Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   NL400 - River trips vs. loose-passive insta-shove (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546619)

Burdzthewurd 11-15-2007 03:57 AM

NL400 - River trips vs. loose-passive insta-shove

NL400 6-handed

Villain has $620 and covers Hero. I stacked him on a 1/2NL FR table earlier when he called a 1.5x pot bet on 764 two heart flop then check/called AI when a 3 hit the turn with 34 against my 75hh and I held. Notes on him say he's loose-passive, peels off any backdoor draw for PSB on flop in raised pots, and will limp/call garbage OOP. Haven't seen him make more than a minraise preflop, usually just limping in. Should I have lead turn or river? Bet/fold river maybe?

Villain raises to $8, 1 fold, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero checks, Villain checks.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero checks, Villain bets $32, SB folds, Hero calls.

River K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villain goes all-in, Hero?

Burdzthewurd 11-15-2007 07:04 AM

Re: NL400 - River trips vs. loose-passive insta-shove

Bump - is this standard call/fold? I've asked around and got major differences in opinion

D0p3Ad1c7 11-15-2007 07:21 AM

Fold preflop pretty standard imo...
c/c turn as played...
b/f on the river... I guess... 1/2 pot - 3/4 pot should work

JFsports 11-15-2007 08:06 AM

I'd b/f the river, as played I think this is a pretty easy fold.

klb. 11-15-2007 08:43 AM

Lead turn for value for sure. And bet/fold river, do you think you will induce a bluff/thin vbet with a check from the player you described? I don't. As played it's an easy fold as JFsports said, you beat a bluff. And there's about 0% chance that a massive overbet like this from the player described would be a bluff. He have a monster.

shipsandgiggles 11-15-2007 08:49 AM

that minraise looks like donkplayed 55 or tt

docnuclear 11-15-2007 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd b/f the river, as played I think this is a pretty easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

capone0 11-15-2007 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that minraise looks like donkplayed 55 or tt

[/ QUOTE ]

What min raise? He psb the turn.

VitoT 11-15-2007 10:06 AM

fold.

JackAll 11-15-2007 11:24 AM

wow ... you have over 2k posts and someone overbet pushes huge - $550 onto a $100 pot - and you are not sure what to do with trips worse kicker?

Praetor 11-15-2007 12:56 PM

this is a real easy fold, but I would have bet turn and river myself

Burdzthewurd 11-15-2007 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow ... you have over 2k posts and someone overbet pushes huge - $550 onto a $100 pot - and you are not sure what to do with trips worse kicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha that's the first time I heard posts = skill level. I've played NL400 for 2 months, so eat my ass.

Laetus 11-15-2007 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a real easy fold, but I would have bet turn and river myself

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, me to.

JackAll 11-16-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha that's the first time I heard posts = skill level. I've played NL400 for 2 months, so eat my ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this came off purely as a flame comment on my part. But really I am serious. I've only played 400nl for a few months also, but I did quiet a bit of time before that learning the game at lower levels - and 2k posts is ALOT (like not far off how many I have, and I discussed a lot of hands over the past year or whatever). What on earth have you learned while discussing 2k hands? And how does it not include folding an overbet of 5 times pot when you have trips with worst kicker?

Burdzthewurd 11-17-2007 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this came off purely as a flame comment on my part. But really I am serious. I've only played 400nl for a few months also, but I did quiet a bit of time before that learning the game at lower levels - and 2k posts is ALOT (like not far off how many I have, and I discussed a lot of hands over the past year or whatever). What on earth have you learned while discussing 2k hands? And how does it not include folding an overbet of 5 times pot when you have trips with worst kicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want a poker life story from when I started posting to now - I started at 1/2 limit, moved up to 2/4, got killed, dropped down to play 1/2-2/4 Stud and O8, made 2k in a PLO8 donkament, took a shot at 5/10 O8 short, got murdered by variance/poor BR management, cashed/won some local live tournaments but paid off bills/vacation, tried to grind 10NL with 200 and got sick of it, yada yada yada got backed for 1k in June, grinded up from NL50 to NL400 (with RB) and started playing 2/4 about a month ago, but usually only 1-2 tables since that's all that runs on the site.

Cliffnotes: Yada yada yada I was real tired this morning

JackAll 11-17-2007 03:33 PM

Well, I suspect that you moved up a little too fast. You learn new skills at each level, and moving up through 4 levels in 5 months doesn't offer much time to learn. I think without coaching, most people move up every 3-6 months (or less frequently), and in NL, this can end up costing you ALOT when you hit a little variance and don't have a solid foundation to keep your variance from destroying you entirely.

What I found was that once I got to 400nl, the players were a little polarized into two types:
1. players that know what they are doing (low-ish vpip, high pfr, high 3-b, aggro but not maniac style) who make money off people making fundamental mistakes. If you have leaks in your game, you will lose money here for sure, and not make it back from most of them.
2. aggro monkeys that realize that aggression wins money, but make a lot of fundamental mistakes. You need to know your fundamentals so that when these players make errors (and they do a lot) you can maximize your winnings. If you don't have these basics (and I use basics to mean ALOT of info that you would normally learn at lower limits), then it doesn't take much to lose a large sum with a marginal hand (like the one above)

But like I said - it takes time to learn this stuff, and having $400 in front of you when just one mistake can easily cost you $200-400 is no small amount. I hope you don't end up on a rough patch, but like I said in my first post to this thread - this hand is something you should really know if you are playing at this level, so I suspect you may be in over your head.

Anyway - good luck.