Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How much do you think the top producers are worth? i.e. Timbaland... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=504164)

PokerAmateur4 09-18-2007 10:11 PM

How much do you think the top producers are worth? i.e. Timbaland...

Anyone have some guesses about the net worth of him and other producers?

edfurlong 09-18-2007 10:14 PM

Re: How much do you think the top producers are worth? i.e. Timbaland.

I looked it up on yahoo answers for you.

[ QUOTE ]
a whole hell of a lot im sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

ua1176 09-18-2007 10:17 PM

i guarantee you that timbaland is in an entirely different league, $$$-wise from any other current hip0hop/r+b producer. so it's not "i.e. Timbaland...."

however...musicians in general never make the kind of money that actors/directors do, and hip-hop people in general have terribly extravagant spending habits. i'd guess net worth of $15,000,000-ish.

edit: figures not based on any real knowledge. i would bet money on Timbaland making way the [censored] more than Scott Storch though.

mason55 09-18-2007 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's why, at 6 a.m., after five straight hours tinkering with Jessica Simpson's beat, when Storch jumps in his Lamborghini, he drives to an island and pulls up to his mansion, a classic Italian villa with a strong Greco-Roman theme, a gaudy residence that resembles the mansion Al Pacino's Scarface lived in. In the main house, there's seven bedrooms and fourteen bathrooms, high ceilings, three levels, marble floors, marble columns, gold-plated bathroom sinks, a huge eat-in kitchen and a great view of Biscayne Bay. There's also two fountains, a pair of two-bedroom guesthouses, a pool cabana and garage space for eight cars. Storch bought the place in the spring. The sellers asked for $16 million, but Storch says he got it for eleven, a record price for that area. "This home isn't for everybody," he says. "It's a little intimidating for a typical family." Out front there's all sorts of exotic cars -- a Ferrari, an SLR McLaren, a Rolls Phantom, a Maybach, an old Trans Am, several Bentleys -- and out back, parked in the bay, is his 125-foot, $20 million yacht named Tiffany. He sold his previous yacht, Storchavelli.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2...tstorchvo2.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...ageous_fortune

NozeCandy 09-18-2007 10:22 PM

Scott Storch was the first person who came to mind. The hottest producers are worth insane amounts of money.

rjoefish 09-18-2007 10:39 PM

I like Timbaland a lot, I think the personality he gives. Scott on the otherhand just seems like he would be the worlds largest douche and a huge pain to deal with. It made me lol when I saw the video of him not getting into a club cause he tried to bring a 20yo girl with him and they all got carded and refused entry.

Gospy 09-18-2007 10:55 PM

Well, The Neptunes (Pharrell and Chad Hugo), are worth like $150 mil. They are in the top 5 I think. I don't know who the other tops would be, but some names that come to mind are Timbaland, Scott Storch, Kanye West, Dr. Dre. I'm sure there's others.

kleath 09-18-2007 10:56 PM

Storch is worth like 60 or 70 I've heard.

Its a lot easier to make money as a top producer compared to a top rapper.

eviljeff 09-18-2007 11:17 PM

any producer with his own line of shoes has to be worth sick amounts of money

J.C. Gloves 09-18-2007 11:31 PM

These guys sell their "beats" @ like $100k a song. Just think about how many songs they've all done...

Steven_Q_Erkel 09-18-2007 11:50 PM

Damon Dash > Timbaland.

NajdorfDefense 09-19-2007 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, The Neptunes (Pharrell and Chad Hugo), are worth like $150 mil.

[/ QUOTE ]

After-tax? Link, pls.

jaydub 09-19-2007 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After-tax? Link, pls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Net worth, not income is what I believe is being discussed.

J

Slade555 09-19-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's why,quote]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I totally thought this was a joke post.

NajdorfDefense 09-19-2007 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After-tax? Link, pls.

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, thanks, i know.

My point is, you have to make 300mm to have 150mm after-tax if you don't spend a dime. Doubtful.

Also, while he is worth a bunch, he's only had 2 #1 hits, so he is likely behind Storch, not knowing anything about his clothing line which is possibly worth a bunch as well. But having seen these guys spending habits and, generally, lack of fin'l acumen, I doubt he's banked over $150mm.

jaydub 09-19-2007 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After-tax? Link, pls.

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, thanks, i know.

My point is, you have to make 300mm to have 150mm after-tax if you don't spend a dime. Doubtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, barring tax fraud how does a producer getting paid per track / album / etc accumulate the 150mm? What as of yet unpaid taxes do you believe exist here?

J

ThaSaltCracka 09-19-2007 12:28 AM

producers are worth crazy money. They get royalties, right? If they own a label they get even more. Rappers and Singers are worthless.

NajdorfDefense 09-19-2007 12:29 AM

What part of 'you have to pay taxes on income' don't you understand? No one is talking about tax-fraud. Is everyone retarded here after midnite? Stop pretending to be an expert on stuff you're clearly clueless on.

Even if you assume:
Income = 300m
Taxes ~ 150m
Net Worth before buying a burger ~ 150mm.

Now net out his spending on travel, expenses, his business, his toys, cars, etc.

You obviously have no clue what he's worth, so give it a rest as you are incredibly wrong here.

jaydub 09-19-2007 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What part of 'you have to pay taxes on income' don't you understand? No one is talking about tax-fraud. Is everyone retarded here after midnite? Stop pretending to be an expert on stuff you're clearly clueless on.

Income = 300m
Taxes ~ 150m
Net Worth before buying a burger ~ 150mm.

Now net out his spending on travel, expenses, his business, his toys, cars, etc.

You obviously have no clue what he's worth, so give it a rest as you are incredibly wrong here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overreact much?

Are we back to discussing income? I thought we were clear that net worth was the 150mm figure, not income. Speaking of accumulated net worth does tend to assume that the taxes have been paid on the yearly income. Sure we can get into cap gains and such but I doubt that is very relevant here.

Toys tend to be subtracted from net worth as do burgers. Sure we are talking net worth?

For it's worth, I'm not saying pharell is worth 150mm, just saying that if his net worth is 150mm, it's not 75mm due to taxes.

Edit: For clarity and to end this retarded thread jack, specify the taxes which you believe my retart brain has missed with regard to his estate.

J

ua1176 09-19-2007 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
producers are worth crazy money. They get royalties, right? If they own a label they get even more. Rappers and Singers are worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes they get royalties. typically 3 or 4 % of the retail price of a record sold....though arrangements may be somewhat different in the hip-hop/r+b world, where "producer" really means "guy who makes the tracks." my specific knowledge is much more on the pop/rock side of things.

shoxbb6 09-19-2007 12:44 AM

http://panachereport.com/channels/co...s/jennifer.htm :
"Pharrell Williams: Hip-Hop producer and rapper has sound investments in his merchandise imprint, "Billionaire Boys Club." Williams has also launched a street skate boarding team called, "Ice Cream Skate Team." Williams also drives a $1 million dollar Enzo Ferrari (only 39 exist in the world) as well as a convertible Rolls Royce and within the next 2-3 years, if his production success continues, he should reach the $200 million dollar milestone in personal wealth. "

Super Tool 09-19-2007 12:50 AM

Re: How much do you think the top producers are worth? i.e. Timbaland...

P-diddy and Jay Z, are the richest by far... Last i checked, hardly no one was was even close (500 mil +)... Master P is a rich mofo as well...

Gospy 09-19-2007 12:59 AM

For rappers, it's Jay-Z, Diddy, 50.

As far as Pharrell goes, I don't remember where, but I read it somewhere, Wiki says 155 mil. Keeping in mind he has 2 clothing lines, production, a solo career, 2 group careers, a skate team, etc. He charges between 250k-500k a track.

NajdorfDefense 09-19-2007 01:04 AM

Net Worth comes from income initially. Where else do you think it comes from? This is obvs to everyone but you, the $$$ didn't magically appear on his desk. Put the drink down for a sec.

[ QUOTE ]
just saying that if his net worth is 150mm, it's not 75mm due to taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm saying to those who said it's $150mm, he had to have total income of $300mm, before expenses, over X # of years to achieve that.
Of course, they can't find 1 reputable source that says that.

Jay-Z just sold his clothing company to public firm Iconix for $204m, he got only $50m of that. That's $25m after tax.
Pharrell hasn't had nearly JZ's success in business, endorsements, creating his clothing line yet.

Obvs, at some point in the future, he may get there. But he ain't there yet.

NajdorfDefense 09-19-2007 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember where, but I read it somewhere, Wiki says 155 mil.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharrell_Williams

jaydub 09-19-2007 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Net Worth comes from income initially. Where else do you think it comes from? This is obvs to everyone but you, the $$$ didn't magically appear on his desk. Put the drink down for a sec.

Tell me how he got to the $150mm NW number, which you've refused to do 3x, as you have absolutely no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I note that you never quote my posts, do you read them before replying?

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of accumulated net worth does tend to assume that the taxes have been paid on the yearly income.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said that a little way back. Reading other posts might enlighten you as to the 150mm estimate for which I believe I also stated I am not asserting, but we've already established the bar for your reading comprehension...

I will reiterate, specifically what taxes do you believe are unpaid on the estate?

J

NajdorfDefense 09-19-2007 01:13 AM

You keep mentioning $150mm, but pretending you're not. Pls show Pharrell's net worth as $150, or more, or whatever you think it is.

Since you are completely clueless, and fail to understand even the simplest explanation of how pre-tax income becomes a smaller number after paying taxes, it's easy to forecast you will, once again, fail to show any data or link to any reputable source in a vain attempt to show your 'expertise' on this topic. Keep up the good work!

jaydub 09-19-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After-tax? Link, pls.

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Manhattan,

Put down the straw and go to bed. We are not talking income.

J

NajdorfDefense 09-19-2007 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link, pls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Net worth, ...is being discussed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quoted you, see? You implicitly supported the $150mm assertion. Stop backpedaling and/or produce evidence thereof, or of some other total.

I am talking Net Worth. You keep confusing yourself because you don't have a clue on the topic.

Your loc: is very telling, I should have noted that before. Keep avoiding any attempt to show *Net Worth*!

szw 09-19-2007 01:18 AM

OMG you guys are arguing about the stupidest [censored]. lets see these producers wives/girlfriends

jaydub 09-19-2007 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link, pls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Net worth, ...is being discussed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quoted you, see? You implicitly supported the $150mm assertion. Stop backpedaling and/or produce evidence thereof, or of some other total.

I am talking Net Worth. You keep confusing yourself because you don't have a clue on the topic.

Your loc: is very telling, I should have noted that before. Keep avoiding any attempt to show *Net Worth*!

[/ QUOTE ]

GoogleTard!

And yes
wiki does have the line about 155mm which you failed to comprehend:

[ QUOTE ]

They are the fifth richest hip hop entertainers, having a net worth estimate of $155 Million.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it even references a previously posted link, go figure.

I agree with szw, this is absolutely retarded.

J

Francis_MH 09-19-2007 01:27 AM

I think it also depends on if they own their own label/ run a label or not. For example, Lil' Jon is independent so he sees a good % of the sales, plus he gets alot for individual beats.

Eminem, during his height, was pulling in 30-40 mil a year, but that was from sales and touring, and he was given shady records. He's got so much money he doesn't charge for beats.

NajdorfDefense 09-19-2007 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have some guesses about the net worth of him and other producers?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.forbes.com/2007/08/15/hip-hop...thisSpeed=15000

'No. 9
Pharrell Williams
$17 million

Hip-hop's new Quincy Jones. A prolific producer, he is half of the ultra-successful production team The Neptunes,...'

Let's assume last month's Forbes is fairly accurate.

PW has only been a 'top producer' for 6-8 years or so.
$17mm is all of his pretax income is ~ $8mm take-home.
Let's conservatively assume he only spends $4mm of that [although we know he has bought some very expensive houses, etc which would eat up far more] but it's a fair assumption.

He invests the other half at 8%. And let's also assume he's made this amount of money, his career max so far, every year since 2000 - which we know is not true.

That comes to under $40mm. You can tweak the assumptions, but it's the right ballpark.
Now, is BBC worth a lot? Doubtful at this point.
'Like A Bathing Ape, Billionaire Boys Club clothing and Ice Cream footwear are often counterfeited.

The brand suffered many setbacks after its original conception after disputes between Pharrell Williams and Reebok. Reebok was originally set to release the clothing line alongside the Ice Cream sneaker line. Although the sneakers made it, the clothing line was postponed and all projects came to an end in late 2004/early 2005. It was at the very end of 2005 when the brand was finally launched ...' ~ wiki.

So, yeah, $35/45mm or whatever is *very* impressive for a 34-yr old producer, absolutely. Will it go higher and higher if he stays on top? Definitely.

Schwarzenegger is estimated to be worth $100mm. Fidel Castro by Forbes at $150mm by comparison.

Gospy 09-19-2007 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember where, but I read it somewhere, Wiki says 155 mil.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharrell_Williams

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea it does.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_neptunes

Then if you look back at my original reply you will see that I said the Neptunes are worth ~$150 mil.

PokerAmateur4 09-19-2007 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I looked it up on yahoo answers for you.

[ QUOTE ]
a whole hell of a lot im sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Haha thanks Ed. I saw that after googling, then I remembered the rest of the internet is stupid so I posted on 2+2.

El Diablo 09-19-2007 04:33 AM

ND,

Re: Pharrell:

Easily could have much lower effective tax rate.

Easily could have higher rate of return based on what he's done with his money.

Likely has asset value outside of just the cash he has banked from his income/investments.

Put those things together with your general assumptions and it's not hard to come up with ~$75M for Pharrell's net worth.

clownassassin 09-19-2007 04:46 AM

The assumption that these guys pay 50% tax on their gross income and that their investments return less than 10% would only be accurate if they file their taxes using TurboTax and manage their portfolios themselves on Etrade.

Even an average tax account would have them at the very least incorporate themselves, and lower their taxable income to as close to $0 as possible.

Chris Daddy Cool 09-19-2007 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Timbaland a lot, I think the personality he gives. Scott on the otherhand just seems like he would be the worlds largest douche and a huge pain to deal with. It made me lol when I saw the video of him not getting into a club cause he tried to bring a 20yo girl with him and they all got carded and refused entry.

[/ QUOTE ]

From all accounts, he is a huge douchebag. He had a huge falling out with Christina Aguilera after making some ridiculous demands when she wanted him to work on Back to Basics.

Also, he has beef with Timbaland. In "Give It To Me" Timbaland raps:

I'm a real producer you're just a piano man
I get half a mil for my beats you get a couple grand.

PoppinFresh 09-19-2007 06:39 AM

yeah serious lol @ pharell paying 50% in income tax

Daddy Warbucks 09-19-2007 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's why,

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I totally thought this was a joke post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you happen to get to this point?

[ QUOTE ]
He's also working on an album for Brooke Hogan, Hulk's daughter, which will be the first release from Storch's new label, Tuff Jew.

[/ QUOTE ]