Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   2007 MLS Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383182)

TheRover 04-19-2007 07:05 PM

2007 MLS Thread

well, since this is probably the most important year ever for MLS I guess it deserves it's own thread.

For the 3-4 of us who care, there's a match on ESPN tonight.

mmbt0ne 04-19-2007 07:14 PM

Re: 2007 MLS Thread

NE at Columbus tonight.

NE should win unless Schelotto plays, then maybe Crew can score a goal. Either way, the stadium will probably be the star tonight. First SSS and one of the nicest until Colorado and LA got their new places.

TheRover 04-19-2007 07:18 PM

I was just going to make a post that Columbus sucks and this probably wouldn't be worth watching. N/M that for now.

Crowd looks poor.

man, lot's of crap defense on those goals

drexah 04-19-2007 07:42 PM

god this is sooo hard to watch after watching so much EPL and UEFA action lately. maybe if we still had dempsey this wouldn't be so bad.

drexah 04-19-2007 07:48 PM

well, at least we still have twellman...2-1

HajiShirazu 04-19-2007 07:54 PM

This is horrible soccer compared to what I'm used to watching, but it's still way better than any other sport solely due to the lack of commercials.
Man, right in the face! GJ Herron.

mmbt0ne 04-19-2007 07:54 PM

Thing is, MLS has good forwards. Very good forwards actually. Certainly on par with any 2nd division in Europe, and with the rare player like Beasley was and Twellman/Ching/Altiodre are that can play at any level.

There was a good post about this today on That's on Point

The problem is the other positions. The defenders are bad, which obviously helps to make the forwards look good. However, the midfielders are awful but improving as a whole. If you can find a guy with good touch on his passes, and the ability to receive a pass you will likely find a good goal scorer on that team too. Look at how DeRosario has moved from forward to an attacking midfielder and how much that has helped Houston.

drexah 04-19-2007 08:03 PM

Wow that elbow was absolutely blatant and ridiculous. Herron is a piece of [censored], he overreacted so much to the foul Heap had on him, what a pussy. Hopefully he gets suspended for at least a few games.

Also, holy [censored] @ the Messi goal. It got removed from youtube but i'll try to find it again. No joke I got chills watching it. Basically the exact same goal Maradona had but even better. Easily top 3 goals ever scored.

ThaSaltCracka 04-19-2007 09:13 PM

I actually liked what I saw out of Columbus' two forwards in their exhibition game against Dallas.

Anywho, since this is the official MLS thread, here is the list of new big name players to the league.

Beckham(LA Galaxy)
Blanco(Chicago)
Guillermo(Columbus)
Reyna(NYRB)
Angel(NYRB)
Emiliano(DC United)

Some other players to keep an eye on.
De Rosirio
Moreno
Gomez
Twellman
Ching
Donovan
Beckerman
Altidore
Cooper

BIG BIG year for MLS.

Green Kool Aid 04-19-2007 09:18 PM

Revolution might be my second favorite Boston team now.

Soccer is really growing on me for some reason.

ThaSaltCracka 04-19-2007 09:23 PM

NE has some good players. Did they bring in a exemption player?

TheRover 04-19-2007 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Revolution might be my second favorite Boston team now.

Soccer is really growing on me for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably because its awesome. MLS' sudden potential to entertain is quite nice as well.

Green Kool Aid 04-19-2007 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NE has some good players. Did they bring in a exemption player?

[/ QUOTE ]

All i know is that whenever I've seen Twellman's goals they have been sick, and he seems like a cool guy when they interview him.

It's mostly because I'm beyond sick of the Red Sox and would like something to follow at this time of year.

ThaSaltCracka 04-19-2007 09:39 PM

yeah its too bad Dempsey doesn't play for them anymore, but NE should be competitive.

ArtMonkRules 04-19-2007 11:09 PM

What the hell is going on With DC? They looked so sharp in the CCC, especially considering they were still in preaseason mode when the teams they were facing were half-way through their seasons. With Emilio coming in from Hondurus, weren't they supposed to be an MLS 'Super-Team'?

Nothing super about getting crushed by the formerly pathetic KC Wizards. Although I will say its exciting to see Eddie Johnson looking SHARP... especially with big international competitions coming up.

mmbt0ne 04-19-2007 11:10 PM

If you want to watch a team, Houston is going to be really really good. They have Ching up front with De Rosario and now Mulrooney in midfield to feed the ball.

ArtMonkRules 04-19-2007 11:15 PM

Colorado is going to tough to beat in that stadium. It's a mile high, and the field is a seemingly a mile wide, so visiting teams who aren't used to the altitude, and the HUGE field (the largest FIFA allows) are going to be holding on for dear life in the last half hour of these games.

mmbt0ne 04-19-2007 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell is going on With DC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Troy Perkins is [censored] himself. He needs to figure out what's going on quick.

Fred has had very limited playing time and Ben Olsen hasn't quite settled in yet.

Also, whoever was playing the right side mid last game (Erpen maybe?) was doing a horrible job of staying on the outside. He kept crashing in to the middle and leaving 30% of the field absolutely useless to set up an attack.

When they moved Olsen over there and brought Fred in to play on the right side as well their offense started to look much better. With Moreno and Emilio up front goals are going to be easy to come by so long as you can set up the attack.

ThaSaltCracka 04-19-2007 11:18 PM

Yeah Colorado is going to be good this year. Their squad spent 3 weeks in London with Arsenal before the season began. Beckerman is a solid player, even though his hair is gay as hell.

ArtMonkRules 04-19-2007 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What the hell is going on With DC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Troy Perkins is [censored] himself. He needs to figure out what's going on quick.

Fred has had very limited playing time and Ben Olsen hasn't quite settled in yet.

Also, whoever was playing the right side mid last game (Erpen maybe?) was doing a horrible job of staying on the outside. He kept crashing in to the middle and leaving 30% of the field absolutely useless to set up an attack.

When they moved Olsen over there and brought Fred in to play on the right side as well their offense started to look much better. With Moreno and Emilio up front goals are going to be easy to come by so long as you can set up the attack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree Fred needs more playing time, as for Erpin, he's definately had a rough time of it, but its not entirely his fault. Teams are exploiting DC's formation as they have 3 defenders, and the Midfield is not giving them any support in the back. They are owning the flanks. They gotta change the formation... I thinks thats the biggest problem.

TheRover 04-19-2007 11:24 PM

Yeah, DC should be very good attacking. Fred is going to be a beast. I've watched some of him (and will some more if I ever get around to it) in the A-League last season. He was usually one of the best out there.

mmbt0ne 04-19-2007 11:34 PM

Has anybody used mlslive.tv? It's $19.99 for all of the games plus on demand highlights. I think that the video is pretty small though, at least when you're on a 1600x1200 monitor. Of course, the other option is the $79 Direct Kick package, and I don't know if I'm up for that.

ThaSaltCracka 04-19-2007 11:45 PM

Do you still not have FSC?

mmbt0ne 04-19-2007 11:48 PM

No, that got fixed but that's only one game a week. Plus one game on ESPN2 and one of Telefutura still leaves me with 2 games I could watch.

TheRover 04-19-2007 11:52 PM

isn't there a weekly match on ESPN/ABC Sat. or Sun.?

ThaSaltCracka 04-19-2007 11:59 PM

hmph, seems like waste, especially since you could probably find streams online.

KDawg 04-20-2007 12:07 AM

well, I really have liked what I have seen in the couple of matches so far that I've seen. It seems like the MLS is opening up the play, and though it may not be champagne football, at least it's attacking football

ThaSaltCracka 04-20-2007 12:08 AM

could it be that all that MLS is lacking is PLAYMAKERS in the center of the field?

valenzuela 04-20-2007 12:23 AM

in to make fun of MLS.

soccer is about passion and the MLS has no passion at all.

ThaSaltCracka 04-20-2007 12:24 AM

Because it doesn't have the history and therefor the larger and more rabid fan base. Give it some time. I would bet most didn't think it would have lasted this long and arguably its at its strongest right now.

KDawg 04-20-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
could it be that all that MLS is lacking is PLAYMAKERS in the center of the field?

[/ QUOTE ]

i definetly agree with this. outside of amado guevarra and dewayne d'rosario there is little creativity in the midfield

ThaSaltCracka 04-20-2007 01:31 AM

makes me wonder if Becks will be playing there our out wide..... FWIW, I think MLS would be a great place for older CM' to move to. Pace is slower, but its supported by speed up front on the wings. Someone with some vision and coupled with players making runs, and bam, you have some serious attacking.

La Brujita 04-20-2007 08:54 PM

over under on how many games reyna plays in?

20ish?

im excited for the red bulls season.

ArtMonkRules 04-20-2007 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in to make fun of MLS.

soccer is about passion and the MLS has no passion at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

MLS has a good core of VERY passionate fans. Case in point is DC United's "La Barra Brava". The fans may not be as intense as Europe and South America, but give it some time... America is still learning when it comes to football, but we've come so far already in the last few decades, I have high hopes for it.

mmbt0ne 04-20-2007 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

20ish?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the under and say it won't matter.

Also, props to NY fans turning out 8k strong in their home game despite weather I would rather kill myself in than sit through.

AJW 04-20-2007 09:20 PM

I think he managed about 1 in 4 when he was with city the team looked better when he played though

ThaSaltCracka 04-20-2007 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

20ish?

[/ QUOTE ]I'll take the over. I think he played like 5 or 6 games for Man City this year so his legs should be fresh!

ThaSaltCracka 04-20-2007 09:22 PM

Beckham all ready making an impact in LA

Good news for the Galaxy and sure to open the eyes of other spending weary clubs.

ArtMonkRules 04-20-2007 09:25 PM

Sweet.

ThaSaltCracka 04-20-2007 09:29 PM

that money is quite alarming isn't it. FWIW, those who are new to the Pound, its worth roughly twice as much as the $. So those are some good numbers for LA. The revenue for when he actually starts showing up will be immense. We just need more players white people have heard of! No offense to Blanco and Guillermo, two legends, but getting Zidane here is a necessity. NYRB must be kicking themselves for not paying out the ass for Ronaldo. Oh well, Angel and Reyna are close combined [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]