Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   I Just Played a Bot on Stars (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=462823)

Crane 07-28-2007 03:07 AM

I Just Played a Bot on Stars

I just got through playing a $20 heads up stud sit n go on Stars .

My "opponent" was extremely slow to the point of me losing my cool and telling him to speed it up.

No response.

Every time I raised on third street he called. He also always called on fourth street.

This was exasperating, because he was drawing out repeatedly. So I'm down to about 500 from my 1500 starting chips.

He never chatted, which proves nothing, so I started calling him names, insulting his mother, you know--nothing.

Finally, instead of raising on third I would just call. I did more checking and calling and to my amazement from fourth street on he would play very fast and check it down if he had nothing.

Then I figured out he would always pay off on the river with any pair.

So, think forever on third and fourth. Play fast on five and six. Think and anzlyze on the river.

Once I figured it out, it was like stealing.

I'm 100% convinced this was a bot.

PartyGirlUK 07-28-2007 03:12 AM

Re: I Just Played a Bot on Stars

Have you applied Mr. Gatorade's 100% bot-detecting algoorithm (developed over three years) yet? Only way to know for sure.

NFuego20 07-28-2007 04:28 AM

Sounds like an annoying opponent but I think your sample size needs to be a little larger than one sit n go before you throw around the bot accusation. Posts like this don't do any justice to people who really do pull together significant data to make a case.

oddsock 07-28-2007 05:02 AM

I think you played me!

To be honest though, I've noticed that quite a few players especially in heads up games have claimed I'm a bot when playing because of my early tourny stage call station activities. I tend to play more like a bot to annoy them in ways you describe and never chat. Why? Generally because anyone who starts claiming an opponent is a bot it extremely likely to go tilt crazy. It's a bonus when my mother is brought into the equation.

It's the paranoia of heads up. Don't play heads up games because based on your sample size, 100% of the games you play "may" be bots - it will affect your game.

Please someone direct me to Mr Gatorades bot detector.

Crane 07-28-2007 05:18 AM

It was the timing. On third and fourth he alwasy took the same amount of time. On fifth and sixth same thing. On seventh, same as third.

I don't mind bots. If you know you are playing one. They fall into a pattern you can pick up on.

I just thought it was interesting.

4drugmoney 07-28-2007 05:23 AM

Man your detection methods are almost as advanced as Mr. Gatorades. It had to be a bot.

MicroBob 07-28-2007 10:07 AM

If you're so sure it's a bot then just list his Stars handle and see if anyone can confirm for you.

Your detection methods obviously prove nothing even though you are somehow "100% sure" that he is.

He could have been multi-tabling and then closed out one of the tables. His connection could have been screwy at first and then got better.
He could have been stalling to intentionally screw with you and then got bored with doing that (I've had opponents do this).

WutRUTryin2Hit 07-28-2007 10:16 AM

Oh yeah actually this is 7card stud right? I have a friend who used to play those same HU matches and was 90% sure the main regular in them was a bot. He had 2 usernames that weirdly were very similar, and would play on one for hours and hours, then switch to another for another long session. I don't know for sure if he was a bot or not, but my friend did make a very good argument for it. I'm going to PM you the names out of curiosity and see if it's the same person.

PokerStarsJeff 07-28-2007 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got through playing a $20 heads up stud sit n go on Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based upon your description of your chat, and the fact that there just aren't that many $20 HU Stud events in a given day, I believe I have located your match in the PokerStars database.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please rest assured that PokerStars has an extensive arsenal of detection tools in order to ensure that each player is a human being. (For those that would bring it up, they were developed in the aftermath of TeddyFBI's mom debacle -- we didn't have them back then or that mistake would not have been made).

I cannot detail each of the tools we use to make this determination (we don't want our methods to fall into the hands of bot programmers who will then use that information to avoid detection).

These tools are proactively used to locate and remove bots and can be used to more closely review a specific individual account as well (which I have done against your opponent). Your opponent definitely was not a bot, Crane. There wasn't even a whiff of bot anywhere on the account.

Best Regards,

Jeff
PokerStars Game Security

5thStreetHog 07-28-2007 10:46 AM

That`s good enough for me,cased closed GatorJR

El_Hombre_Grande 07-28-2007 10:51 AM

Yah.. Me too. Close the account, take the monies. Accuse next player. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Mr Gatorade III.

4drugmoney 07-28-2007 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Based upon your description of your chat, and the fact that there just aren't that many $20 HU Stud events in a given day, I believe I have located your match in the PokerStars database.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please rest assured that PokerStars has an extensive arsenal of detection tools in order to ensure that each player is a human being. (For those that would bring it up, they were developed in the aftermath of TeddyFBI's mom debacle -- we didn't have them back then or that mistake would not have been made).

I cannot detail each of the tools we use to make this determination (we don't want our methods to fall into the hands of bot programmers who will then use that information to avoid detection).

These tools are proactively used to locate and remove bots and can be used to more closely review a specific individual account as well (which I have done against your opponent). Your opponent definitely was not a bot, Crane. There wasn't even a whiff of bot anywhere on the account.

Best Regards,

Jeff
PokerStars Game Security

[/ QUOTE ]

bUT HIS METHODS OF DETECTION WERE SO SOPHISTICATED OMG ARE YOU SURE POKERSTARS? HE SOUNDS JUST LIKE A BOT. YOU SHOULD LOCK HIS ACCOUNT AND TAKE ALL HIS MONEY LIKE FULLTILT DOES

PokerStarsJeff 07-28-2007 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bUT HIS METHODS OF DETECTION WERE SO SOPHISTICATED OMG ARE YOU SURE POKERSTARS? HE SOUNDS JUST LIKE A BOT. YOU SHOULD LOCK HIS ACCOUNT AND TAKE ALL HIS MONEY LIKE FULLTILT DOES

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of an Email reporting suspicions of a bot I handled just two days ago, which read:

[ QUOTE ]

"<UserID> is a bot. I demand you kill him and refund my money."

[/ QUOTE ]

"Off with his head, then." - The Queen of Hearts

(with apologies to the Reverend Dodgson)

Jeff
PokerStars Game Security

P.S. We're never quite that harsh. We stop with the rack and the Iron Maiden.

P.P.S. That Email was also wrong. It wasn't a bot.

5thStreetHog 07-28-2007 11:18 AM

LOL classic..But it is reassuring to see you guys are taking BOT claims seriously,without overreacting to people crying wolf like OP.It is appreciated.We all know the BOT threat is very serious,its just a shame the number of people throwing false empty accusations around seem to be on the rise as well.

MicroBob 07-28-2007 12:16 PM

"But it is reassuring to see you guys are taking BOT claims seriously,without overreacting to people crying wolf like OP."

Emphasis on both aspects of this.
FT seems to have gone to far on the overreacting part with regard to frozen funds via "too many" transfers and other stuff they want to investigate.

Not only do you guys seem to not overreact, it also appears you don't delay things and fall back on all the old excuses of "just be patient, we'll get back to you in a few days" (which seems to frequently mean "few weeks" over there).

Beavis68 07-28-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best Regards,

Jeff
PokerStars Game Security

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you going to take away his chat for abusing this poor bot?

Beavis68 07-28-2007 12:34 PM

You make them listen to Iron Maiden? Wow, that is worse than death.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of an Email reporting suspicions of a bot I handled just two days ago, which read:

[ QUOTE ]

"<UserID> is a bot. I demand you kill him and refund my money."

[/ QUOTE ]

"Off with his head, then." - The Queen of Hearts

(with apologies to the Reverend Dodgson)

Jeff
PokerStars Game Security

P.S. We're never quite that harsh. We stop with the rack and the Iron Maiden .

P.P.S. That Email was also wrong. It wasn't a bot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Losing all 07-28-2007 12:40 PM

Eddie gonna send the beast with wrath for that.

cwar 07-28-2007 12:51 PM

OP, sounds like he was playing on his phone.

AJackson 07-28-2007 02:15 PM

This thread is just one more example of why I play at Stars, spending 100K+ on rake, and no where else. Despite the comical nature of the OPs detection methods, Jeff takes the time to find the match and look into it.

Their primary competition can't even act on an email about an account being hacked in under 24 hours or keep their site up and running consistently.

Keep up the good work, Stars.

ctj 07-28-2007 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is just one more example of why I play at Stars, spending 100K+ on rake, and no where else. Despite the comical nature of the OPs detection methods, Jeff takes the time to find the match and look into it.

Their primary competition can't even act on an email about an account being hacked in under 24 hours or keep their site up and running consistently.

[/ QUOTE ]

What proof is there that 'PokerStarsJeff', who seems to be a new 2+2 account, actually works for Pokerstars?

Johnny McEldoo 07-28-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%. I play exclusively on Stars as well and this is an example of why. You guys are by far the best. Jeff and Scottyy should ask for a big raise because things like this keeps many people in this community generating tons of money in rake for Stars.

Johnny McEldoo 07-28-2007 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What proof is there that 'PokerStarsJeff', who seems to be a new 2+2 account actually works for Pokerstars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. This was his 7th post and it was posted 7 minutes after the last reply. Such a pattern could mean nothing other than he is not even human! Mods please close his 2+2 account [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

AJackson 07-28-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What proof is there that 'PokerStarsJeff', who seems to be a new 2+2 account, actually works for Pokerstars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid point. I didn't notice how new the account was, but I just glanced at his other posts and he seems legit. Additionally, 2+2 is quick to close down the gimick accounts trying to represent a real person or company.

PokerStarsJeff 07-28-2007 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are mods, including Jurollo and Mike Haven, who can vouch that I am who I claim to be. Also, any of the other posters from PokerStars, including HostJacob and Sciolist, as well as Lee Jones, can do so as well.

I don't post often, true... but the account has been around for over a year (that was July 17, 2006 for the account creation, not just last week).

Regards,

Jeff
PokerStars Game Security

PokerStorm 07-28-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello ctj, I just wanted to confirm that the user 'PokerStarsJeff' is indeed a respresentative of our company. If you look closely at the bottom of his posts you will see the text "PokerStars Game Security" that signals a Pokerstars employee. Thank you for your concern.

Regards,

Pokerstorm
PokerStars Game Security [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Edit/MH: To put in the [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

MicroBob 07-28-2007 03:46 PM

PokerStorm is amusing.

PokerStarsJeff probably should get a title-change from Mike Haven or someone so as not to cause any concern/confusion.

frommagio 07-28-2007 03:48 PM

Jeff - Thanks to PokerStars for continuing to set the standard for the industry.

You're the only company out there who has worked to earn your customers' loyalty. Without you, what would we have? Nothing but second-rate choices and worse.

We may not say this enough, but the online poker community truly appreciates your effort.

PokerStorm 07-28-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff - Thanks to PokerStars for continuing to set the standard for the industry.

You're the only company out there who has worked to earn your customers' loyalty. Without you, what would we have? Nothing but second-rate choices and worse.

We may not say this enough, but the online poker community truly appreciates your effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

On behalf of Jeff, myself, and the rest of the team I'd like to thank you for your kind words. We do our best to ensure the customer has the best possible poker experience to be found online and it's nice to be thanked once in a while. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] To reward your appreciation please pm me and I'll see if we can arrange an exclusive 'unmentionable' scheme for you. This offer is open to frommagio only, so other users please don't pm me about it.

Regards,

Pokerstorm
PokerStars Game Security [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

jsbjoe 07-28-2007 04:52 PM

there are many players such as you describe in HU SNG's of this limit. the reason is that a Northwest Territory mental institution is "staking" play by its patients/inmates.

I am not joking, this is a serious post. It is considered some kind of socialization/game playing activity that is stimulating for the patient/inmates.

Annorax 07-28-2007 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStorm is amusing.

PokerStarsJeff probably should get a title-change from Mike Haven or someone so as not to cause any concern/confusion and PokerStorm should be banned for attempting to summon Idi.

[/ QUOTE ]

whangarei 07-28-2007 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He never chatted, which proves nothing, so I started calling him names, insulting his mother, you know--nothing. ... I'm 100% convinced this was a bot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This proves he's either a bot or he's older than 19.

Guthrie 07-28-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So why in the world would you want to out him as a bot and get his account closed?

I'd keep it a secret and try to play him every day.

apefish 07-28-2007 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron Maiden! Excellent!

ILuvRiver 07-28-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron Maiden! Excellent!

[/ QUOTE ]

lolz

Crane 07-28-2007 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So why in the world would you want to out him as a bot and get his account closed?

I'd keep it a secret and try to play him every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to "out" him and get his account closed. The way he timed his moves almost precisely every time, and the pattern of play made me think he was a bot. I thought it was amusing and interesting. I was pretty convinced.

I didn't report him. I just mentioned it here. I would like to play him every day.

I had no idea Stars would look into it like they did, or I never would have mentioned it. Kudos to Stars.

I found it a curiosity more than a threat.

I do wonder however, just how good they are at team detection, a far bigger threat and much more pervasive in my opinion, and how they can possibly detect it.

CaseS87 07-28-2007 08:57 PM

Do you really think that someone taking the same amount of time each action is reason for believing they are a bot? You don't think the bot programmers have figured out how to randomize action times?

kyleb 07-28-2007 09:24 PM

For what it's worth, there were Stud 8/b and Stud SNG bots on PokerStars when I started working there, with really good anti-detection methods, but Jeff found them and shut it down anyway, refunding everyone in the process (PokerStars paid a significant sum out of pocket, since the seized money total wasn't enough to compensate all the players).

When I worked there, Jeff and his small team of anti-bot employees were top notch. I've heard through the grapevine that it's even better now. They do an outstanding job of keeping up on the newest technology on both sides.

Crane 07-29-2007 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think that someone taking the same amount of time each action is reason for believing they are a bot? You don't think the bot programmers have figured out how to randomize action times?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I thought that. In fact, I've seen bots that did exactly that. A long time ago someone posted here they found a bunch of bots. A friend of mine called me up and said check this out. I watched them play. All moves were timed precisely.

Sorry I brought it up, guys. I'm just an old guy who doesn't know much about computers.

jsbjoe 07-29-2007 02:08 AM

taking the same amount of time EVERY time is definitely a reason for thinking that you are playing against a (poorly constructed) bot.

No person can do this.