Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   ***SSNL LIFE THREAD [OCT]*** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512453)

orange 09-30-2007 01:17 PM

***SSNL LIFE THREAD [OCT]***

sorry jay. had to do it.

talk about:
-kolo's confusion
-kil's/caterp/cue's mack daddy advice
-worm or orange or carrot talking college football
-42it giving old man lectures
-aj laughing at everyone
-jay/keyser talking about movies

gogoogogogog

NL Newbie 09-30-2007 01:18 PM

Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD [OCT]***

lol jay got owned

tufat23 09-30-2007 01:19 PM

inn on teh ground floor

Worm75 09-30-2007 01:20 PM

in like flynn

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol jay got owned

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really... Knew it was coming - Orange is soo predictable.

orange 09-30-2007 01:30 PM

sorry. had to do it. have a few pet peeves that i can't control.

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry. had to do it. have a few pet peeves that i can't control.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I know. I even wrote it in white text in the other thread [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

goofyballer 09-30-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry jay. had to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I love how terp got away with making the September thread (or maybe it was August) but when Jay goes for the glory it gets locked.

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sorry jay. had to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I love how terp got away with making the September thread (or maybe it was August) but when Jay goes for the glory it gets locked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blatant racism imo

ajmargarine 09-30-2007 06:20 PM

Question out of the blue:

Do all you young British guys drink tea all the time?

Jamougha 09-30-2007 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Constantly.

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm drinking either tea or coffee constantly. Prob have at least 1-2 cups of tea a day and like 2-3 coffees when I'm at home.

orange 09-30-2007 06:28 PM

mmm i can't remember the last time i had tea or coffee.

2Paul2 09-30-2007 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Constantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

carrotsnake 09-30-2007 06:32 PM

GT for the WIN baby

Unknown Soldier 09-30-2007 06:33 PM

i dont drink tea or coffee, but im the only person in england who doesn't it seems

orange 09-30-2007 06:34 PM

carrot go to irc and talk fball

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 06:34 PM

I could easily live without tea. I would be dead within a week if I was unable to drink good, strong black coffee. Also I hope people who give me instant when I go round their house die of bum AIDS.

Randiek 09-30-2007 06:34 PM

Speaking of tea and coffee, I never drink either. Mostly because I dislike the taste of both, especially coffee. Would it be wise to learn to drink one or the other, or just stick with drinking water at meetings etc.

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 06:36 PM

Stick to water if your fine with it. Soooo much healthier. Coffee dehydrates me like [censored].

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 06:38 PM

Need a good, modern action/thriller type film to watch this evening. Suggestions?

edit: and a big LOL at the Bears game tonight especially after all the Griese/Grossman hooplah.

orange 09-30-2007 06:39 PM

new or old?

2Paul2 09-30-2007 06:40 PM

I'm going to New York 1st wk of Nov.

Good restauarnts/bars/clubs/activities?

Alrdy got tickets for a knicks game.

Paul

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
new or old?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how you interpret the word modern [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

2Paul2 09-30-2007 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
new or old?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how you interpret the word modern [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Next is ok for a casual watch.

Randiek 09-30-2007 06:51 PM

Ugh I want to play poker but can only find tables filled with regs. What the hell, its Sunday night? Anyway, tomorrow [censored] classes from 9-5. Gotta try and arrange an internship at Forbes tomorrow or somewhere this week, too. Would be really cool if it would work, but my chances are pretty slim. Wish me luck. GN for now.

manupod 09-30-2007 06:52 PM

arcade fire concert tonight, holla

orange 09-30-2007 06:55 PM

meh, modern to me = 1990 and beyond.

anyhoo, i enjoyed eastern promises (viggo mortenson), though i guess that is more drama than action.

have you seen equilibrium? i liked that one.

Worm75 09-30-2007 07:03 PM

as funny as this might sound, the condemned with Steve Austin was actually fairly enjoyable

edit: Orange pm an email address so I can ship u these plays

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 07:04 PM

Already kinda covered this before but meh, I still don't get it. What are the ACTUAL reasons for the American revolution? How does the reality compare to what you are taught in schools (and are you taught about the hypocracies of the revolution?)? Are the English portrayed as pure oppressors or are you told about the good things the English did for the colonists aswell as the bad? Please pm me if you don't wana clog/geek up the life thread.

Keyser. 09-30-2007 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Need a good, modern action/thriller type film to watch this evening. Suggestions?

edit: and a big LOL at the Bears game tonight especially after all the Griese/Grossman hooplah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Derailed is a good choice. Clive Owen is great as usual and Jeenifer Aniston is hot as usual. Pretty interesting, twisty plot.

there's a movie with Jean-Claude Van Damme by the same name but I assume it sucks.

Keyser. 09-30-2007 07:47 PM

Oh I saw A History of Violence a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. I mainly watched it b/c I thought it had a sweet title. It's not a thriller per se but I don't ever remember being bored or anything.

toybux 09-30-2007 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Already kinda covered this before but meh, I still don't get it. What are the ACTUAL reasons for the American revolution? How does the reality compare to what you are taught in schools (and are you taught about the hypocracies of the revolution?)? Are the English portrayed as pure oppressors or are you told about the good things the English did for the colonists aswell as the bad? Please pm me if you don't wana clog/geek up the life thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

In early school years (i.e. up to 8th grade or about 13/14 y/o), a fantasy story is generally taught. The fantasy includes the British as evil oppressors, the founding fathers as heroes, no discussion of internal disagreements, etc. It is really a propagandized version of the real events. Once you get to high school, it mostly continues with some more clarifications about some details and internal conflicts. General ed classes don't really teach you much and continue the fantasy.

Some AP courses (or if you have a good teacher) will be a lot more accurate. Luckily for me, I had a pretty decent teacher and learned a fairly accurate version of events that surprised me with how much they differed from the previous versions I've learned.

Without rambling, we teach it pretty inaccurately and self-servingly. This isn't very surprising as most people are still told "Columbus discovered America!!!!1" and that the US Civil War was entirely about slavery.

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't very surprising as most people are still told "Columbus discovered America!!!!1"

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't??

toybux 09-30-2007 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't very surprising as most people are still told "Columbus discovered America!!!!1"

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't??

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with 2p2 nowadays is that I never know if I am being levelled or not when someone says something I find surprising. It evokes a weird mindset that is pretty much unique to reading 2p2.

Wolfram 09-30-2007 08:11 PM

Icelandic vikings were the first "europeans" to set foot on America. But they weren't the first people there, so they didn't "discover" it.

Keyser. 09-30-2007 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Icelandic vikings were the first "europeans" to set foot on America.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, and it's hard to argue anyone other than Native Americans "discovered" America when they had been here for like 30,000 years.

ajmargarine 09-30-2007 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't??

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not! Now allow me to tell you about the cameras inside your TV that watch everything you do!

http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/ali2.jpg

Wolfram 09-30-2007 08:14 PM

toybux,

Serious question. What were the main reasons for the American civil war?

toybux 09-30-2007 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
toybux,

Serious question. What were the main reasons for the American civil war?

[/ QUOTE ]

In summary, it was a distribution of power issue combined with an economic issue. The Southern states were upset with the feeling of the Northern states trying to impose their viewpoint (on slavery in particular) on the south via the federal government. The North's industrial economy was much less dependent on slavery than the south's economy, so the push for abolition was largely concentrated in the north. The south's view on the role of the central government was different (thus their belief in the right of secession) The North is portrayed as fighting to free the slaves, and the South is portrayed as fighting to keep their slaves. In reality, the south was fighting for states' rights and the north was fighting to preserves the power of the federal government and the unified US.

Reading my post, this is a weak summary, but if you check Wiki or a college history textbook you should be able to get a better summary. Slavery was the central issue in a greater conflict about the role of government in the US.

Edit: Wolf, where is your avatar from? That looks really familiar but I can't quite place it.