Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   College Football Rank 'em --- Week 8 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527515)

Arnold_O 10-21-2007 12:32 AM

College Football Rank \'em --- Week 8

1. Ohio State (offense far from great)
2. Arizona State (Cal, Oregon, USC coming up)
3. Boston College ( #3 by default, plays VT next thursday)
4. LSU (another close game)
5. Oklahoma (unimpressive today)
6. Oregon (giving up too many points)
7. Kansas (finally got to see them today, interesting team)
8. Virginia Tech (can't wait till thursday!)
9. USC (not dead yet)
10. Missouri (blasted texas tech)
11. West Virginia
12. Auburn
13. Florida
14. Kentucky
15. Cal
16. South Florida (no respect for new kids on block)
17. South carolina (up and down)
18. Virginia
19. Connecticut
20. Rutgers
21. Georgia
(forgot Texas)
22. Michigan
23. Georgia Tech
24. Clemson
25. Purdue
26. Maryland
27. Penn State

KUJustin 10-21-2007 12:35 AM

Re: College Football Rank \'em --- Week 8

I'm happy that Kansas pulled #7 despite today being the first time you saw them (great win, but not our best showing by any means). I have a feeling the actual polls won't be so kind.

Jack of Arcades 10-21-2007 12:50 AM

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Oklahoma
4. Oregon
5. Kansas
6. Florida
7. Arizona State
8. West Virginia
9. South Florida
10. Kentucky

yeah yeah boston college or whatever.

Jack of Arcades 10-21-2007 12:56 AM

Off topic, but LSU is going to be #1 in the computer averages for sure, and probably #2 in both human polls.

iggymcfly 10-21-2007 01:02 AM

I guarantee BC will be #2 in all the polls this week. LSU will be lucky to jump Oklahoma.

barryc83 10-21-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
9. USC (not dead yet)
11. West Virginia
12. Auburn
13. Florida
14. Kentucky
15. Cal
18. Virginia
19. Connecticut
20. Rutgers
21. Georgia
(forgot Texas)
22. Michigan
23. Georgia Tech
24. Clemson
25. Purdue
26. Maryland
27. Penn State

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO @ Auburn. Seriously, moving a team up 5 spots after a loss is downright laughable. If you want to leave them in the top 25, fine by me. I think they are a good team, but #12 is funny. Bama is a top 27 team also. USC should drop more IMO too, they lost to an unranked team. Uconn #19 is also a stretch.

pwnsall 10-21-2007 01:10 AM

1. tOSU
2. BC
3. ASU
4. LSU
5. Kansas
6. OU
7. Missouri
8. Oregon
9. WVU
10. USF
11. Florida (want to put them higher but can't rationalize it yet)
12. Kentucky
13. USC
14. Virginia
15. Michigan

iggymcfly 10-21-2007 01:15 AM

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Oregon
4. Oklahoma (kinda wanted to drop them further, OU's had some bad games)
5. Boston College (super overrated at this point, only decent wins are over GT and Wake)
6. West Virginia (I know they lost H2H to USF but it was on the road; I think they're the better team)
7. USF
8. Florida
9. Kansas
10. Arizona State (also overrated, their best win is a home game vs. Colorado)
11. Missouri
12. USC
13. Kentucky
14. California
15. Virginia Tech
16. Auburn
17. South Carolina
18. Rutgers
19. UCLA (when they're focused and healthy, they can play with anyone in the Pac-Ten)
20. Michigan
21. Georgia
22. Texas
23. Penn State
24. Virginia (this is a gift, they would have lost to Maryland if it wasn't for a ridiculous spot on the last drive)
25. Alabama

Billy Bibbit 10-21-2007 01:17 AM

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Arizona State
4. Boston College
5. Oregon
6. South Florida
7. West Virginia
8. Oklahoma
9. Virginia Tech
10. Kansas
11. Florida
12. Missouri
13. Kentucky
14. California
15. South Carolina
16. Auburn
17. Georgia
18. Texas
19. USC
20. Michigan
21. UCLA
22. Rutgers
23. Penn State
24. Virginia
25. Connecticut

pvn 10-21-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bama is a top 27 team also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this was definitely our best game of the year. The defense finally showed up. If we can keep playing like that, we'll do fine. I'm not sure the D can sustain that performance though.

BobJoeJim 10-21-2007 01:27 AM

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Kansas
4. Oregon
5. Oklahoma
6. Boston College
7. West Virginia
8. Florida
9. Arizona State
10. Virginia Tech

I guess? I quit now.

barryc83 10-21-2007 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bama is a top 27 team also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this was definitely our best game of the year. The defense finally showed up. If we can keep playing like that, we'll do fine. I'm not sure the D can sustain that performance though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The D looked really shakey in the beginning of the game. However, we were a 30-35 ranked team coming into the game and absolutely smoked the #21 team. That puts Bama around #22-25 IMO.

Arnold_O 10-21-2007 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

LMFAO @ Auburn. Seriously, moving a team up 5 spots after a loss is downright laughable. If you want to leave them in the top 25, fine by me. I think they are a good team, but #12 is funny. Bama is a top 27 team also. USC should drop more IMO too, they lost to an unranked team. Uconn #19 is also a stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost put alabama in there but saw they lost to florida state. i had florida state ranked last week but dropped them after today's loss to miami. bama deserves to be in there.

auburn at 12 isn't laughable.

they go to florida and win !!!

they go to LSU and ALMOST win !!!

they lose a squeaker to S florida

they go to Arkansas and win

they route vandy

they beat a semi-decent kansas state

iggymcfly 10-21-2007 01:55 AM

Hmm, that would be 7 of their games. If that was their whole schedule, I don't think anyone would have a problem with them in the Top 12. However, there's also that pesky loss to 4-4 Mississippi State. I agree that they shouldn't be punished too much though. They were a different team early in the year and especially during the "bench Brandon Cox" experiment.

I think their results the last few weeks show they're clearly a Top 20 team. I decided not to drop them at all this week, and left them in the same #16 spot where I had them last week.

damaniac 10-21-2007 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost put alabama in there but saw they lost to florida state. i had florida state ranked last week but dropped them after today's loss to miami. bama deserves to be in there.

auburn at 12 isn't laughable.

they go to florida and win !!!

they go to LSU and ALMOST win !!!

they lose a squeaker to S florida

they go to Arkansas and win

they route vandy

they beat a semi-decent kansas state

[/ QUOTE ]

They also lost to Miss St. I realize that was somewhat of a fluke (ie, MSU isn't better than them) but at this point in the year I can't justify putting a team with 3 losses that high unless they lost top 3 top 5 teams and have wins over a couple of top 10 teams.

BobJoeJim 10-21-2007 02:17 AM

Edit: oops, wrong thread.

iggymcfly 10-21-2007 02:39 AM

Actually, on further review, I think I should switch Oklahoma and BC. I mean being tied 7-7 in the 4th with Iowa State is really bad. This is the same team that lost to Toledo, Kent State, and Northern Iowa and lost by 55 to Texas just last week. BC's win over GT is way better than anything Oklahoma's done on the road this year.

kevin017 10-21-2007 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
24. Virginia (this is a gift, they would have lost to Maryland if it wasn't for a ridiculous spot on the last drive)

[/ QUOTE ]

[uvahomer]i actually haven't looked at the replay with the overhead view yet to see how far he might've been from the 1st, but from the replay reviews, he looked like he made it. I've heard that looking at it from the other view he looked a half a yard shy, but haven't replayed it for myself yet to know for sure. Either way, i think calling it a ridiculous spot is a bit exaggerated.

also, uva was pretty dominant in a lot of other aspects like offensive yards, and i think the win makes it pretty hard to argue UVA doesn't belong in the top 25, though i agree with you we deserve to be in the 22-25 range.[/uvahomer]

iggymcfly 10-21-2007 03:08 AM

He was going out of bounds at a 45 degree angle, and when he went down, he was directly at the first down marker, still short of where they spotted it, and already half a yard out of bounds. He looked at least half a yard short to me and I think it was blatant enough that they should have overturned it on the review even if they didn't get it the first time. I definitely don't think he deserved the first down there.

With that said, I had a little rooting interest against UVA myself tonight, as I've still kind of been holding out hope that GT could win the Coastal at 5-3. Virginia beating Maryland knocks their chances from around 5% down to maybe 1% so I definitely wasn't happy with the result.

iggymcfly 10-21-2007 03:17 AM

And just because I'm bored, I'm going to continue my rankings from #26 on down to #41 (arbitrary stopping point after running out of teams that deserved recognition)

26. Connecticut
27. Cincinnatti
28. Kansas State
29. Boise State
30. Hawaii
31. Purdue
32. Oregon State
33. Tennessee
34. Georgia Tech
35. Oklahoma State
36. Texas Tech
37. Illinois
38. Arkansas
39. Wake Forest
40. Clemson
41. BYU

dms 10-21-2007 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
9. USC (not dead yet)
11. West Virginia
12. Auburn
13. Florida
14. Kentucky
15. Cal
18. Virginia
19. Connecticut
20. Rutgers
21. Georgia
(forgot Texas)
22. Michigan
23. Georgia Tech
24. Clemson
25. Purdue
26. Maryland
27. Penn State

[/ QUOTE ]

Michigan is not worse than 6 SEC teams. They had 2 terrible games while their young defense started the season. At this point, with Hart and Henne healthy, which it appears they will be by the time they need them, it's pretty terrible having them at 22.

iggymcfly 10-21-2007 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Michigan is not worse than 6 SEC teams. They had 2 terrible games while their young defense started the season. At this point, with Hart and Henne healthy, which it appears they will be by the time they need them, it's pretty terrible having them at 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have Michigan ahead of Georgia at #20, but still #22 is far from ridiculous. They've looked great the last two weeks, but you have to look at the whole season. They lost to App State, got pounded by Oregon (31 points, remember?), trailed Northwestern in the 4th quarter and played a close game with 2-6 Eastern Michigan.

When your best wins are over two fringe Top 30 teams, you've got two close wins against teams outside the Top 70, and you've got a loss to a I-AA team, it's hard to say you deserve much better than the 20-25 range.

TalkingDonkey 10-21-2007 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have Michigan ahead of Georgia at #20, but still #22 is far from ridiculous. They've looked great the last two weeks, but you have to look at the whole season. They lost to App State, got pounded by Oregon (31 points, remember?), trailed Northwestern in the 4th quarter and played a close game with 2-6 Eastern Michigan.

When your best wins are over two fringe Top 30 teams, you've got two close wins against teams outside the Top 70, and you've got a loss to a I-AA team, it's hard to say you deserve much better than the 20-25 range.

[/ QUOTE ]

ASU is one thing, but Oregon is really, really good

iggymcfly 10-21-2007 04:00 AM

Yeah, I know Oregon's really good but losing to anyone by 31 points at home is terrible. I still refuse to put VT higher than #15 because of the LSU game where they lost by 41 even though LSU's better than Oregon is.

Arnold_O 10-21-2007 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

10. Arizona State (also overrated, their best win is a home game vs. Colorado)

[/ QUOTE ]

i expect them to lose a game maybe 2

but all their wins were solid except the washington st game

they might be for real

Sep 1 San Jose St. Won 45-3
Sep 8 Colorado Won 33-14
Sep 15 San Diego St. Won 34-13
Sep 22 Oregon St. Won 44-32
Sep 29 @Stanford Won 41-3
Oct 6 @Washington St. Won 23-20
Oct 13 Washington Won 44-20

Billy Bibbit 10-21-2007 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This begs the question of what rankings are measuring. In my opinion by this point in the season (and certainly by the end of the season) they're measuring a team's body of work, not how good the team "looks" when you watch them on TV. Michigan looks better than some of the teams above them but the loss to App. St. sticks out like a sore thumb on their resume and they're still getting punished severely for it.

Edit: As far as blowouts go I don't look at a 35-point loss as being much worse than an 18-point loss because once a game gets out of hand, teams stop taking it seriously and it stops being a good measuring stick. I don't blame people who want to punish Virginia Tech more for that loss than I am though.

Case Closed 10-21-2007 04:35 AM

2007 Ohio State is the worst number one team since 2006 Ohio State.

Semtex 10-21-2007 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ASU is one thing, but Oregon is really, really good

[/ QUOTE ]
no defense

Semtex 10-21-2007 06:41 AM

i guess you have to rank ASU high b/c of the record but trust me this team isn't that good. they can enjoy the high rank for all of one week maybe two. wait till cal, @ oregon, @ ucla and usc, coincidently all of their remaining schedule minus the last game against arizona. i predict they win one maybe two out of that 4.

iggymcfly 10-21-2007 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess you have to rank ASU high b/c of the record but trust me this team isn't that good. they can enjoy the high rank for all of one week maybe two. wait till cal, @ oregon, @ ucla and usc, coincidently all of their remaining schedule minus the last game against arizona. i predict they win one maybe two out of that 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think #10's fair for now. The narrow escape against WSU in one of their only two road games (other was against Stanford) is a huge red flag and the wins against Colorado and Oregon State aren't exactly blowing me away either.

All I can say is that they better beat Cal at home, because otherwise they're looking at 8-4 or maybe even 7-5. Not that they couldn't make a run if they do beat Cal, but this is the easiest game on their schedule til the finale so they really need a win.

yjbrewer 10-21-2007 10:17 AM

1 OSU
2 Boston College (Will not end up there at season end)
3 Oklahoma (Close game but in this crazy season be happy with win)
4 LSU
5 Oregon (Struggle with the Huskies. Tougher road ahead. They wont be here long)
6 WVU
7 Va Tech
8 ASU
9 USC
10 Florida

I dont feel that BC will last long for top 2 spot for NC game but if they dont lose then they deserve to go. Thy have done nothing wrong but stay undefeated. Wild and crazy year and I hope more top 10 teams continue to lose. I could care less about any of the teams. Games are fun to watch though.

rwperu34 10-21-2007 10:22 AM

1. Ohio State, 7-0
2. Arizona State, 7-0
3. Kansas, 7-0
4. Louisiana State, 7-1
5. Oregon, 6-1
6. Boston College, 7-0
7. South Florida, 6-1
8. Oklahoma, 7-1
9. Missouri, 6-1
10. West Virginai, 6-1
11. Florida, 5-2
12. Kentucky, 6-2
13. Virginia Tech, 6-1
14. Southern Cal, 6-1
15. South Carolina, 6-2
16. California, 5-2
17. Hawaii, 7-0
18. Georgia, 5-2
19. Michigan, 6-2
20. Penn State, 6-2
21. Auburn, 5-3
22. UCLA, 5-2
23. Alabama, 6-2
24. Clemson, 5-2
25. Texas , 6-2

Austiger 10-21-2007 10:22 AM

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Oregon
4. Oklahoma
5. Boston College
6. West Virginia
7. USF
8. Florida
9. Arizona State
10. Kansas
11. USC
12. Missouri
13. Kentucky
14. Virginia Tech
15. California
16. Auburn
17. South Carolina
18. Rutgers
19. Michigan
20. UCLA
21. Georgia
22. Texas
23. Penn State
24. Virginia
25. Hawaii

Pretty close to Iggy's. Just switched a few teams. LSU/Ohio State looks like the MNC matchup right now. Long way to go though.

barryc83 10-21-2007 11:33 AM

1 OSU
2 BC
3 LSU
4 Oklahoma
5 Oregon
6 Kansas
7 ASU
8 Florida
9 USF
10 WVU
11 Mizzou
12 USC
13 VTech
14 Kentucky
15 Georgia
16 Texas
17 USC (originally thought they should be lower before looking @ who lost)
18 Rutgers
19 Virginia
20 Cal
21 Michigan
22 PSU
23 Auburn
24 Alabama
25 UConn

barryc83 10-21-2007 11:37 AM

I have a question for those who put OSU #1 and DID NOT put BC #2. They both have played pretty easy schedules but BC has a win @ #15 GTech while OSU's biggest win was @ #23 Purdue. If everyone thinks OSU is the best team, how can you not think BC is #2. If and this is a really big if, but if BC beats VT in Blacksburg, they should be #1 IMO.

Austiger 10-21-2007 12:36 PM

By the way, Kansas should not be considered for the BCS title this year. If you know years in advance that you have a conference schedule coming up where you avoid both Texas and Oklahoma in the same year and this is the nonconference schedule you set up...

September 1 Central Michigan W 52-7 1-0 (0-0)
September 8 Southeastern Louisiana W 62-0 2-0 (0-0)
September 15 Toledo W 45-13 3-0 (0-0)
September 22 Florida International W 55-3 4-0 (0-0)

...then you are conceding that you are not ready to play with the big boys. I don't care that you could still play OU in the BigXII title game. That is inexcusable.

FlyWf 10-21-2007 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question for those who put OSU #1 and DID NOT put BC #2. They both have played pretty easy schedules but BC has a win @ #15 GTech while OSU's biggest win was @ #23 Purdue. If everyone thinks OSU is the best team, how can you not think BC is #2. If and this is a really big if, but if BC beats VT in Blacksburg, they should be #1 IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because OSU has dominated it's terrible schedule and BC hasn't. Also the entire rest of the top 10 would be neutral field favorites over BC.

OSU
LSU
Oregon
UF

There are no other teams worth talking about.

KUJustin 10-21-2007 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, Kansas should not be considered for the BCS title this year. If you know years in advance that you have a conference schedule coming up where you avoid both Texas and Oklahoma in the same year and this is the nonconference schedule you set up...

September 1 Central Michigan W 52-7 1-0 (0-0)
September 8 Southeastern Louisiana W 62-0 2-0 (0-0)
September 15 Toledo W 45-13 3-0 (0-0)
September 22 Florida International W 55-3 4-0 (0-0)

...then you are conceding that you are not ready to play with the big boys. I don't care that you could still play OU in the BigXII title game. That is inexcusable.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are we supposed to know years in advance which of those teams are going to be good? CMU had 10 wins and won the MAC last year. Toledo was a pretty solid team just a couple of years ago. And no, 2 years ago when these were getting scheduled we probably weren't thinking about the national championship implications, big deal.

By the same token, I wouldn't say that missing Texas is some great twist of fortune They're almost certainly worse than Mizzou and I wouldn't say they're significantly better than OSU, aTm, CU, or KSU.

Especially this season there's no way you can tell me a 13-0 Kansas team doesn't deserve a shot at the title. Give me a break.

iggymcfly 10-21-2007 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't go by their ranking at the time. Right now, GT's 5-3 (#34 by my rankings) and Purdue's 6-2 (#31 by my rankings). However, BC struggled with Notre Dame and UMass and didn't really blow out anyone all year while OSU's been beating teams badly. The Sagarin predictor which relies heavily on margin of victory has Ohio State 11 spots higher than Boston College.

Semtex 10-21-2007 03:08 PM

USC and Florida are tied for 9th in the AP? Wow didn't see that coming.