Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Looking more professional, a fashion thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=318467)

JaredL 01-29-2007 08:41 PM

Looking more professional, a fashion thread

I'm currently a fourth year grad student in Economics. Next year I'll be going "on the market." The market is basically a huge conference where people give talks on a variety of topics, some meetings take place, and most importantly pretty much all job interviews take place. In the fall schools post openings, the interviews take place at the aforementioned AEA meetings in early January. Candidates have anywhere from a couple of interviews up to 30 or more. If successful, a candidate is flown out to give an hour and a half talk at that school.

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about clothes. I pretty much always wear t-shirts, most of which are Oregon related. I have a North Face fleece that I have worn a lot this winter. I usually wear jeans or shorts when it isn't too cold. For shoes, I basically wear New Balance cross trainers.

I went on a bit of a binge last spring. Last Christmas, I took advantage of sales to buy a bunch of colored shirts, just your basic Old Navy/Gap etc. type. I also bought a few pairs of khakis and cargo pants, a pea (sp?) coat, and two pair of Clarks shoes (one brown, one black, otherwise identical) that I actually really like. I wore these pretty regularly for most of the winter and spring, but once summer came around and I wasn't around the department, I went back to wearing shorts and tshirts etc. For whatever reason, I haven't gone back to wearing the nicer clothes, and even some new stuff I bought early this month.

Basically, I would like to overall look more professional. I have the type of personality where I don't take myself too seriously, and the clothing I usually wear is representative of that. The problem is that I suspect it also rubs off and people get the (sadly not incorrect enough) impression that I don't take my work seriously either. Also, I think that when making the change from student to professor it seems appropriate to not look like a total slob all the time (at least until I get tenure). Some tips for day-to-day stuff would be good here. Also, I will need to buy a suit to wear to the interviews and hopefully fly-outs. I've never owned a suit and don't have the slightest clue what to look for. There is also usually a dinner which is somewhat, but not completely formal at these things.

So basically, I am seeking advice on 3 how to dress for three types of situations:
1. Day to day office - something nice and comfortable, should be professional but need not meet any dress code.
2. Formal suit/tie for a job interview, giving talks etc.
3. Something in the middle to wear to dinner and other events with potential employers.

I don't have a huge budget to buy tons of stuff. While I'm not going on one huge shopping spree, my hope is that I can keep reading this thread and make some improvements gradually. Any input appreciated.

NorCalJosh 01-29-2007 08:46 PM

Re: Looking more professional, a fashion thread

can this be expanded into the general fashion advice thread mrwookie suggested?

kniper 01-29-2007 08:48 PM

just be balla all the time like this badass dude. the old school phone is key too.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...ipe/Yuppie.jpg

El Diablo 01-29-2007 08:48 PM

NCJ,

"can this be expanded into the general fashion advice thread mrwookie suggested?"

Just add...

4. Going out and looking nice at casual places.
5. Going out and looking nice at dressier places.

ImprovinNewbie 01-29-2007 08:51 PM

in my oppinion the best fitting, looking and always approriate is anything from Ralph Lauren (the real thing with the horse adn the purple label, no polo sport etc.) suits, sweaters, slacks, T-shirts, shoes, ties, you name it its hot and looks good on you.

The DaveR 01-29-2007 08:54 PM

J, If you're going to be in front of Econ Profs as long as you have a suit and tie that fits alright and is conservative and dark you'll be fine. Chances are they won't be paying attention.

IggyWH 01-29-2007 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in my oppinion the best fitting, looking and always approriate is anything from Ralph Lauren (the real thing with the horse adn the purple label, no polo sport etc.) suits, sweaters, slacks, T-shirts, shoes, ties, you name it its hot and looks good on you.

[/ QUOTE ]\

The thing I don't care for with RL clothing is to me, it lacks personality. I like designers that I feel like there's personality in things, especially button downs. I'm a big fan of Claiborne and Perry Ellis stuff.

econophile 01-29-2007 08:57 PM

Jared,

I'm currently on the economic job market, and I attended the AEA meetings in Chicago a few weeks ago. Of your wardrobe list, you should shop for the formal suit at the end of the summer or early fall, you can get dinner wear in December or January, and I wouldn't even worry about day to day office clothing yet.

For the interviews themselves, you will want a solid black or navy suit. Make sure the jacket fits well, and get trousers of the proper length. You'll also need some dress shirts, probably 3. I got one white, one blue, and one striped shirts. Get some ties to coordinate with your suit and shirt. You'll also need matching shoes and belt. Next year's meetings are in New Orleans, so you can probably get by without an overcoat.

For dinners, it is fine to wear your suit. If you want to wear something less formal, you can wear your suit trousers without the jacket and a light colored dress shirt and tie.

Let me know if you have questions about specific wardrobe items.

4_2_it 01-29-2007 08:58 PM

I have a couple of Jos A Banks Trios (suit plus an extra pair of slacks) that should meet several of your criteria. They usually go on sale for about $250.

Linky --- I'd suggest black or navy to start.

The DaveR 01-29-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the interviews themselves, you will want a solid black or navy suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grey is much better than black. Black is for funerals.

econophile 01-29-2007 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nearly everyone was wearing what I would consider a black suit. Maybe it is really a dark grey. But hardly any cadidates wore light grey suits. I've been told that grey (perhaps light grey) is more appropriate on older men.

Kneel B4 Zod 01-29-2007 09:02 PM

when I first decided to upgrade from khakis to nice pants, I started at Banana Republic. it's not fancy or unique, but they have lots of standard wool charcoal/brown/gray pants that look a whole lot nicer than basic khakis, and will serve as good basic pants for a few years.

for shirts I went to Brooks Brothers and Polo.

now, none of these places are super unique, but you'll be able to find reasonably priced basics and decent prices if you wait until sales, etc.

Zara is kind of like the European BR, and if you are in Vegas, NYC, or Montreal you can find one (maybe other places now too?). their stuff is slightly edgier, slimmer fitting, and cooler looking than BR, but still you can find classic stuff that won't look dumb in 4 years.

both of the above stores can fill your need for work clothing and going out to restaurants/bars when you want to move a level up from fleeces and khakis.

The DaveR 01-29-2007 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nearly everyone was wearing what I would consider a black suit. Maybe it is really a dark grey. But hardly any cadidates wore light grey suits. I've been told that grey (perhaps light grey) is more appropriate on older men.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dark grey is very standard. Black is totally nonstandard for business attire in the US.

Jurollo 01-29-2007 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a couple of Jos A Banks Trios (suit plus an extra pair of slacks) that should meet several of your criteria. They usually go on sale for about $250.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice link. So is the whole monotone look not good? I rock it a lot and think it looks fairly classy but I am assuming it probably isnt the best for interviews?

4_2_it 01-29-2007 09:09 PM

Jurollo,

Monotone is standard is interviews and most business dress office settings. The checkered slacks are perfect for dining out out when you want to wear a jacket, but be dressed less formally than a suit.

Another thing worth noting is that paying extra to buy wrinkle free shirts is worth it if you can do your own laundry. Spray the collar and edges of the sleeve with Spray 'n Wash (or equivalent. Then just throw them in the washer and low heat in the dryer. Hang them up and you will have no wrinkles. You can iron if you have something really important.

mason55 01-29-2007 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So is the whole monotone look not good? I rock it a lot and think it looks fairly classy but I am assuming it probably isnt the best for interviews?

[/ QUOTE ]

Monotone got way overdone on Who Wants to Be Millionaire, when Regis went monotone pretty much every night.

If you're an extremely "manly" looking man (think thick square jaw type) it's probably OK but I think it looks tacky and played out on most people at this point.

mason55 01-29-2007 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Monotone is standard is interviews and most business dress office settings. The checkered slacks are perfect for dining out out when you want to wear a jacket, but be dressed less formally than a suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was talking about matching tie & dress shirt colors (or at least that's what I've always heard referred to as the monotone look)

El Diablo 01-29-2007 09:15 PM

Daver,

You are absolutely correct about grey vs. black. Having said that, my nicest suit is a sweet black Martin Greenfield that I really enjoy wearing.

4_2_it 01-29-2007 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was talking about matching tie & dress shirt colors (or at least that's what I've always heard referred to as the monotone look)

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case Mason, you are correct. The link I attached had a standard suit with an extra pair of slacks which was not monotone, so I thought he was asking about the two types of slacks. I was too old for "monotone" when Regis started the fad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, black and dark gray or charcoal gray are pretty much indistinguishable to the average male eye so I wouldn't avoid a black suit if it looks good. If I had to prioritize I would go with:

1) Navy
2) Charcoal gray
3) Dark gray or navy with pinstripes
4) Tan or Olive
5) Black
6) Navy or gray with pinstripes
7) Light colored linen for summer only

miajag 01-29-2007 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dark grey is very standard. Black is totally nonstandard for business attire in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I know, this is certainly true for business, but is not the case at all in the legal field FWIW.

NT! 01-29-2007 09:26 PM

this is something i was guilty of when i first graduated college.

make sure you are comfortable wearing your nicer clothes and also that you are caring for them properly. for some people this is a no-brainer, but things like hanging your clothes up promptly, getting them dry cleaned or laundered when appropriate, keeping them free of pet hair and collar rings, etc are really important. you can buy all the nice clothes you want but if you don't care for them and look comfortable in them it doesn't matter.

obv you are probably a functioning adult so this point is moot but thought i'd throw it out there. on the 'getting comfortable front' i think it's sometimes good to dress really nice for no reason, just if you're going out or even just day-to-day. you build up a positive image of yourself in 'dress clothes' because people will compliment you for looking sharp, and you get more comfortable wearing things like jackets and ties for prolonged periods.

JaredL 01-29-2007 09:28 PM

SFer and others:

When you say grey, would the image below qualify? It seems that may be part of the confusion. The image below came up on the first page of GIS for grey suit:

http://www.johnstuxedos.com/Photos/S...One-Button.jpg

M2d 01-29-2007 09:59 PM

Jared,
there's lots of good advice suite-wise here. I was in the same boat as you, fashion wise, and, over the years i've ended up with a couple of classic suits (one lt brown burberry and one black ungaro) that I picked up cheap at off 5th (saks fifth discount outlet for last year's models). since the suits I got were last year's cuts, they were heavily discounted, but since they were basic, they don't look dated. I also got a navy blazer and a bunch of slacks and nicer khakis.

for basic office wear, check out the banana republic outlet at waikele the next time you're in hawaii. for some reason, they stock the same styles as banana stores/outlets on the mainland, but, since it's honolulu, they have a lot more sweaters and pants (since no one buys them there) on hand. they also have an off fifth there, but i'm not sure if they carry suits. if they do, it'll probably be easy pickings to get something nice for a good price since so few people in hawaii wear them.

Zeno 01-29-2007 09:59 PM

Some general comments:

Take the advice on grey, dark grey, dark blue/grey color combinations for formal suits. Very dark blue/almost black is Ok also depending on the pattern.

Color and pattern coordination are key to formal and causal wear. You can even get away with being “underdressed” if your garments are tasteful; you look presentable and project an air of confidence.

Purchase at least two very good dress shirts, it is very bad form to have a first-class suit and then spoil it with a bad choice of shirt in either pattern, color or form. Same thing can be said for the tie. If you go to an upscale shop at least some of the floor people should be knowledgeable and give you solid advice in picking and choosing ties and shirts and general color and pattern coordination.

Choose patterns that fit your general body shape, and colors that complement your eye and hair color and skin tone. Skin tone is important and this is often overlooked by many (especially men) but is very important. Case in point – some people should never wear a green shirt (or tie) or a yellow one. Others can. You need to get some advice on this – I think the gals at makeup counters have skin tone and color charts that can help you. This is especially important if you do not have a natural eye for color and patterns. All the above comments fit for all types of clothing, from casual wear to what you don for that first job interview or your own wedding.

-Zeno

Hey_Porter 01-29-2007 10:01 PM

I'll leave the suit/dress shirt discussion to everyone else, but I think it's necessary to stress the importance of shoes. Maybe it's just me (but I don't think it is), but you could be wearing a $1500 suit but be wearing crap shoes, and you'll look like crap no matter what. They're not cheap, but it's worth investing in a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues.

Hey_Porter 01-29-2007 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you go to an upscale shop at least some of the floor people should be knowledgeable and give you solid advice in picking and choosing ties and shirts and general color and pattern coordination.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. Give them the general idea of what you're looking for, and you should get some great options. Even the Nordstroms people usually do good work.

Jurollo 01-29-2007 10:04 PM

Is facial hair really frowned upon in the corporate world. For instance if I had a neatly trimmed beard is that a big no no?

Zeno 01-29-2007 10:06 PM

Good point on the shoes. Also pay attention to your sox. Make sure they match and are the proper color and pattern for the type of clothing you are wearing.

Also have a fashionable tie clasp and cuff links to match if you go that formal at times.

-Zeno

4_2_it 01-29-2007 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is facial hair really frowned upon in the corporate world. For instance if I had a neatly trimmed beard is that a big no no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the company. You would be in the minority in most big companies.

Much better to get the job first and then grow the beard while on vacation [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I suggest you forget about working for the Yankees.

Jurollo 01-29-2007 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the company. You would be in the minority in most big companies.

Much better to get the job first and then grow the beard while on vacation [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I suggest you forget about working for the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries, I am from Massachusetts. Go Sox! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

adsman 01-30-2007 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

obv you are probably a functioning adult so this point is moot but thought i'd throw it out there. on the 'getting comfortable front' i think it's sometimes good to dress really nice for no reason, just if you're going out or even just day-to-day. you build up a positive image of yourself in 'dress clothes' because people will compliment you for looking sharp, and you get more comfortable wearing things like jackets and ties for prolonged periods.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so very important. You can have the best Italian cut suit in the world but if you aren't comfortable wearing it you're going to look very out of place.

SackUp 01-30-2007 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I know, this is certainly true for business, but is not the case at all in the legal field FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my observation as well - almost everyone wears a black suit to court.

The DaveR 01-30-2007 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my observation as well - almost everyone wears a black suit to court.

[/ QUOTE ]

This surprises me a great deal. I'm going to poke around.

BukNaked36 01-30-2007 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the suit you're wearing in your avatar would work.

As far as OP, I only have one thing to say -
MAKE SURE THE COLLAR OF YOUR SHIRT IS COMFORTABLE WHEN BUTTONED UP.

Seems like salesman measure you and give you that size. Don't be afraid to go 1/2" bigger and try it. You'll be wearing that suit all day, so make sure you're comfortable.

DegenGambler 01-30-2007 02:23 PM

I agree with sack. In court, I've seen a lot of black suits. Surprisingly, many people don't wear white collared shirts underneath (lots of blues and stripes), despite the general conservatism of courts.

BukNaked36 01-30-2007 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with sack. In court, I've seen a lot of black suits. Surprisingly, many people don't wear white collared shirts underneath (lots of blues and stripes), despite the general conservatism of courts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Degengambler = lawyer

Imagine that.

miajag 01-30-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Degengambler = lawyer

Imagine that.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could just be a hardened criminal. Don't be so quick to judge.

PITTM 01-30-2007 02:35 PM

my job i pretty much have to wear slacks, a dress shirt, and nice leather shoes. I have the shoes and pants down fine, but i hate the shirts i get, either their collars suck, the front comes open because the button area isnt stiff enough or they get wrinkled way too easily, any suggestions here? thanks.

DegenGambler 01-30-2007 02:42 PM

I'm no lawyer, not for another couple of months anyway. I have however worked at superior court, start tomorrow at superior court again prosecuting drunk drivers and the like. You know, justice and all.

PITTM, have you tried Club Room dress shirts? I've found them very wrinkle resistant. Or Geoffrey Bean(e?)? They make a 55% cotton/45% polyester shirt that you can wear around 5 times without ironing or washing (depending on your sweating habits). I still have yet to find a single white dress shirt that doesn't look like hell after a day's use.

Btw: Can anyone speak to the quality:price ratio of Jos A Bank clothes? They have always looked nice, but just too expensive for my tastes.

*TT* 01-30-2007 02:47 PM

Briefly:

1) Charcoal is the new black.

2) Pinstripes are back, when used with caution.

3) Black suits have the inherent problem of damages at the Dry Cleaners. Your suit will start to look shiny due to excessive pressing much quicker than other color fabrics.

4) Generally black suits are best for evening, they do not translate as well during the day hence are not the best option for a work "uniform".

That is all.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]