Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Sklansky hurting? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=453607)

nycballer 07-17-2007 06:15 PM

Sklansky hurting?

Gave a speech in exchange for a STAKE in the 50k horse and main event

DonovanMD 07-17-2007 06:26 PM

Re: Sklansky hurting?

Why would that mean he's hurting? What sort of speech was this, some hour long thing for some college somewhere? Who wouldn't make that trade, rich or not.

nycballer 07-17-2007 06:29 PM

cause a, he needs a stake in the first place and b, he gave a speech just for the oppurtunity to be staked not in exchange for any compensation

cbloom 07-17-2007 06:32 PM

A speech for 50k is pretty good hourly.

*TT* 07-17-2007 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant think of a single professional player in the world who wouldn't give a speech in exchange for a 50k stake in the HORSE event.

Can you really imagine David asking himself "I could pull 50k out of my pocket or spend 2 hours giving a speech, I better pay for the entry on my own so nobody finds out". Thats a ridiculous thing to assume, David knows a +EV situation when he sees it.

antisocialgrace 07-17-2007 06:51 PM

Re: Sklansky hurting? *DELETED*

Post deleted by antisocialgrace

jman220 07-17-2007 06:54 PM

Guys, you're all missing the point, nobody gave DS 50k for a speech, the op is that he was given a stake for a speech. Which is fine by the way, who wouldn't give a speech in order to freeroll in a big horse tournament? I'm assuming the percentage of the win david gets to keep is enough so that this proposition is well into +EV for him.

Crane 07-17-2007 07:26 PM

Bob Stupak stakes Sklansky

ibluffoldladies 07-17-2007 07:28 PM

mmmm, a 50k steak.

Lurker. 07-17-2007 07:29 PM

how was it done?

KennyBanya 07-17-2007 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Professional gamblers like to have free rolls and create overlays. That's how they make a living.

This is whether they are hurting or not.

KennyBanya

TheIcyC 07-17-2007 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Professional gamblers like to have free rolls and create overlays. That's how they make a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I would be more worried if he didnt take the opportunity.

RickAstleyFan 07-17-2007 07:55 PM

He basically worked for two hours to save 60K.

Think of all the hookers 60K would buy!

PLUS PLUS PLUS EV

MicroBob 07-17-2007 09:59 PM

I bet he would have given the speech for less actually and probably got a good deal out of it.

You would have to be stupid to turn down significant money to just give a speech.
You might be even stupider to think that somebody who does this must be 'hurting'.

The4Aces 07-17-2007 10:06 PM

An important factor to remember is that a 2 hour speech would take longer than 2 hours to prepare for.

MicroBob 07-17-2007 10:27 PM

Meh, not necessarily THAT much prep if it's on a topic you are comfortable chatting about.

Think Phil Hellmuth or Tommy Lasorda or any other guy who occasionally get paid for such things actually sits there and prepares for hour after hour after hour to stand up on a stage and talk and talk?

Just slap a few note-cards together, put them in order, and wing it.

If someone wanted to pay me to give a 2 hour speech on such topics as grinding out 10 tables online I don't think it would be too difficult.
And I'm somebody who has never done such a speech. Whereas I'm pretty sure Sklansky has stood before an audience to give a speech on this topic or that on several occasions.

tarheeljks 07-17-2007 10:33 PM

do you not see how his acceptance of the offer does not imply that he couldn't enter the event w/o it? also, how is a 50k stake no compensation. nyu admissions must be slacking. j/k

TxRedMan 07-17-2007 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming it was split 50/50, his immediate EV would be 30K. assume the speech was 2 hours, that's 15K/hour. assume that DS has (x) edge in the horse tournament, his implied EV is greater than 15K/hr, and i think DS is smart enough to avoid high variance spots bankroll-wise, like 50K buyin tournaments with the best players in the world.

this sounds like a smart decision, and even if I had a $1M bankroll, i'd still take this offer.

but i'd have to give a speech on weight lifting and the transportation industry, so, i doubt that would fly.

Moose 07-17-2007 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you not see how his acceptance of the offer does not imply that he couldn't enter the event w/o it? also, how is a 50k stake no compensation. nyu admissions must be slacking. j/k

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends entirely on the percentage he got in his stake. If he accepted a 1-99 split in return for a speech, he probably wouldn't take it. Maybe DS will enlighten us someday on what the break-even point for N is between

A> take the stake where DS pays nothing and gets N% of the gross and
B> DS BRing himself.

My guess is that for DS, N=15.

Meanwhile, I would take a 50k stake in the HORSE event for a 0-100 split.

jman220 07-17-2007 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meanwhile, I would take a 50k stake in the HORSE event for a 0-100 split.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be extremely -EU (not EV) due to the possibiity of you "winning" millions of dollars. Do you see why?

Moose 07-17-2007 10:57 PM

Is this a tax question? If so, do I point out that I'm Canadian and I wouldn't take the tax hit. I'm just thinking: no risk, yet a free trip to Vegas to play against the very best players on earth = one hell of an experience.

mrjetguy 07-18-2007 02:40 AM

OP does not cite any source or explain why he knows this. I think it all depends on the staking deal whether or not we should care. I assume he got a favorable %?

David Sklansky 07-18-2007 02:45 AM

Jane Street Capital. 50-50 split.

Kmon 07-18-2007 03:34 AM

http://www.janestcapital.com

?

I hold workshops for $450 for 4 hours, Mr. Sklansky Wins

Think, you get staked and talk about something other people wanta hear, win win.

nineinchal 07-18-2007 05:49 AM

We all should be hurting like Sklansky.

El Diablo 07-18-2007 05:51 AM

DS,

What would you estimate your EV at for that tourney?

Apathy 07-18-2007 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DS,

What would you estimate your EV at for that tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding... Can I get you to be my personal asssitant for the year in exchange for a permanant staking deal for you like this one Sklansky?

THAY3R 07-18-2007 07:52 AM

One time deal of 50/50 is generally horrible for the backer.

<Insert something clever re: Brandi here>

ocdscale 07-18-2007 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One time deal of 50/50 is generally horrible for the pobacker.

<Insert something clever re: Brandi here>

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp?

fnord_too 07-18-2007 12:35 PM

What kind of speech was it? A lecture or a marketing speech? If it was any sort of lecture you all are all ignoring the ego boost of having a bunch of financial quants pay you to lecture on something they consider themselves experts at.

Or maybe they just thought it was +EV to stake him but came up with a gimmick to get him to allow himself to be staked/wear a nice Jane Capital shirt for the cameras.

Either way, sweet deal.

DS: Do you have any other arrangements with the firm? Consulting agreements, promotional agreements, etc?

Off Duty 07-18-2007 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mmmm, a 50k steak.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.epicurious.com/images/coo...know/steak.jpg

RikaKazak 07-18-2007 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I would be more worried if he didnt take the opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

MiltonFriedman 07-18-2007 01:24 PM

Were they trading portions of their cut in a secondary market as you played ?

*TT* 07-18-2007 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mmmm, a 50k steak.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.epicurious.com/images/coo...know/steak.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is a photo of David's stake, then I think get got the worst of it. Its not yummy looking at all [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Moose 07-18-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jane Street Capital. 50-50 split.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Sklansky, what's the lowest split you would consider in a stake in order to make the offer more profitable than playing it yourself, factoring in the work involved on your part having a real dollar value as well? If it's none of my business, I understand.

bec1972 07-18-2007 07:10 PM

Not hurting, proving his intelligence again. I would give a speech for $25, I give my son them all the time and he doesn't even listen!

Dunkman 07-18-2007 07:14 PM

Do you guys actually think DS is +EV in the 50k HORSE event?

mrjetguy 07-18-2007 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys actually think DS is +EV in the 50k HORSE event?

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe, how well is he going to run?

Soulman 07-18-2007 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just slap a few note-cards together, put them in order, and wing it.

If someone wanted to pay me to give a 2 hour speech on such topics as grinding out 10 tables online I don't think it would be too difficult.
And I'm somebody who has never done such a speech. Whereas I'm pretty sure Sklansky has stood before an audience to give a speech on this topic or that on several occasions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to dis you, but giving a speech can be pretty hard - if you want it to be good. If you don't have any experience, it's way harder. Once you're very experienced and knowledgeable about the subject matter, you can wing a bit more.

El Diablo 07-18-2007 08:55 PM

Dunk,

"Do you guys actually think DS is +EV in the 50k HORSE event?"

I'm just surprised that he didn't feel his EV was higher.