Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ***Official Syracuse Men's Basketball 07-08 NCAAs or busto*** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544713)

Rubeskies 11-12-2007 10:25 PM

***Official Syracuse Men\'s Basketball 07-08 NCAAs or busto***

Well, should be a fun year. Great looking freshman, and some decent returners. ESPN has us at #25 to start the year. Hopefully we have a decent year and don't have to get screwed by the committee again this year.

First game: 97-89 W over Siena at home in the NIT tipoff tourney.

Onuaku: 12 points, 6 boards, 2 blocks.
Devendorf: 19 points, 6 assists
Harris: 15 points, 15 boards, 4 assists
Flynn: 28 points, 9 assists, 5 rebounds
Greene: 14 points, 7 boards, 5 blocks

Rick Jackson had 8 points off the bench.

This game should not have been close but SU committed 23 turnovers while only forcing 9.

Flynn looks like he can do it all including 6-7 from behind the arc. Greene was actually 2-6 from 3 point range showing that he can go inside and out. Harris was a beast on the glass but had 6 turnovers. That was his problem last year, thinking he had the ball handling skills to be a point forward.

Next game: Tomorrow, Nov 13 on ESPN at 7PM vs the winner of St. Joe's/Fairleigh Dickinson.

Assani Fisher 11-12-2007 10:44 PM

Re: ***Official Syracuse Men\'s Basketball 07-08 NCAAs or busto***

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully we have a decent year and have scheduled a few decent teams to play on the road OOC this year so that our tourney resume is more impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

In all seriousness though, I'm very interested to see this team this year.

99,909.99909 and counting

MacGuyV 11-12-2007 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully we have a decent year and don't have to get screwed by the committee again this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Gogo Cuse! I don't know much about these freshman but looking forward to seeing them tomorrow. I'm scared to ask how many of those turnovers were Devendorf's the other night?

How are we @Louisville the only time we play them 2 years in a row (not that the committee acknowledges home conference wins vs. top 5 teams anyway)?

Rubeskies 11-12-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How are we @Louisville the only time we play them 2 years in a row?

[/ QUOTE ]

They changed the schedules this year. Instead of having the big east hand pick every game on the schedule so they choose whomever they want (making teams play some teams twice and some teams not at all), this year everybody plays everybody else once and then you play a few teams twice.

So because of the schedule change, they didn't take into account last years schedule for deciding on home or away for this year. They are using a new system.

Rubeskies 11-12-2007 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Gogo Cuse! I don't know much about these freshman but looking forward to seeing them tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny Flynn (5 star recruit) is considered one of the top recruits in the nation. He is a PG who can also score (he broke the freshman first game record set by Melo) and I'd be stoked if he stays 2 years.
Donte Green (5 star recruit) is an inside outside talent (6'10) who can score inside and shoot the 3. He had 5 blocks tonight.
Rick Jackson (4 star recruit) had 8 points tonight and should contribute off the bench inside.
Antonio Jardine (4 star recruit) is supposed to be a big time scorer from the outside (he's a SG) but only played 3 minutes tonight. We'll see if he pans out.
Ongenaet is a JuCo transfer who should give some depth inside as well.
There is a 7-footer who was recruited this year but I guess he is rail thin and is getting red-shirted this year so we'll see him next year.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm scared to ask how many of those turnovers were Devendorf's the other night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Devendorf had 5. Harris had 6. Flynn had 5. Green had 4.

P.S. I really wish Rautins didn't get hurt. He'd be awesome to have this year.

BJLTNYK 11-13-2007 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While another SG is direly needed(Jardine is not nearly ready) it would have just messed up the starting lineup. I love the starters the way they are and Rautins would have found his way in there. The freshmen looked great tonight and I'm very excited we might win an NCAA game before I graduate. Rick Jackson needs more playing team...he is absolutely fundamentally sound down low and Arinze needs his rest.

Flynn and Greene are the truth.

Rubeskies 11-13-2007 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While another SG is direly needed(Jardine is not nearly ready) it would have just messed up the starting lineup. I love the starters the way they are and Rautins would have found his way in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think Devendorf and Flynn can play 40 minutes a game for the whole season?

diddyeinstein 11-13-2007 03:51 PM

I know it's pretty miscellaneous but I thought the "ORANGE" across the home jerseys was pretty awesome last night.

Rubeskies 11-13-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's pretty miscellaneous but I thought the "ORANGE" across the home jerseys was pretty awesome last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yeah I like the new Uni's.

MacGuyV 11-13-2007 08:15 PM

When did silver become team colors?

10-0 WTF

Assani Fisher 11-13-2007 08:23 PM

not looking good at all so far.

99,722 and counting

Needle77 11-13-2007 09:55 PM

Wow, good job St. Joe's for missing that layup.

dkgojackets 11-13-2007 09:55 PM

wow amazing play to make them miss that open layup that would tie the game with 50 second left.

ncaa fo sho

Needle77 11-13-2007 10:00 PM

Wow Flynn. Just sick. BTW, good call by Boheim for the foul there.

Dudd 11-13-2007 10:13 PM

I know they're young and will probably improve, but Syracuse sure likes their turnovers.

MacGuyV 11-13-2007 10:37 PM

Kids look pretty good for November Freshmen. The Bigs are a lot more athletic than Roberts/Watkins.

Is tOSU supposed to be better than St. Joe's?

brendoh 11-13-2007 10:56 PM

fun game tonight imo

Im very depressed that i came to SU the year after we won it all, and graduated the year before we win it again.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MacGuyV 11-13-2007 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fun game tonight imo

Im very depressed that i came to SU the year after we won it all, and graduated the year before we win it again.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I lived there my whole life & moved to Philly 2 months before they won it all.

brendoh 11-13-2007 11:09 PM

Yeah at least i was somewhat of a local the year that we won

JJBuffone 11-13-2007 11:15 PM

Paul Harris is a beast, I love watching him play! I'm very excited about this year, lots of potential for Jimmy to play around with.

Rubeskies 11-13-2007 11:55 PM

They had 10 turnovers in the first 8 minutes and then only 7 the rest of the game. I think they just didn't come to play but were able to settle down once they got settled in.

Also, the bench played a total of 17 minutes, all in the first half. I don't think we can consistently give 100% effort if our starters are all playing 36 min a night.
Rick Jackson deserves some serious minutes. Jaurdine is out of control but I think giving him minutes in the softer part of the schedule is the way get him settled in. He obviously has talent.

brendoh 11-14-2007 12:06 AM

Youve obviously gotta give the token white guy some minutes now that gorman is gone (finally thank goodness). From what they've been saying hes a legit player anyways.

BJLTNYK 11-14-2007 01:27 AM

The turnovers and defense are really a concern for me already. The offense HAS to run through Flynn..he makes things happen. The turnovers were happing when Devendorf, Harris, and Greene tried to do too much in the middle of the paint.

I really don't understand why Boeheim's killing Arinze with all of these minutes. Jackson is really polished inside and has an idea of where he's at on the floor all the time. He should just let Arinze ease himself back in. In fact I really want to see a big lineup with both of them on the court at the same time more.

Kristoff seems to be fundamentally sound but doesn't really have the confidence yet. Sitting on the bench is not helping.

Jardine I guess has to be that backup guard(Devendorf never comes out...he doesn't deserve the GMac respect for never coming out). However, when he comes in he's moving a bit too fast trying to make things happen in limited minutes.

All in all I'm excited but not overly optimistic about what we can do this year. Can't wait to see them in the Garden next week.

Rubeskies 11-14-2007 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

All in all I'm excited but not overly optimistic about what we can do this year. Can't wait to see them in the Garden next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to go but have nobody to go with/no tickets for the Wed game. Anybody want to go with me that doesn't already have tickets/anybody have an extra ticket I can buy to sit with them?

Aces McGee 11-14-2007 01:43 AM

The pass that Flynn threw to Greene on the break for the dunk that put Cuse up 62-56 with 4:50 to go in the game reminded me of Jason Kidd.

Just a draw-dropping assist. Left me at a loss as to explain how good it was.

-McGee

Rubeskies 11-14-2007 01:58 AM

How about the alley oop in traffic being closely guarded from 40 feet away to end the half?

And it wasn't even a tough catch. Perfect location.

Aces McGee 11-14-2007 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about the alley oop in traffic being closely guarded from 40 feet away to end the half?

And it wasn't even a tough catch. Perfect location.

[/ QUOTE ]

The alley oop was very nice.

But that wraparound on the break -- man, I'm not sure I can make my point w/o the benefit of being able to show you on the replay. But there's no way he saw Greene cut -- and yet the pass was perfectly placed, with the right weight to it so Greene could catch it in stride and jam it. I'm not even sure Greene cut before Flynn threw the pass; it was as if Flynn knew where Greene was headed before Greene did. That's seriously something I haven't seen in a PG since Kidd, who used to basically show teammates where to cut by throwing the ball there.

-McGee

Rubeskies 11-14-2007 02:23 AM

I can see what you are saying and I think you're right about Greene not even cutting yet when the pass had been made. I honestly had no idea what Flynn was doing. Very impressive. (Although, judging by other plays Flynn has made, I'm not entirely unsure he wasn't just out of control and got lucky Greene was there.)

But placing the ball in a 2 X 2 box from 40 feet away with a guy in your face is just crazy.

MacGuyV 11-17-2007 04:23 PM

Siena beats Stanford by 12...good for us right?

Rubeskies 11-17-2007 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Siena beats Stanford by 12...good for us right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt. It will help our NC SOS.

Rubeskies 11-20-2007 03:21 PM

I'm looking for somebody to go the SU game with on Wed at the Garden. There are still lots of really good seats for pretty cheap. If anybody wants to go, PM me.

nutshot2 11-21-2007 05:05 AM

Will be courtside with BJLTNYK rocking Dynasty shirts and Cuse jerseys tonight... holler

Rubeskies 11-21-2007 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Will be courtside with BJLTNYK rocking Dynasty shirts and Cuse jerseys tonight... holler

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice guys. Have an extra ticket for me?????

nutshot2 11-21-2007 05:37 AM

We actually luckboxed into the two courtside seats through a connection of mine. Sorry, Rube [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Would definitely be cool to meet up though and grab a drink at some point... PM either of us if you're interested or whatever. Heading to bed before I die, now, though.

brendoh 11-21-2007 09:06 PM

bump

big [censored] game tonight, very excited. It will be very interesting to see how our defense deals with a big man that looks like he can play inside and outside of the paint. A bunch of my college buddies are sitting in a box for the game.

Im stuck in dallas

Go Cuse!

Rubeskies 11-22-2007 04:59 AM

Wow, we just got owned. We looked terrible. Couldn't guard anybody and couldn't penetrate their zone. That was just shameful.

nutshot2 11-22-2007 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, we just got owned. We looked terrible. Couldn't guard anybody and couldn't penetrate their zone. That was just shameful.

[/ QUOTE ]

MacGuyV 11-24-2007 09:00 PM

I thought they penetrated ok but just jacked up too many 3's & played bad defense. Wow @tOSU getting pwned by A&M. At least we got out of the Garden with 1 win, although Wash. pretty much self-destructed. It's nice to see the big guys actually able to catch the ball this year.

BJLTNYK 11-25-2007 01:57 AM

The tOSU game was pretty blah. Greene really disappears when he feels like he's not involved on offense and it was easy to see up close. Jonny Flynn also seems to get kinda pissed off when the offense doesn't run through him and people don't go where they're supposed to. Of course I have no doubts that they're only going to learn and get better as the year goes on.

For as big of a bum as Devendorf is I thought he really showed some leadership this week. If not for him it could have been really ugly.

Paul Harris is a beast but please stick to putbacks and fastbreaks. You do not have a jumpshot.

I thought Arinze played pretty well in both games and is really surprising me this year. He and Donte lost Koufos a couple times going backdoor but the zone has had way too many holes in it this year. I like the man to man better.

Scoop finally showed signs of why we recruited him in the first place. Prior to this week I was questioning how he got a scholarship.

Rick Jackson really needs more playing time. Arinze is going to pick up fouls during Big East play. He has to be ready. He's got great offensive moves. Give him his time.

Kristoff still has 0 confidence in anything.

Overall I'm pleased with where we're at. Would like to see us prove we can go 8 deep well.

Rubeskies 11-28-2007 10:24 PM

[censored]