Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Mayweather calls out UFC and MMA as a whole... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396963)

Karak567 05-06-2007 06:59 PM

Mayweather calls out UFC and MMA as a whole...

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...type=lgns#more

Interesting read...

NT! 05-06-2007 07:10 PM

Re: Mayweather calls out UFC and MMA as a whole...

i'd be shocked if mayweather fought in the UFC. i hope they get some crossover eventually, though, but i think it will come from less established boxers making the crossover if it does happen.

Mr biggums 05-06-2007 07:14 PM

He would get destroyed in the UFC since he has no ground game. He would get taken down and then submitted early first round.

B00T 05-06-2007 07:16 PM

Mayweather would get killed, this is pretty silly.

ThaSaltCracka 05-06-2007 07:17 PM

Typical cocky boxer talk. Dana White is just throwing gas on the fire.

AngusThermopyle 05-06-2007 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm willing to put together a fight for Sean Sherk and Floyd Mayweather with numbers that would make sense for Floyd," White said. "And I guarantee you he would not accept it. Floyd Mayweather would never fight in the UFC because he would get his head ripped off."

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt if he could put together a $15M payday for Mayweather.

ThaSaltCracka 05-06-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I'm willing to put together a fight for Sean Sherk and Floyd Mayweather with numbers that would make sense for Floyd," White said. "And I guarantee you he would not accept it. Floyd Mayweather would never fight in the UFC because he would get his head ripped off."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I would imagine the number would include a % of the PPV money.

mmbt0ne 05-06-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. MMA's biggest star just had a cameo on Entourage. Boxing's biggest just had their own show.

ThaSaltCracka 05-06-2007 07:26 PM

I think he could come up with the money, but if he did, it could lead to the end of the UFC. Seriously, you think guys like Liddell will continue to accept such small paydays???

AngusThermopyle 05-06-2007 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So? 50% of peanuts is still peanuts. They could never sell enough PPV to make it worth his time.

Kneel B4 Zod 05-06-2007 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. MMA's biggest star just had a cameo on Entourage. Boxing's biggest just had their own show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, this could be huge for MMA - a meeting of the worlds type of thing. whatever the PPV fees were for this De la Hoya fight, a boxing vs. MMA PPV could come close b/c of the novelty/curiosity factor

Kneel B4 Zod 05-06-2007 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So? 50% of peanuts is still peanuts. They could never sell enough PPV to make it worth his time.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMA PPV revenue is how higher than boxing PPV revenue

read here.

AngusThermopyle 05-06-2007 07:36 PM

Interesting. Maybe White should actually make the offer.

mmbt0ne 05-06-2007 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
read here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but how many PPV MMA fights are there per year versus boxing fights?

Also, the MMA fights have bigger cards with more fights.

Mr biggums 05-06-2007 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be a waste because Mayweather wouldn't accept it.

Kneel B4 Zod 05-06-2007 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
read here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they talk about this in the article. the biggest boxing matches are bigger than the biggest MMA matches, but it's pretty close.

AngusThermopyle 05-06-2007 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be a waste because Mayweather wouldn't accept it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking at least $10M up front and a percentage of the PPV. (what Mayweather got for this last fight).

Well, White would get publicity and bragging rights if he did. And, as mentioned, maybe a lot of his fighters mad at their relatively small paydays.

DonkeyKongSr 05-06-2007 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
read here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There were 10 UFC PPVs in 2006. There were several more for Pride Fighting that aren't talked about in that articale. Not sure how many boxing PPV's there were.

That article says that the biggest UFC PPV of the year outdrew boxing's biggest PPV of the year. I believe boxing has the more expensive PPV's though, so they probably gross more per PPV. Anyway you look at it though, MMA is on the rise and boxing is on the decline in viewership.

mmbt0ne 05-06-2007 07:44 PM

The biggest boxing matches almost always involve no more than 6 total fighters. The biggest MMA matches involve 18.

It's really not fair to compare.

DonkeyKongSr 05-06-2007 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest boxing matches almost always involve no more than 6 total fighters. The biggest MMA matches involve 18.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? A PPV is a PPV. A viewer is a viewer. UFC gives the viewer more bang for the buck. That's one of the major reasons for the shift.

PokerFink 05-06-2007 07:50 PM

So put Mayweather-Sherk as the main event on a huge MMA PPV card with several other fights. Who woulden't watch that? I'm more interested in watching PBF get his ass kicked by Sherk than DLH-PBF.

EliotSpitzer 05-06-2007 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is. The size and quality of the cards is another reason MMA will soon overtake boxing as the number one combat sport in the U.S. Boxing is on its way to becoming a marginal sport like Arena Football or the WNBA while MMA is on its way to becoming awesome like pro wrestling was in the 80's.

mmbt0ne 05-06-2007 07:54 PM

Whatever. MMA is littered with people who couldn't hack it in the ring. You don't see it working the other way. That should pretty much say everything.

Eliot,

MMA is already where wrestling was. In the trailer parks and joke book.

Kneel B4 Zod 05-06-2007 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the larger point is that the 2 sports are within the same ballpark as each other, close enough that a huge Mayweather/MMA fight could be nearly as big as Mayweather/Hoya. I'd imagine it would be the biggest MMA event ever. all the normal MMA people would buy, boxing fans would buy, and curious non-fans (like me) might even buy.

Kneel B4 Zod 05-06-2007 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever. MMA is littered with people who couldn't hack it in the ring. You don't see it working the other way. That should pretty much say everything.

Eliot,

[/ QUOTE ]

boxing was a big subject at my country club last night!

DonkeyKongSr 05-06-2007 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Eliot,

[/ QUOTE ]

You are pretty clueless. MMA was heading down the path to joke status in the old fat dude vs. karate guy days, but in the last couple years they've upped the quality so much that it's anything but a joke. Yeah there are still a lot of wannabes on the PPVs, but the UFC is doing a fantastic job of selling them as legit (see The Ulitmate Fighter show success) while the overall quality of the comepetition keeps increasing. It's getting to the point that nearly every fight on their PPV's has known fighters fighting (at least known to regular UFC fans). It used to be random guys on the undercards.

Mr biggums 05-06-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Eliot,

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people in MMA didn't start off trying to get into the boxing scene. Many of them come from wrestling and judo backgrounds. MMA is for better overall fighters. Boxers only have 1 skill while MMA guys have many different skills they can use.

SBR 05-06-2007 08:29 PM

How long would it take Mayweather to develop enough of a ground game to be able to fight in the UFC? I'm guessing about 18 months of intense training and he would be able to have enough ground defense to get into a ring. He probably won't put the effort in (he seems to think he could step in already, which is just stupid). But I don't think there's much doubt that if he really wanted to he could dominate in the UFC. He's just a much better athlete than any of those guys.

doubLe a tom 05-06-2007 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Boxers couldn't become mixed martial artists. That's why they're boxers," White countered...

[/ QUOTE ]

He cant be serious...

NT! 05-06-2007 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Eliot,

[/ QUOTE ]

wow tone, totally disagree. what makes those guys mediocre boxers isn't necessarily that they can't fight, it's that they can't box. it's limited combat, a specialized sport. the fact that people want to box before doing MMA comes from boxing's higher status and the money factor, not necessarily from boxers being better at fighting than MMA guys.

if UFC fighters made millions and boxers made thousands, boxing would be filled with UFC 'outcasts' too.

ozyman 05-06-2007 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How long would it take Mayweather to develop enough of a ground game to be able to fight in the UFC? I'm guessing about 18 months of intense training and he would be able to have enough ground defense to get into a ring. He probably won't put the effort in (he seems to think he could step in already, which is just stupid). But I don't think there's much doubt that if he really wanted to he could dominate in the UFC. He's just a much better athlete than any of those guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mayweather would be giving up 20+ lbs on fight night to any legimate 155lber in the UFC. Sean Sherk fought at 170 lbs he moved down to 155. He would need to become a BJJ wizard to overcome the weight difference at 155.

KDawg 05-06-2007 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

18 months is probably right, but to say that he is a much better athelete then any of the guys in the LW division is very very shortsighted. Sean Sherk and Joe Stevenson are guys that are great wrestlers and both black belts in jiu-jitsu(which generally takes over 6 years to achieve). There are numerous guys in the UFC that are on par as far as athletic talent as top boxers. so saying that he's a much better athlete is being silly

ozyman 05-06-2007 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...type=lgns#more

Interesting read...

[/ QUOTE ]
Mayweather actually apologized to Dana White/UFC and told them it was all for hype. Mayweather apology (bottom of page)

haha, classic Dana White:
As for Sherk, White said, "He loved being here and seeing the atmosphere, and I think he left here believing he'd beat the living (expletive) out of the guy if he ever got the chance."

LAgambol 05-06-2007 09:12 PM

with the proper training, i think boxers would dominate the vast majority of MMA fighters. In the lower weight divisions, the MMA would have a better chance than in the light heavyweight/heavyweight division, where they mostly box. throw lennox lewis, mike tyson, evander holyfield, etc. in the ring with slyvia, arlovsky, and its game over for the MMA crew. Boxers just throw way harder and more accurate hits, watch any of the recent big heavyweight fights in the MMA and you see a bunch of clumsy, unathletic, bad boxers

Mr biggums 05-06-2007 09:19 PM

The reason they look that way is because they have to worry about takedowns. Throw those boxers in there with sylvia and Arlovsky and they would get dominated. What do you consider proper training? Many UFC guys have trained their ground game for 5+ years. Boxers aren't gonna spend that much time on theirs.

NT! 05-06-2007 09:30 PM

throw any heavyweight in with fedor and see what happens.

MikeRice 05-06-2007 10:33 PM

Why would any top boxer want to fight for a meager mid 5 figure-miniscule 6 figure payday when their sport pays millions to it's stars.

KDawg 05-06-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would any top boxer want to fight for a meager mid 5 figure-miniscule 6 figure payday when their sport pays millions to it's stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is also misinformed. The top fighters recently have gotten 7 figure paydays. The top fighters have been getting mid 6 figure paydays when the PPV% would be included for a while now

heater 05-06-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Eliot,

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comments in this thread show complete ignorance as to the direction in which these two sports are headed.

ThaSaltCracka 05-06-2007 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Eliot,

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comments in this thread show complete ignorance as to the direction in which these two sports are headed.

[/ QUOTE ]Eh, to be honest, I think UFC is a fad. The fights are cool, but in all honesty, most don't live up to the hype. The ground game is probably the most boring aspect of the it and the trend seems to be to going in that direction. If anything, UFC was much cooler when it was filled with boxing outcast that loved beating the hell out of people. All these MMA guys are pretty boring to watch. If Liddell wasn't in UFC, I think I probably wouldn't even watch it.