Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NBA HoFers (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=408133)

hanster 05-21-2007 01:10 AM

NBA HoFers

I don't recall reading anything about this. I only saw people talk about baseball players. Basketball HoF is obviously more prestigious so I assume people know who are going to get in and who aren't beforehand. Today, my friend and I had a quite interesting conversation about who is HoF and who isn't. I am not going to say who I think should be and who I think shouldn't be in, because that's the discussion I want to see in this thread [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

List:
Current:
Shaq
Kobe
KG
Duncan
Nash
Iverson

Retired:
David Robinson
Scottie Pippen
Reggie Miller
Mark Jackson

I am just thinking on top of my head right now. There are some obvious ones and some that aren't so obvious. Also, please feel free to add to the list. I must be forgetting some key names because 6 HoFers in this generation seems a tad little, no?

j555 05-21-2007 01:12 AM

Re: NBA HoFers

Just a guess, but Michael Jordan? Stockton? Malone?

Roger's Park 05-21-2007 01:13 AM

Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton, Dikembe Mutombo...

Jack of Arcades 05-21-2007 01:16 AM

Kidd, Payton, and Dirk make it.

dnh83 05-21-2007 01:18 AM

lol at Action Jackson in the HOF, no freaking way. Also I think Mourning and Mutumbo are no's.

lastchance 05-21-2007 01:21 AM

Chris Paul, Lebron, and Wade all are very, very likely to be HOFers. Chris Bosh and Dwight Howard are also very high on the list. Elton Brand is only 28. Amare's only 24?

Dirk and T-Mac anyone? Yao's only 26 (yes, that's disgusting).

Jordan, Stockton, Malone, Robinson, Miller, Payton, Mourning, Mutumbo, all probably locks.

j555 05-21-2007 01:25 AM

Ok, you're talking about borderline HOFs i think and that's why you left off MJ, Malone, and Stockton at least I hope.

So from your current list i'd say those top 4 in the current list will be in the HOF. I guess I'd have to wait and see on Nash and Iverson.

Robinson, Miller, Payton, and maybe Pippen are in. Mourning and Mutombo are borderline I think. Also, has Hakeem gone in yet because he'll be lock too.

Roger's Park 05-21-2007 01:26 AM

Do you guys think V Carter, R Allen and P Pierce have a chance?

capone0 05-21-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chris Paul, Lebron, and Wade all are very, very likely to be HOFers. Chris Bosh and Dwight Howard are also very high on the list. Elton Brand is only 28. Amare's only 24?

Dirk and T-Mac anyone? Yao's only 26 (yes, that's disgusting).

Jordan, Stockton, Malone, Robinson, Miller, Payton, Mourning, Mutumbo, all probably locks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Paul, Lebron and Wade have HOF talent, there are not even close to being in. They have long ways to go. They need to stay healthy.

If Mutombo and Mourning are in then there are a handful of players who should also easily be in. Odds are two of them don't have the resume yet.

lastchance 05-21-2007 01:33 AM

Hakeem hasn't gone in yet. He is a lock.

V Carter isn't close right now. Ray Allen probably doesn't have a chance.

Pierce probably doesn't make it, but he could with 5 or 6 years of goodness or some more breakoutness.

hanster 05-21-2007 01:34 AM

Oh lol i forgot to mention BORDERLINE. I think it's obvious MJ/Stockton/Malone go in. I'm sure Hakeem is a lock as well. What about Ewing? I don't know about Mourning and Mutombo.

Let me toss in another name here: Chris Webber

Roger:
To be honest, I don't think any of those have a chance. Allen has the best chance and Pierce being second. VC is not close.

capone0 05-21-2007 01:36 AM

Webber is a fringe, he's very borderline. If the Pistons win it all this year it won't hurt his chances. But his odds are better than both Mutombo and Mourning. Mourning would be a shoe in if he never got sick.

Clarkmeister 05-21-2007 01:36 AM

I don't know that it's even obvious yet that Chris Paul has Hall of Fame talent. Unless it's a semantical argument and you also think Stephan Marburry also has Hall of Fame talent.

Could he end up being a HoFer? Sure. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon to even bring him up. It's really too soon for Wade, Arenas, et al. It's damn sure too soon to be talking about Chris Paul.

lastchance 05-21-2007 01:37 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...reatestCenters

Yeah, ewing is a lock.

j555 05-21-2007 01:39 AM

Ewing is a lock. Probably no on Webber as he hasn't really done anything spectacular.

Allen, Pierce, and Carter need a lot more great seasons to even be considered. Someone mentioned Jason Kidd and I think he can get in, but that might be it as far as curren players go.

capone0 05-21-2007 01:39 AM

True. Hill was a lock if you look at his first 5 years, he's definitely tailed off due to his injuries. I wouldn't include many youngers in any lock catagories, it's just way too early.

hanster 05-21-2007 01:40 AM

Yeah that's why I didn't bring up the big 3 in the OP; they're too young and all have enough talent like Grant Hill did back in the days. =/

Kobe, Duncan, KG anyone? Are they borderline and 2 or 3 great seasons away? Locks?

*Edit* Didn't see Capone's post about Hill lol

capone0 05-21-2007 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ewing is a lock. Probably no on Webber as he hasn't really done anything spectacular.

Allen, Pierce, and Carter need a lot more great seasons to even be considered. Someone mentioned Jason Kidd and I think he can get in, but that might be it as far as curren players go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Webber averaged 27/11/4 1.5 steals / 1.5 blocks in a season. I think that's pretty impressive. No he never maintained it due to injury but he was a top 3 pf for a bunch of years.

lastchance 05-21-2007 01:42 AM

Lebron James was the best SF in the league at 21. I think it's easy to see HoFer (and is still teh best SF in the league).

Dwayne Wade was the best SG in the league at 23, and somewhat the same for this year (well, injury, other than that).

Chris Paul is going to be the best PG in the league a year or two from now.

Yeah, injury definitely does play an issue though.

And Kidd should get in. He's been good for a very long time (and might have a year or two to go, as well).

capone0 05-21-2007 01:42 AM

All 3 are definite locks. Duncan is arguably the best PF ever. Super-Lock. KG is one of the top 5 or so ever. Kobe is also a lock. He's been the best player in the NBA for a couple of years already.

Clarkmeister 05-21-2007 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Dwayne Wade was the best SG in the league at 23, and somewhat the same for this year (well, injury, other than that).

[/ QUOTE ]

What position do you think Kobe plays?

lastchance 05-21-2007 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah that's why I didn't bring up the big 3 in the OP; they're too young and all have enough talent like Grant Hill did back in the days. =/

Kobe, Duncan, KG anyone? Are they borderline and 2 or 3 great seasons away? Locks?

[/ QUOTE ]
Duncan has lock written all over him. Same with KG. Kobe does have 3 championships, and he's probably a lock anyway. Jesus, Kobe's only 28. Yeah, if he's not a lock yet, he will be one.

lastchance 05-21-2007 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you can argue wade was better last year, and possibly this year. Admittedly, fine, not as clear-cut as I made it sound, but still. You really think Wade doesn't project to be a hall of famer?

Clarkmeister 05-21-2007 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you can argue wade was better last year, and possibly this year. Admittedly, fine, not as clear-cut as I made it sound, but still. You really think Wade doesn't project to be a hall of famer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's too early to tell. Vince Carter had similar hype at one point in his career. So did TMac. I don't know that either gets in right now. 4 years into one's career is really so early.

capone0 05-21-2007 01:48 AM

A lot of these guys just need more time. There are also chances that young guys emerge and overshadow these players. Nothing is written in stone when you've only been in the NBA for 3 or 4 seasons.

dnh83 05-21-2007 01:48 AM

After doing some research, here's my list:

Locks:
Malone
Shaq
Jordan
Stockton
Hakeem
Duncan
David Robinson
Kobe
Payton
Garnett
Ewing
Iverson
Dirk
Pippen
Kidd
Reggie (Even though the list I'm looking at of All-NBA selections, Reggie only has 3, all 3rd team. Tim Hardaway has 5, including 1 first team, but there's no way he's getting in. I think a case can be made for no Reggie but he's a lock to be voted in.)

Steve Nash is about 95% right now, but just below lock status for me.

T-Mac would probably be a lock if he would just win a [censored] playoff series. I think he'll reach lock very soon.

Lebron and Wade also would have to screw up pretty bad not to make it.

All other young guys I think it's too early to tell. Yeah, Paul, Bosh, Howard, Yao, Amare, Arenas etc. are looking pretty good now but they still need a good 5 years or more and a lot of [censored] can happen between now and then. See: Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill.

So I think these guys fall short:
Grant Hill
Ben Wallace (5 All NBA teams, Mourning 2)
Webber
Mullin
Mutumbo
Jermaine O'Neal
Ray Allen
Billups
Vince Carter
Paul Pierce (too bad, I always liked him and on a better team I think he might be in)

Clarkmeister 05-21-2007 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of these guys just need more time. There are also chances that young guys emerge and overshadow these players. Nothing is written in stone when you've only been in the NBA for 3 or 4 seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Clarkmeister 05-21-2007 01:53 AM

Also, remember that it's the basketball HoF, not the NBA HoF. So Carmelo Anthony, for example, has a leg up if he keeps improving and ever gets motivated to play defense.

j555 05-21-2007 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Webber averaged 27/11/4 1.5 steals / 1.5 blocks in a season. I think that's pretty impressive. No he never maintained it due to injury but he was a top 3 pf for a bunch of years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Webber had some great years with Sacramento but as you said injuries really hurt his cause. He's really lost a lot of games because of them. He never has played an entire 82 game schedule. The consistency just isn't there, but he's definitely borderline at best.

lastchance 05-21-2007 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]
Point taken.

capone0 05-21-2007 01:55 AM

How many career 20/10/4 b-ball players do you know of? There really aren't that many.

Mano 05-21-2007 01:56 AM

Man, when you look at Wilt and Russell's rebound stat's it seems like it has to be a typo (22+ for a career is unimaginable). How is Russels's PER so far off - because they didn't keep track of blocks back then?

capone0 05-21-2007 01:57 AM

Pace.

lastchance 05-21-2007 01:57 AM

Mutombo was basically the 8th or 9th best center in the league for 10 years.

That's a pretty goddamn valuable career, IMHO.

capone0 05-21-2007 01:58 AM

That isn't HOF though.

dnh83 05-21-2007 02:05 AM

Also with HOF debates, you gotta remember that it's humans doing the voting and that certain human emotions come into play. Webber and Vince Carter both have the reputations of being chokers basically. Guys who can pad the stats but when it their team needs them they don't show up. Is it fair? Probably not. But those two are guys who are hurt by their reputations. Whereas, Grant Hill and Mourning are both well spoken, charitable, overcoming injuries/disease etc, and would stand to get a boost from the media when they may not actually be as deserving.

j555 05-21-2007 02:16 AM

Just curious, what does everyone think of the one sided defensive minded player? Mutombo has been mentioned as borderline. Dennis Rodman with all his antics probably won't make it, but he was a hell of a rebounder and has 5 rings. And then there's Ben Wallace who has 4 DPOY. So which of these 3 should make it if any?

kidcolin 05-21-2007 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys think V Carter, R Allen and P Pierce have a chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, no, no (despite my love for PP).

rakes.a.beach 05-21-2007 02:30 AM

Duncan will be a HoFer even if he pops a knee and never plays bball again in his next game.

NozeCandy 05-21-2007 02:30 AM

Chris Webber dominated NBA 2K2 for Dreamcast. He should be in considering he averaged like 60/15/5 during my seasons.