Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Lock of the PA State Trooper Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=511021)

jaydub 09-28-2007 12:58 AM

Lock of the PA State Trooper Thread

The post.

Ok, so a known OOT poster links to a news story about a cop murdering a dentist. It appears the cop was [censored] the dentist's wife. The poster is a cop himself, knew the arrested cop at the time of the murder, and states that he and others had their suspicions. Clearly this is not a linktard.

While I can understand not letting things degrade to the typical cops suck nonsense level, locking immediately? Really? There's a helluva lot of potential for that thread to turn really interesting.

[ QUOTE ]

just because it's on CNN doesn't mean it's not LOL material

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

J

stabn 09-28-2007 01:33 AM

Re: Lock of the PA State Trooper Thread

He basically just linked it. He needs to add more value in the OP if he wants the thread to stay.

jaydub 09-28-2007 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He basically just linked it. He needs to add more value in the OP if he wants the thread to stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Did you read the post?

I will reiterate:

The poster is a cop himself, knew the arrested cop at the time of the murder, and states that he and others had their suspicions.

All of this was stated in his post; for [censored] sake he has inside, non-public information which he shared in the OP.

J

betgo 09-28-2007 02:03 AM

OOT has had some bad posts, but the mods are really going too far with locking stuff and so on. Reasonable topics should be allowed. If the thread degenerates, then lock it.

edfurlong 09-28-2007 02:03 AM

Wait, ItalianFX is a cop?

kerowo 09-28-2007 07:47 AM

Any thread in OOT that involves cops is facing an uphill battle from the get go, since this one doesn't involve prostitutes it wasn't going to be interesting it was going to be OMG cops suck!

Let me put it a way you'll understand:

OP didn't do enough to make it more than a linktard thread.

NT! 09-28-2007 08:09 AM

clearly the OP was trying to put some effort into the thread, but he wasn't really asking any question or trying to start a discussion. basically linked to a news item and said 'i know this guy, whoa.' that's got LOL written all over it.

fx's insights as a cop have been very useful at times, it's not meant to denegrate his contributions. the rules apply to everyone.

lol at betgo... his only post in OOT in months is a two-sentence googletard about jury duty, he gets suspended for it, thread doesn't even get locked, and he shows up in OOT bitching about thread locking all of a sudden. hint: we have been doing the same thing all along.

betgo 09-28-2007 08:37 AM

I post in strategy forums all the time and they don't supend people and lock threads because they don't have enough content. The OP is to start a discussion.

[Phill] 09-28-2007 08:56 AM

Ive still never gotton the logic of locking a thread for not having enough material for a discussion to take place - i mean if a discussion doesnt take place then soon enough it disappears never to be seen again.

mason55 09-28-2007 08:59 AM

yeah i mean like... nt you should make it clear that just because a post gets replies doesn't mean it's a good post. put that in the sticky or something. or at least tell people. just once. jerk.

stabn 09-28-2007 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Did you read the post?

I will reiterate:

The poster is a cop himself, knew the arrested cop at the time of the murder, and states that he and others had their suspicions.

All of this was stated in his post; for [censored] sake he has inside, non-public information which he shared in the OP.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I will reiterate for you.

[ QUOTE ]

I knew him. In fact, the date of the murder was when I was in the Police Academy. He was one of our instructors when this happened.

I wasn't shocked when I found out it was him because we all had our suspicion, but I am definitely shocked that it is the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that is a sick huge OP that is definitely bringing something to the table. I was totally wrong! He definitely included lots of insider knowledge in the OP and there was a lot of [censored] there worth discussing!

stabn

Leaky Eye 09-28-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the rules apply to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rules suck.

XXXNoahXXX 09-28-2007 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive still never gotton the logic of locking a thread for not having enough material for a discussion to take place - i mean if a discussion doesnt take place then soon enough it disappears never to be seen again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except all it takes is for the OP to find one retard out there to engage in a verbal fight, dick wagging contest, etc. and it will stay on the front page forever.

Sometimes NT! will shutdown a thread based solely on the OP being awful, but if he doesn't catch it until it evolves into something more, then he'll often let it be and just punish the OP.

This is why most Ask Me Threads are retarded. You get one guy to post "Ask Me what it's like to be a crossing guard for a high school in kansas". Out of the thousands of people that browse 2+2, there will be one retard that finds it interesting, and it will be a two person conversation, clogging up the front page.

skunkworks 09-28-2007 01:44 PM

I like ItalianFX.

[Phill] 09-28-2007 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except all it takes is for the OP to find one retard out there to engage in a verbal fight, dick wagging contest, etc. and it will stay on the front page forever.

Sometimes NT! will shutdown a thread based solely on the OP being awful, but if he doesn't catch it until it evolves into something more, then he'll often let it be and just punish the OP.

This is why most Ask Me Threads are retarded. You get one guy to post "Ask Me what it's like to be a crossing guard for a high school in kansas". Out of the thousands of people that browse 2+2, there will be one retard that finds it interesting, and it will be a two person conversation, clogging up the front page.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our definition of clogging is different, but i see your point.

However, i think you have pointed out how threads should be left to develop and if it turns into a couple people going back and forth then lock it telling them to take it to PM.

I think it needs to be pointed out that if the origional Sup Bro? thread had been started in OOT it would have been locked too early and never develop into the legend it is now.

The same goes for the boiling oats thread by Assani, that was the most retarded OP ever, but the thread because a legend because it had time to develop.

Arguably the same can be said for the Lathe thread, i forget how much detail the OP went into at first but it only really kicked off when he posted the picture of the lathe and that was well into the thread.

Anyway, i guess ive made my point that everything should have time to develop and a third trimester abortion of a thread shouldnt be overlooked as an alternative to the morning after pill.

NT! 09-28-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I post in strategy forums all the time and don't bother to read the rules when i post in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

NT! 09-28-2007 06:17 PM

blah blah blah phil none of those good threads would have been locked. that argument has been made and ridiculed many times.

lots of potentially crappy threads are left unlocked every day.

SNOWBALL 09-28-2007 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like ItalianFX.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Skunkworks

R*R 09-28-2007 09:42 PM

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...UI20Arrest.jpg

Vince. 09-28-2007 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ItalianFX 09-29-2007 01:56 PM

I didn't even realize this thread was made. Good thing I checked ATF!

I understand I probably didn't do enough to generate a discussion, but I thought a discussion could have been generated on its own.

I "was" going to type something like, "I know most people on 2+2 hate the police, so here is proof that we don't get away with everything."

I was pissed that NT locked the thread because I thought it was unique and worth something, but I didn't want to make a stink about it because NT and I have never had any rumbles and he has always been open minded to posting in my threads with his experience and knowledge.

However, on the other hand, it was not a "oh look, a police officer was arrested, now I can tell 2+2!"...that would be LOL material. In my case, I had ties to it because I knew the guy. I do agree though that I didn't have anything to discuss, but locking it doesn't even give it a chance. [insert the "it never had a chance to begin with" post]

adsman 09-29-2007 02:07 PM

ItalianFX,

When I do something bad, can I be arrested by you?

ItalianFX 09-29-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ItalianFX,

When I do something bad, can I be arrested by you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unless you're in my jurisdiction.

stabn 09-29-2007 05:32 PM

Who says police officers don't have a sense of humor?

NT! 09-29-2007 05:56 PM

FX,

i just didn't see the issue to be discussed. i mean, looks like the guy killed the other guy, pretty sordid, yup. i wasn't really sure what you wanted to talk about. it seemed to me like the only thing that could come of the thread was a bunch of people bashing cops, and then a bunch of other people bashing them for bashing cops.

as with anyone else who feels an OP has potential, feel free to revise and repost.

Mike Haven 09-29-2007 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only thing that could come of the thread was a bunch of people bashing cops, and then a bunch of other people bashing them for bashing cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this would be bad?

NT! 09-29-2007 06:26 PM

mike,

why do you hate cops?

people like you are ruining whatever country it is you live in

THEOSU 09-29-2007 06:29 PM

nt!

the joy of betgo™ is that he's simultaneously completely serious and levelling.

Mike Haven 09-29-2007 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mike,

why do you hate cops?

people like you are ruining whatever country it is you live in

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't hate cops

what makes you think i do?

some of my best friends are cops

Mike Haven 09-29-2007 08:56 PM

I'm borrowing Mike's account to post this as I'm not allowed to join this site. (My country's laws.)

I'm a cop and a good friend of Mike. If he hates cops I don't know it.

Hope this sorts out your problem with him.

Mike Haven 09-29-2007 08:58 PM

Paddy,

Thanks.

NT!,

See?

XXXNoahXXX 09-29-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm borrowing Mike's account to post this as I'm not allowed to join this site. (My country's laws.)

I'm a cop and a good friend of Mike. If he hates cops I don't know it.

Hope this sorts out your problem with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, wtf?

also, pig, imo.

betgo 09-29-2007 09:07 PM

I don't have a problem with the action NT took regarding my post, as I agree there were problems with it. I hadn't read the sticky before posting, and assumed it didn't apply to anything I would post.

After reading it, the list of things that can cause temporary bans or threads to be locked or deleted is excessive and vague. There is a lot of crap posted in OOT, and the moderators need to be active and take strong action.

However, the sticky says you can be temp banned for asking for relationship advice or asking something you could find out on google. It seems to me that posts like that often generate interesting discussion, and the poster may not realize he did something banworthy.

It seems like the post locked here was an interesting topic to discuss. It would be fine to lock the thread if the discussion got out of hand, but not initially.