Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Oil Kitchen Fire Accident (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=277053)

skedaddle 12-06-2006 10:19 PM

Oil Kitchen Fire Accident

Last night i was trying to cook somethihng new; i decided to cook Chinese food.

I made the marinade and the sauce was on low. And i put a full bottle of Peanut Oil in a large pot to deep fry the Seasme Chicken i was making.

Well it just so happens that Desperate Housewives is on. So i go to watch it, waiting for the peanut oil to come to a boil. Well after a short period of time, my wife notices smoke in the kitchen.

I go inside the kitchen and the pot with the oil has lots of smoke coming from it. This was the order of events that happened next.

1) I turned the heat off
2) i tried to take the pot off the burner,
Some how the pot got stuck to the burner, i give a little yank and it comes off and i palce it in the middle of the stove
3) the inside of the pot instantly goes on fire(wtf?) ( 1-2" flame inside the pot, on top of the oil )

I panic which brings me to my brain dead plan of "quick get it out, i need water"

4) i turn the faucet on
5) i place the pot filled with oil on fire under the faucet, standing back and holding it with my right hand.

.......... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

KABOOOMM..a flame big enough to make Universal Studios proud ( about 3-4 ft wide and touching the ceiling )

the burnt of fire gets on my right hand i drop the pot of oil into the sink. and run outside to get the fire extinguisher.

Just so happens that the little metal stick to break the glass is gone!

I decide to punch it I give it a slight punch with my right hand( i'm right handed ) and thats when i realize my right hand is in pain.

I punch it with my left hand then as hard as i can get the fire extingusiher put out the fire

Just in time for the sprinklers to go off. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So now the alarms are already on and i'm outside my door neighbors are all concerned and dialed 911, thats when i notice my right hand is burnt, and my left hand is gushing blood and a peice of my finger is dangling.

Fire trucks come turn the water off about a good 10 minutes later. Ambulence tells me to go to the hospital and ask if i want a ride. I decline and tell them i'll go myself.

I flooded my neighbor downstairs really badly and the fire man comments on the lack off metal stick that caused me to get my hand [censored] up was bad on the complex.

Yada Yada Yada, i got lots of stitches and 2nd degree burns. I do have pics but they look scary so i'm not sure if you want to see them.

Let me just say burns hurt really bad.

I filed an accident report with the complex to pay for pain/suffering/bills for the lack of the metal stick which is still pending.

I had to move out of my apartment because all the floors was flooded and the damge to the kitchen.

edfurlong 12-06-2006 10:22 PM

Re: Oil Kitchen Fire Accident

Next time put a lid on it. I guess that's information that would have been more useful to you yesterday though. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

kipin 12-06-2006 10:23 PM

Cliff Notes: You burned your kitchen down and missed the ending to Desperate Housewives.

Sounds like a bad day.

Oh yeah... pics please!

BCPVP 12-06-2006 10:31 PM

http://img.timeinc.net/realsimple/i/...bking_soda.jpg

DemonDeac 12-06-2006 10:35 PM

seriously??

desperate housewives???

o and....pics please

skedaddle 12-06-2006 10:40 PM

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1600/cutbr7.jpg

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9002/burnsdm9.jpg

Jam 12-06-2006 10:59 PM

nice blisters

NhlNut 12-06-2006 11:12 PM

Turn heat off. Leave alone, unless there are active flames.

neuroman 12-06-2006 11:15 PM

Damn, dude. That's pretty wretched. Sometimes it's hard to think straight in a crisis.

tshort 12-06-2006 11:16 PM

That sucks, but I'll have to admit I was laughing at how you handled the entire thing.

I would suggest getting the following:

1. A lid
2. Baking soda
3. DVR so you can pause TV shows

edfurlong 12-06-2006 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That sucks, but I'll have to admit I was laughing at how you handled the entire thing.

I would suggest getting the following:

1. A lid
2. Baking soda
3. DVR so you can pause TV shows
4. A little metal stick

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimbo 12-06-2006 11:22 PM

Your post reminds me of the TV commercial where the frantic customer smashes the window in the large glass booth to release the tech guy to repair his Server/PC when he could have just turmed the handle. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jimbo

ckboddic 12-06-2006 11:42 PM

serious blisters yeah jesus

Runkmud 12-06-2006 11:52 PM

Ouch, sorry man, that looks nasty.

On the other hand, you should have learned never to put out a grease fire with water well before marriage.

skedaddle 12-06-2006 11:56 PM

What do u guys think about the lawsuit? no metal stick = fire code regulation.

tshort 12-07-2006 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I filed an accident report with the complex to pay for pain/suffering/bills for the lack of the metal stick which is still pending.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize that 98% of the entire ordeal is due to your ignorance and negligence.

You are telling me you couldn't find anything in the vicinity to break the glass with?

edfurlong 12-07-2006 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do u guys think about the lawsuit? no metal stick = fire code regulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you wrecked their building and now you're suing? Awesome. Aren't you supposed to have a fire extinguisher in your apartment?

skedaddle 12-07-2006 12:03 AM

i have renters insurance, so it didnt cost them a dime, they probably made money cause of it.

And there should of beena little metal stick or a way to open the fire extingusisher door, what was i suppose to do run around run inside my apartment find something to break it run back outside break it then take out the fire?

i had to get to it as fast as i could

chesspain 12-07-2006 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize that 98% of the entire ordeal is due to your ignorance and negligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

illeagle 12-07-2006 12:10 AM

I'd talk to a lawyer about it if I were in OP's place.

cbloom 12-07-2006 12:13 AM

lolo man those burns look nasty but that reads like an "I Love Lucy" episode or something. Put the flaming oil in a stream of water; priceless! This is why they need to keep home ec in school!!

Big Poppa Smurf 12-07-2006 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are telling me you couldn't find anything in the vicinity to break the glass with?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd bet at least 50% of this forum wouldn't be thinking all too straight when their kitchen was on fire either

RunDownHouse 12-07-2006 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd bet at least 50% of this forum wouldn't be thinking all too straight when their kitchen was on fire either

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd bet most of us would think straight enough not to fix an oil fire with water.

Also, I'm a little shocked at how he not only got peanut oil hot enough to smoke on an apartment stove, but so hot that smoke was boiling out from the kitchen to the living room.

entertainme 12-07-2006 03:13 AM

Ouch! Hope you heal up quickly!

I once set a pan on the stove with oil in it that unbeknownst to me had a hole in the bottom of it, starting a nice grease fire.

I didn't have an extinguisher and being young adults we had no baking soda, so I ended up knocking on doors down the hall to ask if they had baking soda.

Well, the hubby was asleep when this happened. He woke up to the fire alarm going off in the apartment. Unfortunately, (for him), I had also taken his clothes that morning and put them in the washer, (breakfast AND clean clothes - who could ask for more?)

So, he's woken up by the sound of alarm, standing in the hallway of our apartment, smoke coming from the kitchen, very confused as to where his clothes had disappeared to, trying to find something to cover himself with when I get back with the baking soda. Sorry sweetie!

Spellmen 12-07-2006 03:31 AM

Weird coincidence, my roomate almost set our place on fire tonight. We live in a house that is 3 floors, split into 3 apartments/floor. 4 of us live here. I was in my room at 1am doing some homework while my roomate is making a steak'em and some fries (he just got back from the bar). I hear him walk to his room. A few minutes pass and the kitchen smoke alarm goes off, this always happens when we make bacon, sausage, etc if the overhead fan is not turned on. I walk out to the kitchen to hit the fan and am hit by a cloud of smoke. It was surprisingly thick and I could see the pan was on fire, so I grab a huge lid and throw it on it. I put on a mit and take the whole frying pan and toss it out my bedroom window. The building alarm started going off somewhere between walking to the kitchen and tossing the pan out the window. We call the fire apartment to tell them not to come, but they are 2 blocks away so its too late. A firetruck and 3 cops show up and I end up being the one that has to explain it was just a steak'em malfunction. I don't think our neighbors or maintenance guy are particularly happy

goodsamaritan 12-07-2006 03:35 AM

Why didnt you kick the glass?

skedaddle 12-07-2006 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didnt you kick the glass?

[/ QUOTE ]

had no shoes on.