Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sashimi at home (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=237303)

offTopic 10-15-2006 10:34 PM

Sashimi at home

If any of you are sashimi/sushi enthusiasts, and you live near a Mitsuwa supermarket, I highly recommend giving it a try. My wife and I were a little skeptical, though I'd read good things, but we picked up hamachi, negitoro, kanpachi, some gari, and some seaweed salad.

The results are below:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...2p2/dinner.jpg

Quite tasty, the fish was not fishy at all, and the cost of all the ingredients (except the shoyu and the rice) was $21.88.

mason55 10-15-2006 11:02 PM

Re: Sashimi at home

Steps:

Buy fish
Cut fish

Yes?

funkymunky 10-15-2006 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steps:

Buy fish
Cut fish

Yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, we need milliondollaz to do sashimi.

Over/under on the loss of a digit?

offTopic 10-16-2006 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Steps:

Buy fish
Cut fish

Yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've got a good source of fresh fish, then by all means, go for it!

NT! 10-16-2006 01:06 AM

funny, my girlfriend just made some homemade sushi today and it was very good. this looks tasty.

pokerraja 10-16-2006 01:15 AM

this actually looks very good. damn OT got me hungry as hell today.

Farfenugen 10-16-2006 01:31 AM

Good stuff, no doubt. But I can pull that off here in the middle of the [censored] Midwest(costs a bit more not much though). Post something ridiculously baller and I'll be impressed. Otherwise... meh.

SamIAm 10-16-2006 01:41 AM

Rolling your own Maki is pretty fun, too. I bought a bunch of nice fish and a pile of standard maki ingredients, and had friends take turns makin' maki. It was a fun, social (easy) dinner-party.
-Sam

P.S. What are the purple things in the top left and top right corners of the OP's pic? Did you get special sushi hats?

offTopic 10-16-2006 01:47 AM

Far: Uh, yeah, I'll get right on that.

Sam: Stone coasters.

neuroman 10-16-2006 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good stuff, no doubt. But I can pull that off here in the middle of the [censored] Midwest(costs a bit more not much though). Post something ridiculously baller and I'll be impressed. Otherwise... meh.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't be bitter because you live in Nebraska, just make catfish sashimi instead.

OT, that looks delicious. Which part of the west coast do you live on?

offTopic 10-16-2006 02:14 AM

Sam: BTW, my family (which, recently, has been just my Mom and I, though we got my then-fiancee started last year) make futomaki every New Year's Eve. Good times. They definitely don't keep, though, so you've got to get them distributed and eaten within 24 hours, or they're just bad.

neuro: San Jose, CA

neuroman 10-16-2006 02:59 AM

Another good reason to be in CA.

Oh also, in case anyone reading this thread has a broken sarcasm detector:
FOR THE LOVE OF RAPTOR CHRIST, DO NOT MAKE SASHIMI OUT OF CATFISH

SamIAm 10-16-2006 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FOR THE LOVE OF RAPTOR CHRIST, DO NOT MAKE SASHIMI OUT OF CATFISH

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a well kept japanese secret that all the best fish for sushi survive by eating random dead crap they find at the bottom of lakes.
-Sam

ActionJeff 10-16-2006 03:15 AM

I love Sashimi at restaraunts. Pan seared with wasabi and other sauces (not sure).

Can never seem to get it to turn out good when I make it at home though.

PITTM 10-16-2006 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sam: BTW, my family (which, recently, has been just my Mom and I, though we got my then-fiancee started last year) make futomaki every New Year's Eve. Good times. They definitely don't keep, though, so you've got to get them distributed and eaten within 24 hours, or they're just bad.

neuro: San Jose, CA

[/ QUOTE ]

ohh, i live in santa cruz and im gonna be working full time in mountain view. maybe i can stop by this market. i went to that giant asian mall thing in cupertino with my asian ex gf once, is it by there? i always wonder if it would be okay for me to go out to the santa cruz wharf, buy some tuna and use it raw. its always seemed a bit sketchy to me.

rj

Allinlife 10-16-2006 03:23 AM

put philadelphia cheese (that is cut in thin square strips) in your maki. thank me later.

TheAntiPuritan 10-16-2006 07:39 AM

god I wish I had a local source for sushi-grade fish...(atlanta, GA)

szw 10-16-2006 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Where do you think Japanese restaurants in ATL get their fish?

szw 10-16-2006 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love Sashimi at restaraunts. Pan seared with wasabi and other sauces (not sure).

Can never seem to get it to turn out good when I make it at home though.

[/ QUOTE ]

So not sushi?

dcasper70 10-16-2006 08:17 AM

Hey OT,
Would you mind pointing out what's what in that pic (aside from the seaweed & rice)?

I'm a sushi/sashimi noob and just don't know...

SamIAm 10-16-2006 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have seen fish marked as "Sushi Grade" at Your Dekalb Farmers Market.
-Sam

http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/i...index_page.jpg

leafsrock 10-16-2006 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey OT,
Would you mind pointing out what's what in that pic (aside from the seaweed & rice)?

[/ QUOTE ]

from top left in this order:
"hamachi, negitoro, kanpachi, some gari, and some seaweed salad"

Mitsuwa sells sashimi in a package so you don't have to buy a fresh fish and cut it up urself. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. I'm not sure how many Mitsuwa supermarkets there are in the states but if u live in ny or nj, there's one in fort lee, nj and it's an awesome place to get japanese food.

offTopic 10-16-2006 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey OT,

[/ QUOTE ]

The names were left-to-right, and top-to-bottom, so the fish is hamachi, negitoro, and kanpachi in the top row, and the gari (pickled ginger) is at the lower left.

TheAntiPuritan 10-16-2006 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Where do you think Japanese restaurants in ATL get their fish?

[/ QUOTE ]

food service companies that bring it in from else where. I don't want to place a 20+ lbs order.

I have looked at Ranch 99 (asian meat/seafood/produce market) and a) i didn't see sushi grade fish, and b) I wouldn't trust it from the looks of their seafood/meat sections.

don't get me wrong, I know there are places to order from if I want it that bad, but usually preparing a special meal is not something I plan more than a day at most in advance. Plus even then its semi-bulkish for a sushi dinner for 2-4 ppl.

TheAntiPuritan 10-16-2006 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you. I almost tried this place a few weeks ago, but lost enthusiasm after a miserable trip to Ranch99.

Aloysius 10-16-2006 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have looked at Ranch 99 (asian meat/seafood/produce market) and a) i didn't see sushi grade fish, and b) I wouldn't trust it from the looks of their seafood/meat sections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear God do not attempt to get "sushi-grade" anything at Ranch 99! First, it's mainly Chinese stuff, second, the whole point to the place is it's super cheap and not necessarily the best quality meats / fish.

Here are Mitsuwa Marketplace Locations.

You can also always just go to your local fish marketplace and follow the sushi chefs around.

OT - that looks awesome, Ima gonna try it out.

-Al

SamIAm 10-16-2006 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you. I almost tried this place a few weeks ago, but lost enthusiasm after a miserable trip to Ranch99.

[/ QUOTE ]
YDFM is great. Cheap variety of great produce, cheap variety of spices, expensive ecclectic sauces, variety of cheeses, variety of butcher shop meats, variety of deli meats, variety of seafood.

To be honest, sushi grade fish is probably not as stable there as I'd like; they often don't happen to have any. Everything else on my list is there every time, and worth a trip. I buy the majority of my groceries there, since I live about 10 minutes away.
-Sam

P.S. I have no idea what "Your Dekalb Farmers Market" has to do with Farmers.

offTopic 10-16-2006 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OT - that looks awesome, Ima gonna try it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta go back there and try and find some of those purple yams that they were serving on Okinawa. They had good flavor, and were a really nice color. If they have them, I'm going to churn out a purple cheesecake!

skunkworks 10-16-2006 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear God do not attempt to get "sushi-grade" anything at Ranch 99!

[/ QUOTE ]
lol dirty chinese peoples.

Aloysius 10-17-2006 12:07 PM

Skunk - Chinese are so dirty and cheap [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Korean supermarkets are, for the most part, much better organized and cleaner I'd say.

OT:

[ QUOTE ]
If they have them, I'm going to churn out a purple cheesecake!

[/ QUOTE ]

You better post pics that sounds disgusting / awesome!

-Al

SomethingClever 10-17-2006 12:16 PM

Never heard of Mitsuwa, would Uwajimaya do the trick for sushi-grade fish?

uwajimaya.com

Boris 10-17-2006 12:33 PM

OT - My co-worker is taking me and badbeetz fishing for stripers this weekend. the co-worker says the plan is to catch stripers and then filet and eat raw with wasabi. I'm being serious. Is this a good plan?

offTopic 10-17-2006 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never heard of Mitsuwa, would Uwajimaya do the trick for sushi-grade fish?

uwajimaya.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did a quick google search, and based on that, I would have no problems giving this place a try.

SamIAm 10-17-2006 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OT - My co-worker is taking me and badbeetz fishing for stripers this weekend. the co-worker says the plan is to catch stripers and then filet and eat raw with wasabi. I'm being serious. Is this a good plan?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha ha. I just realized 'stripers' only has one P.
-Sam

cdxx 10-17-2006 12:54 PM

Han Ahn Reum (or H-Mart) usually sells sushi grade salmon and tuna that's very good. not much other than that though.

i did find a few seafood markets that turned out to be very good by just looking though the yellow pages. this was in Upstate NY, San Jose, Boston, DC, and Central VA areas. this pretty much means that you can find good fish almost anywhere, though it may cost upto $10-20/lb depending on the quality/rarity of the fish.

offTopic 10-17-2006 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual, I defer to m2d in these matters, but here is my experience:

- I have eaten sashimi surfperch from the parasite-ridden waters of Big Sur with no ill effects, and the firmer fleshed ones (ie, Barred Surfperch) were quite tasty.

- I have eaten sashimi striped bass from SAN LUIS FREAKIN' RESERVOIR (a long time ago) and so far, have suffered no ill effects.

- I've eaten ocean-caught striped bass sashimi, and it's delicious.

- My understanding is, you're supposed to cut the dark red band off the filets before eating, as that's where the nasty stuff accumulates in the meat.

I think, when you get down to it, as long as you don't eat a whole bunch of it every day for a week, it shouldn't be a big deal, and striped bass makes wonderful sashimi, so I say go for it!

Pudge714 10-17-2006 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha ha. I just realized 'stripers' only has one P.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Boris 10-17-2006 01:30 PM

OT - we are going to San Luis Reservoir. I'm gonna let Beetz be the guinea pig.

PITTM 10-17-2006 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

crimson challenge 3?

rj

offTopic 10-17-2006 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I am not a fisheries biologist or anything, but if you catch some legal-sized fish, I'd definitely cut out the red meat, and I would only eat sashimi from something close to barely-legal (heh) sized. They can't spawn there, so that fish is probably a fairly recent arrival from the Delta, and hasn't had a chance to soak up as much heavy metal and other crap in the lake.

I've heard that there's a Chinese restaurant on the road leading to Santa Nella from 152 where, if you catch a striper and take it in, they'll prepare it for you for a small fee...never tried it, though.

Good luck!