Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Villain's river play any good? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549304)

istewart 11-18-2007 09:50 PM

Villain\'s river play any good?

Villain is a FTP regular. I'll give his name if anyone cares. He's likely a winner but too aggressive in dumb spots.

He checkraises ace-high flops pretty liberally in general.

Full Tilt Poker $3/$6 Limit Hold'em - 6 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Results:
<font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero shows Kc, Ac (two pair, Aces and Tens).
Button doesn't show.
BB shows Qs, 9c (a pair of Tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.75 BB.
($3.00 Rake)
</font>

Obviously it doesn't look great, but I thought I was smoked on the river by either diamonds with a ten or complete air (on the flop) with a ten. Is his play any good? (Not vs. my specific hand, but vs. my range.)

NinaWilliams 11-18-2007 09:56 PM

Re: Villain\'s river play any good?

His river play is horrific. Your play looks like an A from start to finish and no one ever folds top pair. His turn play is lol too.

istewart 11-18-2007 09:59 PM

Only an A? What about 99+? The thing is there's not much of a difference between 99 and AK when he checkraises the river, but most people don't understand that and will be much more prone to fold KK than AK.

V4P 11-18-2007 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His river play is horrific. Your play looks like an A from start to finish and no one ever folds top pair. His turn play is lol too.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly...

So who was villian?

Oink 11-18-2007 10:02 PM

what is he repping?

I can see T8 maybe making sense.

Any Hero with half a brain will call bs and throw in a wtf call with any pair here

V4P 11-18-2007 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only an A? What about 99+? The thing is there's not much of a difference between 99 and AK when he checkraises the river, but most people don't understand that and will be much more prone to fold KK than AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the action, I don't think I've ever seen anyone bet/fold this river.

istewart 11-18-2007 10:03 PM

Ya Oink that's the problem, he's only repping some crap he backdoored into. Maybe I'm just retarded.

Villain is Shuxer, V4P.

MacGuyV 11-18-2007 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I don't understand how a T is remotely believable.

V4P 11-18-2007 10:09 PM

Yea, he can be pretty spazzy, especially against fellow TAGs. I'd never fold this river vs him

bobhalford 11-18-2007 10:17 PM

I think villain's play here is to check/fold the flop. Certainly for hero calling the river is a no-brainer.

mattnxtc 11-18-2007 10:19 PM

10x of diamonds?

NinaWilliams 11-18-2007 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think villain's play here is to check/fold the flop. Certainly for hero calling the river is a no-brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

flop c/r is fine.

StrictlyStrategy 11-18-2007 10:37 PM

3b flop plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wow

bobhalford 11-18-2007 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

flop c/r is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I c/f because I have no pair and no draw, not even a backdoor draw. The ace high flop hits hero's range often and rarely is KK/QQ folding, especially if hero knows that villain liberally check-raises ace high flops.

Rather frequently villain gets 3-bet on the flop, or else gets called and then raised on the turn when he is drawing dead. Also, he has to commit to betting the turn and sometimes even the river as a desperate 3 barrel bluff. Generally when called on the flop hero is seeing a showdown. So really, the only value to this play is getting hero to fold to a check-raise on the flop. If I am going to make this play, I'll at least have a gutshot or backdoor flush draw, something.

NinaWilliams 11-18-2007 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

flop c/r is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I c/f because I have no pair and no draw, not even a backdoor draw. The ace high flop hits hero's range often and rarely is KK/QQ folding, especially if hero knows that villain liberally check-raises ace high flops.

Rather frequently villain gets 3-bet on the flop, or else gets called and then raised on the turn when he is drawing dead. Also, he has to commit to betting the turn and sometimes even the river as a desperate 3 barrel bluff. Generally when called on the flop hero is seeing a showdown. So really, the only value to this play is getting hero to fold to a check-raise on the flop. If I am going to make this play, I'll at least have a gutshot or backdoor flush draw, something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it would be good if hero opened OTB or the CO. But a lot of villains range misses this flop and he often folds right away.

private joker 11-18-2007 10:59 PM

Villain played this hand horribly.

You're never betting that river without a hand that can stand a checkraise. Terrible bluff spot considering the board texture (missed draws, etc.)

inferno 11-19-2007 06:34 AM

I put villian on Q9

also why arent we 3balling the flop

shane88888 11-19-2007 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

River move by villain is pretty lame. As Oink said, at the very least you're getting wtf-called really frequently here.

shane88888 11-19-2007 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I put villian on Q9

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming villain is most likely c/r'ing flop with a four-flush, and the plan is to pop a non-flush turn.

Is this correct?

Oink 11-19-2007 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I put villian on Q9

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming villain is most likely c/r'ing flop with a four-flush, and the plan is to pop a non-flush turn.

Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya. Given hero's position and this board Id say that calling flop and popping non d turn &gt; 3-bet flop.

It also allows villain to fire turn with air

NinaWilliams 11-19-2007 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I put villian on Q9

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya. Given hero's position and this board Id say that calling flop and popping non d turn &gt; 3-bet flop.

It also allows villain to fire turn with air

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, wtf @ 3 betting the flop vs a guy thats known to take shots at A high boards. Also, if we have a read that he's taking shots at this flop a lot, shouldnt we be raising any turn(even a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) or the river?

sharpie 11-19-2007 09:15 PM

Villain misplayed every postflop street IMO.