Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Meditation and psychedelics poll (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546436)

Nielsio 11-14-2007 10:40 PM

Meditation and psychedelics poll

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6...blotterdn1.jpg

Nielsio 11-14-2007 11:23 PM

Re: Meditation and psychedelics poll

I'd be interested in the voters of either extreme ofcourse.

Me: {6-25, many times}

vhawk01 11-14-2007 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested in the voters of either extreme ofcourse.

Me: {6-25, many times}

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldnt surprise you that this doesnt surprise us. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Phil153 11-14-2007 11:41 PM

Never done psychadelic drugs for the same reason I don't own a Real Doll.

And I'm in a constant state of meditation.

Case Closed 11-15-2007 12:18 AM

I have done a psychedelic before, and I want to get to some meditation, but I am too busy.

madnak 11-15-2007 12:20 AM

Dammit, I need to go out and get some LSD. I haven't done enough drugs at all.

madnak 11-15-2007 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Never done psychadelic drugs for the same reason I don't own a Real Doll.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't afford it?

WhiteKnight 11-15-2007 02:27 AM

26+ but never meditated...
Something tells me I'd have a hell of a time forcing all the thoughts out of my brain while tripping. I believe a precept of meditation is keeping a blank mind? Ideas tear through your head like no tomorrow...

Case Closed 11-15-2007 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's really an interesting experience and it was nothing like what I expected. I would suggest that everyone try it if they are in a mature and safe point in their life.

foal 11-15-2007 03:02 AM

0, many times.

the weirdest drug I've done is dxm.

Case Closed 11-15-2007 03:04 AM

Neilso,

Have you ever tried DMT? For that matter, has anyone on this board tried it?

scorcher863 11-15-2007 03:27 AM

I took mushrooms for the first time a month ago. I have not been the same ever since.

Case Closed 11-15-2007 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I took mushrooms for the first time a month ago. I have not been the same ever since.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could you please expand upon this? Once I finish up my paper, I am going to write out a mini report on my experience since it was only a week ago.

DougShrapnel 11-15-2007 03:44 AM

26+
I also answered that I meditate a lot. That's not exactly true, it's more of a cross between meditation and self-hypnosis.

Phil153 11-15-2007 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Something tells me I'd have a hell of a time forcing all the thoughts out of my brain while tripping. I believe a precept of meditation is keeping a blank mind? Ideas tear through your head like no tomorrow...

[/ QUOTE ]
The idea is not to stop the traffic, but to pull over on the curb and watch it pass by.

SinkRox 11-15-2007 04:04 AM

Im 6-25. The psychedelics were shrooms and salvia.

I wish I had the balls to try LSD and DMT but didnt ever think I had a tough enuogh mind for it tbh. I'm happy knowing I will get to experience DMT one day though (when I'm dying).

Havent done any 'proper' meditation but many many times Ive gone through relaxation techniques / self-hypnosis.

vhawk01 11-15-2007 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's really an interesting experience and it was nothing like what I expected. I would suggest that everyone try it if they are in a mature and safe point in their life.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was basically my philosophy on real drugs as I was growing up, I essentially didnt trust myself or my surroundings enough to put myself in dangerous spots. Now I think its pretty unlikely that I would ever find myself in the right situation to experiment with drugs like that, which is somewhat unfortunate. I have no moral or ethical qualms with the idea of trying some real drugs, I simply have a ton to lose and little access.

Nielsio 11-15-2007 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The suggestion is not to meditate *while* doing drugs, lol. They are not one thing (they are two).

But yes, the mind is never still by itself. There are thoughts rushing through constantly. The idea is to have a break from all that and to see what happens then. The experience is very pleasurable, and also gives you a more clear view about yourself and what you are doing in your daily life.

Brahm uses the following metaphor: try holding a spoon entirely still in your hand. You can't do it. If you want to hold the spoon still, you just have to put it down.

Nielsio 11-15-2007 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Neilso,

Have you ever tried DMT? For that matter, has anyone on this board tried it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I've used different kinds of shrooms.

What matters a lot is also *how* you do the experience. If you know how to deal with the mindset.

After I learned about gameplaying and non-gameplaying, the experience went through the roof for me. So much so that I only needed a small dose of drugs, and after (now) I need no drugs to bring about the same feelings. When I reached that stage I stopped using the drugs.

I relate strongly with this girl in that way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldu6yDVNYzA

Nielsio 11-15-2007 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a good experience I take it then?

If you want to explore the new mindset more I suggest going here, and starting at the bottom (oldest):
http://www.bswa.org/audio/podcast/AjahnBrahm.rss.php

scorcher863 11-15-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It hard to put into words what I've experienced, but I'll try my best:

I would definetely say it was a positive experience. I'm typically a loner and mildly introverted but the following day or two I felt a strong need for connection. I've had the same feeling ever since, only slightly diminished after falling back into some of my old patterns.

Also, I've had a mental obsession for smoking marijuana for about 4 1/2 years, everyday. I've always talked about quitting and knew how unhealthy and demotivating smoking it is, but I never had the strength(experience?) to quit. [There is much more to the story - cliffnotes: self medication because of painful and unstable childhood]
Now, ever since my trip, I have not had any of those urges.
It's sounds so cliche, but it's like im back to living life.

I've also been 100X more focused in school, but I attribute that to quitting marijuana, not taking shrooms.

The only appropriate word I can use to describe the experience is awareness. My best guess for the cause of all these changes is insights derived from experiencing another perspective on myself (either that or an extreme placebo effect lol).

I would definetely recommend anybody to try mushrooms once. It is enlighting, especially the last hour when you are in between tripping hard and coherency. Oh and all the crazy colors were pretty sweet too.

Nielsio 11-15-2007 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It hard to put into words what I've experienced, but I'll try my best:

I would definetely say it was a positive experience. I'm typically a loner and mildly introverted but the following day or two I felt a strong need for connection. I've had the same feeling ever since, only slightly diminished after falling back into some of my old patterns.

Also, I've had a mental obsession for smoking marijuana for about 4 1/2 years, everyday. I've always talked about quitting and knew how unhealthy and demotivating smoking it is, but I never had the strength(experience?) to quit. [There is much more to the story - cliffnotes: self medication because of painful and unstable childhood]
Now, ever since my trip, I have not had any of those urges.
It's sounds so cliche, but it's like im back to living life.

I've also been 100X more focused in school, but I attribute that to quitting marijuana, not taking shrooms.

The only appropriate word I can use to describe the experience is awareness. My best guess for the cause of all these changes is insights derived from experiencing another perspective on myself (either that or an extreme placebo effect lol).

I would definetely recommend anybody to try mushrooms once. It is enlighting, especially the last hour when you are in between tripping hard and coherency. Oh and all the crazy colors were pretty sweet too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meditation is for you my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY97P07PMho

scorcher863 11-15-2007 02:24 PM

Thanks nielso im going to watch those videos when I get a chance

chasing.idyll 11-15-2007 05:48 PM

I've done salvia twice and try to meditate a lot.
Salvia is very powerful, reality dissolves and you're taken to a whole different realm. Meditating keeps me sane.

tame_deuces 11-16-2007 08:24 AM

I'm boring I guess. I don't do psychedelics and I don't meditate.

But I have this drive to create, though it has lessened a bit when I got older. I make music, play instruments, compose, listen to music, write novels and work with photographs.

When I do this often puts me in some weird state where I can't feel time flying by, and I don't notice hunger, thirst or sleepyness...it sort of freaks out family/friends/gfs sometimes because if I don't notice them unless they push me or shout really hard, and if I snap out I'm always confused and frustrated for some weird reason. In the past it could last for sometimes up to 10-12 hours at a time.

Maybe I'm just obsessive or it is something everybody experiences, I dunno. I don't know if it resembles meditation either, but it sure is relaxing (apart from snapping out and being mad thirsty).

Anybody else experience similar things?

foal 11-16-2007 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to the point of getting in a trance-like state where I don't notice people, but to a certain extent yes. If I'm working on an creative project that I'm into I could wind up forgetting to sleep and working all night. I wish I did that more. It's a good feeling, but it's been awhile.

Tweed _Man 11-16-2007 12:45 PM

Do shrooms too many times and you will never look at time the same way again.

Edit: oh, and twice I have got myself into the state where I believe that I AM the universe/multiverse

chasing.idyll 11-16-2007 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely.
When I'm alone in my room, I'll blast music, start dancing through all of my activities - cleaning my room, cleaning up my real/digital desktop, checking/writing emails. Definitely enter a trance state where I bounce around the room like a maniac, from one thing to another, and everything flows very, very efficiently and there's kind of a harmony to everything. Things fall into place and I'm only half-conscious (sometimes it's like watching a movie of myself.) Fluid, musical, yet somehow I execute everything with a machine-like accuracy.

Weird.

eof 11-18-2007 04:55 AM

I have shroomed/taken lsd/salvia 20-30 times.. maybe more? and meditated a LOT.

i wanted to comment on people not clearing their mind when meditating. this isn't always possible but it often is, well sometimes is. its very very pleasurable and like ahhhhhhhhhh omg (literally) why don't i always do this. meditation is for everyone obv. i think so about psychedelics as well. i took them mostly when i was immature 18-21 years old. i am only 24 (25 in a month) now but much more mature and stable.. although i attribute a lot of that to intense psychedelic experiences.

salvia is the craziest [censored] imo. lsd should be taken at a show or with lots of other tripping people, mushrooms should be taken outside in the woods. salvia.. well [censored] if i know.

Metric 11-18-2007 05:22 AM

No interest in either.

eof 11-18-2007 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No interest in either.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at reading the post and responding to it

Metric 11-18-2007 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No interest in either.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at reading the post and responding to it

[/ QUOTE ]

lol? REALLY?

ChrisV 11-18-2007 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6-25. The psychedelics were... salvia.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I wish I had the balls to try LSD.... but didnt ever think I had a tough enuogh mind for it tbh

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait...

what?

Nielsio 11-18-2007 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No interest in either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you religious by any chance?