Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Why are Las Vegas cabbies so weird about tips? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=435368)

Nate tha\\\' Great 06-25-2007 02:42 AM

Why are Las Vegas cabbies so weird about tips?

Had this experience two times this weekend. The cab fare was like $6.60 or $6.80 and I handed the cabbie a $10 and asked for two dollars back; both times I got a little speech from the cabbie about how hard he worked for his money and wound up parting with an extra dollar. It wasn't like I was representing myself as a high-roller; there were no discussions about my wins/losses in the poker room or anything like that and I was dressed/acting just like some normal low-key schlub. What gives?

PokerBob 06-25-2007 02:44 AM

Re: Why are Las Vegas cabbies so weird about tips?

i had the exact smae thing happen to me last week. i gave in and gave the guy an extra 2 bucks. the 2 bucks didnt mean anything to me, but i kinda feel like a pussy for letting him talk me into a bigger tip.

Yeti 06-25-2007 02:45 AM

not had this.

i get kinda annoyed about the 'how much would you like back?' thing, but i guess its standard? i'd prefer if they just gave me my change and then i would tip accordingly.

Yeti 06-25-2007 02:46 AM

btw if a cab is like $30 how much is it standard to leave?

ahnuld 06-25-2007 02:47 AM

I got some talk las week at 3:30 am about driving m out tot eh house we are renting. Because its 10 minutes from the strip he asked me if I knew how to take care of cabbies for going all the way out there.

shaniac 06-25-2007 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$35-40.

daryn 06-25-2007 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$35-40.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

Mockerman 06-25-2007 03:11 AM

I've gotten the same thing and it definitely annoyed me to no end. It is however the case that the cabbies in LV are getting screwed over by their board and essentially honest cabbies are losing out on prime spots/fares/pay owing to the way the schedule is devised. It's made up, according to 'angry cabbies', based on who makes the most money - and supposedly these are cabbies who take tourists on the most expensive routes, roll the meters, etc. I don't know if this is uniquely common to LV, but it's certainly the only place I've ever been (lived outside of NYC and in New Orleans) where cabbies will be openly hostile to their passengers. This is a link to a blog of one such 'angry cabbie' - http://blog.vegastaxidriver.com/.

Anyway, it relates to the fact that I guess cabbies get squeezed on the fares, plus the large number of cabs, on top of the poor allocation of said cabs and general stupidity by managment. Drives me nuts, but understand their position.

augie_ 06-25-2007 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$35-40.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that sux, i would give him two 20s.

Learning 06-25-2007 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$35-40.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure this means a $5-10 tip, not a $35-40 tip.

I thought the same thing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Yeti 06-25-2007 03:16 AM

pretty sure he understood that

10 seems like a lotttt

mle 06-25-2007 03:18 AM

you give driver $10 and ask for $2 back on 6.60-6.80 fare??

that is beyond cheap! give him the whole $10 you tight ass!

mle 06-25-2007 03:21 AM

maybe they are weird about it because they are trying to make a leaving...and people like you don't know how to tip!

renodoc 06-25-2007 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you give driver $10 and ask for $2 back on 6.60-6.80 fare??

that is beyond cheap! give him the whole $10 you tight ass!

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, basically.

I think the rule is to round up to the next highest reasonable cash amount. Overtipping is standard. This person got you to your destination alive, and didn't rob you.

Thus, a $10.75 cab ride and a $12.50 cab ride both "cost" $15. There is a no man's land between $8 and $10, because you can't give the guy a Hamilton for a $9.50 ride.

Also, if the cabbie breaks out the diggery-doo he gets a bigger tip.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_87r1Q_uqq6E/...00/diggery.jpg

daryn 06-25-2007 03:30 AM

ugh i absolutely hate the "trying to make a living" argument.

who isn't?

PokerBob 06-25-2007 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ugh i absolutely hate the "trying to make a living" argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. there are so many things that can be said in response that are (a) totally dickish (like "well then get a better job") but (b) not any more moronic than the "trying to make a living" line.

Nate tha\\\' Great 06-25-2007 03:35 AM

Wow, I would guess that there's a big difference between those of us that only take cabs a handful of times a year when we're somewhere on vacation and those of us (like me) who live in a major city and don't have a car and might take upwards of a hundred cab rides a year. Tipping a cabbie $10 for a $6.80 fare is insanity IMO and would cost me a few hundred bucks a year.

shaniac 06-25-2007 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

10 seems like a lotttt

[/ QUOTE ]

if he lets me smoke and/or is conversational and/or plays decent music on the stereo, I'll spring for a good tip. Two NYC cabbies have let me smoke joints in their ride; they got very good tips.

Reef 06-25-2007 03:35 AM

fare was like $10.20 at the most ... I hand the guy $12. He's like "c'mon man you only gave me $11" I say "no way I gave you 12" I grab the money and re-count since he's still holding it up by his head. I count it up and its 12 (2x5 + 2x1) .. take back a dollar bill. "now its 11" and leave.

snowbank 06-25-2007 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

10 seems like a lotttt

[/ QUOTE ]

Learning 06-25-2007 03:40 AM

My bad. I assumed the NVG Ballers would typically tip $10 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

shaniac 06-25-2007 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

10 seems like a lotttt

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

20% on $30 is $6...in Vegas, the way money gets thrown around, it hardly seems that brutal to throw down the extra $4 for an even $40 bill.

daryn 06-25-2007 03:44 AM

greater than 30% tip for a cab is kinda crazy imo

PoppinFresh 06-25-2007 03:45 AM

wow these are huge tips you guys are talking about...I always thought standard tip was 15% for a cab ride?

daryn 06-25-2007 03:47 AM

and i hate to even debate tipping you know, tip what you want that's cool.. but i just hate the idea of tipping for something like a cab. what the [censored], you know? just charge me X dollars and take me where i want to go. maybe if there's a girl in the back to give me a bj i will tip, that seems above and beyond reasonable service

TresDeuce 06-25-2007 03:48 AM

SOoooooooooooooooooooooo irritating the way they say "how much u want back?". I mean wtf?

shaniac 06-25-2007 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't see myself lying on my deathbed regretting the extra 5-10% I tipped Vegas cabbies.

glimmertwin 06-25-2007 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, if the cabbie breaks out the diggery-doo he gets a bigger tip.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_87r1Q_uqq6E/...00/diggery.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Driver is saying "Why bother going to Spearmint Rhino? Look, I can take care of you much better than those hoochies for a mere ten bux!"

shaniac 06-25-2007 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SOoooooooooooooooooooooo irritating the way they say "how much u want back?". I mean wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um what the hell else is he supposed to ask? You either hand the dude a bill and say "make it look like this" or "give me x-amount back" or the dude has to ask. You were aware before you entered the taxi that tipping was part of the deal, so it seems perfectly standard for him to ask how much you want back.

glimmertwin 06-25-2007 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Um what the hell else is he supposed to ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not supposed to ask anything. He's supposed to give you your change and wait and see what, if anything, you hand him back as a tip.

PoppinFresh 06-25-2007 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't see myself lying on my deathbed regretting the extra 5-10% I tipped Vegas cabbies.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you tip in restaurants?

shaniac 06-25-2007 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and i hate to even debate tipping you know, tip what you want that's cool.. but i just hate the idea of tipping for something like a cab. what the [censored], you know? just charge me X dollars and take me where i want to go. maybe if there's a girl in the back to give me a bj i will tip, that seems above and beyond reasonable service

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, that's how that industry is structured. It's not like a scam or a hidden agenda. These guys are usually leasing the car from the owner of the company, and obviously they depend on more money than the meter brings in to cover their nut. If you're not satisfied with the economic structure of taxi-driver gratuities, then stop tipping entirely and watch the cost of the meter go up 20%, or whatever, eventually.

shaniac 06-25-2007 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you tip in restaurants?

[/ QUOTE ]

20-30%

shaniac 06-25-2007 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not supposed to ask anything. He's supposed to give you your change and wait and see what, if anything, you hand him back as a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. He is supposed to expect a tip. That's the tacit agreement you participated in when you got in the taxi, even if you don't like it like that.

eviljeff 06-25-2007 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the rule is to round up to the next highest reasonable cash amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is completely useless

lapoker17 06-25-2007 03:57 AM

i side with shaniac. the rest of you must be great to hang out with - looking over the check to add up what on it was yours etc...

Courtesy Flush 06-25-2007 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i side with shaniac. the rest of you must be great to hang out with - looking over the check to add up what on it was yours etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Something tells me this guy never had to worry about money and has no clue what life is like for people who do.

daryn 06-25-2007 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why not just walk through the streets tossing change around

glimmertwin 06-25-2007 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. He is supposed to expect a tip. That's the tacit agreement you participated in when you got in the taxi, even if you don't like it like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are waiters, but when did you go into a restaurant and pay in cash, only to have the waiter ask how much you want back?

shaniac 06-25-2007 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Something tells me this guy never had to worry about money and has no clue what life is like for people who do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...don't know anything about LAPoker's work history, but I worked my ass off my whole life for crap money, both in jobs that were tip-based and other grunt jobs, and I still feel that with money, what goes around comes around.