Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bands that drastically changed musical styles (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=495805)

gusmahler 09-07-2007 02:41 PM

Bands that drastically changed musical styles

I was listening to Avenged Sevenfold's second album and was thinking about the big difference between the second album (sort of metalcore) and the third album (sort of power metal). But even that difference really isn't that big to non-metal fans (the biggest difference being the complete absence of screamed vocals).

So I thought about other bands that had marked style changes in the middle of the career. I'm not talking about things like Genesis becoming more poppy over the course of a dozen years or Metallica gradually slowing down. I mean a change of direction that is not very subtle.

Some that I could think of:

* Probably the most famous example, U2 turned electronic for the 90s. Then went back to rock in the 00s

* The second most famous example, Radiohead turned electronic.

* Papa Roach was a rap-metal band. Their third album completely abandoned the rap aspect.

* The most drastic change I can think of is Ministry. They started as a "new wave synth-pop" band. Within two albums, they were one of the pioneer "Industrial" bands. Then they abandoned keyboards altogether.

Other examples?

Quanah Parker 09-07-2007 02:47 PM

Re: Bands that drastically changed musical styles

Corrosion of Conformity
Bad Brains
TSOL
PJ Harvey
Beastie Boys

c_stop 09-07-2007 02:48 PM

Bob Dylan-

Folk - Rock - Country - Gospel - Hip-Hop - Folk

I may be missing a few genres in there, and the hip-hop is obv. a joke, but the man has changed gears, both musically and vocally, many times in his career.

daryn 09-07-2007 02:48 PM

green day

Alobar 09-07-2007 02:50 PM

Sugar Ray- they went from a metal band to a gay ass top40 band, biggest bunch of sellout lame asses ever IMO

highlife 09-07-2007 02:50 PM

Goo Goo Dolls

Quanah Parker 09-07-2007 02:53 PM

oh yeah, and evryone's favorite
http://home.comcast.net/~mgblog/pics/gbrooks2a.jpg

tercet 09-07-2007 02:55 PM

Linkin Parks new album, from Nu-Metal to ???

jtr 09-07-2007 02:55 PM

The Originals, The New Originals, The Dutchmen, Rave Breakers, Hellcats, Flamin' Daemons, Shiners, Mondos, the Doppel Gang, the Peoples, Loose Lips, Waffles, Hot Waffles, Silver Service, The Mud Below, the Tufnel-St. Hubbins Group, Spinal Tap. A variety of styles there.

thirddan 09-07-2007 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sugar Ray- they went from a metal band to a gay ass top40 band, biggest bunch of sellout lame asses ever IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

first one i thought of...similar for staind, korn etc although not to the same extent as sugar ray...

Hopscotch 09-07-2007 02:57 PM

The Byrds

GuyIncognito 09-07-2007 03:00 PM

Alanis used to be a dance-pop artist.

JasonK 09-07-2007 03:01 PM

Smashing pumpkins.

DonkeyKongSr 09-07-2007 03:03 PM

Madonna picks whatever style is currently most popular for each album.

correia 09-07-2007 03:05 PM

http://handson.provocateuse.com/imag...d_bowie_06.jpg

XXXNoahXXX 09-07-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Linkin Parks new album, from Nu-Metal to ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Vag-metal?

i still love em.

pokerbobo 09-07-2007 03:07 PM

Ministry for sure.... The Cult albums Love, Electric, and Sonic Temple were all different.

Metallica went from thrash to warmed over crap in the span of three albums.

otnemem 09-07-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad Brains

[/ QUOTE ]
Worst transition of all time.

nath 09-07-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, I opened the thread just to say this. Also to add that I actually saw one of their old metal videos in HS on MTV's 120 Minutes, and they were even worse at that than the top 40 crap.

nath 09-07-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Goo Goo Dolls

[/ QUOTE ]
What were they before becoming a radio-sanitized Replacements ripoff? Or are you saying they've changed from that?

TheDudeAbides 09-07-2007 03:23 PM

People are underestimating what Dylan did when he went electric. He changed the face of popular music, and he went into it knowing that initially people would hate it. When he broke out the electric at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965 - some guy in the audience actually yelled out "Judas". Dylan just laughed and ripped one of the most infamous sets in rock history. 40 years later he's still around and widely considered one of if not the most influential artists in rock history. Hate him or love him, you can't deny that he changed the face of popular music.

evil twin 09-07-2007 03:23 PM

David Bowie is king.

Jack of Arcades 09-07-2007 03:25 PM

The Cure.

4_2_it 09-07-2007 03:25 PM

Beck does this all the time.

dizong 09-07-2007 03:31 PM

Anyone mention the Beatles?

PokerAmateur4 09-07-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
green day

[/ QUOTE ]first one i thought of. wtf )-:

slothinator 09-07-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
David Bowie is king.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such a great example. He didn't just change the style of the music, he would alter his entire peronality.

metsandfinsfan 09-07-2007 03:36 PM

Rush

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/s3386.jpg

pure heavy metal back then

solids 09-07-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, I opened the thread just to say this. Also to add that I actually saw one of their old metal videos in HS on MTV's 120 Minutes, and they were even worse at that than the top 40 crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, me too. Good lord, they are sellouts.

Another band that comes to mind is Incubus. Songs from the album S.C.I.E.N.C.E are way different than some of their later stuff (Amber, Love Song, etc.).

dizong 09-07-2007 03:39 PM

Fleetwood Mac - hardcore blues rock with Peter Green, sappy pop [censored] once he left

MattSuspect 09-07-2007 03:46 PM

For the hardcore kids, Cave In, the band was a metalcore stalwart of the 90s, just sick metal guitars and super harsh screaming, with the occasional offkey singing. In 2001 they released Jupiter, which was essentially a progrock album. Basically like a hardcore rush. The album was critically aclaimed they got signed to a major label, released a pretty mediocre follow up, then released another piece of trash after they were dropped and now are broken up.

KilgoreTrout 09-07-2007 03:52 PM

Jello Biafra

otnemem 09-07-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the hardcore kids, the band was a metalcore stalwart of the 90s, just sick metal guitars and super harsh screaming, with the occasional offkey singing. In 2001 they released Jupiter, which was essentially a progrock album. Basically like a hardcore rush. The album was critically aclaimed they got signed to a major label, released a pretty mediocre follow up, then released another piece of trash after they were dropped and now are broken up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, which band?

*TT* 09-07-2007 03:53 PM

1st time I saw the Beastie Boys they were called the Young & the Useless at CBGBs, they were a typical NYC Hardcore band with punk influences (they worshiped the Bad Brains like the rest of us did back then). Their drummer was Kate Jackson from Luscious Jackson. They didn't do any rapping at all(check out Pollywog Stew for an example). A year later they came out with a joke 12" called Cookie Puss which surprisingly got some club play which made fun of Carvel's ice cream cake character. Rick Rubin picked them up and produced She's On It and that was the first punk-rap crossover album ever.

Fast forward... I think you know what happened.

Two other honorable mentions:

1) Ministry (as previously mentioned - except the OP was wrong, the whole point of the band was heavy guitar lines sampled and played on keyboard/ProTools). They went from Depeche Mode early 80's synth pop to a band that makes Trent Reznor sound tame. This would make a great thread started by Electrical, Steve Albini and this band have some history

2) Michael Bolton. Before he was the second coming of the white soul singer he was signed as a heavy metal artist. He switched because he started working with a producer as a demo singer to make some extra bucks, they sold a jingle or two, and the producer (Kieth Diamond - RIP) pitched the idea to the label who authorized the switch in genres. If you think he was a cheese soul singer then you really have to check out the cheese wizz he spread thick when he was a metal singer in the early 80's.

Patton4 09-07-2007 03:55 PM

Two early 90's classics....

Vanilla Ice to some sort of hardcore noise.

MC Hammer to Hammer - straight corny to straight corny gangsta.

Alobar 09-07-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) Michael Bolton. Before he was the second coming of the white soul singer he was signed as a heavy metal artist. He switched because he started working with a producer as a demo singer to make some extra bucks, they sold a jingle or two, and the producer (Kieth Diamond - RIP) pitched the idea to the label who authorized the switch in genres. If you think he was a cheese soul singer then you really have to check out the cheese wizz he spread thick when he was a metal singer in the early 80's.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh. my. god.

wow

MattSuspect 09-07-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the hardcore kids, the band was a metalcore stalwart of the 90s, just sick metal guitars and super harsh screaming, with the occasional offkey singing. In 2001 they released Jupiter, which was essentially a progrock album. Basically like a hardcore rush. The album was critically aclaimed they got signed to a major label, released a pretty mediocre follow up, then released another piece of trash after they were dropped and now are broken up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, which band?

[/ QUOTE ]

hah. still groggy. Cave In. Check out everything up until Jupiter. One of the best modern hardcore bands.

pokerbobo 09-07-2007 04:02 PM

Pat Boone.... didnt he do a cover album of hard rock songs?

DarrenX 09-07-2007 04:07 PM

Moby- Techno/Electronica to Ambient/Gosphel

metsandfinsfan 09-07-2007 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pat Boone.... didnt he do a cover album of hard rock songs?

[/ QUOTE ]

they werent done heavy metal style though .. just the words

and it was a joke album