Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Antonio The Magician (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539898)

TheFuGu 11-06-2007 06:16 PM

Antonio The Magician

How much of a tool is this guy. I cant ever remember watching any poker show in the past 5 years where someone has been more irritating or more of a try hard than him in last nights HSP.

"life is great" "america is great" "you guys are awesome"

Shut the [censored] up you annoying prick.

Brad22 11-06-2007 06:19 PM

Re: Antonio The Magician

I mean, I guess some may be irritated. He's certainly not a favorite character around these forums, but he seems like a fairly decent person. An alright guy most of the time at the table, and seems friendly enough to most, never rubbing it in anyone's face (at least not that I've seen).

My knock on him was that I thought he was a bad player, but he seems to be pretty good.

PLO8FaceKilla 11-06-2007 06:20 PM

that episode was definitely a 1.4

sneaks619 11-06-2007 06:21 PM

it's like you just cut and pasted from the televised poker session, cause that comment was posted about 4 hours ago? way to be original

imabigdeal 11-06-2007 06:21 PM

meanwhile wtf at doyle folding that flush against jamie gold... my head asploded

inyourface 11-06-2007 06:26 PM

I have no idea why Antonio got asked to play this table, I don't rate him at all. That was my opinion before he butchered the AA hand

Mothercanuck 11-06-2007 06:27 PM

normally I don't mind him at all and find him entertaining...but last night was a little too much! and yes Doyle's fold made me cry...I was hoping hed just shove LOL

Arnold_O 11-06-2007 06:28 PM

when he was younger he was a rub it in your face kind of guy. he's toned it down quite a bit probably after hearing about it on the forums. i remember an incident from a few years ago that flipped my opinion of him 180 degrees from liking him to not. i won't mention it but it was him coming off as pompous and superior. --and it wasn't the article he wrote about us rubes.

Mr_Mxyztplk 11-06-2007 06:28 PM

i would love to know who staked Esfandiari, no way he has the money to play this game.

Mr Sarcastic 11-06-2007 06:33 PM

Re: Antonio The Magician .... which is the measure of the man ?

Rocks and Rings or that idiotic chanmpagne piss-off at the Wynn ?

TheFuGu 11-06-2007 06:36 PM

Yeah he got staked think Laak would have a big chunk and a few others. It would be such a good investment given that line up. Seriously if I could I would like a big chunk of him. He is probably in the top 3 players in that game.

However he is still a fkn toolbox. Why try so hard?

KamiKatze 11-06-2007 06:38 PM

[x] Unable to take eyes off Arnold_O's avatar.

[x] do.
[x] want.

Antonio's OK, he's just happy to be there.

The 13th 4postle 11-06-2007 06:46 PM

I think Antonio is really chill. I'd love to hang out with him and Phil Laak for a weekend. They are probably the coolest two guys on the show.

Regarding his play with Top Set...There were three spades on the board how much do you want him to bet you a-holes, it's 500 thousand dollars. He played it like he should have. Its a hand that donks stack off every day.

pnazari 11-06-2007 06:53 PM

how can doyle lay down that flush v. jamie? has he been watching previous episodes/years?

inyourface 11-06-2007 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There were three spades on the board how much do you want him to bet you a-holes

[/ QUOTE ]

There were no spades on the board preflop when he limped in

a-hole

MatthijsH 11-06-2007 07:09 PM

Yeah limping Aces in EP is CRAZY!!!!! Especially in that game.....

The 13th 4postle 11-06-2007 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There were three spades on the board how much do you want him to bet you a-holes

[/ QUOTE ]

There were no spades on the board preflop when he limped in

a-hole

[/ QUOTE ]

Limping in with AA is not a bad play in cash games and it will often make more money when you do limp in with it because your opponents will not expect it. You should mostly raise with it pre-flop but limping is a good way to mix up your play.

Double a-hole

Astyanax 11-06-2007 07:16 PM

He seems like a good guy. He Has some good table banter and as someone earlier said he never gives anyone a rubdown.

Fwiw I think he is a phenomenal player abd his life story is interesting to say the least and would win the comp for 'worst bankroll management', as per the other thread as to how he built his bankroll...

Nut4Dawgs 11-06-2007 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how can doyle lay down that flush v. jamie? has he been watching previous episodes/years?

[/ QUOTE ]

Earlier, Doyle commented that he hadn't watched any of the show. Believe him or don't.

Kaplan commented that "back in the day," when Doyle was on the road, nobody in a cash game would make the play Gold did if he didn't have the hand. Maybe Doyle just lapsed back into his old style. I blew beer through my nose when he mucked.

Pokerpun 11-06-2007 07:42 PM

If Doyle has not watched the old shows to get abetter read on the other players then that shows why other younger , hungrier players (lik antonio) will have an edge on him.

EWS87 11-06-2007 07:59 PM

he cant have that much of an edge i mean hes not even the best player with the consecutive letters antoni in his name

Al Capwne 11-06-2007 08:16 PM

I think Doyle has a great read on Jamie and he read him as very strong, which he was. I think Doyle should've showed him his hand, though to get a more detailed reaction.

steel108 11-06-2007 08:21 PM

LOL at all the morons saying Antonio is a bad player. He would bust all ur rolls. Idiotic donks hating for no reason. Improve ur game instead of trying to criticize someone who is heads and shoulders above u. Maybe u guys shove the A-A at the 10NL games you play, but that why you are donks.

To OP, I think he seriously means what he says. If it wasn't for poker, lord knows who he would be.

EWS87 11-06-2007 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To OP, I think he seriously means what he says. If it wasn't for poker, lord knows who he would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea it was cute the first few times he said it on tv...but hes literally said the exact same line 20 times and its just getting really annoying

p2fgf 11-06-2007 08:34 PM

"God bless America"
"...riding camels in the desert..."
"thank god for poker"
"poker is beautiful"
"thank god my dad moved here from durka durka"
"pleasure to be here with you guys"

Antonio starts out every session of PAD/HSP with that junk. Prop bet to see if he can be more annoything than Phil Laak by the end of HSP4?

Styhn 11-06-2007 08:35 PM

To me he's one of the few poker "personalities" (because that's all they are for us, in the end) I really respect, both as a "person" and pokerplayer. I love that he's on this show.

dlk9s 11-06-2007 08:52 PM

I conducted a phone interview with him in early 2006 and he was really cool, really accomodating. Like many, I went in with the impression that he might be a tool, but he most definitely wasn't.

When I called him to schedule the interview (he had no idea who I was - the interview was arranged through his publicist, and it's not like I conducted it for some big media outlet), he was in the middle of doing something with some friends. I was having an odd phone issue where I could hear him, but he couldn't hear me. Thus, he ended up hanging up on me, because it basically looked like a prank call ("Hello? Hello? Hello?"). Mild panic set in, as I was afraid that when I called back, he'd see the caller ID and be pissed.

But, I did call back from the same number (different phone), apologized for the confusion, and he was extremely cool about it. We scheduled the interview for when he would be driving from L.A. to Vegas.

In the interview, I told him I'd keep it short, but he said I could ask whatever I wanted and not to worry about taking up his time. At one point, I even said I only had a couple more quick questions and he told me to just ask away, regardless of how much longer it would take. He was also pretty candid with his answers and treated me with respect, something I really appreciated, as I was pretty much a nobody.

So, all in all, he was a very good guy.

Styhn 11-06-2007 08:56 PM

What kind of interview was it, do you have it online?

corpseartist 11-06-2007 09:03 PM

Antonio isnt as bad as Laak in terms of annoyance, but he really does need to shut up about all the camel derka stuff. Limping with aces is also very gay imho.

CalPolyKid 11-06-2007 09:04 PM

I find both Antonio and Phil Laak to be very funny and entertaining.

Regarding Doyle folding the flush, I also couldnt believe that he folded only because i thought the only hand he should be afraid of is the Q high flush and even then there werent many Qxs hands that you could reasonably put Jamie on there. J high flush woulda been out of the question to me because of how different Jamie usually plays pairs+flush draws on the flop

Hipsdontlie69 11-06-2007 09:06 PM

Antonio is the most overrated crap I've ever played with, when I see him on the table, I had to play cuz he sucks big time, he's a donk.

Styhn 11-06-2007 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limping in with AA is not a bad play in cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you

[/ QUOTE ]

As if it's inherently bad play to limp AA UTG in a loose game?

Chilltown 11-06-2007 09:07 PM

I've always like Antonio. He does have his usual lines but his a fun and entertaining personality to watch. Great player too, definitely in the top 3 I think on that table. And his hand reading last episode was sick. Dead on every time.

Also, it's been debated for like 8 pages in the Television forum...but like Gabe said Doyle read Jamie Gold perfectly. Jamie in his mind was sure he had the best hand and that's all Doyle needed because he reads Gold perfectly. He knew Jamie was committed to his hand, and Doyle had the 3rd best flush and didn't want another 400k in there when he trusted his read. Gold misread the strength of his hand etc.

smak 11-06-2007 09:12 PM

I give him a break on all that talk. It's not like he's from Iowa and glad to be in a big city like LV.

He's from Iran. You don't think he thanks whatever his God is every day for being a millionaire in Las Vegas rather than living in Iran?

the_magician 11-06-2007 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I give him a break on all that talk. It's not like he's from Iowa and glad to be in a big city like LV.

He's from Iran. You don't think he thanks whatever his God is every day for being a millionaire in Las Vegas rather than living in Iran?

[/ QUOTE ]

I COULD HAVE BEEN RIDING CAMELS BACK HOME.

simuk 11-06-2007 09:21 PM

no love for Antonio?!

BOOOOOO!

EWS87 11-06-2007 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limping in with AA is not a bad play in cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you

[/ QUOTE ]

As if it's inherently bad play to limp AA UTG in a loose game?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes

Wires 11-06-2007 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Antonio is the most overrated crap I've ever played with

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that you've never played with him. In the Medium Stakes forum you asked the following:

"how many players would u need to limp in for u to play 24offsuit or 35offsuit on the button? "

and you were largely ridiculed for it (rightly so). Do you still want to claim you are in Antonio's league, donk? Would anyone who could sit down with Esfandiari even need to ask such a ridiculous question?

Go fake hate on pocket fives.

EC10 11-06-2007 09:30 PM

esfandiari seems awesome, lives a ballin life and is for sure a sick player. the haters are prob just mad jealous.

beeks 11-06-2007 09:37 PM

I ran into Antonio at PURE nightblub a few weeks ago. He was a very down-to-earth, friendly guy. No table/bottle services for him, he was just scoping out the room like all the other dudes there. It didn't seem to me that his table/TV image is anything different than his in-person-off-camera image. That to me means he is a genuine guy. I would love ot hang out with him for a weekend.

I also think his play is impressive. If he pushed the rest of his $500K into the middle with top set do you really think Barry is calling there? NO. HE extracted about as much money as he could. On top of that (and we shall see) perhaps his conservative play with top set has established a tight image and will enable him to make a big bluff next show.