Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   My Swing Video (Driver) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=488728)

midfielderdave 08-29-2007 12:05 AM

My Swing Video (Driver)

Hey everyone, I've been checking out the golf forum a lot lately and was wondering if anyone would analyze my swing a bit. I've played golf since I was 13 (now 22), but only got serious about getting better and playing more the past two years.
I've never had a formal lesson and have been averaging 2 rounds per week during the summer. I don't get the opportunity to golf much early in the season, or in the fall.
Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate any pointers you may have, thanks,
Dave

BTW, this particular shot was a banana slice...

YouTube Swing Video

LetItBe 08-29-2007 12:43 AM

Re: My Swing Video (Driver)

Holy backswing! You need to stop about 3 seconds earlier.

midfielderdave 08-29-2007 01:13 AM

I guess I didn't realize how far my backswing was going.
Is it just more difficult to control a big backswing? Compared to what I'm doing now, should I do a 3/4 swing?
I think part of my problem is that most of the time I'm trying to crush the ball which I know is a recipe for disaster.
What about my hips or my lower body movement?
Thanks,
Dave

squashington 08-29-2007 04:11 AM

Backswing plane looks good. Taking it way too far back though, the club should be parallel at the top of your backswing.

It looks like you have a weak grip but I may be wrong. Do you tend to slice the ball? You grip should look like this, with the 2 V's pointing straight up to your sternum.

http://www.golf-swing-instruction-ti...olf_grip_6.jpg

JTrout 08-29-2007 09:25 AM

Your head drops down and forward quite a bit during your backswing, causing the need to pull up and out on the throughswing.

Work on maintaining a proper posture and balance on the takeaway, and your shots should begin to improve.

Best of luck.

RacersEdge 08-29-2007 11:02 AM

John Daly junior.

Your upper body moves around a lot. Think of the swing as rotating around your spine. You might need a wider base too. (Can't really tell for sure though from that angle.)

midfielderdave 08-29-2007 02:08 PM

I used to have what I thought was called a "strong" grip style where my right palm faced the sky. I was told that the open space between my left thumb and right hand on the grip was allowing the club to turn, resulting in my slice. For that shot, I tried more of a standard grip without interlocking my pinky. I felt like I lost a lot of flexibility with the new grip, and I felt like I couldn't swing as fast either.
I rarely use my driver now because I don't have much confidence with it. It's usually a slice, or I end up topping the ball (because of excessive head bobbing?). Every once in a while I crush it straight.

I looked at some swing visions on YouTube and the only player who took it back that far was John Daly. He can get away with it, but not me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

John Daly Swing Vision

midfielderdave 08-29-2007 02:10 PM

My stance is a little wider than shoulder width, with my left foot lined up a few inches left of the ball.

Are my feet moving too much also?

RacersEdge 08-29-2007 10:26 PM

Your feet look OK to me from that angle. Another thing is that your swing plane is very upright because you finish with your arms up around your head instead of by your left shoulder. That swing plane would cause pulls and slices.

TripleH68 08-29-2007 10:26 PM

At the top of your backswing it looks like you are "across the line." Click on the following link for an example.
position at the top

midfielderdave 08-30-2007 01:22 AM

Here's a clip of my topped 4 wood shot. This has been my main problem lately with my 4 wood off the tee. Was the ball not teed up high enough, or did I move my head too much?
Thanks,
Dave

4 wood mishit

TripleH68 08-30-2007 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a clip of my topped 4 wood shot. This has been my main problem lately with my 4 wood off the tee. Was the ball not teed up high enough, or did I move my head too much?
Thanks,
Dave

4 wood mishit

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a video from the side next time. You will then see clearly how much you are dropping your left shoulder on the takeaway. And how this puts you in a poor position at the top of your swing.

You also look like you are just trying to kill the ball. Relax.

Clarkmeister 08-30-2007 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your swing plane is very upright because you finish with your arms up around your head instead of by your left shoulder. That swing plane would cause pulls and slices.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds a lot like me.

TripleH68 08-30-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your swing plane is very upright because you finish with your arms up around your head instead of by your left shoulder. That swing plane would cause pulls and slices.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds a lot like me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think about it your shoulders must be tilting to produce this upright swing. Your left shoulder dipping on the takeaway. I think this sometimes comes from an exaggerated, low takeaway.

kyzerjose 08-30-2007 03:17 PM

On both shots you're taking the club away to the outside.
It looks like you cast both clubs to initiate your down swing, your hands and arms are at least a foot away from your body creating an outside in swing. It looks like you try and save it by rotating your hips too quickly so your hands never catch up.
Your 4 wood looks like you slide back rather than rotating through the ball.
As it's been pointed out before, you're really dropping your L shoulder early in your take away then pulling it up coming through the ball.
Work on taking the club back lower and almost a little too inside. You're also picking the club up to take it away rather than using your core muscles.

sawseech 08-30-2007 06:20 PM

sick long backswing
you just got stuck, couldn't get the arms back to address

stand off the ball a bit more and shorten up the backswing?

thisnamedoesntfi 08-30-2007 06:33 PM

Forget about what you are doing wrong, you look like you have a good amount of power there, and your armswing is very good. You really need to practice hitting balls off your knees. Tee up a six iron on the range and practice hitting shots off your knees, the ball will hook a bit due to the lie angle of the club. The swing will feel really flat to you. Swing the club behind you then hit in front of you.

Another thing you could do is to hit balls with your left foot on top of a range bucket.

Both of these drills will help you feel what you need to feel to hit the ball consistently. Looking at your swing what you primarily need is better balance.

xxGreat1xx 08-31-2007 12:51 AM

your balance looks a little off and you look like you might be using too much of you're right hand. This will make you snap hook the ball a lot. Overall not too bad

midfielderdave 08-31-2007 04:50 PM

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone. I'll be golfing tonight so I'll try out the new swing and I'll post another video.
Dave

LetItBe 09-01-2007 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone. I'll be golfing tonight so I'll try out the new swing and I'll post another video.
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

RANGE! GO TO THE RANGE! You usually don't want to "try out new swings" while playing a round.

midfielderdave 09-01-2007 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RANGE! GO TO THE RANGE! You usually don't want to "try out new swings" while playing a round.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're exactly right, but I just haven't had the chance yet. I will definitely be heading out there. the course is not a good place to re-learn a swing technique.

midfielderdave 09-01-2007 11:05 PM

I've added two more clips of my "improved" backswing, but it still looks like I'm moving my head way too much. Please tell me if I'm making forward progress.
Thanks,
Dave

4 wood shot

pow....kinda

kyzerjose 09-02-2007 07:13 AM

4 wood
The angle the clip was shot at is almost useless.
From the looks of the hole, your target line was probably L center, with trouble on the R.
Check your hips & shoulders when you set up. It looks like they're both open to your line. It looked like your feet were on line.
There's a tendency amongst a lot of golfers to either open or close their shoulders and hips, depending on where there's trouble off the tee.
In either case, you're likely to hit the shot you don't want. Being open will produce either a slice or block right.
Being closed will cause a snap hook or dead pull left.
I'd still like to see you take the club away lower. You're head is still dipping too.

Future videos would be more helpful if they're shot directly behind and straight from the side.

thisnamedoesntfi 09-02-2007 08:33 AM

I really want you to understand that a lot of what is evidently a problem in your swing is caused by a poor set up. You clearly have way too much weight on your left side for a wood shot. I like the way you move all the way through your swing but there is a simple fundamental miss going on. If you are going to swing your arms that upright(and that's fine)you need to set up on your right axis more. If you are going to lean so far toward the target line on the backswing on your left side, you need to get the club moving more behind you, and flatter.

What I suggest you do is try both of the drills I mentioned earlier in this thread. Your clearly new enough to the game where good habits can be ingrained early if you go in the right direction.

Hit balls on the range with your left foot up on an upturned range bucket. Have your stance a little open so that your knees are square. You should feel like you have most of your weight on your right side and that your right side is really tall (your left even taller). Make the same motion you do now, and I guarantee if you keep your balance you will hit good shots.

JTrout 09-02-2007 10:33 AM

you are certainly makeing progress.
I'd like to see you stay level better through the swing.
I think the 2 drills Thisnamedoesn'tfi suggested will help.

Best of luck.

RacersEdge 09-02-2007 12:42 PM

You are still dipping your head at the start of the swing and the only way you can do that is to keep your weight on your left side and then flex your left knee. You want the opposite - your weight moving toward your right side.

It does seem like the range bucket trip mentioned by thisname would be perfect for you.

Weir 09-03-2007 05:10 AM

my advice:

1. last shot looked much better.
2. head still
3. weight back
4. tempo.

i think you need to just slow it down a little bit. It is okay to have a fast tempo ala nick price or greg norman, but it needs to stay in sync. On your bad shots your head moves a ton and your downswing starts before your backswing is finished.

midfielderdave 09-04-2007 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tee up a six iron on the range and practice hitting shots off your knees, the ball will hook a bit due to the lie angle of the club. The swing will feel really flat to you. Swing the club behind you then hit in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this drill is to work on my swing plane, am I correct? Do I have to make a grip adjustment or just hold the club like I normally would?

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing you could do is to hit balls with your left foot on top of a range bucket.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose this will help me put my weight on my right foot instead of left. Now what drill would be good to keep my head still?

So far my list of things to improve include:

1. shorter backswing
2. more weight on right side
3. keep left shoulder from dipping
4. minimize head movement
5. set up - alignment

Thanks for the tips!
Dave

Mark1808 09-04-2007 03:58 AM

You are not going to learn how to swing on a 2+2 forum but you have a classic reverse pivot caused by a poor hip and shoulder turn. You want to turn your hips so your right rear pocket turns back towards the target and you want to feel your left shoulder move across your body over your right thigh.

Your swing appears long because you lift your arms to try to create power that is lacking from your reverse pivot. You should not feel lift from your arms but rather a level turn with your hips and shoulders and your arms swinging along in unison.

thisnamedoesntfi 09-04-2007 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tee up a six iron on the range and practice hitting shots off your knees, the ball will hook a bit due to the lie angle of the club. The swing will feel really flat to you. Swing the club behind you then hit in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this drill is to work on my swing plane, am I correct? Do I have to make a grip adjustment or just hold the club like I normally would?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose this will help me put my weight on my right foot instead of left. Now what drill would be good to keep my head still?

1. shorter backswing
5. set up - alignment

Thanks for the tips!
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]
Number 2 will greatly reduce the need to work on numbers 1,3-5.

The thing I wanted you to get the most out of those two drills, was that you have good speed, and they will teach you what you said^^^^^, which is the obvious lesson, but I hope you'll also realize how little you have to move and still move the ball well.

Maybe I should make up a video of these drills....explaining them, and what the reasons for doing them are.

midfielderdave 09-04-2007 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should make up a video of these drills....explaining them, and what the reasons for doing them are.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be awesome, let me know if you do.
Thanks,
Dave

Mark1808 09-05-2007 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be awesome, let me know if you do.
Thanks,
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

If your body moves correctly you will not need to worry about your weight shift. Standing with your left foot on the bucket may help you feel getting your weight back in the back swing but it will not promote a proper weight shift on the downswing.

Here is a drill that will help your backswing:

http://www.athlonsports.com/golf/107...ehind-the-ball

Note that the right hip moves around (not up like yours) and the left shoulder moves level back over the right thigh (not down and hanging over the left thigh like yours)

I would also recommend this book to learn the correct movements of a golf swing:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Three-Game...1540&sr=8-1

RacersEdge 09-05-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. shorter backswing
5. set up - alignment

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that makes golf easier to think about is that everything in a swing is a cause and effect chain of events. You do move 3 because you had to do move 2 based on how you started with move 1. Change move 1 and move 2 and move 3 will change or might go completely away. Nothing is independent in the swing. That's why it's tricky to tweak your swing on your own. As soon as you take a lesson, something fundamental in your set-up changes and all the little things you were trying to do in your "old" swing might not even apply anymore.

In your case, having your left foot on a bucket should make the head dip go away.

thisnamedoesntfi 09-05-2007 05:15 PM

Well said RacersEdge.....Mark please refrain from commenting on what a drill will and wont do if you don't understand it. It's not about weight shift in either direction, rather, it's about promoting stability throughout the entire swing.

<a href="file:///C:/Program%20Files/cSwing/Samples/the%20gun/images/cSwing.htm" target="_blank">file:///C:/Program%20Files/cSwing/Samples/the%20gun/images/cSwing.htm</a>

Edit...Have problem linking you to this drill footage, am an internet noob. Will try and fix after work today.

midfielderdave 09-05-2007 09:50 PM

I went to the range yesterday and it was a complete disaster. I tried to remember and apply everything on the list, but every shot was horrible. I just can't seem to keep my head from dipping down. Very frustrating. I guess it gets worse before it gets better...

BrunoThePug 09-05-2007 11:02 PM

I used to move my head around a lot but there were two things that helped me quiet it down.

1. I had bad posture when I stood over the ball and my chin was too low. I would address the ball and lift my chin up just a bit (maybe 1-2"). From there I would think about feeling my left shoulder turn under my chin while keeping my head still.

2. Have a friend stand facing you while you address the ball. With your 3 iron (or some long club) have them hold the club head and place the last 1-2" of the grip on the top of your head. Try hitting some balls with a 5 iron like this, you'll feel your head moving around a lot as well as knocking back into the grip as you bounce around.

Another thing... don't try to swing so hard. Try and hit some shots on the rang with a 7 or 8 iron where you take a full swing but pretend you're in slow motion. Take a swing and hit the ball but swing at 1/4 of the speed.

Mark1808 09-05-2007 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well said RacersEdge.....Mark please refrain from commenting on what a drill will and wont do if you don't understand it. It's not about weight shift in either direction, rather, it's about promoting stability throughout the entire swing.

<a href="file:///C:/Program%20Files/cSwing/Samples/the%20gun/images/cSwing.htm" target="_blank">file:///C:/Program%20Files/cSwing/Samples/the%20gun/images/cSwing.htm</a>

Edit...Have problem linking you to this drill footage, am an internet noob. Will try and fix after work today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize if I insulted you but this is a discussion forum on golf and I feel I am very well qualified to comment. I have played golf for nearly 40 years, I played Division I Golf in college, have been a plus or scratch for most of my life, have been a club champion and have grown up with and am personal friends with many PGA Tour players and top teaching professionals. I have read virtually every book of major importance on the golf swing and have been to many of the top teachers in my area.

The bucket drill may help to promote a turn in the back swing rather than a slide but trying a downswing with the left foot on a bucket will be counter productive as your swing will bottom out behind the ball. Advising someone to keep their head still is also counter productive, one need only look at the swings of David Duval, Jim Furyk and Annika Sorenstam to see this is not important to good ball striking. Swinging slower is more typical amatuer advice. Someone with a [censored] swing who swings slower will simply have a slow [censored] swing. And finally the advice for a 20 plus handicpper to practice hitting 6 irons off your kneees is so laughable its unbelieveable. Maybe a driver off a tee, but a 6 iron off the ground on your knees by a hack makes me LMFAO!!!

Get Ben Hogan's 5 Fundamentals or Hank Johnson's The Three Games of Golf, find a good teacher and practice. You'll get better fast! Enjoy the journey though because you will never be as good as you want to be and golf humbles everyone!

BrunoThePug 09-06-2007 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Advising someone to keep their head still is also counter productive, one need only look at the swings of David Duval, Jim Furyk and Annika Sorenstam to see this is not important to good ball striking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've named three top pros who are/were successful, that's hardly an endorsement for "keeping your head still is not key to good ball striking". By this same logic he should just keep his swing like john daly since that worked for john daly.

[ QUOTE ]
Swinging slower is more typical amatuer advice. Someone with a [censored] swing who swings slower will simply have a slow [censored] swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point, I know that when I swing as hard and fast as I possibly can my swing is just as controlled as when I swing at a more controlled normal pace. http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/rolleyes.gif

midfielderdave 09-06-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And finally the advice for a 20 plus handicpper to practice hitting 6 irons off your kneees is so laughable its unbelieveable. Maybe a driver off a tee, but a 6 iron off the ground on your knees by a hack makes me LMFAO!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain why this would be a bad drill for someone like me? Is it too advanced or something?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. Don't worry about offending me or anything by calling me a hack, I know I am. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mark1808 09-06-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And finally the advice for a 20 plus handicpper to practice hitting 6 irons off your kneees is so laughable its unbelieveable. Maybe a driver off a tee, but a 6 iron off the ground on your knees by a hack makes me LMFAO!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain why this would be a bad drill for someone like me? Is it too advanced or something?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. Don't worry about offending me or anything by calling me a hack, I know I am. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its too hard, a driver off a tee is much easier, but your arms and plane are just a reaction to your reverse pivot with your body. You don't coil your body correctly, instead you dip forward with your left shoulder and slide back with your hips. Stand straight and stretch a club across your back holding with both hands. Turn so that the club is perpindicular to your target line and your left shoulder is over your right foot. After you feel that simply bend over in a golf stance and practice it until it feels right. You should keep the flex in your right knee and feel your back left pocket circle behind you and your left shoulder go over your right thigh.

From here you need to learn how to grip and hinge the club correctly. Hank Johnson's 3 Games of Golf is simply, effective and filled with good illustrations. You have the right attitude! Some might think I'm pretty good and others think I suck. Everything is relative.