Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ording in Spanish at Chipotle, si o no? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=472793)

FlyWf 08-08-2007 08:21 PM

Ording in Spanish at Chipotle, si o no?

What is the official OOT opinion on this?

It seems that Chipotle is far more likely that most places to put someone with terrible English skills in a customer-facing position, but at the same time it seems kind of pretentious and patronizing.

miajag 08-08-2007 08:23 PM

Re: Ording in Spanish at Chipotle, si o no?

Unless you're actually Hispanic it makes you look like a fgt.

SpaceAce 08-08-2007 08:23 PM

Well, you certainly wouldn't be out of line to do so at the one around the corner from my house. There's a 0% chance the person behind the counter would not understand you. In fact, I've been called "gringo" there.

SpaceAce

punkass 08-08-2007 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And unless you're ordering in Mexico, it makes you look like a douche.

tuq 08-08-2007 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the official OOT opinion on this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Burrito is burrito and Pepsi is Pepsi. They'll know what you're ordering no matter what the other words are. You might as well speak French the rest of the time.

JasonK 08-08-2007 08:29 PM

How are they supposed to learn English if you speak to them in Spanish?

FocusedOne 08-08-2007 08:30 PM

If the guy in front of my was super fluent and did it real nonchalant (sp?) then I wouldn't think much of it... But if you have the standard 4 yr high school spanish class thing going on you will look like an idiot.

oddjob 08-08-2007 08:41 PM

how do you say in spanish

"where can i get good food?"

mason55 08-08-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ording in Spanish at Chipotle

[/ QUOTE ]

First maybe you should learn "Poasting in English at 2+2"

FocusedOne 08-08-2007 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh snap.

psuasskicker 08-08-2007 09:54 PM

It's Chipotle. Pull it off at a real Mex restaurant. This would be kinda dumb.

Order in Thai at a Thai restaurant = cool.
Ordering in Spanish at a fast food restaurant = lame.

- C -

cbloom 08-08-2007 09:55 PM

KRAMER: You suffer for your soup.

SOUP NAZI: Yes. That is right.

KRAMER: You demand perfection from yourself, from your soup.

SOUP NAZI: How can I tolerate any less from my customer?

CUSTOMER: Uh, gazpacho, por favor.

SOUP NAZI: Por favor?

CUSTOMER: Um, I'm part Spanish.

SOUP NAZI: Adios muchacho!

ps. OP, you are a douche.

FlyWf 08-08-2007 11:11 PM

Why am I a douche?

I saw some big fat white guy do it earlier today and it seemed pretentious and patronizing to the counter guy(who clearly spoke English but poorly). I ordered in a combination of English and pointing because it was loud.

nath 08-08-2007 11:13 PM

Do you order in Gaelic at Bennigan's?

Kneel B4 Zod 08-08-2007 11:23 PM

I go to one Mexican place and order in Spanish, but that's b/c my Spanish is roughly as good as their English, and I like to practice Spanish

Leaky Eye 08-08-2007 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why am I a douche?

I saw some big fat white guy do it earlier today and it seemed pretentious and patronizing to the counter guy(who clearly spoke English but poorly). I ordered in a combination of English and pointing because it was loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so tired of trying to communicate with bad English speakers that I am considering learning Spanish. There is a burrito place near my work where you leave your name for your order. I always leave an hispanic name just so they can say it.

asofel 08-08-2007 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Big Poppa Smurf 08-08-2007 11:55 PM

Most minimum wage employees really don't like it when you try to be cutesy and will go laugh at you the first chance they get, so I'd say no. Also I doubt Chipotle is any more likely to have Hispanic workers than any other fast food place, and at any rate it's not like you would need to speak spanish to them for them to understand you, they're not dumb.

dtemp 08-08-2007 11:57 PM

Op: Speak in english at first. If they have trouble understanding you then you can consider speaking spanish (provided you are semi-fluent).

LetItBe 08-09-2007 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I doubt Chipotle is any more likely to have Hispanic workers than any other fast food place, and at any rate it's not like you would need to speak spanish to them for them to understand you, they're not dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Have you ever been in a Chipotle?

dlk9s 08-09-2007 12:09 AM

I order in Hebrew at Goldberg's Bagels and Deli, so I say go right ahead.

Jon1000 08-09-2007 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the guy in front of my was super fluent and did it real nonchalant (sp?) then I wouldn't think much of it... But if you have the standard 4 yr high school spanish class thing going on you will look like an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is the correct answer. If you can speak w a real fluency and accent, I don't think it's condescending at all, but most people's spanish is worse than their english. I mean, they are taking orders all day in english.

otnemem 08-09-2007 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I doubt Chipotle is any more likely to have Hispanic workers than any other fast food place

[/ QUOTE ]
It is. I mean, I know hispanics comprise the majority of the fast food workplace (at least in Metropolitan areas), but I've never seen a non-hispanic working at Chipotle.

Big Poppa Smurf 08-09-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I doubt Chipotle is any more likely to have Hispanic workers than any other fast food place, and

[/ QUOTE ]at any rate it's not like you would need to speak spanish to them for them to understand you, they're not dumb.

What? Have you ever been in a Chipotle?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand, are you asking because I think hispanics and fast food workers aren't dumb or because you think Chipotle is more likely to hire hispanics?

At any rate generally speaking if you have problems ordering at a fast food restaurant or dealing with retail workers 95% of the time that's your fault, not theirs.

Big Poppa Smurf 08-09-2007 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I doubt Chipotle is any more likely to have Hispanic workers than any other fast food place

[/ QUOTE ]
It is. I mean, I know hispanics comprise the majority of the fast food workplace (at least in Metropolitan areas), but I've never seen a non-hispanic working at Chipotle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, the one I've been to is usually white teenagers.

LetItBe 08-09-2007 12:56 AM

No, I was asking because in all the Chipotles I have ever been in, I think there were less than 5 non-Hispanic workers! I agree with what you said, but I definitely see a greater number working there than at any other fast food place.

Big Poppa Smurf 08-09-2007 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I was asking because in all the Chipotles I have ever been in, I think there were less than 5 non-Hispanic workers! I agree with what you said, but I definitely see a greater number working there than at any other fast food place.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok cool beans, I guess it's just a regional or demographic thing then

mason55 08-09-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ok cool beans

[/ QUOTE ]

racist

offTopic 08-09-2007 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you order in Gaelic at McDonald's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids 08-09-2007 02:19 AM

Not Chipotle, but there's a guy I work with who when we've been out at Mexican places badly rolls his r's and crap (think John Miller going to down on Adgres Galalagra) and it just comes off like he thinks it's quaint that the little brown people talk funny. There is a huge chance that if you do this, especially in a [censored] fast food joint, you will come off like an epic dbag.

I've taken Spanish, and I don't like pronouncing things wrong, but I don't bust out my best "I am Ramon from Senora Lewis's 8th Grade Spanish Class" accent either.

Just so long as you order Arroz Con "Poyo" and not "Polo" I think we'll all be ok.

FocusedOne 08-09-2007 08:58 AM

oh here's something interesting:

the manager or whoever it is that seems to be the pit boss at my chipotle is not hispanic, but when he is discussing anything with the staff he speaks Spanish. Thing is, he speaks Spanish as well as the rest of the staff does and it's probably just easier and avoids anything getting lost in translation or having him have to take the time to explain the occasional word to them. They got burritos to make, mang.

otnemem 08-09-2007 09:01 AM

That is interesting.

FocusedOne 08-09-2007 09:04 AM

lol it seemed a lot more interesting when I first woke up at 7 this morning...

opla 08-09-2007 09:12 AM

my ex was colombian and when we'd go there she'd order in spanish and i would not as i'm white as [censored] but that doesn't matter as she's a whore

FocusedOne 08-09-2007 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my ex was colombian and when we'd go there she'd order in spanish and i would not as i'm white as [censored] but that doesn't matter as she's a whore

[/ QUOTE ]

**this space reserved until I think of something witty about her being an attention whore vs. a standard whore for ordering in Spanish**

moondogg 08-09-2007 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh here's something interesting:

the manager or whoever it is that seems to be the pit boss at my chipotle is not hispanic, but when he is discussing anything with the staff he speaks Spanish. Thing is, he speaks Spanish as well as the rest of the staff does and it's probably just easier and avoids anything getting lost in translation or having him have to take the time to explain the occasional word to them. They got burritos to make, mang.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty standard I think. My white German/Irish cousin is the assistant manager at a Japanese sushi restaurant, and he always talks to his Mexican kitchen staff in Spanish.

CrazyEyez 08-09-2007 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me know the english versions of carnitas burrito, pinto, and tomatillo and I'll start using them right away.

amplify 08-09-2007 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me know the english versions of carnitas burrito, pinto, and tomatillo

[/ QUOTE ]
meat sandwich
pint
little tomato

FlyWf 08-09-2007 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is the correct answer. If you can speak w a real fluency and accent, I don't think it's condescending at all, but most people's spanish is worse than their english. I mean, they are taking orders all day in english.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dude in front of me was reasonably fluent, but he was also a big fat white guy calling the counter dude "amigo" and for whatever reason that struck me as douchebaggy. IMO if you aren't obviously a native speaker of the language it comes off condescending.

And while you'll see the odd white teenager working the register around here, 100% of the preparation staff is Hispanic at every Chipotle I've ever been to in central Ohio.

prohornblower 08-09-2007 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you order in Gaelic at Bennigan's?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol