Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Pick the "next gen" console I should purchase (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=526596)

SuperUberBob 10-19-2007 02:08 PM

Pick the \"next gen\" console I should purchase

Currently, I have decided against the Wii. A friend of mine about 10 feet away has one. No need for my own.

So, I narrowed it down to the XBox 360 or the PS3. I checked things out and to me it is way too close to call. The game selection for the 360 looks better than the PS3 for now, but the PS3 seems to have some good games on the horizon. The soon to be released 40 GB PS3 will be $400 and the 360 Pro/Premium and Elite packages are around the same price.

So, that means I will let the 2+2 community choose which console I should purchase as a tie breaker for my indecisiveness.

AceLuby 10-19-2007 02:45 PM

Re: Pick the \"next gen\" console I should purchase

This decision cannot be made off the info given. A search (or just looking a prev posts in the last month) will turn up a lot of arguments for both. It all comes down to what games you like, how much $$$ you can spend right away on a system, and what features you want for the system.

SuperUberBob 10-19-2007 02:50 PM

Definitely true, ace. My original theory is that the 360 is best now, but that the PS3 will catch up in the future. So, the question is whether I'm willing to sacrifice short-run success and satisfaction for the long run success of the PS3. The FF games and MGS 4 are hard to pass up if I get a 360.

AceLuby 10-19-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely true, ace. My original theory is that the 360 is best now, but that the PS3 will catch up in the future. So, the question is whether I'm willing to sacrifice short-run success and satisfaction for the long run success of the PS3. The FF games and MGS 4 are hard to pass up if I get a 360.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is honestly the smartest post I've heard regarding this. IMO I think it's far too soon to tell the fate of the PS3. I mean it's been on the market for about a year and the games that sold the PS2 haven't come out yet, but are expected in the next year. I love both the FF series (except 12 which was the only one I lost interest in, too much like a MMORPG) and the MGS franchise, so I couldn't be w/out the PS3. On the same note I didn't want to miss out on Halo 3 or (hopefully) KOTOR3.

Right now there are a lot of games for the 360, just not a whole lot that I can submerge myself into. For the PS3 there are even fewer. Since I had the $$ I invested in both, but until Halo came out there wasn't a single game I 'had to have' on the 360 that wasn't also on the PS3. But I think I have ridiculous game expectations that only a few games can attain FWIW.

Freakin 10-19-2007 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is honestly the smartest post I've heard regarding this. IMO I think it's far too soon to tell the fate of the PS3. I mean it's been on the market for about a year and the games that sold the PS2 haven't come out yet, but are expected in the next year. I love both the FF series (except 12 which was the only one I lost interest in, too much like a MMORPG) and the MGS franchise, so I couldn't be w/out the PS3. On the same note I didn't want to miss out on Halo 3 or (hopefully) KOTOR3.

Right now there are a lot of games for the 360, just not a whole lot that I can submerge myself into. For the PS3 there are even fewer. Since I had the $$ I invested in both, but until Halo came out there wasn't a single game I 'had to have' on the 360 that wasn't also on the PS3. But I think I have ridiculous game expectations that only a few games can attain FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agree
right now the PS3 will come nowhere close to bringing me the same enjoyment as my 360 does, but I expect that to change (while hopefully becoming more affordable at the same time)

gfire3245 10-19-2007 07:28 PM

Are you going to be using online (a lot of multi player? )? If so i think 360 should be your first choice.

plzleenowhammy 10-19-2007 07:37 PM

360 ainec

KLJ 10-19-2007 07:53 PM

lol @ this poll

sharpie 10-19-2007 09:00 PM

Ignoring non gaming features, I think it mainly comes down to what type of games do you like. For me I prefer the japanese games and FF13/versus and MGS/online are must haves. If you are a fan of Halo, 360 looks appealing, although Haze looks like it could be comparable.

The only upcoming exclusive for 360 that I'm personally interested in is Mass Effect. I suspect like most xbox games it will come to PC at a later date and I'll probably get it then.

If features like Blu-ray, free internet service, and Home are important to you, then PS3 looks appealing unless you prefer the 360 game lineup.

Keep in mind most people will vote for the system they own, so look at the game lineups and make your own mind up.

capone0 10-19-2007 09:03 PM

Right now PS3 doesn't make much sense as other posters have pointed out. Long term it definitely can be. I take now >>> future, knowing the future is unknown while I already know what the 360 really has to offer.

Dromar 10-19-2007 09:48 PM

IMO, it all depends how bad you want Halo 3. I've lost interest in the FF series lately, but if I were more into it, I'd get a PS3 when the next FF game comes out.

BTW, if you like FF, keep in mind Final Fantasy Tactics is being rereleased (again) for PSP. With multiplayer.

TheSalche 10-19-2007 09:49 PM

It depends on what exclusives intrigue you more. I'd say 50%-75% of the good games out there are on both the systems, but then when you weigh in exclusives (i.e. Halo 3 vs. MGS4) the decision should be made for you. Don't rule out the future, I'm sure you could be satisfied playing the few good games that are out for the PS3, a good portion of the holiday's games will be on the PS3 as well.

jalapenoguy 10-19-2007 11:31 PM

everyone is talking about exclusives but one thing to consider is that just about every multi plat game runs better on the 360 or come out earlier on the 360.

i think the choice is a no brainer if its only about playing games. if blu ray interests you then you have a tough decision on your hands.

SuperUberBob 10-19-2007 11:42 PM

Playing the games is the key, but I have no desire to play online. Most of the frills offered by these consoles are pretty much worthless to me. I want something that play games.

I might wait a little longer. I was hoping to see what Christmas would bring, but it seems that a lot of the good games aren't coming out until after then.

I asked you guys because I'm pretty far behind on video gaming because I haven't had the money to keep up with them. Hell, I'm still playing PS2 games.

20Five 10-20-2007 12:45 PM

the catalog of games with 360 is so far superior beyond that of ps3 that really this is a no contest.

Phoenix1010 10-20-2007 01:23 PM

You know you can buy outside of the established franchises once in a while. I think most people don't realize that everyone who made Final Fantasy good are off at another company now. I mean brands have a powerful effect on all of us, but just saying "I'm gonna ignore Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey because I've never heard those names before, I'm waitin' for my Final Fantasy" is a little sheepish.

And um, all three Metal Gears went to the Gamecube last cycle. Did I miss a press release where someone said MGS4 is an exclusive forever? I'd put the likelyhood of a 360 release at 1000 percent, even if it takes a couple months.

JuntMonkey 10-20-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know you can buy outside of the established franchises once in a while. I think most people don't realize that everyone who made Final Fantasy good are off at another company now. I mean brands have a powerful effect on all of us, but just saying "I'm gonna ignore Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey because I've never heard those names before, I'm waitin' for my Final Fantasy" is a little sheepish.

And um, all three Metal Gears went to the Gamecube last cycle. Did I miss a press release where someone said MGS4 is an exclusive forever? I'd put the likelyhood of a 360 release at 1000 percent, even if it takes a couple months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to make it interesting? I'll put up $1 but you have to give me 1,000:1. Since you're positive it's an easy buck for you.

Phoenix1010 10-20-2007 03:31 PM

Exaggerating obv. If I cared and enjoyed betting outside of poker I'd be comfortable laying 5:1 I think, but I don't and I don't.

Hume 10-20-2007 04:50 PM

If you make the cut-off point 12 months, I'd take that bet for substantial money.

daaaaahawkz 10-21-2007 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i love how 360 owners downplay the next 12 months in which the ps3 is gunna come out with numerous must have games by saying " dont worry guys, we'll get all those games eventually "

the truth is the 360 is dying already in pretty much every country except the US.... give these next-gen consoles 2 years and well see the same trends we saw with the original x-box vs ps2 "battle"

ThaSaltCracka 10-21-2007 05:41 AM

360 man.

The online play setup is fantastic.

Dire 10-21-2007 08:03 AM

As things currently stand, the 360 is a no brainer. It simply has better games, a whole lot more of them, its cheaper, many (perhaps the majority of) cross platform games run significantly better on the 360 than the PS3, etc. Kind of silly debating the future. It's not like buying a 360 (or PS3) right now precludes your later purchase of the other system. When those games you want on the PS3 come out, you can buy it then.

And like was mentioned, some of the games you're holding out for don't even make sense. The people who created Final Fantasy started their own development studio, Mist Walker, that's now working exclusively on the 360 (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and more to come). 'Final Fantasy' is now just Final Fantasy in name.

capone0 10-21-2007 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i love how 360 owners downplay the next 12 months in which the ps3 is gunna come out with numerous must have games by saying " dont worry guys, we'll get all those games eventually "

the truth is the 360 is dying already in pretty much every country except the US.... give these next-gen consoles 2 years and well see the same trends we saw with the original x-box vs ps2 "battle"

[/ QUOTE ]

It's dying. Really didn't know that. Why on earth would I buy a PS3 now? Great games, nope. Blu Ray, kinda. Expensive, yes. 360 is just a must better package now. You can point out the PS3 games that will come out but who knows how good they will be. They should be good but if they still have the framerate issues, I wouldn't count on it.

ThaSaltCracka 10-21-2007 08:37 PM

PS3 is droppings its price, but it will be for a model that is not backwards compatible for old PS2 and PS1 games. Not sure if thats a deal breaker or not.

For me, I can keep waiting for PS3 to drop even more. If there is eventually a PS3 game I want to play, I would guess I can pick up the system and game for probably $350 total (read: a long time).

I don't give a [censored] about blu ray or HD DVD. Seems like an arm race for something if you ask me.

360 has better games, the Live component is awesome. The Arcade is reminiscent of what Wii is doing with their online stuff.

I don't know much about PS3, but I am pretty damn happy with my 360 thus far. Plus with MS expanding the warranty to cover a few of the annoying defects, things look good.

I use to have a PS2, but then I switched to XBOX and the only game I was disappointed to not play was Kingdom Hearts 2. Basically every game is now available on both systems, especially the really popular sports titles.

jokerthief 10-21-2007 11:36 PM

I'm in the same situation as the OP. One thing I haven't seen in this thread it the failure rates of the Xbox. The red ring of death. I've heard that it affects 1/3 of Xboxes. Is the PS3 more stable or does it have issues as well?

Edge34 10-21-2007 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the same situation as the OP. One thing I haven't seen in this thread it the failure rates of the Xbox. The red ring of death. I've heard that it affects 1/3 of Xboxes. Is the PS3 more stable or does it have issues as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before Daaaahawks tells you that 95% of 360's sold today will have Red Rings of Death before Tuesday, the important things to know are that newer systems are having this problem at a much lower rate, and this is the primary reason MS expanded the warranty.

I don't think PS3 has as many failure issues, but they're still certainly there to an extent. I would not let those issues affect my purchase decision too much, if at all, if I were in the market for a next-gen system right now.

Thanir 10-22-2007 12:38 AM

I had a launch day unit that I had to return about 2 months ago (took a month to get a new one back.) If i had to do it again i would still go with a 360. The heating issues have been reduced, and a lot of ppl have had no problems.

Dire 10-22-2007 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds are your console won't fry. With the newer versions it's even more likely you'll never have a problem. If it does fry, you take 3-4 weeks to get it repaired completely free of charge. The PS3 has had a much lower failure rate, but is far from immune as more and more reports of their own version, the 'red light of death', are popping up. The rarity and simple solution even if you do fall 'victim' make this pretty much a nonissue.

ThaSaltCracka 10-22-2007 04:21 AM

which newer versions are seeing less of this? I bought one about 2.5 weeks ago.

Dire 10-22-2007 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
which newer versions are seeing less of this? I bought one about 2.5 weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

All models with HDMI. So basically all of them except the old non-hdmi premium/core models.

ThaSaltCracka 10-22-2007 01:01 PM

ok cool, that be mine.

vulturesrow 10-22-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? You are going to recommend a game system to someone on the basis of "the ps3 is gunna[sic] come out with numerous must have games"? Fact is there is very little in the PS3 game lineup worth having. And before you accuse me of being an Xbox fanboy, please understand I am a gaming fanboy. I've owned various iterations of the Nintendo console, PS1, Dreamcast, both Xboxes and have been gaming on PCs since the King's Quest days. There is no way in hell I'd tell anyone they should pick a PS3 over an XBox right now. I imagine eventually I will pick up a PS3. Once those "must have" games are released and I figure out whether they are worth a [censored].

daaaaahawkz 10-22-2007 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

approx. 30 percent of 360's are showing defects compared to one half of one percent of ps3's

thats .30 compared to .005

numbers like that dont lie folks [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

vulturesrow 10-22-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

approx. 30 percent of 360's are showing defects compared to one half of one percent of ps3's

[/ QUOTE ]

A complete non-issue in my opinion, especially given that you can get it replaced fairly easily.

capone0 10-22-2007 03:04 PM

Why do you care if the 360 does good or bad? Right now I think it's a pretty easy selection of what system to buy if you want to play now and not hope that there might be good games in the future. The Madden for PS3 was supposed to be a similar port of the 360, have you seen the difference in reviews due to the frame rate issue?

jokerthief 10-22-2007 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A complete non-issue in my opinion, especially given that you can get it replaced fairly easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a non-issue. 30% is a VERY high chance that you will have to put up with a major pain in the ass. It happened to me twice last generation, so I am sensitive to this issue.

vulturesrow 10-22-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a non-issue. 30% is a VERY high chance that you will have to put up with a major pain in the ass. It happened to me twice last generation, so I am sensitive to this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree its definitely a matter of opinion. But I dont think the negative of this issue tips the scale towards recommending a PS3.

blackize 10-22-2007 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I dont think the negative of this issue tips the scale towards recommending a PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Who cares if the PS3 never fails if there isn't anything worth playing on it?

jokerthief 10-22-2007 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I dont think the negative of this issue tips the scale towards recommending a PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Who cares if the PS3 never fails if there isn't anything worth playing on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it may be the deciding factor because of my past history with bricked consoles. The reasoning is that I don't want to buy either of them right now and am going to continue to wait at least a half year before making a decision. I'm waiting for both companies to iron out their technical difficulties. By the time I decide to buy, the PS3 may have caught up to the Xbox in terms of quality games.

TheSalche 10-22-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a. please cite source
b. OP is considering buying a new xbox console, the newer ones are less prone to failure than the old ones