Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Imus returns to Radio and TV - So overdue.. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=541572)

intheflatfield 11-08-2007 06:45 PM

Imus returns to Radio and TV - So overdue..

Am I the only one that's been miserable since he was originally yanked off air?

Personally, I think he got the shaft his return is long overdue...

ThaHero 11-08-2007 07:49 PM

Re: Imus returns to Radio and TV - So overdue..

So I guess you condone what he said? BTW, looks to me like he actually is the beneficiary from the controversy. I have to agree with D.L. Hughley though, he does look like a Werewolf that never finished changing.

tarheeljks 11-08-2007 08:41 PM

he is far from a victim here, why is it long overdue?

barncat 11-08-2007 09:28 PM

jftr..imus has done more for this world then you peeps ever will

odellthurman 11-08-2007 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

examples please brougham - - peace out

tarheeljks 11-08-2007 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't mean he is infallible

katyseagull 11-09-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think he got the shaft his return is long overdue...

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it that you like about Imus? I only caught him a few times when I was flipping through the channels and I didn't see anything that was very interesting. He mumbles a lot. He acts like a grumpy 70 yr old man. I don't exactly know what his show is about. Does he interview politicians or something?

Dominic 11-09-2007 02:20 AM

I think Imus is a no-talent, boring and miserable hack.

That being said, he never should've been yanked off the air for what he said.

intheflatfield 11-09-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is it that you like about Imus? I only caught him a few times when I was flipping through the channels and I didn't see anything that was very interesting. He mumbles a lot. He acts like a grumpy 70 yr old man. I don't exactly know what his show is about. Does he interview politicians or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got a bruatlly honest sense of humor and even though he mumbles he is still very sharp and the toughest interview out there for politicians and newsmakers because he asks questions that normally don't get asked and gets them to say things they would never reveal in a normal interview setting. I am pretty much a conservative, but Imus seems to be capable of confronting hypocrisy, taking shots at both parties with equal venom or biting humour, and yet he does it without seeming to have an agenda. For instance, I can barely stomach MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS and FOX, because all are biased politically yet somehow when he rips on Bush or conservatives it doesn't seem to bother me.

He is cranky and cantankerous and capable of being childish and insensitive, but IMO he is no shock jock of the "Howard Stern" and "Opie and Anthony type shows" He will complain about having no place for his driver to park the Limo, while at the same time he has done more in terms of charity that pretty much anyone as far as Cancer / Autism / Sickle Cell and he operates a ranch for kids with cancer.

Imus is an acquired taste, but one well worth the trouble...

And there is always the potential for a train wreck...

Runkmud 11-09-2007 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Imus is a no-talent, boring and miserable hack.

That being said, he never should've been yanked off the air for what he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. I'm sure he was a big deal in his day, and has done a ton for charity, but I find him totally uninteresting and a drag to listen to, his sense of humor is just unfunny. Although to give him some break, it's his yes man that annoys me most, Christ that guy is horrible. My personal hell would be having to be reincarnated into that guy and having to laugh and agree with everything Imus says.

That said, I still don't think he should have been taken off the air for what he said.

Blarg 11-09-2007 01:22 PM

I have barely listened to the guy, because I didn't find him interesting. WIthout that, anything he does in his private life or for charity doesn't interest me either. That kind of thing can only have much of an impact on me when I already like the celebrity. Huge dirtbags do charity work regularly; heck, it's a social tradition among a certain class whether a person has any really redeeming qualities or not.

katyseagull 11-09-2007 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huge dirtbags do charity work regularly; heck, it's a social tradition among a certain class whether a person has any really redeeming qualities or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting position you have there Blarg. Your comment made me immediately think of Heather Mills who keeps going on TV and radio talking about how much charity work she's done.

I need to listen to Imus to see if I have an opinion of him. I do appreciate the post by Intheflatfield, where he explained what it was that made him like Imus. Thank you for your reply Flatfield.

Blarg 11-09-2007 03:43 PM

Kind of like the idea of "praying in the streets," to me. If the primary goal of doing charity work is to network socially or make a big show of how caring you are, I'm way less than impressed.

I don't know the extent of Imus's charity work, and having some kind of "ranch" for kids might mean he has more than the trivial, self-serving involvement with charity many stars and socialites do. Or not. But the mere mention of charity work by itself isn't generally enough to recommend someone to me unless I already know or want to know more about them anyway.

youtalkfunny 11-09-2007 04:22 PM

I've probably been irrevocably biased by Howard Stern, but I'll post my opinion any way:

I've had occasion to stop my channel surfing to catch a minute or two of Imus when he was simulcast on MSNBC. Each time, I would think, "Who the hell is listening to this? This guy has nothing to say."

I swear, I originally thought the OP was trying a level here. I still think there is a chance that this is the case, because I've never heard or read anyone, anywhere, say that they missed Imus, or were glad to have him back.

intheflatfield 11-09-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kind of like the idea of "praying in the streets," to me. If the primary goal of doing charity work is to network socially or make a big show of how caring you are, I'm way less than impressed.

I don't know the extent of Imus's charity work, and having some kind of "ranch" for kids might mean he has more than the trivial, self-serving involvement with charity many stars and socialites do. Or not. But the mere mention of charity work by itself isn't generally enough to recommend someone to me unless I already know or want to know more about them anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understand how one can think this on the surface, however, He is not an Angelina Jolie or Madonna, and he doesn't just collect / give $$ to charity, he actually runs a working cattle ranch and lives there with the children (cancer / siblings) who work on the ranch participate in rodeos, ride horses. Both he and his wife have pounded the Autism drums ad nauseum on his show despite the fact that they were criticized by his fans at times. Also, The power that he wields inside the beltway is massive. He pretty much singlehandedly carried the torch on the Walter Reed scandal and is one of primary donators to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes fun.

I know I am sounding like a fan boy. Imus is completly self centered in some respects, but this is not one of them.

btw, I thought the follwowing was a good article re: his return from a while back..enjoy FWIW

web page

ps Kinky on Imus web page

daveT 11-09-2007 05:11 PM

I never gave the guy a listen. In fact, I think he gained more fame for the slams he got on "Private Parts." Incidentally, I used to hold the same thoughts as youtalkfunny about Stern. I can see if I gave Imus a listen, he would probably be interesting. Hate to give credit to people, but he is on of the top 10 djs for a reason, and none of the other ones I know or knew of weren't bad to listen to.

I also agree that he should have never been kicked off the air for that statement. They should have had Al Sharpton ask all the white-bashers to go off the air as well.

Blarg 11-09-2007 05:42 PM

How do you guys feel about The Dog?

Tha Villain 11-09-2007 06:15 PM

Maybe he should have been yanked, maybe he shouldn't have.

But they had to do something, and Imus was going to be the fall guy, whether he deserved it or not. They were getting way too much pressure from activist groups.

wet work 11-10-2007 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering he had about 5 listeners and the other 4 probably don't give a rat's ass. I'm going to say yes.

youtalkfunny 11-10-2007 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He pretty much singlehandedly carried the torch on the Walter Reed scandal

[/ QUOTE ]

I promise you that is not the case. Who told you this? Imus?

For those of you who don't listen to Stern, Stern had a funny line about Imus' "charity ranch for kids".

"These poor kids are sick, and he makes them work his ranch! What kind of treat is that for a sick kid?"

(Stern hates Imus. In his old age, Stern has really toned down the anger in his rhetoric, yet he's saved a spot in that angry corner of his brain for Imus.)

Rootabager 11-10-2007 05:20 AM

i use to see his show on msnbc in the mornings. It was bad because he is old and talks too slow. What he says seems ok for a news/political type show, but he talks so slow that it's unwatchable.

(mumbling makes everything worse)

Stern also makes fun of him for being such a cowboy now. He says when he was younger the was the furthest thing from a cowboy.

Blarg 11-10-2007 03:18 PM

The cowboy schtick is one of the more annoying in our culture, because very few of us are anything remotely close to a cowboy or ever have been. Cultural slumming basically. But at least Imus didn't invent it; it's become one of our major cultural tropes, which goes to show how much we like living in imagination land, I guess. And Imus's slow delivery is definitely a turn-off.

katyseagull 11-10-2007 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you guys feel about The Dog?

[/ QUOTE ]

About The Dog...I just watched the Larry King interview with Dog. Well he's very remorseful isn't he? Probably because he just lost his livlihood. He's an interesting guy and seems to be very intelligent. Did he say he had 12 kids?! They sure don't love him they way they should. It seems two of his sons have sold information to the tabloids for quick money. My guess is that he's extremely self-centered and overbearing and I'm sure his kids felt lost in that big shadow. I don't know, that's just my take on it. It was weird seeing his oldest son seated next to him. You could tell that he wanted back in his father's good graces but that he was not there yet.

I don't think Dog should lose his show over this. Is he racist? Probably.

What do you think of the Dog Blarg?

zasterguava 11-11-2007 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He pretty much singlehandedly carried the torch on the Walter Reed scandal

[/ QUOTE ]

I promise you that is not the case. Who told you this? Imus?

For those of you who don't listen to Stern, Stern had a funny line about Imus' "charity ranch for kids".

"These poor kids are sick, and he makes them work his ranch! What kind of treat is that for a sick kid?"

(Stern hates Imus. In his old age, Stern has really toned down the anger in his rhetoric, yet he's saved a spot in that angry corner of his brain for Imus.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Stern is so awesome though, that he attracts fans from accross the globe like myself.

BTW didn't Stern play a clip recently of Imus saying something like "that hooked-nose jew needs to be put in an oven" ; or was that a doctored? Also, they claim he used to call Robin a "n-gger" and an ape and stuff. Sounds like a douche to me; but then again its not like there isnt an audience for that sort of vile bs.

zasterguava 11-11-2007 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The cowboy schtick is one of the more annoying in our culture, because very few of us are anything remotely close to a cowboy or ever have been. Cultural slumming basically. But at least Imus didn't invent it; it's become one of our major cultural tropes, which goes to show how much we like living in imagination land, I guess. And Imus's slow delivery is definitely a turn-off.

[/ QUOTE ]

25% of cowboys were black so maybe Imus should respect his idols more.

intheflatfield 11-13-2007 12:43 PM

FWIW - Imus was Harold Ford Jr's biggest supporter and shilled for him shamelessly during his candidacy, and he spoke out on the obvious racism during that campaign as well.

Say what you want to about IMUS, but to brand him as racist, is intellectually lazy IMO. I think a lot of people that critticized him as being a racist at the time had never even heard his show.

Groupthink is a hell of a drug..

Just Saying..

katyseagull 11-13-2007 02:04 PM

I like Harold Ford Jr! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I don't hear much about him anymore, wonder why? If Imus is a HF fan than I will keep an open mind about him.

But I think his comments about the girl's basketball team were stupid. I'm beginning to think that a lot of people are just smug as all hell and have awful manners. Frankly it pisses me off. That said I don't really think he should have lost his show over the comments but maybe he deserved a fine for being stupid.

Blarg 11-13-2007 02:38 PM

This may sound like a stretch, but I think whatever "society" is deserves a lot of blame for this, and we're kidding ourselves if we just point a finger at Imus or The Dog like they're so different from us and their behavior so abberant from the norm. It has become much too acceptable to call women b*tches and ho's, and say "my [censored]" this and "[censored]" that. Frankly, that stuff kinda stinks. When we create a social environment that endorses speaking and thinking like that, it's hardly surprising when public figures come along for the ride. After all, they only do so because our culture has gotten coarse enough to celebrate talking like that in the first place. I sincerely doubt Imus was raised by his parents to call people ho's. Imus is just the canary in the coal mine showing how toxic and idiotic a vast swath of the public mindset has become.

katyseagull 11-13-2007 02:42 PM

i couldn't agree more.

edited to say --

However, a man his age should know better. (I will type more on this later Blarg.)

intheflatfield 11-13-2007 03:17 PM

Katy I agree with you, what he did was stupid, and he has acknowledged that as well.

What's interesting is that I don't neccessarily think this is about Imus as much as it is the resutlt of the ruthlessly agressive blogosphere who go nuts at the sign of blood in the water and the 24 news cycle that is always requiring new victims. I mean everything is on you tube, there are no sacred cows, and unfortunately this includes, ironically, freedom of speech.

intheflatfield 11-13-2007 03:25 PM

In this new instant media (including blog) environment, it's like an out of control thread, once someone has been singled out, it just becomes an avalanche, that has no sense of it's own scope.

Blarg 11-13-2007 03:25 PM

I don't think freedom of speech is the issue here.

intheflatfield 11-13-2007 03:43 PM

not specifically, I was speaking more to the fact that people in the puclic eye, are so scrutinized in everything they say, especially politicians and celebrities and the ensuing rush to judgement can be so servere that people now shy away from saying anything that might be conceived as controversial and I can't seee how this won't have a negative effect on speech, and even though, I don't think that is its intentional the result is the same.

Blarg 11-13-2007 04:13 PM

I'm still reserving the right to say I think Imus effed this up pretty badly. He's being keelhauled for lousy judgment, not for daring to say something true or fair or expressing a political or philosophical opinion which any free society should allow by definition.

His judgment deserves some form of censure and disapproval, though whether taking him off the air is excessive or not can certainly be questioned. His freedom of speech isn't really at issue both because he works for a private firm and because he is not a journalist covering a news event nor being forced even by voluntary omission not to fully do so. He is free to say whatever he wants at home or when his salary is not being paid by someone else, until he's blue in the face, if he likes. While on someone else's dime, he can expect to have to conform to some sort of standards -- likely a morals clause written specifically into his contract, as is common with sports stars and other celebrities. The standards in this case had nothing to do with telling the truth about anything.

So not calling kid's ho's is not about censorship. It's just about not being a dick.

If Imus never called another person a nappy-headed ho in his life, the world would not be in any way the worse for it, nor would his conscience. If his calling kids nappy-headed ho's were to somehow wind up being completely validated, it would not strike a blow for free speech.

intheflatfield 11-13-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His freedom of speech isn't really at issue both because he works for a private firm and because he is not a journalist covering a news event nor being forced even by voluntary omission not to fully do so

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg, I wasn't referring to his freedom of speech, I was talking about ours, in a broader sense.

If the politicians, public figures or the people that report on them, or entertainers / comedians for that matter, censor themselves, because of the intolerance that currently permeates the current socio-political climate, that can't be good

What Imus said was offensife, but it was said in a satirical context (not excusing it). I just think we have become an intolerant society and being so speech cannot help but be diluted. That was my point.

Franchise 60 11-13-2007 05:48 PM

So its bad to be intolerable to intolerance? Amiright?

Blarg 11-13-2007 05:58 PM

Diluting or eliminating some speech doesn't strike me as a problem, when the speech has nothing redeeming about it. And whether it's self-instigated or imposed upon a radio celebrity by his boss and/or sponsors. Contrarily, if Imus were to rip on one political party or another, I'd be all in favor of his right to do so no matter how idiotic it might be. But just calling people nasty names doesn't strike me as making either our freedom or our level of public discourse more robust. Nor more enjoyable or interesting either, really.

I mean, what passes for funny, smart, or cool needs to be a little better than calling school kids nappy headed ho's. That's just weak.

I kinda doubt Imus would have called a bunch of white kids ho's, too. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Overall, I think this was really an issue about a guy being an ass, and in so doing, putting his sponsors and his bosses in hot water unnecessarily as a result. The freedom of speech thing seems like a red herring tossed into the mix.

youtalkfunny 11-14-2007 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Harold Ford Jr! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I don't hear much about him anymore, wonder why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the Ford family is to Memphis as the Kennedys are to Massachusetts, or the Daley's to Chicago--only the Fords are more pervasive in the political scene; less competent; and more corrupt. It seems like once a month, a political hack named Ford gets indicted for one form of corruption or another.

I think Harold Jr is laying low for a while, waiting for some of the stink that's coming off his family to blow over. Again.

katyseagull 11-15-2007 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think Harold Jr is laying low for a while, waiting for some of the stink that's coming off his family to blow over. Again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping that Harold Jr. would run for president one day. He's a great speaker and can get his ideas across so well. Pretty disappointing to hear that his family has been involved in corruption [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

katyseagull 11-15-2007 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

His judgment deserves some form of censure and disapproval, though whether taking him off the air is excessive or not can certainly be questioned. His freedom of speech isn't really at issue both because he works for a private firm and because he is not a journalist covering a news event nor being forced even by voluntary omission not to fully do so. He is free to say whatever he wants at home or when his salary is not being paid by someone else, until he's blue in the face, if he likes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue anymore. I used to agree with you, that people should be able to say whatever they want, no matter how idiotic, and it was up to the listeners and sponsers to use good judgment and choose not to listen (or in the case of sponsers, to pull their advertising). But our world has become so dumb and from where I stand I see a lot of hatred combined with middle school mentality. It's no longer the minority of people who embrace locker room behavior, it's the majority. People love it and think it's hilarious. It's everywhere. You read all the time about school teachers and principals behaving badly, bosses in the workplace acting like fools, people at the office referring to their coworkers as bitches and ho's, even congressmen acting like the lowest common denominator. It's so commonplace that no one seems to care at all, in fact, lots of us are getting down in the gutter.

Not only do a lot of adults not have any class, they are downright abrasive. I think it's only going to get worse not better. People right now look at the Imus comment and laugh. No one cares really. It will only get worse not better.