Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Devastating Seinfeld News (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=454269)

CrazyEyez 07-18-2007 01:54 PM

Devastating Seinfeld News

This friend of mine and I constantly reference/discuss/make analogies to Seinfeld eps. On occasion, one of us will be discussing part of an ep, and the other will not recognize it. (This also happens sometimes when watching an ep on TV.) Panic sets in as you start to wonder if there's actually an ep you haven't seen.* Then you go on to hear about a different part of the same ep, and you're like Ohhhhhh yeah, I've seen that one. All is right with the world.

Well an episode came up today that I had no recollection of. I checked the greatest reference source in the world , and it's pretty much confirmed: I have not seen The Diplomat Club. This is obviously devastating news to me.

1) Does anyone else take Seinfeld this seriously?
2) Has this happened to you? How did you take it?
3) Why isn't there a Seinfeld trivia board game? There is one for Cheers (never played the game, not a huge fan of the show) and Simpsons, though the Simpsons one is horrible. "True or False: In episode 4-07, Marge is standing behind Homer when he eats the donut. --- False, she is standing on his right."

* True story about a guy I used to work with:
<discussing some randome topic>
me: That's like the soup nazi.
him: .....
him: Is that from that "Sein-field show?"
me (appalled): Uh, yeah.
him: Yeah I never really watched that.

I'll deal with the fact that you didn't watch the show. Fine. But to not even know how to PRONOUNCE THE NAME?!?! Where have you been?

So now whenever my original (knowledgeable) friend and I discuss the show, anytime one of us doesn't recognize a part the other is talking about, we are required to say, "Is that from that Seinfield show?"

Yes we are huge idiots.

Fabian 07-18-2007 01:57 PM

Re: Devastating Seinfeld News

I would feel happy learning there's an episode of a show I apparently love/worship/would have sex with/etc I haven't seen, which I can now see for the first time. The word devastating would not cross my mind.

MattSuspect 07-18-2007 01:59 PM

hah. interesting. def have seen all of the seinfelds, and this is a great one. I love it when George calls women "dear".

Cornell Fiji 07-18-2007 02:01 PM

The George subplot is pretty funny in this ep

nyc999 07-18-2007 02:08 PM

Yeah, I've seen that episode several times.

OP - two things:

1. I'm surprised you don't have these on DVD
2. You might be interested to know that Seinfeld has agreed to appear in the season premiere of 30 Rock, playing himself.

moondogg 07-18-2007 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would feel happy learning there's an episode of a show I apparently love/worship/would have sex with/etc I haven't seen, which I can now see for the first time. The word devastating would not cross my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I stumble across a Simpsons or Seinfeld ep I don't recognize, at first I get excited, then I realize that it must be a pretty crappy episode if it rarely/never gets played in syndication.

D104 07-18-2007 02:22 PM

I went through all the Simpsons episodes on wikipedia the other day and realized that I have seen every episode through Season 15. I'm not really sure how I should feel.

D

btmagnetw 07-18-2007 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went through all the Simpsons episodes on wikipedia the other day and realized that I have seen every episode through Season 15. I'm not really sure how I should feel.

D

[/ QUOTE ]stop watching at 10, for the love of god.

Soul Daddy 07-18-2007 02:28 PM

Strange. I'm pretty sure there are a good amount of Seinfields I haven't seen, but I've caught this one on several occasions.

Hiiiiiiii 07-18-2007 02:37 PM

Get over yourself/seinfeld. The show is over and so are its references. It was cool 2 years ago maybe, but is a waste of life/your time now. Find a new hobby.

jws43yale 07-18-2007 02:40 PM

I didn't start watching Seinfeld till it went to reruns. I now own every season released thus far and it is always amazing how there are many episodes I saw countless times in reruns and other episodes I had not even heard of.

hamsamich 07-18-2007 02:42 PM

Kramer betting on the planes ftw!!!

I wish I could see an episode of this show for the first time.

Aloysius 07-18-2007 02:45 PM

Huh, I've actually never seen this episode either. Then again I think Seinfeld, while having great moments, is generally overrated and has not aged well.

Soul Daddy:

"Rumours."
"No, it's all true."

-Al

suzzer99 07-18-2007 02:45 PM

I remember this phenomenon with Gilligan's island reruns when I was growing up. And most recently with NewsRadio and Futurama. Always weird how it seems like you've seen every other episode 3 or 4 times and then one you've never seen comes along.

Blarg 07-18-2007 02:48 PM

Agreed on both.

tuq 07-18-2007 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then again I think Seinfeld, while having great moments, is generally overrated and has not aged well.

[/ QUOTE ]
That does well to sum up my thoughts on the show. Never understood the frothing mania that so many people whose opinion I respect exhibited towards it, and I think the general consensus is that it started to suck ass once Larry David left. I have a several episodes recorded to my DVR that I only watch when I'm extremely bored or 2+2 is having one of its weekly outages.

Lord_Strife 07-18-2007 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I feel every time a new Entourage comes on, devastation is not in my mind but happiness sure is.

Kneel B4 Zod 07-18-2007 02:54 PM

I just started watching The Office, and think that my first run through these episodes is as funny as the first run through Seinfeld.

that may be blasphemy, but w/e

Dids 07-18-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get over yourself/seinfeld. The show is over and so are its references. It was cool 2 years ago maybe, but is a waste of life/your time now. Find a new hobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

SO I've gotta question.

Clearly you're trolling with this post, and I'm taking the bait.

Exactly how furiously are you masturbating now that this has worked out for you?

Burdzthewurd 07-18-2007 02:59 PM

This episode was just on last night here in Mass.

Triumph36 07-18-2007 02:59 PM

Seinfeld hasn't aged well? You mean the same show that went off the air almost 10 years ago and still runs in the top syndication spots?

I guess part of the culture of the show was the in-jokiness of it all - and Kramer certainly hasn't aged well, IMO.

also i think the best (and worst) episodes occured when larry david left, but i think i'm the only one - the [censored] they did near the end was great

Homer 07-18-2007 03:04 PM

Seinfeld is the best sitcom in the history of television. Stop the hate.

CrazyEyez 07-18-2007 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I feel every time a new Entourage comes on, devastation is not in my mind but happiness sure is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well goddam, I never looked at it this way. It's a blessing, not a defeat. Huh. Well I'm going to turn my frown upside-down.

OOT saves the day once again.

CrazyEyez 07-18-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. I'm surprised you don't have these on DVD
2. You might be interested to know that Seinfeld has agreed to appear in the season premiere of 30 Rock, playing himself.

[/ QUOTE ]
I never bothered with the DVD since I can turn on the tv or Tivo Suggestions at anytime and watch an episode.
I am interested in that 30 Rock tidbit, as I'm a big fan of that show. Thank you.

SBR 07-18-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So it was cool after it was off the air for 8 years but 2 years later its uncool? What the hell are you talking about?

Also I try to avoid hanging out with guys who don't get Seinfeld references. If you're between the ages of 18-38, male and don't/never liked Seinfeld you probably have some serious personality flaws. A large number of non-seinfeld fans also seem to enjoy Friends so thats two big strikes right there.

OP, this episode isn't played that often. I think I've only seen it a couple of times, and I'm not sure I've ever seen the opening monologue.

punkass 07-18-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a stripper thread in OOT now. Why not go in there and try to ruin their fun too? Go to the B&M forum and tell them they're all degenerates. Then why not go to POG and say they're losers? You really like spewing the crap, huh?

get bent

amplify 07-18-2007 04:29 PM

I had this with MASH, out of the blue 10 years ago was suddenly some episode I had never seen. It was like Christmas.

SonofDjugashvili 07-18-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So it was cool after it was off the air for 8 years but 2 years later its uncool? What the hell are you talking about?

Also I try to avoid hanging out with guys who don't get Seinfeld references. If you're between the ages of 18-38, male and don't/never liked Seinfeld you probably have some serious personality flaws. A large number of non-seinfeld fans also seem to enjoy Friends so thats two big strikes right there.

OP, this episode isn't played that often. I think I've only seen it a couple of times, and I'm not sure I've ever seen the opening monologue.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. The people who liked Friends but not Seinfeld are simply a lower strata of society - wtf do we even let them vote? When they were on back to back (Friends early I believe), it was like "well, now that the retards have gone to bed, we have a show for people capable of forming complete sentences".

tuq 07-18-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The people who liked Friends but not Seinfeld are simply women

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
wtf do we even let them vote?

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

SonofDjugashvili 07-18-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The people who liked Friends but not Seinfeld are simply women

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol'ed at the simple truth you exposed with the slight correction of my post.

suzzer99 07-18-2007 05:01 PM

Few shows really age well. Something weird happens to sitcoms as soon as they go off the air where they instantly lose a lot of their relevance. Seinfeld has aged ok. Shows I can think of that aged really well after going off the air:

NewsRadio
Futurama
Taxi

That may be about it unless you count the old stuff like Beverly Hillbillies and Leave it to Beaver. Although for all I know those dropped a lot when they went off the air too.

qwnu 07-18-2007 05:37 PM

I think a Seinfeld trivia game has great potential, given the fan devotion and syndication success. I find it hard to believe it never happened.

Easy:
Jerry's favorite Superhero is:
a) Superman
b) Aquaman
c) The Green Hornet
d) The Hulk

Medium:
George Costanza has never worked:
a) as a real-estate agent
b) as an architect
c) for the New York Yankees
d) as a hand model

Difficult:
Judge Reinhold played a character who was:
a) a re-gifter
b) a grammar nazi
c) a face painter
d) a close talker

Impossible/You need to get out more:
How many times did Elaine and Jerry have sex while they were dating?
a)22
b)32
c)37
d)129

See how fun that was? Yes, I had to look up the last one.

Also, I agree with using Seinfeld knowledge as a barometer of character and personality. Also Simpsons and Coen Brothers movies.

OP: please to be more careful with thread titles: I assumed one of the cast members had died. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CharlieDontSurf 07-18-2007 05:38 PM

it would be so awesome if i found out there was like an entire season of LOST i somehow managed to miss

daryn 07-18-2007 05:42 PM

jesus are you serious.. the diplomat's club is in my top 3 favorite episodes.. maybe my favorite ep to be honest. the whole sugar ray leonard thing is priceless.. and then you got kramer's gambling.. awesome. and jerry "freakin' out!!!"

RichGangi 07-18-2007 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jesus are you serious.. the diplomat's club is in my top 3 favorite episodes.. maybe my favorite ep to be honest. the whole sugar ray leonard thing is priceless.. and then you got kramer's gambling.. awesome. and jerry "freakin' out!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. How about when Newman shows up with Son of Sams mailbag as collateral?....lol....god, I love that show.

Russ M. 07-18-2007 05:56 PM

My buddy and I have seen pretty much every episode and quote Seinfeld stuff all the time. Our favorite is to yell out "CARTWRIGHT!" whenever we spot an Asian guy.

daryn 07-18-2007 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. How about when Newman shows up with Son of Sams mailbag as collateral?....lol....god, I love that show.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, everything is great about the ep. i forgot about the elaine/mr. pitt subplot that's also good and ties in nicely with jerry, which ties in with kramer's betting. the look kramer gives newman when newman says "i hope you know what you're doing" is priceless too.

haha i keep thinking of more sick lines.. when the guy in the airport convinces kramer to start betting, and he's like "you're on cowboy!" haha very good.. also in the beginning when george proposes that sugar ray leonard bet, kramer just jumps all over it, "alright how much, a hundred dollars, two hundred, A THOUSAND!!"

DonkeyKongSr 07-18-2007 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does an excellent poster such as this get two stars? And a lovely red X for a avatar?

NT!, please reduce this man's star level for being so awesome.

themandude 07-18-2007 06:18 PM

Seinfeld is the best show there ever was.. that is all.

CheckRaise 07-18-2007 09:05 PM

can't wait for season 9 to come out. I've seen every episode from season 1-8 but there are some from 9 that I haven't watched.