Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   tipping w/other ppl's money (coworkers, boss) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546907)

mbillie1 11-15-2007 03:08 PM

tipping w/other ppl\'s money (coworkers, boss)

I know, I'm such a hypocrite, etc.

Basically, my boss tells me to order food to be delivered to the office for a meeting or whatever. I order it. It's $31, he gives me a 50. How much are you tipping on someone else's dime here? Eg I'd usually tip $6-7 here, but is there an onus on me to tip strictly 15% because it's my boss's money?

Similarly, coworkers and I order lunch. It's like $23 and change. They've all given me $10s or $20s beforehand, if it matters. 15% automatically, or up to the discretion of the person doing the tipping?

eg I know some penny pinching nits would bag the tip and stiff the delivery guy, and some would do flat 15%, and some would tip as they saw fit.

In example #1, the food ordered was not for me (none of it), so does that change things?

Just wondering if I made the right calls, and genuinely sorry for making another fking tipping thread.

m

edit: what I'm asking is what you think the standard or expected workplace protocol is, NOT what you feel is correct.

TomVeil 11-15-2007 03:12 PM

Re: tipping w/other ppl\'s money (coworkers, boss)

I'd tip exactly the same as I normally do. If they ask, just say "It was X after tip".

solids 11-15-2007 03:15 PM

There is no standard protocol. It all depends on how nitty your boss or coworkers are. In most cases, just tip what you normally do. Most people don't flip out over tipping an extra $1.50.

blinden84 11-15-2007 03:21 PM

This is basically why I always go it alone for lunching, gets way too stupid and confusing with some people, and somehow the money is always short.

fmxda 11-15-2007 03:23 PM

I would just tip my standard amount for delivery, which usually is around 5-10%, $1 minimum

The Owl 11-15-2007 03:50 PM

Ask the person giving you the money how much you should tip.

Didn't want to start my own tipping thread, so here's my recent tipping issue:

My doctor's office is in a big medical building. When you pull into the underground garage you're required to leave your car with the valet, they're right at the entrance. The doctor does not validate. I was there on Monday for 40 minutes and was charged $9 to park my car. Let me reiterate I did not choose to valet the car, I didn't have another choice. I did not tip the valet the extra $1, my wife said I was being a douche. Thoughts?

mbillie1 11-15-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My doctor's office is in a big medical building. When you pull into the underground garage you're require to leave your car with the valet, they're right at the entrance. The doctor does not validate. I was there on Monday for 40 minutes and was charged $9 to park my car. Let me reiterate I did not choose to valet the car, I didn't have another choice. I did not tip the valet the extra $1, my wife said I was being a douche. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

seems fine to me

solids 11-15-2007 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't do this. Your boss will think you're retarded if you can't even handle such a simple responsibility as tipping.

mbillie1 11-15-2007 04:05 PM

Results wise, both times I tipped what I felt like ($6 on the $31, $5 on the $24) and neither time anyone seemed to care/notice/be upset that I "overtipped" or whatever. I just wasn't sure if there was some unspoken business rule about tipping in these situations or not. I certainly wasn't going to ask my boss lol.

Tony_P 11-15-2007 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My doctor's office is in a big medical building. When you pull into the underground garage you're required to leave your car with the valet, they're right at the entrance. The doctor does not validate. I was there on Monday for 40 minutes and was charged $9 to park my car. Let me reiterate I did not choose to valet the car, I didn't have another choice. I did not tip the valet the extra $1, my wife said I was being a douche. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

your wife should leave you

Henry17 11-15-2007 04:20 PM

I usually tip 20% then round off to the next full bill. The $24 I would have tipped $6. The $31 I would have tipped $9 but I'd then give the boss back $5 from my own pocket. It really depends on where I work. If it is a smaller business then I might just tip $4.

I agree with the wife on the valet issue.

mbillie1 11-15-2007 04:22 PM

fwiw it is a small business

Henry17 11-15-2007 04:25 PM

I just realized the US has $1 bills so I'd just tip 20% without any rounding.

heater 11-15-2007 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't do this. Your boss will think you're retarded if you can't even handle such a simple responsibility as tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think it's standard to casually ask, "How much for the tip?" or something along those lines. It is the boss's money.

forshure 11-15-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just tip my standard amount for delivery, which usually is around 5-10%, $1 minimum

[/ QUOTE ]

I was visiting Ann Arbor from UofI this weekend, and was told of that shirt and went searching for it drunk at half time. Could not find it and kept getting really funny faces like it for some reason did not exist even though many had told me it did.

El Diablo 11-15-2007 04:44 PM

mb,

For the first one, with the boss, ask him "About how much do we normally tip the delivery guy?"

For the second one, lunch for you and coworkers, tip whatever you want.

mbillie1 11-15-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mb,

For the first one, with the boss, ask him "About how much do we normally tip the delivery guy?"

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems good, ty

fwiw I woulda posted this before the incident but our internet was down at work lol

mak15 11-15-2007 05:30 PM

similar but different:

Solo taxi ride: the receipt is for the amount of the fare. Do I just write next to it the tip amount? Or do I just tip out of pocket? I kind of don't mind tipping on my own since theoretically my tip is a reward for the driver for providing a service to me.

SackUp 11-15-2007 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
similar but different:

Solo taxi ride: the receipt is for the amount of the fare. Do I just write next to it the tip amount? Or do I just tip out of pocket? I kind of don't mind tipping on my own since theoretically my tip is a reward for the driver for providing a service to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have him give you a receipt including the tip.

Tony_P 11-15-2007 05:50 PM

driver can't add a tip to the receipt if the meter just spits one out. Writing in is standard

El Diablo 11-15-2007 06:20 PM

mak,

Just write tip on receipt and expense total amount.

Bostaevski 11-15-2007 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was visiting Ann Arbor from UofI this weekend, and was told of that shirt and went searching for it drunk at half time. Could not find it and kept getting really funny faces like it for some reason did not exist even though many had told me it did.

[/ QUOTE ]

What in the flying blue [censored] does this mean?

forshure 11-15-2007 10:35 PM

I just saw the guys avatar of a pic of ohio captioned "worst state ever" which as I am told is a shirt in the state of michigan.

stinkypete 11-15-2007 11:39 PM

$7 for a $31 order? the delivery guys must love you.

mbillie1 11-15-2007 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$7 for a $31 order? the delivery guys must love you.

[/ QUOTE ]

obv

it pays off in the long run if you order frequently from the same place though, comes quicker / made better / get extra stuff for free / etc

fmxda 11-16-2007 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It exists, I personally don't have one, but they are sold here

http://mgostore.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/

dkgojackets 11-16-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just realized the US has $1 bills

[/ QUOTE ]

this made me laugh for some reason

dragonystic 11-16-2007 07:39 AM

lol, fmx. i think i need to change my avatar to yours. this state sucks.

MortalWombat 11-16-2007 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually tip 20% then round off to the next full bill. The $24 I would have tipped $6.

[/ QUOTE ]
.2 X 24 = 4.8

Next full bill is $5.

Henry17 11-16-2007 11:18 AM

No I meant the next full bill so I don't get coins. Being Canadian $1 and $2 are coins. I always round to a total ending in 5 or 0. Since $24 going to $25 would be cheap I'd go to $30.

When I remembered the US uses $1 bills I changed my answer.

'Chair 11-16-2007 12:20 PM

Tip 15-20%. If boss/coworkers don't like it, then you want be chosen as bitch-food-boy anymore.

IMO, bosses don't want to be bothered by trivial questions.

mbillie1 11-16-2007 12:35 PM

fwiw my boss will periodically say things like

"Quick, tell me everything of consequence that has happened."

"Well, that's not how I spell your name."

"That woman just honked at me. Do you think she's a lesbian?"

"Did I say that? That's terribly clever."

<font color="white">not really</font>

solids 11-16-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

IMO, bosses don't want to be bothered by trivial questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. If I asked my boss how much to tip, he'd likely get irritated and ask if I need help tying my shoes, too.

inside?? 11-18-2007 11:03 PM

Tip what you are accustomed to giving. If the boss really cared that much he would pay for it himself.

In the second situation tip what you accustomed to and be thankful that your coworkers aren't nits and didn't leave you on the hook for the the tax and tip on their orders.

supermangina 11-19-2007 11:37 AM

As someone who has worked in the restaurant business, I recommend 20%. That is solid.

punkass 11-19-2007 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As someone who has worked in the restaurant business, I recommend 20%. That is solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

we are not going this way. go back.