Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   It's my gf's 21st, help me plan (in NYC) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=452691)

mak15 07-16-2007 06:14 PM

It\'s my gf\'s 21st, help me plan (in NYC)

cliff notes: give me a good hotel, restaurant, and lounge in mid town new york for me and my 21 year old girlfriend. do you think lingerie from la perla is a good gift?

OK. So quick background: She and I are both going to be seniors next year and have been dating off and on since first semester of freshman year. I play MSNL and so have more money than necessary for a 21 year old, but I'm not a huge baller either. That said, I don't have a budget in mind but would like to spend somewhere from 1000-2000 i guess.

She is interning with a bank and her sister who lives in the city is going on vacation next week so we are staying in her sisters apartment from friday-tuesday of this week, then the plan is to stay in the dorm room she is renting (2 bedroom, 4 girls) until i leave saturday the 28th. her birthday is thursday the 26th. she works 6:30-6:30 mon-friday and will be doing so the entire week i'm there.

my tentative plan for the day is to get a hotel in mid town (near her office on 57th and 7th or so). i'll probably just tell her the night before so she can pack a bag for me to take when i check in that day. after work i want to take her out to dinner and then out for lowish key drinks. this is where you come in oot.

hotel: who's got a good hotel in mid town for the occasion? What do people think is better, 1 night in a really awesome hotel room followed by 1 night in her twin bed in the dorm, or two nights (since ill be there 1 night after her bday) in a good hotel room?

Dinner: Looking for really good food (price is almost not an object) but not too stuffy of a feel. Will just be the two of us, but we will probably have a couple drinks and plan to go out after.

Lounge/Bar: Again, trying to stay in midtown where is a good spot to grab a couple drinks without going out too hard. She already has stated she doesn't want to do 21 shots or anything crazy since she has work at 6:30 am the following morning, but we may meet some friends to do a bit of drinking/hanging out.

Present: So i don't really want to get her jewelry again, but I also don't have any really good personal ideas or anything. Right now I'm leaning towards really nice lingerie since I've never gotten any for her and she's mentioned it in the past kind of in passing so i'm pretty sure she'd like it, as would i. i'm thinking La Perla, is that the best place? I also might bring a guy friend who has bought lingerie for an ex since I never have. what kind of sizing info do i need going in? i think i know her bra size but can double check when i'm there. i'm thinking i should get two outfits so that she'll at least really like one? if you don't like this idea, you got a better one?

ok, that's about it. i'll clarify when necessary. if i get good advice i'll post a very mundane pic of us. she's 5'4", petite, half japanese and way too hot for me if that's any incentive.

Wu36 07-16-2007 06:27 PM

Re: It\'s my gf\'s 21st, help me plan (in NYC)

I got a couple suites for my 21st @ le parker meridien not too long ago and it went pretty well. Spent most of the night drinking though so I don't have a solid restaurant rec or any concrete knowledge of where I got my drinks.

slickpoppa 07-16-2007 06:30 PM

Woh, you are approaching this in the wrong way. First of all, even if you have no problem affording 1000-2000, that seems like an unhealthy amount for a college student to be spending on his GF's birthday. But more importantly, the 21st is a birthday that should be spent with friends getting drunk. She doesn't have to do 21 shots or anything, but going out to a really nice dinner then maybe meeting up with friends sounds really lame for a 21st birthday. Save the romantic stuff for your anniversary or Valentines Day. It would be a lot cooler if you arranged for all of her friends to surprise her at dinner (while of course encouraging her to drink a lot at dinner) and then all of you go out together to a nice club after that, at which point you would have an opportunity to throw around money, which you seem to want to do. You should have no problem getting into one of the nicer clubs in the meat packing district if you buy a couple of bottles and have a lot of 21 year old girls in tow.

But then again, an Asian girl who works at a bank from 6:30-6:30 everyday might have a different idea of what a 21st birthday should be like than most of the girls I knew in college, so I could be way off in my assessment.

BretWeir 07-16-2007 06:34 PM

Midtown hotels can be a little business conference-oriented, but there are a few that are more fun/romantic. The Bryant Park Hotel on W. 40th (near the library) is nice, kind of hip, with a cool lounge in the basement. The Hudson on W. 58th is super-trendy and a little edgy, has a fun nightclub, rooms are really tiny but cool looking. The Parker Meridien by Carnegie Hall is upscale and classy (there's also an awesome hidden burger shop off the lobby -- not for the nice dinner, but could be fun for luch or something). I'd stay away from Times Square -- there are a couple of decent hotels, but it's too much of a tourist scene.

For dinner, maybe the Four Seasons? It's definitely old-school, but actually not that stuffy (jacket required though). The food's great, and the Pool Room can be very romantic. I took a girl there when I was around 21, and she was literally speechless when we walked in.

If you want to give lingerie, I think Agent Provocateur blows La Perla away. This stuff is beautiful, classy, totally sexy -- but not cheap (a set will run you $200+). The staff's very helpful, so should be able to work with you to pick something out if you have measurements. Even better, bring her in and let her pick something out. They have curtained-off changing areas, and they don't care if boyfriends go in for a preview, so you can have her model some stuff for you and pick something out together. The shop's in Soho.

turnipmonster 07-16-2007 06:54 PM

I second the agent provacateur recommendation, it's a great gift. starting prices for a set are around 275 last time I checked a few months ago. if you'll have any advance time in the city they can do a gift cert for you to give her at dinner or something.

mak15 07-16-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Woh, you are approaching this in the wrong way...

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand and appreciate the advice. but, we've definitely talked about big dinner, club, etc, but she decided she didn't want that. a lot of our friends are in the city for the summer and a lot are having 21st birthdays complete with the big dinner and club following so she feels like she doesn't really need or even want to do that given she has work the next day. i also don't want to "throw around money" per say, just threw out those numbers to show that i didn't want people to hold back on recs based on prices. also $1000 will go pretty fast all tolled for the night. obviously she knows that i make money and don't need to impress her in any way, but we both like nice things and so i'd like to spend the little extra on dinner/hotel/gift if it improves the quality since luckily i'm able to afford to.

kmak 07-16-2007 07:05 PM

I like the Hotel Plaza Athenee on the east side. Very classy, small.
Lots of good restaurants nearby - David Burke & Donatella is excellent, younger crowd.
Definitely stay two nights.

jws43yale 07-16-2007 07:15 PM

I am friends with a slightly older girl (28) who absolutely loves La Perla. Basically has told me anything from there she would love. I think this is a great gift, esp since it is not lingerie that is just sexy for the guy.

fluffpop62 07-16-2007 09:05 PM

WELL mak15, I like the way you think A LOT. because my birthday is Aug. 21 and I am really sad because all of my friends from VA start school by then but none of my friends from SD do so I will just be spendign my 21st with my fam!

Even though I don't have anywhere to recommend, I think that you have a really sweet idea in getting her something that she has requested but you have never actually purchased before. You seem like a nice guy and POST PIX duhh

samjjones 07-16-2007 09:13 PM

mak - PM mrkilla. I'm sure he'd be willing to show your gf a good time around midtown.

ua1176 07-16-2007 10:20 PM

can i ask why you're so set on midtown?

i feel like i generally have an infinitely better time in the village or the lower east side.

turnipmonster 07-16-2007 10:37 PM

agreed, midtown kind of sucks.

nyc999 07-16-2007 10:45 PM

Definitely go somewhere downtown like the W, Soho Grand or 60 Thompson. A lot of the good restaurants and lounges are downtown. But midtown is cool if you want to hang out with a lot of families from the Midwest. This is coming from someone who works less than a block from her office.

Roy 07-17-2007 12:51 AM

So when's the big day?

edtost 07-17-2007 01:19 AM

if you're willing to go downtown a bit, the hotel gansevoort has two nice lounge-ish bars and (i've heard) nice rooms also, and having a room there lets you skip the lines at the door, which is nice.

as long as you stay on the west side, being out of midtown should still be convenient to her office.

mrkilla 07-17-2007 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mak - PM mrkilla. I'm sure he'd be willing to show your gf a good time around midtown.

[/ QUOTE ]

here here!

mak you can PM NT! I'm sure he will show YOU a good time downtown

samjjones 07-17-2007 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can i ask why you're so set on midtown?

i feel like i generally have an infinitely better time in the village or the lower east side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he doesn't want to get jacked up in front of his girlfriend by the hipsters or gays?

mrkilla 07-17-2007 09:16 AM

Here is a real answer

Midtown is ghey, unless you wish to be a tourist and hang around Time Square but no self repsecting NY sets foot in there except for work or to take a train.

Food:
What kind of food do you want to eat, this is important, Dont say anything because you can literally get GD anything in NY so pic a type of food and go with it. You can probably find a place in midtown for this.

Lounge/Bar:
There are scattered places but generally it sucks in midtown. But with that in mind you can try DIP http://newyork.citysearch.com/profil...rk_ny/dip.html
It's a "desert" bar with lots of girlie drinks and chocolate crap, she will love it. Its not really midtown but its a fun place to take a female.

Hotel - Come on Baller , the 4 seasons obv. if you are staying during a week day I bet it would only run you 700 a night or so

otnemem 07-17-2007 09:54 AM

This is pretty much an impossible topic to give solid advice on. The one thing that a few people got right:

Why Midtown? It's so tacky and touristy. If you must stay in Midtown, maybe try to find a hotel on the east side, away from Times Square and everything.

As far as restaurants and lounges/bars: The possibilities are almost endless in Manhattan. What would be much more valuable to you is if you were to do your own research, come back with a few ideas, and people can tell you if they're horrible.

But on the restaurant tip, I recommend Kurio. But it's not in Midtown. It's on 92nd and 1st, I think, and it's a really small and elegant spot. Look it up...

Taylor Caby 07-17-2007 10:21 PM

completely agree with the other poster about "maybe" seeing her friends that night. you only get one 21st bday and maybe a dinner/club isnt what she wants but nothing wrong with dinner for 2 then meeting her friends at some collegy bar for drinks/shots/fun music. you could also get that hotel room for the following night instead because she would be beat after work the next day and might want to come straight home, nap, get late dinner, then sleep. if i were you id just ask her again and say you felt like her friends would want to celebrate with her and see what she says.

as far as hotels if you want midtown the W is pretty trendy and semi nice (i would avoid times sq one) and i would highly recommend getting a suite at tribeca grand if you are willing to get out of midtown because it has a great hotel bar and good scene in general. you could get a pretty badass room for 400-500 bucks.

tc

Evan 07-17-2007 11:36 PM

Check out the TGI Friday's in Times Square. It's got like 3 floors, so it's pretty much the most authentic New York dinner you can have. Afterward she'll probably want desert. Now I know Friday's has that menu where you can get an appetizer, an entre and desert in a group, but don't do that. You'll just ruin her special day. What you want to do is hit up the M&M's store in Times square. Get her an M&M in every color, girls love that stuff.

Okay, so let's get to the good stuff, where to drink. Girls love consistency and most guys just don't get this. Going back to TGI Friday's would not only make the night perfectly symmetrical, but it is just right across the too! Good idea, right? WRONG. Although girls like consistency, they hate repetition; it's a real catch 22. What you want to do is head over to Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. It's still right in the neighborhood plus it'll add to the real New York experience. I really shouldn't be giving away all these secrets though, so I'm going to stop now.

Lol at all those people that said you shouldn't stay in midtown. Never trust anyone on the internet.

El Diablo 07-17-2007 11:58 PM

mak,

"my tentative plan for the day is to get a hotel in mid town (near her office on 57th and 7th or so)."

Hudson, obviously.

otnemem 07-18-2007 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out the TGI Friday's in Times Square. It's got like 3 floors, so it's pretty much the most authentic New York dinner you can have. Afterward she'll probably want desert. Now I know Friday's has that menu where you can get an appetizer, an entre and desert in a group, but don't do that. You'll just ruin her special day. What you want to do is hit up the M&M's store in Times square. Get her an M&M in every color, girls love that stuff.

Okay, so let's get to the good stuff, where to drink. Girls love consistency and most guys just don't get this. Going back to TGI Friday's would not only make the night perfectly symmetrical, but it is just right across the too! Good idea, right? WRONG. Although girls like consistency, they hate repetition; it's a real catch 22. What you want to do is head over to Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. It's still right in the neighborhood plus it'll add to the real New York experience. I really shouldn't be giving away all these secrets though, so I'm going to stop now.

Lol at all those people that said you shouldn't stay in midtown. Never trust anyone on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree with everything here. Disregard my previous post. Midtown is def where it's at. There's an Olive Garden there, too, FYI.

jsnipes28 07-19-2007 01:50 PM

Stay at Gramercy Park Hotel, i took my gf there and it was awesome, they have a really in/chic bar and then you can go other places later

otnemem 07-19-2007 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stay at Gramercy Park Hotel, i took my gf there and it was awesome, they have a really in/chic bar and then you can go other places later

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good suggestion. That neighborhood is much nicer than Midtown. Lots of cool bars/restaurants in Murray Hill.

Evan 07-19-2007 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good suggestion. That neighborhood is much nicer than Midtown. Lots of cool bars/restaurants in Murray Hill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, it's so cool it might be getting it's own sitcom.

otnemem 07-19-2007 02:42 PM

Ew. Murray Hill - Manhattan's most prestigious neighborhood? That's a stretch. Unless prestige comes by way of vegetarian/kosher Indian food buffets. Rodeo pint-glass toxic Margaritas FTW.

revots33 07-19-2007 03:53 PM

"Oh, look! My favorite New York pizza place. I'm going to go get me a New York slice!"

http://www.hofstra.edu/images/dining...oc_sbarros.jpg

mak15 07-19-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mak,
Hudson, obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're not leveling here, right? this looks like the front runner hotel since i know she'll really like to be able to walk to work friday morning.

for restaurant, i guess the front runner is nobu or nobu fifty seven, any opinions? is there a difference between the two? i guess i need to call soon to try to get a reservation, will i not be able to get one a week in advance? i've been to the vegas nobu and thought it was awesome and she likes that type of food. it also seems like a decent option occasion wise - not too stuffy, conducive to having a couple drinks, etc...

for bar/lounge after i figure ill discuss with her older sister and a couple friends. pretty much would be open to go anywhere in the city since dinner will be close to the hotel. this is a plus for nobu since if we eat uptown it would probably be annoying to go out downtown and vice versa.

otnemem 07-19-2007 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mak,
Hudson, obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're not leveling here, right? this looks like the front runner hotel since i know she'll really like to be able to walk to work friday morning.

for restaurant, i guess the front runner is nobu or nobu fifty seven, any opinions? is there a difference between the two? i guess i need to call soon to try to get a reservation, will i not be able to get one a week in advance? i've been to the vegas nobu and thought it was awesome and she likes that type of food. it also seems like a decent option occasion wise - not too stuffy, conducive to having a couple drinks, etc...

for bar/lounge after i figure ill discuss with her older sister and a couple friends. pretty much would be open to go anywhere in the city since dinner will be close to the hotel. this is a plus for nobu since if we eat uptown it would probably be annoying to go out downtown and vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]
Refer to NYC sushi thread. Don't waste your money at Nobu. Go to Sushi Yasuda on 43rd and 3rd. You will never have better sushi in your life. Just don't expect to order items with names like "Dragon Roll" or Dynamite Roll." If you like real sushi: delicate, a la carte pieces, seasoned with the right amount of soy sauce, wasabi, sea salt, etc, you can't go wrong. It's without a doubt the best sushi I've ever had, and definitely the best (for it's price, which is not cheap but not Masa expensive) in NYC.

otnemem 07-19-2007 04:52 PM

And yes, for the love of god, make your reservation soon if you're planning on going to any of these places next weekend. Way to be on top of things.

El Diablo 07-19-2007 04:53 PM

mak,

No level at all. The Hudson is a very cool hotel w/ very cool bars. The rooms are on the small side, but they are sleek and cool and new. For a place near her office, this is a very clear choice imo.

There are NY restaurant threads here and in EDF w/ plenty of ideas for restaurants. Nobu is great, I've never been to Nobu 57.

mak15 07-19-2007 04:53 PM

wouldn't really be going to nobu for sushi since ya we go to smaller, cheaper, and almost as good places for that. but i like the other dishes at nobu for something different that she doesn't get all the time.

otnemem 07-19-2007 05:01 PM

I just think there are many restaurants in Manhattan that are much better than Nobu that aren't just surrounded by hype... I'm not saying Nobu isn't good, I'm just saying that there are better, more low-key places. But if you think she'd be into it, then it's probably a good choice.

mak15 07-19-2007 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think there are many restaurants in Manhattan that are much better than Nobu that aren't just surrounded by hype... I'm not saying Nobu isn't good, I'm just saying that there are better, more low-key places. But if you think she'd be into it, then it's probably a good choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, i know the hype is kind of douchey or whatever, but I feel like for her birthday the hype isn't a bad thing. I'll be there for a week though so maybe will check out your rec another night.

HojoMofo 07-20-2007 01:54 AM

Panna II LDO unless she is epileptic
j/k, though that restaurant owns it doesnt really fit your specifications