Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Wallet Test (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519121)

Slow Play Ray 10-09-2007 01:17 PM

The Wallet Test

I came across this interesting experiment where they left 100 wallets to be monitored by hidden cameras, then they broke down statistically who did what with the wallets by various demographics:

http://www.wallettest.com/Lost_Walle...ults_Page.html

What do you guys think? Are women really that much more honest than men? Are white people more honest than black people? Is the sample size too small? Is it biased towards whatever region the testing was performed in?

RedRover 10-09-2007 01:19 PM

Re: The Wallet Test

lol

btmagnetw 10-09-2007 01:19 PM

wowowow gg white females

MissT74 10-09-2007 01:20 PM

Woot, we rock!!

T

MissT74 10-09-2007 01:21 PM

BTW, I would've kept it, LDO.

T

btmagnetw 10-09-2007 01:27 PM

5% of white females play poker, ldo

SamIAm 10-09-2007 01:29 PM

The sample size is pretty small. They're using numbers like "44%", when they really mean "4 out of 9".

prohornblower 10-09-2007 01:35 PM

would be awesome if there was a study on what was purchased with the stolen money. lol.

76% of the Old White people used the money to purchase medication or golf balls.

22% of the Young Black guys used the money to purchase lotto tickets and New Era baseball caps with flat bills.

etc., lol.

XXXNoahXXX 10-09-2007 01:40 PM

Chris Hansen from Dateline did a thing on stolen ipods where they tracked them and then ambushed the people.

i could only find teaser clips online, did anyone watch it?

27offsuit 10-09-2007 01:41 PM

racist ban!

imo

daryn 10-09-2007 01:42 PM

oh god i would love to see that chris hansen [censored]

z28dreams 10-09-2007 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The sample size is pretty small. They're using numbers like "44%", when they really mean "4 out of 9".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, exactly. Looking at percentages for each subgroup has almost no statistical relevance.

I don't remember stats perfectly, but I believe using a proportion the 80% confidence interval for 4/9 would be something like:

4/9 = 44%

.44 +- ( .44(1-.44) / 9 )^.5 * 1.28 = .21

So, we can say with 80% confidence that the true percent is between 23% and 65%. Ya, worthless sample size.

(feel free to fix my stats - it's been quite a while and it could be wrong)

NhlNut 10-09-2007 01:51 PM

What if you returned the wallet but kept the money? Or kept a $20 as a finders fee?

Having lost a wallet in the past, I was happy to get it back sans money.

En Passant 10-09-2007 02:09 PM

So if I say most black people are theifs, does that still make me racist?

skunkworks 10-09-2007 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if I say most black people are theifs, does that still make me racist?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, and a bad speller too.

Toro 10-09-2007 02:33 PM

What about Indians(Asian).

Two weeks ago I'm buying something in a convenience store and there's a wallet on the counter in plain sight. I look outside and see a young couple about to get into their car.

I say to the Indian clerk who is looking right at the wallet "did someone leave their wallet" and he says "yeah, that last guy". WTF. So I run out and tell the guy he left his wallet on the counter.

Now, it's possible the clerk was going to run out and get the guy if I didn't say anything but it sure didn't look that way.

Note: Too small a sample size? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TiK 10-09-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about Indians(Asian).

Two weeks ago I'm buying something in a convenience store and there's a wallet on the counter in plain sight. I look outside and see a young couple about to get into their car.

I say to the Indian clerk who is looking right at the wallet "did someone leave their wallet" and he says "yeah, that last guy". WTF. So I run out and tell the guy he left his wallet on the counter.

Now, it's possible the clerk was going to run out and get the guy if I didn't say anything but it sure didn't look that way.

Note: Too small a sample size? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, all Indians are theifs.

JackInDaCrak 10-09-2007 02:38 PM

everyone in that test was white or black. There are no other races.

RainDog 10-09-2007 02:38 PM

This just tells me that people with lots of money are likely to give the wallets back (ie. higher percentage of old people and white people with money than young people and black people).

But since women make less on average than men...well I guess they are just better people.

skunkworks 10-09-2007 02:38 PM

THIEF. T-H-I-E-F. EYE BEFORE EEE ACCEPT AFTER SEA

SimonBarSinister 10-09-2007 02:41 PM

Just confirms what we knew all along, LDO

sledghammer 10-09-2007 02:44 PM

It'd be easy to see the relationships if they did a proper analysis. I could do it in a few minutes if I had some software. They just need to run some logistic regression. Eyeballing it though, it looks like most of the blacks were young, and that young people tend to steal more, hence the blacks overall looked dishonest. Sample sizes are probably an issue there, and it would be easy to tell with logistic regression which effects are significant.

edit: the fact that he didn't do logistic regression for this leads me to believe he wasn't serious at all. Looking at the video, some of those wallets are in spots where it couldn't be returned anywhere. Maybe the individuals were going to send the wallet back to the address. Which is why more men took the wallets than females, since men are more practical and smarter LDO.

stephan 10-09-2007 02:56 PM

Lets be honest people. We all know that a black person is more likely to steal a wallet. You can argue that it's because they are poor or whatever, but the facts are the facts; they are more likely to steal.

ZenMusician 10-09-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
22% of the Young Black guys...purchase New Era baseball caps with flat bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFROFLMFAO

-ZEN

Dudd 10-09-2007 03:13 PM

I like how they have a large disclaimer about not wanting to confirm stereotypes or anything when the entire experiment is evaluation of the trustworthiness of different races, ages, and genders, not paying attention to any statistical principals at all. Yeah, I believe them.

Eurotrash 10-09-2007 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and the plural is thieves.

edit: ...since skunkworks wants everything to be accurate [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

XXXNoahXXX 10-09-2007 03:18 PM

As someone who did a lot of research in college, it always makes you cringe a little when you have to report results that are in line with racial stereotypes.

I did one study that dealt with children, and the asian kids were best at math, the black kids were more likely to be raised by their grandparents or single mother, and the spanish kids had higher absence rates.

skunkworks 10-09-2007 03:18 PM

Wrong. The plural of thieves is thiii.

Eurotrash 10-09-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wrong. The plural of thieves is thiii.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, imo [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

KilgoreTrout 10-09-2007 03:28 PM

Small sample

It's up to the "study" administrator to determine age/race.

There are scant details on methodology/protocol

cien mexicanos dijeron

skunkworks 10-09-2007 03:35 PM

Studies like this are so retarded. Its methodology is that of a middle school science project. It's socially irresponsible to put something like this up.

I love the disclaimer that's like, "Do not be a racist. These are just our results -- nothing more, nothing less." As though that prevents stupid people from believing this retarded, hack-job "study".

XXXNoahXXX 10-09-2007 03:45 PM

Q: Who decided if someone was "white" or "black"? Those labels can be rather subjective.
A: True. To make it less subjective - the movies were evaluated by three different adults. They were the webmaster, the webmaster's wife and the webmaster's father. Each of them was asked (to the best of their ability) to identify the race, sex and approximate age of the "wallet pickers". If two out of three agreed on a person's race - then that became the persons "official" race.

Q: Why do some of the wallet drops have the letter "B" after them? Such as "#9B", "#17B", "#76B" and "#78B"?
A: The 9th, 17th, 76th and 78th wallets had to be done over because the person who picked up the wallet was not filmed. For example:
#9 - When I dropped the wallet on September 8th 2006 - I had the camera pointing in the wrong direction. As a result I did not see who found wallet #9. So on September 28th 2006 I dropped #9B to replace it.
#17 - On September 11th 2006 the camera was pointed in the right direction, but I dropped the wallet in the wrong place. I did not see who found wallet #17. So on September 28th 2006 I dropped #17B to replace it.
#76 - On September 25th 2006 I turned the camera off after I saw a woman (from very far away) pick up the wallet. But when I looked at the film, after bringing it home, it clearly showed that the woman had NOT picked up the wallet. I did not see who found wallet #76. So on September 28th 2006 I dropped #76B to replace it.
#78 - Also on September 25th 2006 I dropped wallet #78 and walked away. When I came back I noticed the wallet was no longer where I had left it - so I assumed that some one had found and taken it. When I looked at the film later - it showed that a woman had found it, picked it up - but instead of walking away with it, she merely moved it to another location within camera range. So I never did see who really took wallet #78. So on September 28th 2006 I dropped #78B to replace it.
NOTE: When you consider that I did 100 wallet drops it's amazing that I only had 4 screw ups.

This guy seems really on top of his game, lol. Also, the wallets only contained $2, ID, and a fake gift certificate. I think if it was full of cash and credit cards, it would make return more likely.

prohornblower 10-09-2007 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your 3,000th post is a lot better than this one.

prohornblower 10-09-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how they have a large disclaimer about not wanting to confirm stereotypes or anything when the entire experiment is evaluation of the trustworthiness of different races, ages, and genders, not paying attention to any statistical principals at all. Yeah, I believe them.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I noticed that too. wtf? That was the ENTIRE IDEA OF THE ELABORATE STUDY!!! "We don't want to stereotype. But it's exactly what we're trying to accomplish here." ROFFLAMENTS.

skunkworks 10-09-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's hard to [censored] with perfection yo

prohornblower 10-09-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's hard to [censored] with perfection yo

[/ QUOTE ]

BASTARD! I was hoping for a BBV4LIFE NSFW link.

wiper 10-09-2007 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would be awesome if there was a study on what was purchased with the stolen money. lol.

22% of the Young Black guys used the money to purchase lotto tickets and New Era baseball caps with flat bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg racist...

and [censored] hilarious. i coach hs baseball, first day a black kid shows up with a flat billed hat. i snatched it off his head and bent it for him. he whined the rest of practice until we bent it back...

then, he became our centerfielder/leadoff hitter and hit .540 over the course of the season with 22 stolen bases in 20 games...

"where the hat however you want, son, just keep hitting!!"

Peter Harris 10-09-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
where the hat however you want

[/ QUOTE ]

good to see everyone raising their game.

grando 10-09-2007 08:52 PM

OMG BLACK PEOPLE STEAL EVERYTHING, INCLUDING BASES

Peter Harris 10-09-2007 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG BLACK PEOPLE STEAL EVERYTHING, INCLUDING BASES

[/ QUOTE ]

lol + racist ban

add me for laughing.