Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Your all time favourite WWE/Pro Wrestling moment (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=329387)

4thstreetpete 02-11-2007 06:13 PM

Your all time favourite WWE/Pro Wrestling moment

I was listening to a podcast today and there was a short drop of the "sexy kurt" skit from smackdown a few years ago during the HBK/Kurt Angle feud. People still remember it and it got me reminiscing of some of the great moments in wwe history. There have been so many great moments but this one has always stood out for me as one of my most favourite.

HBK and Kurt Angle were feuding at the time and one night on Smackdown Angle came out to the ring with HBK's former manager Sensational Sherri. I was watching it and didn't really know where they were going, but what happened next was so hilarious it literally brought me to tears. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Kurt Angle is sooooo awesome. This is still my most favourite pro wrestling moment ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JgXxI0OzpJ4

Russ M. 02-11-2007 06:41 PM

Re: Your all time favourite WWE/Pro Wrestling moment

Speaking of Sherri, my favorite remains to this day Savage/Warrior WM7 retirement match. I was (and still am) a huge Savage mark and that match with the followup angle afterwards was awesome and still has staying power some 16 years later. If only they had the writing creativity to pull something off like that today.

4thstreetpete 02-11-2007 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of Sherri, my favorite remains to this day Savage/Warrior WM7 retirement match. I was (and still am) a huge Savage mark and that match with the followup angle afterwards was awesome and still has staying power some 16 years later. If only they had the writing creativity to pull something off like that today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what made these angles so great back then was because storyline were built up slowly. Savage and Elizabeth's on and off again relationship were years in the making and when they finally reconciled it was an awesome moment and people in the crowd were actually tearing up. I remembered watching this as a kid with my family. With the exception of me and my dad who were hardcore wrestling fans at the time, the rest of my family were very casual fans. They knew part of the history with Elizabeth and Savage and what happened during that match had everyone buzzing. Even they knew that what they just watched was something VERY special and they were in awe of how good that storyline was from the WWF. They were like, this may be the greatest thing we've ever seen.

New wrestling fans would never understand how much emotional attachment fans had to wrestling back then. Storylines were well thought out and left you with anticipation. As opposed to today's wrestling where things happen at a breakneck pace where wins/losses and titles mean absolutely nothing. I miss those days. This was definately a great moment.

4thstreetpete 02-11-2007 07:31 PM

Speaking of emotional attachment. Another one of my most favourite moments ever was Rock vs Hogan at Wrestlemania 18.
This was in Toronto and my friends and I went to get tickets but it was sold out almost immediately. Boy were we pissed. Fine we'll watch it on PPV. I knew the Hogan vs Rock match would be great but I don't think anyone expected what was about to happen. I'm still kicking myself for not being there live. This match had the greatest atmosphere ever. Hulk Hogan was an icon and this was his first match back in Toronto after many many years. He was going up against the number 1 face at the time the rock. As much as the fans loved the rock, this was going to be a very bad night for rocky as everyone was anticipating the return of a legend.

At this time in my life I was already very into the business, so I knew who was winning. This however did not stop me from being totally drained watching this match. I was literally screaming off the top of my lungs for rock to stay down when Hogan drop the legdrop of doom. "Don't kick out you somambitch!!! Don't kick out~~~~!!!!" LOL I've never been so emotionally drained watching any wrestling match and felt my heart sank. It was unbelievable, had I been there live I would've lost my voice. This match made me remember why I loved wrestling so much. This was the greatest atmoshere ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FnzS1eA_j1o

Mr. Orange 02-11-2007 08:37 PM

My favorite moment has to be Benoit winning the world title at WM20 and then the post match celebration with Eddy Guerrero. I was so happy it was one of the few times I actually felt like a kid again when watching wrestling. Two guys that no one ever thought would have the chance make it to the top standing together as champions to close out the biggest event of the year.

Mr. Orange 02-11-2007 08:43 PM

Another favorite has got to be the Hart/Austin I quit match from WM 13. This was such an epic match and the crowd was hot for both guys. The match itself was great and the ending was very creative(of course now it's been copied a bunch of times) and the double turn was genius. It was also the birth of arguably the biggest star the industry's seen. This was one of those moments where you knew you just witnessed something special.

4thstreetpete 02-11-2007 08:55 PM

Great picks! The Austin/Hart match was a masterpiece. I've never seen anything like the double turn before, pure creative genius.

4thstreetpete 02-11-2007 09:03 PM

Has anyone here seen the AAA - when worlds collide PPV? this was my first introduction to Lucha. Although I'm not a big fan of Lucha, I just remember what an awesome show this was. This was the first time I've ever saw Rey Mysterio, Pscicosis, the late Eddie Guerrero and Art Barr. This was a real eye opener as to how good these guys are. Guys like Rey Mysterio in the WWE is just a shell of what he used to be when he was allowed to work without restrictions.

The X-Factor 02-11-2007 10:09 PM

Here is one of my favs!

Jericho's debut on Raw

DonkeyKongSr 02-11-2007 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is one of my favs!

Jericho's debut on Raw

[/ QUOTE ]

I've watched that probably a dozen times in my life and I get goosebumps everytime the Titantrom says JERICHO.

What's Jericho up to right now? He hurt or something? I haven't been following that closely.

Jack Bando 02-11-2007 11:42 PM

He's semi-retired, decided to just relax and tour with Fozzy. He's said a few times he'll come back in a while, he's just recharging.

Mr. Orange 02-11-2007 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What's Jericho up to right now? He hurt or something? I haven't been following that closely.

[/ QUOTE ]

He retired. From what I've heard he was really smart with the money he made and didn't blow it like alot of other's did so he's basically set financially. He seems to focused mainly on his band these days.

4thstreetpete 02-11-2007 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is one of my favs!

Jericho's debut on Raw

[/ QUOTE ]

I've watched that probably a dozen times in my life and I get goosebumps everytime the Titantrom says JERICHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Jericho is taking a break from wrestling to pursue other interests, like Trish and Lita etc. Jericho has his band Fozzy (which surprising is not too bad). They've put out a few CDs. One of his tracks "Enemy" was used as theme music for one of TNA's PPV. This led to speculation that he might join up with TNA, however there is about 0% chance this is happening. Jericho said never say never but he's pretty much about done with wrestling right now and he had saved his money. If he ever does return to pro wrestling though he would have to give the WWE a "courtesy" call first for everything they have done for him.
We are seeing more and more wrestlers leaving the business today at their prime because they are making more money now and are making smarter decisions than their peers. They can afford to walk away from the grueling travel schedule and the bumps they have to take. This trend will likely continue. The days that we see guys like AJ Styles still taking bumps at age 50 ala Rick Flair is pretty much over.

p002geo 02-12-2007 09:33 AM

Wrestlemania 3 when Ricky Steamboat finally beats Savage for the IC title. The buildup to the match was great with Savage trying to break Steamboat's neck on the rialing outside the ring and using the bell months before the match. Then you had the whole angle with George Steele and Elizabeth going on with the animal in Steamboat's corner.

HUD-BOT 02-12-2007 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is one of my favs!

Jericho's debut on Raw

[/ QUOTE ]

I've watched that probably a dozen times a month

[/ QUOTE ]

The atmosphere/intensity for the Rock/Austin match at WM17 was one of the best. Also after a brief hiatus The Ultimate Warrior returning at WM8 to save Hogan from Papa Shango and Sid Vicious was awesome. Perry Saturn in ECW a couple days after breaking his leg, jumping from the top rope to beat the Dudleys in what was mostly a handicap match, for his partner, Kronus.

Serious Business 02-12-2007 06:16 PM

Soooo many great moments, top 3 would probably be....

1. Shawn Michaels throwing Marty through the glass window of the barber shop
2. Hogan v. Warrior WM 6, I was a huge Hogan mark an absolutley hated Warrior so this was huge for me.
3. Michaels v. Bret Hart at WM 12, HBK being my favorite wrestler ever this was pretty big.

Mr. Orange 02-12-2007 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The atmosphere/intensity for the Rock/Austin match at WM17 was one of the best. Also after a brief hiatus The Ultimate Warrior returning at WM8 to save Hogan from Papa Shango and Sid Vicious was awesome. Perry Saturn in ECW a couple days after breaking his leg, jumping from the top rope to beat the Dudleys in what was mostly a handicap match, for his partner, Kronus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are some good ones. The Austin-Rock WM 17 match was awesome(with the exception of the McMachon interference) and probably their best. The two most popular wrestlers of their era both at their abosulute peak. The only thing that takes away from this slightly is I think it would have been so much better if they hadn't fought at WM15. I don't think the WWF had any idea how big the Rock was gonna get or they would've have saved this match. I know they fueded over the IC title earlier in their careers but that doesn't really count as neither was a big time star yet. Imagine how much more epic the match would have been if they hadn't fought in the main event of WM 2 years earlier and this was basically their first meeting as "big time stars".

The Saturn top rope jump was sick. I remember watching that back in the day and being totally blown away. Saturn was pretty crazy in those days. Right around that time I remember him doing an elbow drop off the scallfolding 20 feet above the ring onto someone.

DonkeyKongSr 02-12-2007 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Saturn top rope jump was sick. I remember watching that back in the day and being totally blown away. Saturn was pretty crazy in those days. Right around that time I remember him doing an elbow drop off the scallfolding 20 feet above the ring onto someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved Saturn. I loved the Radicalz. If Eddie didn't get hurt so quickly to ruin it, I think they would have had a nice run as a 4 Horseman like team.

The Radicalz debut

PS, I also miss Steve Blackman. Too bad he had zero charisma.

4thstreetpete 02-12-2007 06:43 PM

Speaking of Austin and Rock. When you guys were watching wrestling back then with all the monday night wars and seeing the rise of Austin and Rock, did any of you get the feeling that you were watching something REALLY special?
I remember watching wrestling back then and thinking to myself, stars like Austin and Rock can only happen once in a century and now we have them both on our TV at the prime of their careers at the same time! I knew what I was watching was something very historic and may never happen again. All the great monday night wars stuff with Nitro and WWE putting out real compelling television. So during that time I had taped every single raw and smackdown for those 3 or 4 years and saved them on CDs. SADLY, when I moved I ended up tossing out all kinds of junk that I'd been saving and among them were these CDs. Now I'm just kicking myself. One day when I'm old and grey I would just love to pull out these tapes again and relive the monday night wars and the rise of Austin and the Rock. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I just don't think we'll ever have a time period or stars like that ever again.

Mr. Orange 02-12-2007 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PS, I also miss Steve Blackman. Too bad he had zero charisma.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. For some reason I was always a fan of this guy. He had a nice little run as hardcore champion and a good feud with Shane McMachon but otherwise he never really made it.

DonkeyKongSr 02-12-2007 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of Austin and Rock. When you guys were watching wrestling back then with all the monday night wars and seeing the rise of Austin and Rock, did any of you get the feeling that you were watching something REALLY special?
I remember watching wrestling back then and thinking to myself, stars like Austin and Rock can only happen once in a century and now we have them both on our TV at the prime of their careers at the same time! I knew what I was watching was something very historic and may never happen again. All the great monday night wars stuff with Nitro and WWE putting out real compelling television. So during that time I had taped every single raw and smackdown for those 3 or 4 years and saved them on CDs. SADLY, when I moved I ended up tossing out all kinds of junk that I'd been saving and among them were these CDs. Now I'm just kicking myself. One day when I'm old and grey I would just love to pull out these tapes again and relive the monday night wars and the rise of Austin and the Rock. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I just don't think we'll ever have a time period or stars like that ever again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, they hit gold with both of them. I looked forward to both the promos and the matches each week back then. I really don't look forward to much of either these days.

Russ M. 02-12-2007 07:45 PM

I was thinking about this and I may make a thread later, but at the time I was extremely entertained by Rock and Austin pretty much every week and I never really thought about it. Maybe I took it for granted being that nowadays I'm only mildly entertained by the product.

slothinator 02-12-2007 08:38 PM

My all-time favorite is Goldberg spearing Hollywood Hogan on Monday Nitro to win the title. That was one of the few moments that have actually ever sent me leaping out of my seat. A few others that standout:

Hogan rescuing Eguene from Dhavari and Hassan at Wrestle Mania

Hogan beating Savage for the title on Monday Nitro the day after Savage won the title at a PPV (Hogan had been out for a few months)

The Rock shaking Hogan's hand, calling him "Brother", and then giving him the Rock Bottom on Raw

Amazing. I've never considered myself a Hogan fan, but the four moments that stand out to me all have him in them.

Jack Bando 02-12-2007 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once Ausitn won the King of the Ring and started stunnering everyone, that's when I knew he'd be good. For Rock, I'd say when him and Austin feuded at a bridge was when he took off in my eyes.

It's been long enough for me to forgive him, but damn Austin for "What?" For at least a year after, every inring promo was swamped with the fans going "What?"

HUD-BOT 02-12-2007 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My all-time favorite is Goldberg spearing Hollywood Hogan on Monday Nitro to win the title. That was one of the few moments that have actually ever sent me leaping out of my seat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hated WCW but actually watched this match. The atmosphere was amazing and the match was decent as well.

Mr. Orange 02-12-2007 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's been long enough for me to forgive him, but damn Austin for "What?" For at least a year after, every inring promo was swamped with the fans going "What?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me but it actually was pretty funny for a while but then it got stupid and out of hand. There was one show where the fans yelling "what?" everytime there was a pause in the national anthem.

Bakes 02-13-2007 01:45 AM

My favorite is still the WCW cruiserweight battle royale, winner fights Jericho, the scarecrow dude wins and rips off his costume to reveal Malenko, who pounds Jericho a new one.

jeaaaaa

Jack Bando 02-13-2007 02:29 AM

Mr Orange, I agree with the first sentence completly. It was funny when Austin did it, or a few times w/o him. Besides that though, ugh.

Speaking of what?

Crowd:WHAT?
Undertaker:If you sleep with your sister, say what.
CROWD:Wha...

Another great Jericho moment was before that battle royale (or a battle royale) was when he announced who was in the BR.

"And next is Silver King, 5 more wins and he'll be Golden King."

ajohnson16 02-13-2007 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite is still the WCW cruiserweight battle royale, winner fights Jericho, the scarecrow dude wins and rips off his costume to reveal Malenko, who pounds Jericho a new one.

jeaaaaa

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted this in another thread but idk if you saw it. This is on WWE 24/7 online. Pay $3.99 for a month and you can watch it.

Fishmonger 02-14-2007 06:57 PM

One of the first that came to mind was Ted DiBiase kicking the basketball away from the kid.

4thstreetpete 02-14-2007 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the first that came to mind was Ted DiBiase kicking the basketball away from the kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I remembered watching that. Just great! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
BTW, did you know that kid would grow up to be RVD?

4thstreetpete 02-14-2007 07:58 PM

Another one of my all time favourites was during the double turn with Austin and Bret at Wrestmania and the storyline that followed. Bret would reform the Hart Foundation with Bret, Davey, Owen, and Jim. What was amazing was that the Hart Foundation were the heels in the US but they were face everywhere else in the world. In Canada and Europe, Bret Hart was the biggest face ever. It was unbelievable I've never seen anything like it. This was the beginning of a great USA/Canada rivalry that was really fun to watch and really great to be at the live shows.

Dynasty 02-14-2007 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I remembered watching that. Just great! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The kid dribbling the basketball was black.

Van Dam kissed Dibiase's feet.

4thstreetpete 02-14-2007 09:18 PM

doh! that's right. Damn you got a good memory.

DonkeyKongSr 02-14-2007 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The kid dribbling the basketball was black.

Van Dam kissed Dibiase's feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that article. It was a great read.

I always loved the Million Dollar Man. The Million Dollar Championship gimmick was genius. They really had great buildup to it's debut and then I thought they did a great job keeping it going and keeping it interesting. It was perfect for his character, not like all the "king" gimmicks which are a similar concept (mostly meaningless title). Most of the time that gimmick has sucked because they just tacked it onto someone in need of a push for a year.

4thstreetpete 02-14-2007 09:52 PM

I especially loved it when they brought back the million dollar belt and presented it to Steve Austin. A great way to bring back a piece of history in the mix.

___SK___ 02-15-2007 10:03 PM

One of my favorite moments is the Austin/Tyson interview from when DX brought in Tyson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-4BJChqm0c

editted to include the link

The X-Factor 02-21-2007 09:59 PM

Here is another hillarious one I found LOL

Kane acting like Hogan and The Rock

HUD-BOT 02-21-2007 10:26 PM

My wifes is when Stone Cold and Kurt Angle were singing with a guitar to Mr. McMahon, I believe just before the first ECW/WWF PPV where Austin turned against the WWF people. Her close 2nd is when Austin came down with a milk truck spraying all over McMahon.

Russ M. 02-21-2007 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My wifes is when Stone Cold and Kurt Angle were singing with a guitar to Mr. McMahon, I believe just before the first ECW/WWF PPV where Austin turned against the WWF people. Her close 2nd is when Austin came down with a milk truck spraying all over McMahon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Milk truck was Angle. Beer truck was Austin.