Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Please allow me to introduce myself (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=534075)

PPABryan 10-29-2007 06:37 PM

Please allow me to introduce myself

Hello 2+2 Community,

My Name is Bryan Spadaro. I would like to introduce myself to this community, and felt this would be the best area for me to begin. I just started, today no less, with the Poker Players Alliance, as the Manager of Membership Relations. A little bit about myself, I am 24 years old, and have been working here in Washington for almost 2 years now. I was formerly with the PAC of the American Medical Association, one of the largest PAC's in the country. Before moving to DC, I attended Tulane University, where poker paid my tuition and rent the last two years I was in school. I have participated in the last two WSOP's and even managed to sneak my way in and bubble a final table. I now take over membership relations here at the PPA at a very exciting time. The Fly-In last week was a rousing success, and we earned support for our position amongst key Members of Congress. The Judiciary committee has also taken a keen interest in our struggle, and this can only be seen as promising. I am really looking forward to working with our members in the future and I am very excited to have joined this fight against prohibition. Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time, member or non-member, hopefully you will become a member after talking with me, and you can reach me at bryan@pokerplayersalliance.org

Thanks, and lets work together to get poker back where it belongs, in the open and free to be played anywhere in America!!

Bryan C. Spadaro, Manager Member Relations

Poker Players Alliance

oober 10-29-2007 06:45 PM

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself

Welcome and look foreward to your participation in upholding our right to play cards online!!!!!

PPABryan 10-29-2007 06:50 PM

Thank you very much. I am new to this forum, so bear with me as I learn to navigate it, but I can assure you I will be here regularly, sharing current information in the struggle we are involved in here in Washington and across the country!!

Uglyowl 10-29-2007 07:00 PM

Glad to have you on board here. Exciting and scary time for online poker, I am happy there is more "firepower" to let us know what is going on.

Coy_Roy 10-29-2007 07:01 PM

Welcome Bryan.

The first thing you must learn when posting on forums is that you live in The District of Columbia or DC, not Washington.

It helps clarify things and I personally don't know any DC residents that refer to themselves as living in "Washington", that term is generally reserved for those in The State of Washington.

Good luck and we're all hoping you do well in your endeavors.

Mr Sarcastic 10-29-2007 07:22 PM

Re: Sympathy for the Devil ?

.... Actually, good of you to drop in.

Can you address the assertion that Barry G made about "legalized" online poker in the US in 6 months ?

what projection, if any, do you think is realistic ?

Was the interested Judiciary Committee the Senate or House Judiciary Committee ?

Was there a different level of interest in the different bills/proposals ?

Thanks for your insight.

IndyFish 10-29-2007 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you very much. I am new to this forum, so bear with me as I learn to navigate it, but I can assure you I will be here regularly, sharing current information in the struggle we are involved in here in Washington and across the country!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good things are happening at the PPA! Congrats on the job, Bryan. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

IndyFish

smartalecc5 10-29-2007 10:32 PM

Tuff_fish TR made me excited. Go go PPA!

cha59 10-29-2007 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tuff_fish TR made me excited. Go go PPA!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

Welcome Bryan!

Explicit65 10-30-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome and look foreward to your participation in upholding our right to play cards online!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

davmcg 10-30-2007 09:29 AM

ok I'll ask..

Are you a man of wealth and fame?

TheEngineer 10-30-2007 09:31 AM

Welcome to PPA and 2p2 Bryan. It was good meeting you at the fly-in.

I'm really pleased with the progress of our movement over the past few months, and am looking forward to working with you.

PPABryan 10-30-2007 10:36 AM

Thank you very much Mr Engineer, It was nice meeting you as well, and your dedication to this cause is pretty inspiring, I am very excited to be on board and very happy to have devoted people like you on board as well. To answer some earlier questions, no I am not a man of wealth or fame, nor am I a man of constant sorrow.

As to Barry's statement on 6 months, we are working hard here to realize this goal, and Mr Greenstein is most certainly an important part of that goal, and we will continue to fight until this situation is resolved in our favor, and the sooner it happens the better for us all.

Continuing questions, it has been taken up in the House Judiciary Committee, and there will be a hearing there next Tuesday, Nov 6th.

As to differentiating the bills that are up in the house, I think the more promising aspect is the fact that general awareness of this industry, and the size and amount of growth it has in it, has come to the forefront. The Fly-In really showed that we are organized, we are intelligent, we are motivated and we will not be going away any time soon.

Bryan

Berge20 10-30-2007 11:55 AM

Welcome

Grasshopp3r 10-30-2007 12:57 PM

Welcome.

Please fix the PPA forum and respond to the emails from members. Emails to support are bounced as undeliverable.

JuntMonkey 10-30-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok I'll ask..

[/ QUOTE ]

First thing I thought of as well.

davmcg 10-30-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok I'll ask..

[/ QUOTE ]

First thing I thought of as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

oops it's actually wealth and taste (but I thought no one would notice as it's the legislation forum......)

Eaglesfan1 10-30-2007 03:47 PM

Welcome, hopefully you can be here on a regular basis, looking forward to it.

permafrost 10-30-2007 10:45 PM

Welcome Mr Spadaro. When you get a chance, would you please describe the duties of a PPA Manager of Membership Relations as you understand them?

ewile 10-30-2007 11:33 PM

Welcome. Fight the good fight!

Mason Malmuth 10-31-2007 05:52 AM

Just so you know, the official 2+2 position concerning the PPA is neutral. It will not become positive until issues with your board are improved. This means that you can post here and interact with other forum posters, but you cannot solicit memberships or ask for money in any way.

Also, so there is no confusion as to exactly who you are, we also ask that you finish each post with your name and position with the PPA.

Mason Malmuth
Owner and Publisher
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
www.twoplustwo.com

Richas 10-31-2007 07:14 AM

Oh I do hope the "issues" with the board can get sorted soon. Then there may be hope that the op to remove the stick can succeed :-)

Meanwhile Bryan just make sure the PPA carries on being more effective. Most will judge the PPA by their actions - which I have to say show promise. But don't forget your name and role - after all with a name like PPABryan some people might be confused about your affiliation....WELCOME!!!!

RotatorCff 10-31-2007 08:31 AM

New forum member here ... please be gentle as this is my first post.

I had the opportunity to attend last week's PPA event and meet many of the dedicated individuals working on the noble cause of a legal, regulated, safe environment for poker in the US. I must say I was very impressed with the event and the effort that is being put forth.

As a relative newbie to many of these issues I don't know all that has gone on in the past (though it certainly seems we have a much more proactive PPA working on our behalf than in the past), and I have no idea to what the "Board Issues" refers.

Having said that I believe a strong PPA is critical to our goals as this is the organization that has the ability to mobilize the masses (voters) and this will be imperative to any legislative solution. (At this point I suppose I should divulge the fact that I am NOT a member of the PPA Board).

So, assuming we are all of the same mind that US legislative/regulatory relief is a goal ... then I hope to see the day where the PPA receives more support from this important forum and I hope that day arrives soon. Thanks.

PPABryan 10-31-2007 10:28 AM

Hi Mason,

Nice to meet you, I can assure you I have no desire to solicit memberships or money on your site. As I stated earlier, I am new here, so I don't really know what issues 2+2 may have with the PPA, but I believe my presence here will hopefully begin to deal with some of those issues, so that your stance will change from neutral to positive. Our Goal here is to protect poker in all its forms, be it at the Federal level, or in Washington State, or in the upcoming battle in Massachusetts. Hopefully we can all work together to achieve that goal.

Bryan Spadaro
Poker Players Alliance
Membership Relations, Manager

Uglyowl 10-31-2007 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I stated earlier, I am new here, so I don't really know what issues 2+2 may have with the PPA, but I believe my presence here will hopefully begin to deal with some of those issues

[/ QUOTE ]

Those issues have been discussed in detail in the past. I would suggest you go back and read the archives (especially Mason's posts). The Engineer may be able to bring you up to date the concerns that some have with the board make-up (CardPlayer magazines' large control over the board).

Mason Malmuth 10-31-2007 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mason,

Nice to meet you,

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you won't be meeting me. I have refused to meet with John Pappas until these issues are cleaned up more and that refusal will apply to any officer of the PPA with the possible exception of former Senator D'Amato.

[ QUOTE ]
As I stated earlier, I am new here, so I don't really know what issues 2+2 may have with the PPA

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the sort of thing I find very frustrating. You should do your homework before you begin posting on a site like ours.

[ QUOTE ]
but I believe my presence here will hopefully begin to deal with some of those issues

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on conversations that I have had in the past with people who are far more important than you to your organization, your being here will have zero impact on these issues.

MM

TheProdigy 10-31-2007 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mason,

Nice to meet you,

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you won't be meeting me. I have refused to meet with John Pappas until these issues are cleaned up more and that refusal will apply to any officer of the PPA with the possible exception of former Senator D'Amato.

[ QUOTE ]
As I stated earlier, I am new here, so I don't really know what issues 2+2 may have with the PPA

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the sort of thing I find very frustrating. You should do your homework before you begin posting on a site like ours.

[ QUOTE ]
but I believe my presence here will hopefully begin to deal with some of those issues

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on conversations that I have had in the past with people who are far more important than you to your organization, your being here will have zero impact on these issues.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very hostile to a new person trying to be helpful only. I can see why the two parties cannot reach an agreement with an attitude like this.

Good luck PPABryan and I hope you can make a good impact here.

Johnny McEldoo 10-31-2007 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are very hostile to a new person trying to be helpful only. I can see why the two parties cannot reach an agreement with an attitude like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Bryan please keep in mind that the official stance of 2+2 does not necessarily reflect the views of a large portion of this community. I believe majority of the people here greatly appreciate the efforts of people like you and the PPA organization.

Please don't let things like this discourage you from what you are trying to acomplish here.

antneye 10-31-2007 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mason,

Nice to meet you,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason,

For a world class poker mind you sure are coming off as a real jerk with this post.

Your fight with the PPA and their members does nothing to advance our interests. Even if this is how you feel, what is to be gained by your outward show of hostility?

downrange 10-31-2007 12:52 PM

Wow, can Mason post or what? Talk about non-sequiturs. I mean, GEEZ [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Welcome ppa guy.

Coy_Roy 10-31-2007 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bryan please keep in mind that the official stance of 2+2 does not necessarily reflect the views of a large portion of this community. I believe majority of the people here greatly appreciate the efforts of people like you and the PPA organization.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this to be a true statement.

OldNantucker 10-31-2007 01:35 PM

Mr. Malmuth - your post does not seem to convey a "neutral" stance towards PPA.
If you refuse to speak to Mr. Pappas, how will you ever reach agreement on some of your concerns?
PPA seems to be moving in right direction with 2+2 by hiring the Engineer and by starting a friendly dialogue with forum posters. Can't you meet them half way?

TheEngineer 10-31-2007 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mason,

Nice to meet you,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason,

Bryan joined PPA to help us with our fight. Many of us, including me, met him in D.C. and found him to be a good guy committed to the cause.

canvasbck 10-31-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mason,

Nice to meet you,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason, I am very disapointed in your attitude. I agree that the PPA has some conflicts of intrest in it's board, but Brian comes here in peace looking for common ground in our common fight and you come across as a pompas arse. I would hope that any new employee of the PPa should be welcomed here with open arms since he or she will be having direct dialog with real poker players, the same ones who purchase books from 2+2.

DeadMoneyDad 10-31-2007 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brian comes here in peace looking for common ground in our common fight and you come across as a pompas arse. I would hope that any new employee of the PPa should be welcomed here with open arms since he or she will be having direct dialog with real poker players, the same ones who purchase books from 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be realistic and look at this issue from both sides.

The PPA comes here because their own forum is a joke. This forum and perhaps 3 or 4 others are the cheapest form of communication to the on-line poker world. Bryan comes here to better do his job.

Mason as one of the owners of this communication medium has some rights of ownership. Not all of his concerns are completely wacked out. There are some serious issues that will affect the future of on-line poker in the US that have not been addressed by the PPA. How they are addressed in future strategy will ultimately shape on-line poker for quite awhile.

Yes they should get together hold hands and sing Kumbyah for the good of all mankind. But each feel so far that the other's issues can be ignored. Or that at least is my take on it.

2+2 is a private company and has the right to choose who it serves like any other business. If 2+2 decides there are issues that require it to take a nominally netural stance in regards to the PPA, who are we to question 2+2?

Yes, my passion for fully legal and minimally regulated poker is perhaps as great as anyones who does not have a lot invested in its future. I have pledged to help the PPA to the best of my ability and for it to utilize whatever talents I have to further that goal.

But just as we have to be realistic in the political world we must be realistic in the business world of poker. Just because many of us are sick and tired of all the manuvering doesn't mean it will stop just because we wish it so.

D$D<--middle child nonsense again.

Skallagrim 10-31-2007 03:12 PM

Let me add my "Welcome" to the list PPABryan.

Let me also say please dont get too offended by MM's tone in his response to you. He always sounds that way, but then he usually ends up doing the right thing.

You will find extensive discussion in past threads about 2+2's official concerns about the PPA board. A handful of regular posters here have the same concerns.

Most of us do not, at least yet, have these concerns and are enthusiastic about the recent improvement in PPA activity. I hope you become a valuable contribution to that activity. You wont find a more intelligent discussion of the legal issues surrounding poker anywhere else on the internet than here in the 2+2 legislation forum. It why I post and read here regularly.

At some point, when we have had some success and are actually beginning to work on what legal, regulated online poker will look like, the issues relating to the membership of the PPA board, and their corresponding potential conflicts of interest, may become relevant. Until that time, I believe, as do most here, that there are far more important things to worry about, and far more important work to do.

First we have to get the momentum and votes for clear legal status. Thanks for your anticipated help with that, no matter what develops thereafter.

Skallagrim

MayorHerb 10-31-2007 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Mason,

For a world class poker mind you sure are coming off as a real jerk with this post.

Your fight with the PPA and their members does nothing to advance our interests. Even if this is how you feel, what is to be gained by your outward show of hostility?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I wouldn't dare call Mason a jerk, but maybe "over the top". Hello Bryan. I hope there's help out there for the case in PA (having nothing to do with online).

oldbookguy 10-31-2007 05:08 PM

Let me say, welcome aboard, and may you help us in ways we have not even imagined yet.

As Robert Frost said, "I have miles to go before I sleep" and we too have miles to go before we rest from this fight for poker.

obg

KEW 10-31-2007 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just so you know, the official 2+2 position concerning the PPA is neutral. It will not become positive until issues with your board are improved. This means that you can post here and interact with other forum posters, but you cannot solicit memberships or ask for money in any way.

Also, so there is no confusion as to exactly who you are, we also ask that you finish each post with your name and position with the PPA.

Mason Malmuth
Owner and Publisher
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
www.twoplustwo.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Does 2+2 publishing LLC have an "official" opinion on either the Wexler Bill or the Frank Bill???? I have not heard..

IMO there is no "neutral"...To me neutral is negative..When the reason in the make up of the Board and a "potential" conflict interest..This IMO is not "neutral" but clearly "negative"..

FWIW I fully support the PPA..I am yet to see evidence that the PPA is not working in and for "my" best interests..The PPA Fly-in IMO was a huge success a proof of the PPA intentions..

Mason Malmuth 10-31-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO there is no "neutral"...To me neutral is negative..

[/ QUOTE ]

If we were negative, PPA representatives would not be allowed to post here.

MM