Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   OT: How often do regs spew? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549503)

pineapple888 11-19-2007 03:09 AM

OT: How often do regs spew?

OK, so I sit down this afternoon and play like an idiot.

Basically give away 4 buyins.

How often does this happen to other regs? If you are aiming for 4-5ptBB/100 long-term (and let's not argue over the number, pick whatever number you like), does that include the periodic spew session because sooner or later it's inevitable, or is that earn rate for machine-like players only?

vetiver 11-19-2007 03:19 AM

Re: OT: How often do regs spew?

Is the spew just due to uncontrolled tilt where you don't care about making +EV plays but just want to win some $ back? My guess is this can't be common for reg's w/ 4-5 ptbb rates.

orange 11-19-2007 03:20 AM

alot

Demogorgon 11-19-2007 03:21 AM

Very rarely.

Xanta 11-19-2007 03:22 AM

I make around .75 bad bluffs per 1500 hand session or so. I feel like a jerk every time that I do.

pineapple888 11-19-2007 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the spew just due to uncontrolled tilt where you don't care about making +EV plays but just want to win some $ back?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case it was just being stupid. Horrible reads, misunderstanding situations, stupid plays based on stack sizes, etc. So it was spew, not tilt, AFAIK. But it doesn't really matter, it's -EV either way.

Keyser. 11-19-2007 03:30 AM

What you're calling spew is just a play that didn't work that time but will work sometimes, which is hard to total up.

soda 11-19-2007 03:31 AM

I spew constantly, not necessarily every session, but almost certainly every day.

I just try to recognize it and play better once I do see it. I always try to utilize my spewy image too.

soda

Demogorgon 11-19-2007 03:33 AM

Yeah I make lots of thin calls and shoves and naturally this will make you feel like a spewy idiot over some periods of times but feeling like a genius the rest makes up for it. Make sure to brush it off by saying "metagame!" out loud when you lose obv.

ikestoys 11-19-2007 03:35 AM

I spew about once per session, I try to do it with equity tho (like with a gutshot at least) - lol

Most of the time "my spew" is me pushing a marginal edge to reinforce my crazy image. I get paid a lot because of this crazy image

Ranma4703 11-19-2007 03:36 AM

The money you lost while playing poorly is gone, but you will still make money if you play well most of the time. If you spew off money often, then you cannot be a winning player, but if you win 4 buy ins then spew off 3, you will still have the 1 buy in. Basically, if you run tilt at -20bb/hour and play normally at 5bb/hour then as long as you tilt less than 20% of the time you will make money.

Demogorgon 11-19-2007 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I spew about once per session, I try to do it with equity tho (like with a gutshot at least) - lol

Most of the time "my spew" is me pushing a marginal edge to reinforce my crazy image. I get paid a lot because of this crazy image

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok when I made my first reply I didn't consider this spew but if it is then I spew pretty often. I was thinking about real tilt spew like instacalling when you know youre drawing dead cause you hate your life.

pineapple888 11-19-2007 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok when I made my first reply I didn't consider this spew but if it is then I spew pretty often. I was thinking about real tilt spew like instacalling when you know youre drawing dead cause you hate your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah it wasn't that in my case. More like "zomg I has top pair that aggrotard be making a move" when there was really no justification for that read, and no reason to stack off in any case.

Panthro 11-19-2007 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
alot

[/ QUOTE ]

ikestoys 11-19-2007 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i'm talking about b/3b bluffs and cold 4bet bluffs (a personal favorite)

Demogorgon 11-19-2007 03:51 AM

What the hell I replied but nothing happened.

Anyway in that case I'd say 1-3 times a month maybe, then again I play very little and short sessions. In november I've played more + longer and I've already done it twice. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

ikestoys 11-19-2007 03:53 AM

for example, this is probably spew, although i think theres a possibility i can justify it:
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $389
Hero: $404
CO: $654.61
Button: $709.85
SB: $167.65
BB: $187.90

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $7</font>, CO folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($17, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $13</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $40</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $397</font>, Button folds.
Uncalled bets: $357 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $97

fees 11-19-2007 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
alot

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Rolon 11-19-2007 04:22 AM

I spew a lot and thus am not a regular anymore. I might make a come back one of these days....

dirtylobster 11-19-2007 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
alot

[/ QUOTE ]

bones 11-19-2007 05:00 AM

I jizz buyins across the table like Peter North on a semi-regular basis. 95% of other regs do as well. Pretty big reason most people are at 100 and 200nl is not putting in thought and exercising discipline on each and every hand.

Alobar 11-19-2007 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I jizz buyins across the table like Peter North on a semi-regular basis. 95% of other regs do as well. Pretty big reason most people are at 100 and 200nl is not putting in thought and exercising discipline on each and every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is so much awesomeness in this post.

Merlinius 11-19-2007 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is so much awesomeness in this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true. the same goes for me. usually i play solid for a couple of weeks and crush the games, then think i'm the greatest player in the world, stop thinking and start spewing - sometimes even without noticing it -, lose 20 buyins, think wtf, repeat.

but that's gonna change from now on [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Nick Royale 11-19-2007 05:36 AM

Never. I've spewed once at the end of a long losing session. Why the hell would you ever sit down planning to spew?

Merlinius 11-19-2007 05:49 AM

You don't plan it. It just "happens".

carrotsnake 11-19-2007 05:52 AM

more than I want to think about

Lucky 11-19-2007 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so I sit down this afternoon and play like an idiot.

Basically give away 4 buyins.

How often does this happen to other regs? If you are aiming for 4-5ptBB/100 long-term (and let's not argue over the number, pick whatever number you like), does that include the periodic spew session because sooner or later it's inevitable, or is that earn rate for machine-like players only?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you're a long term 4-5ptbb winnner and you sometimes spew, i guess regs do.

I don't spew and win about that, so maybe I'm not talented enough to win 5ptbb and spew sometimes.

Ratamahatta 11-19-2007 06:41 AM

Only when moving up.

blackize 11-19-2007 07:04 AM

Are you Jennifer Garner?

Helen82 11-19-2007 07:16 AM

If we didnt make a single spewy play in a session we wouldnt be in ssnl surely. That said, I seem to have a spewy session at least once a week, which is worrying.

Fletcher19 11-19-2007 07:22 AM

if you aren't spewing sometimes then you are probably playing like a vag

tannenj 11-19-2007 07:25 AM

i never do this towards the beginning of sessions. i do it once in a while towards the end.

Helen82 11-19-2007 07:31 AM

I'll regularly do it at the start of a session, esp if its in the morning. 90% of the time I have a bad spewy session there is a solid reason why I shouldnt have sit down to play

Nick Royale 11-19-2007 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Spewing and playing like an idiot is not the same thing. If you're often playing like an idiot, you're probably an idiot.

Shizzle12345 11-19-2007 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Spewing and playing like an idiot is not the same thing. If you're often playing like an idiot, you're probably an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
ah damn!

Unknown Soldier 11-19-2007 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
alot

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shizzle12345 11-19-2007 07:57 AM

I think there is a difference between playing aggressive and good poker, and between tilt. I classify spew as tilt. So spewwing sometimes doesnt have to do anything with playing like a vag. Nits tilt, and they are playing like vags.

shandyboy 11-19-2007 08:02 AM

i spew about once a fortnight, basically a session where nothing seems to go right... Last night was a good example, I drop 4 buy-ins in about 10mins, grind it back to minus 1buy-in and then lose a 200bb pot, within 3 mins i made a dubious 4 bet bluff, got away with it but i immediately closed my tables.
The fact i can now just book a small loss has improved my winrate no end.

As for other regs, they spew a lot imo at nl100 / and ofter at nl200.

FoldEqu1ty 11-19-2007 08:10 AM

Probably around 5PTBB/100 lifetime in pure spew

Unknown Soldier 11-19-2007 08:15 AM

no-one plays perfect poker. In general, you will either error on the side of not putting enough money in the pot or putting too much money in. I see the latter as "spew". Hence the statement "if you aren't spewing sometimes then you are probably playing like a vag" holds true.

thoughts?