Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Who is the third best quarterback in the NFL? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542434)

commish223 11-09-2007 07:53 PM

Who is the third best quarterback in the NFL?

Over a few drinks last night a debate ensued over who the third best quarterback in the NFL was. I was stating it was Ben Roethlisberger undoubtedly. Career record 41-14 as a starter, Super Bowl ring, 91.9 career passer rating, 72 TDs/49 INTs. Couldn't believe I heard one person say Tony Romo and another say Carson Palmer. Romo has I think 13 career starts, and Palmer has no excuse for being 2-6 with the talent they have on offense. Anyway, 2+2 who is the third best quarterback in the NFL, (assuming you put Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in some 1-2 order)?

legend42 11-09-2007 07:54 PM

Re: Who is the third best quarterback in the NFL?

Palmer.

rebuyboy 11-09-2007 07:56 PM

michael vick when hes no in jail

SL__72 11-09-2007 07:56 PM

Carson Palmer would be my choice.

lastchance 11-09-2007 08:02 PM

Brees, anyone?

Boris 11-09-2007 08:03 PM

I don't know who it is but it definitely is not Rothlisberger.

Dudd 11-09-2007 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Palmer has no excuse for being 2-6 with the talent they have on offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, I'm the Cincinnati defense, I take it we haven't met?

Jack of Arcades 11-09-2007 08:10 PM

Brees or Palmer...

commish223 11-09-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Cleveland Browns are 5-3 with the worst defense in the league. Palmer > Anderson, R. Johnson > J. Lewis, C. Johnson Houshmandzadeh > Edwards Jurevicius.

commish223 11-09-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brees or Palmer...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who have a combined 1 playoff win between them?

gusmahler 11-09-2007 08:13 PM

According to footballoutsiders, the answer is . . .

Derek Anderson of the Cleveland Browns

I'm not joking: http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb.php

Just for fun, the top 3 QBs each year this millenium:

1) Peyton
2) Jeff Garcia
3) Dante Culpepper

Warner
Gannon
McNair

Gannon
Pennington
Kerry Collins

Peyton
Trent Green
Matt Hasselbeck

Peyton
Culpepper
Brady

Peyton
Palmer
Brady

Peyton
Bulger
Brees

ClassicBob 11-09-2007 08:15 PM

Palmer

Spellmen 11-09-2007 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Cleveland Browns are 5-3 with the worst defense in the league. Palmer > Anderson, R. Johnson > J. Lewis, C. Johnson Houshmandzadeh > Edwards Jurevicius.

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you haven't noticed, Rudi Johnson has barely played, and Winslow >>>>>>>>>>>&gt ; whatever garbage Cinci rolls out at the TE position. In addition, they heavily utilize a 3rd receiver, which has been nonexistent with the Henry suspension and injuries.

Not trying to make excuses, but in summary, you are an idiot if you think Cinci is losing because of Carson Palmer

Pudge714 11-09-2007 08:18 PM

Gus,
Third in DPAR =! Third best QB if the question was this season who is has been the third best QB Anderson should be in the discussion.
It's Brees or Palmer. If you factor in SARP it's Favre or Romo.

SMIGLET 11-09-2007 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big point that everyone seems to ignore. A Qb's record as starter should not be a determiner of who is good or bad. There are 21 other starting players on the team, and that is the reason why roethlesberger's record is so good, and why Palmer's is so bad. Compare the 2 qbs and their teams in their careers. Roethlesberger has had a much much stronger supporting cast in every single year, yet palmer has far better numbers. I think palmer is better, but roethlesberger does have the potential to be as good or better.

Victor 11-09-2007 08:20 PM

lol at carson bledsoe. you guys dont watch enough bungles.

lastchance 11-09-2007 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brees or Palmer...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who have a combined 1 playoff win between them?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because, clearly, playoff wins are an excellent judge of how good a QB is and not dependent on any other factor at all.

J-dub 11-09-2007 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude threw for 400 yards, 6 scores, passer rating of 113 that game. Surely you aren't pinning that loss on Carson, are you?

Victor 11-09-2007 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude threw for 400 yards, 6 scores, passer rating of 113 that game. Surely you aren't pinning that loss on Carson, are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

dont forget the 2 atrocious picks that killed scoring drives.

BingoBango 11-09-2007 08:24 PM

I would probably say Palmer but I don't see why it would be crazy to say Tony Romo. Career stats: 38 TDs, 23 Ints, 97.4 passer rating. 14-5 regular season record as a starter.

Yea no playoff wins and one muffed FG but come on, are we saying the QB is the only position that matters in the playoffs? It's not like he played terribly in that game, he had a passer rating of 89. I agree that we need more stats on him to say he is the 3rd best in the league though

gusmahler 11-09-2007 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gus,
Third in DPAR =! Third best QB

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Just throwing out the list for discussion.

Top three QB ratings this season:
1) Brady 131.8
2) Big Ben 111.9
3) Garrard 102.9

Top scoring fantasy QBs this season
1) Brady
2) Romo
3) Peyton

bones 11-09-2007 08:28 PM

In 2 years, I think Ben will be #3 pretty easily.

I hate the bungles as much as the next guy, but Carson is really [censored] good.

commish223 11-09-2007 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm comparing teams. The Browns have the worst defense in the league and their 5-3. If you think the Browns have more offensive talent than the Bengals you are to quote another "an idiot".

ASPoker8 11-09-2007 08:30 PM

JON KITNA!

lastchance 11-09-2007 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm comparing teams. The Browns have the worst defense in the league and their 5-3. If you think the Browns have more offensive talent than the Bengals you are to quote another "an idiot".

[/ QUOTE ]
In case you haven't noticed, Rudi Johnson has barely played, and Winslow >>>>>>>>>>>&gt ; whatever garbage Cinci rolls out at the TE position. In addition, they heavily utilize a 3rd receiver, which has been nonexistent with the Henry suspension and injuries.

hoyasnaxa 11-09-2007 08:32 PM

Notice McNabb absent from all lists for good quarterbacking.

lastchance 11-09-2007 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Notice McNabb absent from all lists for great quarterbacking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Butnahhhhh 11-09-2007 08:36 PM

brett favre Look at the talent favre has on offense. he has absolutely no running game (they are using the 4th string RB last week) and the defense knows it yet he is still leading his team to victory, throwing almost every play, granted the defense is playign exceptionally well. How many Qbs in the NFL could be having a year like this wtih the talent the packers offense has. I can think of two others........mannning and brady

Zutroy 11-09-2007 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm comparing teams. The Browns have the worse defense in the league and their 5-3. If you think the Browns have more offensive talent than the Bengals you are to quote another "an idiot".

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bengals O-line has been pretty bad this year. If I'm not mistaken Levi Jones has missed quite alot of time and when he does play, he does so injured. Meanwhile the Browns have a criminally underrate Line. Thomas is already great and Steinbach was a very good pickup. I would say that the Browns have a better o-line at this point.

They also have a much better TE. Winslow has taken a lot of [censored] but he is still very talented and likely a top 5 TE. On the other hand, Kelly is a good team player and all but he isn't very good.

So the only area that the Bengals have a clear advantage in is at WR and even then it's not quite as large as you think. Edwards and Johnson have been pretty close this year. The Bengals do have a much better second WR though.

Still when you take everything into consideration it's a lot closer than you seem to think and it's very possible that the Browns have more offensive talent this year (aside from the QB position that is [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

Golden_Rhino 11-09-2007 08:39 PM

Heart says Favre, mind says Romo, or as the commentators would say it: Old Romo and Young Romo.

Franchise 60 11-09-2007 08:39 PM

Carson Palmer.

Def not Big Ben imo.

Jack of Arcades 11-09-2007 08:40 PM

I'm not really convinced Cleveland has been that much better than Cincy, at least nowhere near enough as the record would indicate.

commish223 11-09-2007 08:42 PM

Carson Palmer career record as starter: 35-34

Jack of Arcades 11-09-2007 08:44 PM

commish,

How good are Mike Vick and Vince Young?

Franchise 60 11-09-2007 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Carson Palmer career record as starter: 35-34

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, he is over .500 on the Bengals. So he is the main force behind a team going from historically horrible to competitive is your argument against him?

While Big Ben luckboxes into a great situation/team where he doesn't need to win games, just manage them, and now he is a better QB?

Lets give Big Ben all the credit for that Super Bowl win, I mean he did carry the team on his shoulders with that sub 30 qb rating.

yeotaJMU 11-09-2007 08:46 PM

tony romo... the fact that he has 1 season under his belt and is already playing as well as he is confirms this

yjbrewer 11-09-2007 08:48 PM

Over a few drinks last night a debate ensued over who the third best quarterback in the NFL was. I was stating it was Ben Roethlisberger undoubtedly. Career record 41-14 as a starter, Super Bowl ring, 91.9 career passer rating, 72 TDs/49 INTs. Couldn't believe I heard one person say Tony Romo and another say Carson Palmer. Romo has I think 13 career starts, and Palmer has no excuse for being 2-6 with the talent they have on offense. Anyway, 2+2 who is the third best quarterback in the NFL, (assuming you put Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in some 1-2 order)?

It ain't Palmer's fault. He doesn't play defense last time I checked. If you give Palmer a defense. They would probably be 5-1 now.

MacGuyV 11-09-2007 08:48 PM

I feel strongly the answer is Palmer. IMO people overestimate to what extent "surrounding talent" can make a QB look good. It works the opposite way too. I mean their WR's are legit but they wouldn't be great fantasy players w/ 'meh' QB's and I don't think there's any difference between Rudi Johnson and lots of "average RB's" on teams with bad QB's.

commish223 11-09-2007 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It ain't Palmer's fault. He doesn't play defense last time I checked. If you give Palmer a defense. They would probably be 5-1 now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fuzzy math.

commish223 11-09-2007 08:52 PM

Vick when active/healthy is a top 5-10 QB, while Vince Young is the most overhyped, overrated player in the NFL. He has 6TDs and 10 INTS this year.