Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Help me find a new car (20kish) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=458427)

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 01:47 PM

Help me find a new car (20kish)

I'm looking for a new or used car that's around 20k. I'm willing to pay a bit more if it's really the car I want but I'd be happy with a car that is cheaper if it means getting a quality car. Ideally I'd like this car to last me 6years+
Gas/Insurance is a fairly big concern because I'll be on a budget when school starts again & my insurance isn't pretty I'd like everyone's opinions on some of these cars plus maybe some new/used cars I may have overlooked.

So far I am looking at:
New:
Honda Civic EX or LX(07 or 08) - great on gas and I love the newer look. I currently have a 97 EX so I love the familiarity. I test drove the stick and wasn't very excited about the pick up but I knew that coming in. Everything else about I love, especially the gas mileage.

07 or 08 Honda Civic Si - I loved driving this car and I'd be willing to pay a bit extra but this is going to make my insurance nutso plus it takes premium gas. Doesn't sound like it's realistic.

07 or 08 VW Rabbit - I was totally surprised and impressed by how this car drove but I'm not in love with how it looks. I like the 4 door a bit more style wise. The rest of the car is amazing for the value though, this thing blows anything away pick-up/speed wise with the I5 & the torque compared to anything in its class. Comes with almost everything standard. Gas mileage is a concern though & I've read some things saying it's even worse than the estimates.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer - I like the new body & everything about the specs, haven't test drove it yet

Used:
2002-2006 Acura RSX Type-S
Any older years of the Acura TSX but on the more expesnive side
Older Mini Cooper S

This is just where I've got started, looking for a few more ideas.

XXXNoahXXX 07-23-2007 01:49 PM

Re: Help me find a new car (20kish)

[fluffpop] get a super cool Scion tC!! [/fluffpop]

A S U 07-23-2007 01:53 PM

I currently shopping cars and i'm in this price range also. I going with a Civic LX coupe myself. Can't beat the reliability and gas mileage. Plus as you said the new body style is pretty nice.

mattnxtc 07-23-2007 02:00 PM

Saturn Aura...one of the higher rated cars overall this year. Ive heard nothign but great things about this car.

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saturn Aura...one of the higher rated cars overall this year. Ive heard nothign but great things about this car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard the same thing, but I think it's a tad on the expensive side for what it offers. If I went in that price range I'd probably get like a used TSX or similar.

omgitsmatt 07-23-2007 06:57 PM

The new Lancer is pretty cool, and significantly sportier than the non-Si Civic. I'd say go with that.

DLKeeper1 07-23-2007 06:59 PM

asian cars ftw

The Yugoslavian 07-23-2007 07:01 PM

honda lx

Yugoslav

mason55 07-23-2007 07:07 PM

Maybe we should open up a new forum for all the car related questions in OOT?

mason55 07-23-2007 07:08 PM

Or maybe..

Cars, Bikes, Boats etc (stuff with engines)

DLizzle 07-23-2007 07:58 PM

i just bought a mazda 3 GX and i highly recommend it. i test drove it and a civic, and it drove way better than the civic. other than being much better to drive and looking better imo, they are very similar cars, including price.

Rapidtransit 07-23-2007 08:07 PM

i sell hondas so i figured i'd throw my opinion in. obv the civic/civic si are very nice, especially if you are looking for great gas mileage/high resale value and long term ownership. A car I'd consider is the sentra se-r. everything i've heard about this car has been beyond positive. if i can answer any questions on anything feel free to pm me.

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The new Lancer is pretty cool, and significantly sportier than the non-Si Civic. I'd say go with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

From everything I've read/seen it looks like a sick car for the money. Getting out to test drive it ASAP.

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i sell hondas so i figured i'd throw my opinion in. obv the civic/civic si are very nice, especially if you are looking for great gas mileage/high resale value and long term ownership. A car I'd consider is the sentra se-r. everything i've heard about this car has been beyond positive. if i can answer any questions on anything feel free to pm me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I love how the Sentra looks but I've been a little bit worried about they have been pricing out(22kish) locally on the SE-Rs, but I'm going to go drive one/take a look anyways.

I have an internet offer for 16.2 on a 2008 Rabbit 2 door manual in candy white with everything but the wheels. Drive this car if you can guys, it's very nice. Much faster than anything in its class. I would be on this right now but I just can't get over how it looks. What about the 4 door..I think it looks pretty good but obv more expensive. 17.7 or so

2007 4 Door Rabbit in Candy White

Tron 07-23-2007 08:28 PM

Used ('06 or '07) Volvo S40, imo

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 08:35 PM

Does it make sense to buy a used car that has 40-60k miles on it as opposed to a new car for less or the same price? Just wondering if it really matters that much, not hating on the idea.

emon87 07-23-2007 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does it make sense to buy a used car that has 40-60k miles on it as opposed to a new car for less or the same price? Just wondering if it really matters that much, not hating on the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get a used car with that many miles but that has been maintained well, you will get a MUCH MUCH better value than a used car

kyleb 07-23-2007 08:49 PM

RSX Type-S

bacon sashimi 07-23-2007 08:50 PM

hey gator,

i just picked up a accord v-6 brand new for 20.7k out the door.

They are redesigning the accord for '08 so the dealers are getting incentives to get rid of 'em.

Great car, could not be happier.

GL,
BS

SackUp 07-23-2007 08:54 PM

Don't buy new. Getting a 1-2 year old car with low miles and a remaining warranty (or a certified car with a longer warranty if possible).

There is hardly any reason to pay for the out the door depreciation of new cars. Used cars offer the most value and many offer everything you could find in a new car.

Your range of cars will expand greatly if you look for used as well as tons of used cars are under $20k.

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 08:57 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I guess I left out I am also a first time car buyer as you can tell, so this really, really helps me out a lot.

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 09:09 PM

2 door or 4? I notice they don't have the cheaper v6s in 6 speeds though. That sucks.

daryn 07-23-2007 09:11 PM

f that, buy new baby. who cares about depreciation.. what are you looking to do, sell the car within a year?

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
f that, buy new baby. who cares about depreciation.. what are you looking to do, sell the car within a year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, this will be a long term car, that's why I am very interested in which way is the best way to go.

TheRover 07-23-2007 09:19 PM

if you're going to buy a new car be a balla and get something sweet looking instead of the ugly crap you've mentioned so far. buying a new low or mid level car instead of used seems pretty silly.

guids 07-23-2007 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, this will be a long term car, that's why I am very interested in which way is the best way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Used is better, it doesnt matter what you plan to do with it. You can buy an 06 w/ 12k miles on it, for abotu 10 to 20% cheaper than a brand new car, and you will not be able to tell the difference until you look at the odometer in most cases. Brand new cars are for suckers or people who drive ferrari's

A used mazda 6, w/ the 6 cylinder is a good economical roomy car. Ive never heard anything abd about it except some people dont like the dash.

Kneel B4 Zod 07-23-2007 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for a new or used car that's around 20k. I'm willing to pay a bit more if it's really the car I want but I'd be happy with a car that is cheaper if it means getting a quality car. Ideally I'd like this car to last me 6years+
Gas/Insurance is a fairly big concern because I'll be on a budget when school starts again

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're that worried about the cost of gas & insurance, you shouldn't be spending 20k on a car.

jjshabado 07-23-2007 09:39 PM

I really really like my new Honda Civic Hybrid. Its a bit above your price range, but its worth it.

guids 07-23-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really really like my new Honda Civic Hybrid. Its a bit above your price range, but its worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hybrids are a waste of money w/o the tax break.

jjshabado 07-23-2007 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. With the $2000 tax credit it saves you money.
2. I personally believe gas costs more than we pay for it, so I think hybrids are worth it.

guids 07-23-2007 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2. I personally believe gas costs more than we pay for it, so I think hybrids are worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the mileage isnt that much greater than a normal decent (toyota/honda) gas engine, and you are paying about 10% more. I thought the tax break was over, but apparently not, so its not as [censored] of a deal as I thought.

catalyst 07-23-2007 09:46 PM

I love the 04 and up acura TLs - but they might be a bit out of your range

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gas/Insurance is a fairly big concern because I'll be on a budget when school starts again

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're that worried about the cost of gas & insurance, you shouldn't be spending 20k on a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting help with the cost of the car but not with future gas/insurance. Any different?

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're going to buy a new car be a balla and get something sweet looking instead of the ugly crap you've mentioned so far. buying a new low or mid level car instead of used seems pretty silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not overly concerned about being a "balla" or anything but in the OP, I never mentioned any problems with buying a used car. If I do buy used though I'd like to save some money. I really would love a TSX but they are a bit over my price range, but maybe as the 08s roll out they will come down a bit. An RSX Type-S seems like a good idea for a used that's within my current price range.

Kneel B4 Zod 07-23-2007 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting help with the cost of the car but not with future gas/insurance. Any different?

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean it all depends...what would you do with a $12k car and $8k in cash?

what is your personal financial situation?

how much do you care about looking cool vs not being in debt?

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 10:16 PM

I'd rather not be in debt hence some of my "unballa" car likes. I think I could probably do both though there's certainly some good used cars out there for around 12kish allowing me to save some money. I was backing away from the 20k figure to begin with in attempt to save some money that's why I was looking at the rabbit, lancer & civic lx.

TheRover 07-23-2007 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not overly concerned about being a "balla" or anything but in the OP, I never mentioned any problems with buying a used car. If I do buy used though I'd like to save some money. I really would love a TSX but they are a bit over my price range, but maybe as the 08s roll out they will come down a bit. An RSX Type-S seems like a good idea for a used that's within my current price range.

[/ QUOTE ]

my point was that if you are concerned at all about the price; buy used. if not, don't buy ugly crap. imo the only reason to buy new instead of used is to show off. i wouldn't do that, but i can understand it.

Kneel B4 Zod 07-23-2007 10:24 PM

yeah, dont mean to be a nit, just saying that personal finance wise, a car is a pretty horrible place to put your money. I think if you're making good money and are in a good financial spot then you should go ahead and buy a sweet car. but for a student, who's worried about gas & insurance, it just seems to me that putting that money almost anywhere else would be a smarter move.

if I was in your shoes I'd be primarily interested in a car that's going to run well, like an older Civic or Accord or something from Toyota. buy a nice car when you're making money.

jjshabado 07-23-2007 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the mileage isnt that much greater than a normal decent (toyota/honda) gas engine, and you are paying about 10% more. I thought the tax break was over, but apparently not, so its not as [censored] of a deal as I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hybrid gets 49/51 vs 30/40 or less for the other Civics. Getting an extra 15 mpg is pretty decent. I'll average about 15000 miles/year so thats 300 gallons vs 430 gallons. Assume $3/gallon over the next 5 years and thats almost $2000. Add the $2000 tax credit and its easily as good of a deal as a normal civic. I'm not sure how maintenance costs will compare, although I would guess the hybrid is more expensive.

Saving 100+ gallons of fuel is worth it to me anyway. On top of that its only a matter of time before all cars go hybrid (there's nothing special about them, its just a way to improve the efficiency of the gas engine by storing energy that is usually wasted) and I feel by buying the hybrid now I encourage companies to invest in improving the technology.

TheRover 07-23-2007 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hybrid gets 49/51 vs 30/40 or less for the other Civics. Getting an extra 15 mpg is pretty decent. I'll average about 15000 miles/year so thats 300 gallons vs 430 gallons. Assume $3/gallon over the next 5 years and thats almost $2000. Add the $2000 tax credit and its easily as good of a deal as a normal civic. I'm not sure how maintenance costs will compare, although I would guess the hybrid is more expensive.

Saving 100+ gallons of fuel is worth it to me anyway. On top of that its only a matter of time before all cars go hybrid (there's nothing special about them, its just a way to improve the efficiency of the gas engine by storing energy that is usually wasted) and I feel by buying the hybrid now I encourage companies to invest in improving the technology.

[/ QUOTE ]

can i get your thoughts on a car i'm considering purchasing that gets about 10MPG around town?