Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Posting results in strat (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519087)

iron81 10-09-2007 12:15 PM

Posting results in strat

Just a thought I had. For strat threads, I think that OPs should be encouraged to post results after their thread has petered out and people have stopped replying for a day or so. This is more for the respondants benefit than the OP's: it gives the respondants a chance to hone their reads. I mean, OPs can certainly learn from the advice they get, but it would be helpful for the respondants if they knew their read was off. It's also fun for the railbirds. Thoughts?

10-09-2007 12:16 PM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

tuq 10-09-2007 12:17 PM

Re: Posting results in strat

Grunching.

I don't care.

fnord_too 10-09-2007 12:19 PM

wtf, it's been a long time since I posted in strat forums but people don't post results anymore?

bonds 10-09-2007 12:27 PM

There are strat forums?

Well, there goes the rest of the day.

ElliotR 10-09-2007 12:38 PM

Obvious play to be appointed mod of yet another forum. Are there no bounds to your thirst for power?

XXXNoahXXX 10-09-2007 12:39 PM

alternatively, if the OP decides to put the results in white at the bottom, don't have your reply include "OMG I KNEW YOU HAD 9T!!!!!!!!!" because then it ruins it.

iron81 10-09-2007 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
alternatively, if the OP decides to put the results in white at the bottom, don't have your reply include "OMG I KNEW YOU HAD 9T!!!!!!!!!" because then it ruins it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I get why mods don't like results in white because 1. People read the results and post anyway and 2. Depending on your skin you can see the white text.

[ QUOTE ]
Obvious play to be appointed mod of yet another forum. Are there no bounds to your thirst for power?

[/ QUOTE ]
The only strat forum I'm remotely qualified to mod is Other Poker and there isn't much of a power base there.

traz 10-09-2007 12:41 PM

The main problem I have with results is that it encourages idiots to make threads with the intention of baiting people into incorrectly guessing the results. Then they can come back and go LOLOLOL YOU GUYS WERE SO WRONG.

tuq 10-09-2007 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending on your skin you can see the white text.

[/ QUOTE ]
Racist ban IMO.

Suigin406 10-09-2007 12:41 PM

fwiw, a lot of OPs do post results if they've been asked during the course of the thread, but yea, i see the point iron...posting in white in the OP is meh, [censored], a lot of us can easily see it anyway

tuq 10-09-2007 12:43 PM

Oh and in last night's home donkament I had A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in EP. There were still around seven players and my stack was about 15X BB and people generally play very loose. What's my play? Results may or may not follow.

diebitter 10-09-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are strat forums?

[/ QUOTE ]

Georgia Avenue 10-09-2007 12:52 PM

Tuq: LRR AI

Results:

XXXNoahXXX 10-09-2007 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Racist ban IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend and I took her "little sister" (BigBrother/BigSister program) apple picking yesterday. The girl is Puerto Rican and when she was talking about the people in her new school she said that she got along with the American girls, but not the black or puerto rican ones.

We said, "you mean the white girls?"

She replied with, "No, my teacher says that saying calling people white is offensive, and we should refer to them as Americans."

Los Feliz Slim 10-09-2007 12:54 PM

Results in white:

<font color="white"> Poop. </font>

FlyWf 10-09-2007 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The main problem I have with results is that it encourages idiots to make threads with the intention of baiting people into incorrectly guessing the results. Then they can come back and go LOLOLOL YOU GUYS WERE SO WRONG.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sort of thread life tilted me so hard until I remembered that I hated poker and stopped reading strat forums.

stabn 10-09-2007 01:21 PM

This thread sucks.

tuq 10-09-2007 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Grunch or lucky guess?

stabn 10-09-2007 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This thread sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Grunch or lucky guess?

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw name of OP.

Aloysius 10-09-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and in last night's home donkament I had A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in EP. There were still around seven players and my stack was about 15X BB and people generally play very loose. What's my play? Results may or may not follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

GA plays goot def. LRR AI if everyone's a maniac! Wut happened?!

-Al

holdme 10-09-2007 01:36 PM

i like seeing results in interesting threads but it never happens anymore

tuq 10-09-2007 01:37 PM

Al,

Results in black (racist ban IMO): instead of LRR I bet 3X BB and pushed everyone out. Whoops. But of course I did the right thing and showed my hand to let them know that I ONLY PLAY PREMIUM HANDS AND TO RESPECT MY RAISES.

Ended up going on to chop the winnings with another guy, who was loathe to chop when he was ahead of me like 17K chips to 15K chips. I won the next hand uncontested, took the chip lead and he was like hey a chop sounds good, heh. Apparently he wanted to grind for that extra $40 even though we were only a BB apart.

[Phill] 10-09-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Racist ban IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend and I took her "little sister" (BigBrother/BigSister program) apple picking yesterday. The girl is Puerto Rican and when she was talking about the people in her new school she said that she got along with the American girls, but not the black or puerto rican ones.

We said, "you mean the white girls?"

She replied with, "No, my teacher says that saying calling people white is offensive, and we should refer to them as Americans."

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO.

If thats true, its the most [censored] up PC BS thing ive ever heard about.

*TT* 10-09-2007 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only strat forum I'm remotely qualified to mod is Other Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to play other games well first before being qualified. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

PS: this thread will provide no results.

4_2_it 10-09-2007 01:59 PM

Results are not really relevant to a good strategy thread. The purpose is to assign a range to villain and talk about decisions based upon that range and villain's actions to that point. The outcome is not important, though in 75% or threads the hero loses.

I never post results in a strategy unless asked and then I usually PM them to the curious party.

goofyballer 10-09-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Results are not really relevant to a good strategy thread. The purpose is to assign a range to villain and talk about decisions based upon that range and villain's actions to that point. The outcome is not important, though in 75% or threads the hero loses.

I never post results in a strategy unless asked and then I usually PM them to the curious party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, Frank beat me to it by 17 mins.

This is the correct answer.

Daddy Warbucks 10-09-2007 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a good way to develop accurate ranges an actual knowledge of what hands play in what way.

MrWookie 10-09-2007 03:04 PM

However, if people include villain's actual hand in the range assigned to him, what's the point? People got their range right, or at least they were on the right track. I'll sometimes post results if they were out of left field, or occasionally if villain is a thinking opponent and analyzing his play with his hand adds depth to the post after my play has been analyzed.

XXXNoahXXX 10-09-2007 03:12 PM

well its nice to know if you were right about assigning that range.

just ending up with a consensus about villain's range isn't enough, because all it takes is a well known poster to say one thing, people jump on board, and it gets skewed.

I like to form my opinion, then read through other people's ideas, then find out who was correct.

4_2_it 10-09-2007 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like to form my opinion, then read through other people's ideas, then find out who was correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because everyone 'guessed wrong' on villain's range doesn't invalidate the discussion that occurred. If villain is an unknown and played a certain hand like a draw, but held the nuts, then the only things hero can hope to do 1) Understand why everyone thought villain was on a draw 2) make a note that villain plays very strong hands in an unorthodox way.

Results oriented thinking is rampant and posting results only reinforces it.

XXXNoahXXX 10-09-2007 03:30 PM

4_2_it,

obviously results suck when the OP posted the hand so that everyone would put him on a range and then be like "LOL he had 27os GUYZ" but when everyone is putting him on a hand, and then we find out he has a different hand, its cool to go back to the HH and figure out why he played it the way he did and whether it was simply played poorly or if he disguised his hand well intentionally. it's almost giving you two shots at analyzing the same hand.

*TT* 10-09-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4_2_it,

obviously results suck when the OP posted the hand so that everyone would put him on a range and then be like "LOL he had 27os GUYZ" but when everyone is putting him on a hand, and then we find out he has a different hand, its cool to go back to the HH and figure out why he played it the way he did and whether it was simply played poorly or if he disguised his hand well intentionally. it's almost giving you two shots at analyzing the same hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

true.. but mandating results is bad policy. It should be on a case by case basis as defined by the readers of the thread and the OP.

diebitter 10-09-2007 04:05 PM

Being focused on results reinforces -EV thinking.

Forget results.

4_2_it 10-09-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4_2_it,

[/ QUOTE ]

true.. but mandating results is bad policy. It should be on a case by case basis as defined by the readers of the thread and the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great answer.

iron81 10-09-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just looked at the various strat forum stickies, about half handle it this way and half have a blanket "no results" policy. My point was that results at the end of a thread are generally helpful and should be encouraged.

*TT* 10-09-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just looked at the various holdem forum stickies, about half handle it this way and half have a blanket "no results" policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are talking about in the original post ldo.

4_2_it 10-09-2007 04:33 PM

iron,

With the volume of threads that uNL and SSNL get, I really do not want to see 100 of yesterday's hands bumped to the top with results. New threads are bound to get lost in the shuffle.

We have never had complaints from regulars or new posters wanting to see results posted. This just doesn't seem like an issue right now.

iron81 10-09-2007 04:39 PM

Good point. The main strat forum I read is Other Poker, where we really don't have that problem. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

citanul 10-09-2007 04:49 PM

iron,

is this about that fwf hand?

edit: obviously it's "nice" if people do choose to post results at some point, but wtf, it's not like we're going to force people to go back and post results if they don't feel like it.

ie, this isn't your emo blog.