Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Introduce me to quality foreign-language hip hop, please (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=355492)

DJ Sensei 03-14-2007 11:36 PM

Introduce me to quality foreign-language hip hop, please

I'm interested in broadening my horizons, however I have no way to find (or acquire) albums in german, french, or other languages. And of course when I say hip hop I don't mean crappy rap like you hear on the radio or MTV.

For reference, if it helps, my favorite english-language hip hop albums (not necessarily in this order) are:
Midnight Marauders
Dr. Octagonacolygst
Deltron 3030
Madvillainy
Illmatic
Liquid Swords

Even though I presumably won't be able to understand the lyrics, I believe that a significant part of the quality in great hip hop is the way that the lyricist can make his voice flow with the beats.

Macdaddy Warsaw 03-14-2007 11:58 PM

Re: Introduce me to quality foreign-language hip hop, please

I think the most famous Polish rap song is called "Scyzoryk" and I think it's by a guy named Liroy, but it seems he changed his name recently. If you google Scyzoryk you get results including a Polish wikipedia page. That said, I don't know if it's "quality" since this is just what I remember from going to grammar school in America with a whole bunch of other Polish kids of immigrants.

But yeah, there you go for Polish hip-hop.

I think there's a decent French rap scene too...Abstrackt Keal Agram is a band that's made it across the ocean. It's been a while since I listened to them, but there album Bad Thriller is pretty interested.

EDIT: I guess Abstrackt Keal Agram is more of like a synth-pop band or synth-hop band...I don't know but the song Et La Nuit s'éternise is pretty much straight hip-hop/rap. Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

Jigsaws 03-15-2007 12:43 AM

Dutch hiphop isn't really like the albums you mentioned. Most of the beats are a lot rawer, most of the energy seems to be focused on the raps. I mean, Madvillainy is brilliant, so don't expect that level of innovation.

Some names you might want to check out are Extince, Osdorp Posse and Opgezwolle. I'm partial to DAC (De Amersfoortse Cooperatie) myself, but only because they're from my hometown, and I know half of the members. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You can probably find most of these guys on [censored] somewhere, but you can listen to nonstop nederhop at http://www.nederhop.nl as well.

Vyse 03-15-2007 12:44 AM

There isn't.

rutang 03-15-2007 01:30 AM

I enjoyed Loop Troop. (I think they are danish or something. I don't really remember, it's been years since I heard the album I had) the song i remember is "Topp Doggz"

Africa has some really good hip hop (and hip hopish) stuff coming out. My favorite is Wale Oyejide. vocals on the album of his that I have (africahot!) are all in english, but the production is decidely african. I recommend it highly. (songs: Africahot, Falling)

you might be more interested in sombody like Reggie Rockstone (recommended song:eye mo de anaa)

go to africanhiphop.com and listen to thier radio broadcasts, you'll find some really good stuff.

I once heard a brazilian hip hop compilation I thought was really dope, it was called "the guide to brazilian hip hop" or something.

ed8383 03-15-2007 01:31 AM

finding quality foreign hip hop is like finding quality white reggae. Sorry but you won't find any except posers.

Ikonoclast 03-15-2007 01:38 AM

OK, Looking at your list of albums that are your favorites, besides Illmatic, you need serious introduction to better rap. Even though it is not foreign language hip hop, you should listen to Big L. His album titles are "Lifestyles of the poor and dangerous" and "The Big Picture". He also uses some spanish words incorporated in with english ones. Hands down the best rapper ever.

Ikonoclast 03-15-2007 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
finding quality foreign hip hop is like finding quality white reggae. Sorry but you won't find any except posers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matisyahu is good and he is white, and orthodox jewish

slickpoppa 03-15-2007 01:44 AM

I don't know jack about hip hop, but look up the song Tornado by a South African rapper named Mandoza. It's got a good beat. His songs are part English, part some african language.

Golden_Rhino 03-15-2007 01:47 AM

I know this thread is serious, and I would be curious to hear some of the stuff being suggested, but the thought of Polish and Dutch rappers makes me giggle.

DJ Sensei 03-15-2007 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, Looking at your list of albums that are your favorites, besides Illmatic, you need serious introduction to better rap. Even though it is not foreign language hip hop, you should listen to Big L. His album titles are "Lifestyles of the poor and dangerous" and "The Big Picture". He also uses some spanish words incorporated in with english ones. Hands down the best rapper ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll check him out for sure. Any further suggestions?

As should be obvious already, I generally prefer my music on the positive tip, and very original. Unless, like Illmatic, it is of amazing quality. For instance, while I think eminem is a creative and skilled rapper, I don't care for his music that much, because all he seems to do is hate.

Vyse 03-15-2007 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He also uses some spanish words incorporated in with english ones. Hands down the best rapper ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what's funnier: "He also uses some spanish words incorporated in with english ones" or "Hands down the best rapper ever."

SuperUberBob 03-15-2007 01:50 AM

Dragon Ash

Japanese rap

WhoIam 03-15-2007 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yellowman is good and white, but he's black.

Luisgallo 03-15-2007 07:03 AM

Articolo 31 in Italy

Victor 03-15-2007 07:13 AM

dj, listen to www.gtownradio.com

they play a good mix of non-mainstream music and its mostly hip hop and uptempo. they mix in some foreign tunes too and i often enjoy those songs more.

-zero- 03-15-2007 08:42 AM

Polish rap song I really like:

"Czasem Tak Bywa" by Jeden Osiem L. "Jak Zapomniec" is also good. I also like the fact that I have no idea what they're saying. Adds some mystery to the songs.

Quanah Parker 03-15-2007 08:49 AM

Plastilina Mosh

Control Machete

mic_check12 03-15-2007 09:08 AM

Saian Supa Crew - French hip hop c0llective.

TiK 03-15-2007 09:22 AM

I was listening to The World According to RZA the other day, and there was a song on it called "Please, Tends L'Oreille" featuring female French rapper Bams. I thought it was pretty good, and have been intending to check out more of her stuff.

verg 03-15-2007 09:54 AM

Wyclef's "Creole 101" Cd is mostly french and pretty decent.
The only other thing I have is a german guy, "torch" but I have't listened to the CD much.
I like the Roots Manuva CD "Brand New Second Hand". He is english but it sounds like he is speaking in another language.

zyrrth 03-15-2007 10:38 AM

Check out Roey Marquis II, german producer with sweet mixtapes.

Pete H 03-15-2007 10:48 AM

Quality hip hop?

rutang 03-15-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As should be obvious already, I generally prefer my music on the positive tip, and very original.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be listening to Ugly Duckling.

Morrek 03-15-2007 02:02 PM

loop troop. swedish band, although they often have songs in english they do mix in swedish sometimes

JJBuffone 03-15-2007 02:15 PM

It's not of a foreign language but you should check out UK's Dizzee Rascal. His album "Boy In Da Corner" is awesome.

PokerJans 03-15-2007 02:26 PM

Keny Arkana

He is on iTunes...amazing IMO and I cant understand a word

TheMetetron 03-15-2007 02:55 PM

All I know is L.O.C. and Suspekt from Denmark. I haven't taken a chance to listen to much more than a few songs from each though.

Edit: Niarn as well.

Barfunkel 03-15-2007 03:32 PM

Best hip hop from Finland:

MC Taakibörsta

The music video might be a bit too much for you americans...

Stig Dogg

Music video featuring the game that is not to be mentioned

zyrrth 03-15-2007 03:52 PM

Curse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZrVzoPSeTQ

Olli Banjo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2dMmXI5oc

Georgia Avenue 03-15-2007 04:27 PM

IAM is one of my favorite rap groups of all time... more Their best stuff was from the early 90s and that seems to be the kinda stuff you like...Have you seen the moive L'Haine? Pretty cool hiphop coming from france around then.

Peter Harris 03-15-2007 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Arito 03-15-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IAM is one of my favorite rap groups of all time...

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Also, if you went looking for Dutch stuff, you won't like anything, except Opgezwolle, which I recommend.

DJ Sensei 03-16-2007 08:45 PM

while were on the subject, my favorite music video ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuSdXKtJX4

from roots manuva, who speaks british

Voj 03-16-2007 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IAM is one of my favorite rap groups of all time...

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Also, if you went looking for Dutch stuff, you won't like anything, except Opgezwolle, which I recommend.

[/ QUOTE ]

IAM definitively..
Try also Fonky Family (also from Marseille) one of the guys is a crazy NL fish ... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

guy.incognito 03-16-2007 11:41 PM

Assuming that you're looking for hip-hop you haven't heard, I recommend instrumental stuff. I GUARANTEE you will love this stuff! (the albums you listed are my favs too)

RJD2- Dead Ringer
RJD2- The Horror
Blockhead- Music by Cavelight
Jel- Soft Money

This is a relatively new genre (probably my favorite), and I challlenge any hip-hop fan to hate on it!

elus2 03-17-2007 12:24 AM

http://www.myspace.com/nujabes01 (japanese producer)
listen to lady brown

http://www.myspace.com/outlinesparis (french producers)
listen to ba cash outlines remix

Narcoleptico 03-17-2007 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Find the song called "The Darkness" and you will not be disappointed. One of the best hip hop songs ever.

steel108 03-17-2007 06:07 AM

I'm a fan of MC Solaar, a french rapper. He might be too mainstream for you though

Voj 03-17-2007 09:51 AM

Ok since we're still speaking about French rap ; you should know that there are historically two tendencies : Parisian rap and Marseillaise rap.
A few good (prolly older - ranging from 15 years ago to 5 years ago; I'm less fond of actual hiphop at least local one) Marseillaise groups :
IAM
Fonky Family (art de rue for ex.)
Troisieme Oeil
Psy 4 de la Rime

A few good individuals :
Shuriken (from IAM)
Akhenaton (still from IAM ; prolly more known but faaar less appreciated in Marseille)
Soprano
Bouga

Few good collective albums :
Bad Boys de Marseille (collective)
Original Soundtrack from "Comme un aimant"

If you can't find those songs/albums feel free to MP me.
Enjoy.