in another column. I can't seem to find it right now, but he and plenty of other readers remember it:

link

[/ QUOTE ]

At the bottom

"A note to long-suffering Cavaliers' fans: Don't get caught in the LeBron James pipe dream. The best King James can ever be is an average NBA player."

waldo027 05-23-2006 02:22 PM

I've known that Skip Bayless was a complete fool ever since he predicted the Padres would beat the Cardinals in the first round of the MLB playoffs last year.

Bulldog 05-23-2006 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"A note to long-suffering Cavaliers' fans: Don't get caught in the LeBron James pipe dream. The best King James can ever be is an average NBA player."

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy should have his hands amputated so he can never type again.

MCS 05-23-2006 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy should have his hands amputated so he can never type again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, so he was wrong about this. It's not like he continues to insist he was right and that LeBron is insanely overrated, like some writers would. That's much more annoying. He made a prediction, but it was wrong.

Also, there's always the Joe Morgan style of never actually answering anything: "Well, it's hard to know how young players will develop. If he keeps working, he could be a great player. But he could flame out. But you never really know. It depends on a lot of things. We just don't know yet."

Dids 05-23-2006 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've known that Skip Bayless was a complete fool ever since he predicted the Padres would beat the Cardinals in the first round of the MLB playoffs last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the list of reasons to think somebody is dumb- a prediction about a 5 game series isn't one of them.

Plus everybody else knew he was retarded for like 10 years before that.

TheRover 05-23-2006 07:17 PM

Bill Simmons:

[ QUOTE ]
Was anyone else disappointed that Skip Bayless wrote a "LeBron choked!" column instead of a "Barbaro choked!" column on Monday? Barbaro had a chance to go down in history -- instead, he chose to splatter his leg all over the track in front of 25,000 horrified fans. Some horses embrace the pressure, other horses run from it. Or in Barbaro's case, limp from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahhahaha

citanul 05-23-2006 07:26 PM

you did read his column like, last week, right, where he said htat lebron was going to get swept or 5 games'd out of the playoffs and "that would make him a better player in the long run" right? after he was so incredibly, incredibly wrong about that, he needed to find some other way of making it all lebron's fault anyway.

his logic for "why they would get swept" was that he hasn't progressed far enough.

thus his logic for why he couldn't win this series playing by himself was not "wow, he played a 1 on 5 game for most of this series, and still took one of the 3 best teams in the league to 7 games.

"couldn't shut the door in game 6" could very easilly be "were only in it in game 6" because of lebron.

skip is a pathetic human being.

does lebron have further upside potential? yes.

why he needs to write much more than that last couplet is beyond me. it's not "lebron's fault" his team blows. it's lebron's fault that his team is vaguely in contention.

citanul