Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Puzzles and Other Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Official bring the ANGEL back to average speed games thread! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=346727)

Boiler_bd 03-04-2007 05:32 PM

Official bring the ANGEL back to average speed games thread!

Village performace in average speed games

ASX - loss
ASIX - loss
ASVIII - loss
ASVII - WIN ZOMG!!
ASVI - loss
ASV - win (but wait there was an alpha wolf twist!?!?!)
ASIV - loss
ASIII - loss
ASII - loss
AS I - win (but with angel)

other similar games:
pogglesworth - loss
All star II - loss
Redux - loss
All star I - win (but with angel)

So without the angel the village is 2-10 in average speed or similar games and only has 1 win in a straight seer/wolf/villager games.

The village needs some help, either an angel, more peeks, or less wolves.

DISCUSS...

lastchance 03-04-2007 05:36 PM

Re: Official bring the ANGEL back to average speed games thread!

Vigilante >>>> Angel.

Enough said.

Boiler_bd 03-04-2007 05:47 PM

Iron_Yuppie 03-04-2007 05:48 PM

I like having an angel for the first couple days or so; it would tend to prevent the same players from getting killed night one all of the time.

I also had no idea that the village's record was so crappy in these games.

LuckayLuck 03-04-2007 05:49 PM

boiler, in
AS9 the game was extremely close (final 3)
AS10 the game would have been extremely close if the seer had come out with a list

personally I hate the role of an angel, since the wolves have to worry so much about the angel protecting the seer even if the seer comes out. I would support an angel role if the angel could not block the seer.

Even more imbalanced is, of course, an angel role protecting a seer who's a MASON with his backup seer. //blatant dig [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Boiler_bd 03-04-2007 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like having an angel for the first couple days or so; it would tend to prevent the same players from getting killed night one all of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking along the same lines, maybe an angel for the first 4/5 days, then just a regular villager.

LuckayLuck 03-04-2007 05:50 PM

it should probably be mentioned that in AS9 the game was imbalanced in favor of village and they still lost //veiled brag
of course, the seers had terrible luck with peeks

I think that next AS game I will definitely push the seers split the village in half plan

lastchance 03-04-2007 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think that next AS game I will definitely push the seers split the village in half plan

[/ QUOTE ]
This may just be a good plan considering how valuable villager peeks are. (just a thought)

soah 03-04-2007 06:04 PM

I'd prefer an angel over a seer because angels in the game protect the strongest players from getting killed right at the start before there's enough info to seer hunt, and because many games turn into "wait for the seer to tell us what to do" and the whole game revolves around how well the seer can stay alive and make good peeks.

Note that I'm not saying that an angel is as strong as a seer, simply that I think it's more enjoyable to have an angel rather than a seer.

LuckayLuck 03-04-2007 06:14 PM

I really like the angel role
I just don't like how angels can protect seers
I'd love angels whose protection on seers did nothing

soah 03-04-2007 06:18 PM

angel that can't protect seers or himself
two seers that each peek every other night

fun!

lastchance 03-04-2007 06:18 PM

Angel works, but it needs to be gimped so we don't have angel-seer madness.

What about backup-seering?

lastchance 03-04-2007 06:19 PM

Angels that can't protect someone in the same turn?

Also, vigilantes rule. We should use them more.

LuckayLuck 03-04-2007 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ZOMG BRILLIANT
Angels who cannot protect the same person two times in a row

lastchance 03-04-2007 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ZOMG BRILLIANT

[/ QUOTE ]
Combined with not being able to protect themselves + the seer?

Nicholasp27 03-04-2007 06:21 PM

could do an innkeeper...if seer is outed, then angel only protects him 2/3 of the time, with 1/3 going to another villager...so 1/3 hit seer, 1/3 hit villager, 1/3 hit air...but then following night it's 50/50 and then 100%...so seer can't just come out to be protected for long

otherwise, evil roleblocker stops it, but then it's getting beyond an 'average speed' ruleset

angel can protect seer every other night?

LuckayLuck 03-04-2007 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ZOMG BRILLIANT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
not necessary if angels can't protect the same persons two times in a row

lastchance 03-04-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ZOMG BRILLIANT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
not necessary if angels can't protect the same persons two times in a row

[/ QUOTE ]
Angels who can protect themselves are lame, yo.

LuckayLuck 03-04-2007 06:26 PM

I'd buy this 23 player average speed for a dollar
I might be too wolf friendly, might be balanced instead for 25 players (+2 villagers)

6 Wolves
2 Seers
1 Vigilante
1 Angel (can't protect self, can't protect same person two times in a row)
13 Villagers

shortline99 03-04-2007 06:51 PM

we don't need angels.

we need less retarded villages.

lastchance 03-04-2007 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we don't need angels.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL.

traz 03-04-2007 08:01 PM

I hate the angel role, but I might put up a vote for the next AS game

lastchance 03-04-2007 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd assume you like it, as it means you don't get auto-killed day 1.

LuckayLuck 03-04-2007 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd assume you like it, as it means you don't get auto-killed day 1.

[/ QUOTE ]
if I was a wolf and traz was a villager, I would definitely let traz stay alive all the way until the end of the game
I'm pretty sure he'd get halfway rule'd by then

let the metagame begin

chuckleslovakian 03-04-2007 08:10 PM

Yes, the village has a bad record in AS, but that doesnt mean the village hasn't been competitive in almost all of them

jjhender 03-04-2007 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we don't need angels.

[/ QUOTE ]

You rang?

Oh wait, you said less...kbye.

durron597 03-04-2007 09:00 PM

I think ASX is a pretty assured win if kbar came out with 3 confirmed villagers instead of letting most of us believe that a wolf was a villager.

ASVIII & ASIX both came down to the final three.

durron597 03-04-2007 09:02 PM

also, ASVI comes down to the final three if wdcbooks isn't retarded

ASIV was final three

All Star II Wolves only won because traz got replaced and we didn't think he would ditch as a wolf, also I knew for a fact they weren't consulting him about night actions (if he was a wolf) which helped his case, and the village had a 8-1 lead at one point

chuckleslovakian 03-04-2007 09:08 PM

ASIII was final 4 since someone got modkilled

Zurvan 03-04-2007 09:11 PM

I really hate playing as angel. I've never understood the hate for having angels in games, though. Sure, if your angel stays alive until the seer comes out, the village can coast. But, if the wolves are so bad they can't find the angel, do they deserve to win?

EDIT: Angels will reduce a lot of the frustration around the games, too. I know lots of people that are tired of dying early, so either don't want to play as much, or purposely act wolfy so they aren't killed night 1. Both these things suck.

chuckleslovakian 03-04-2007 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really hate playing as angel. I've never understood the hate for having angels in games, though. Sure, if your angel stays alive until the seer comes out, the village can coast. But, if the wolves are so bad they can't find the angel, do they deserve to win?

[/ QUOTE ]
how do you find the angel? Wolves find seers because seers are trying to give info to the village. Angel shouldn't play any different at all.

lastchance 03-04-2007 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, if your angel stays alive until the seer comes out, the village can coast. But, if the wolves are so bad they can't find the angel, do they deserve to win?

[/ QUOTE ]
2 or 3 extra peeks after the seer comes out makes all the difference in the world.

wdcbooks 03-04-2007 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Angels will reduce a lot of the frustration around the games, too. I know lots of people that are tired of dying early, so either don't want to play as much, or purposely act wolfy so they aren't killed night 1. Both these things suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG I couldn't disagree more. How does one find the angel? Do they leave angel hints? Finding the angel is nothing more than pure dumb luck. I remember a game early on where the seer was known right off because he played like crap, but he survived for five turns because the angel didn't post much at all. There is no skill involved in finding the angel, which is what makes having the role as a seer protector so frustrating.

durron597 03-04-2007 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG I couldn't disagree more. How does one find the angel? Do they leave angel hints? Finding the angel is nothing more than pure dumb luck. I remember a game early on where the seer was known right off because he played like crap, but he survived for five turns because the angel didn't post much at all. There is no skill involved in finding the angel, which is what makes having the role as a seer protector so frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't that all star 1? (i.e. the game that made us get rid of the angel)

lastchance 03-04-2007 09:17 PM

Angels will act differently than normal villagers, so it's doable. But unless you are a ridiculous wolf (read: shortline), the seer's getting extra peeks which screws wolves, and you need to kill people that you don't want to find the angel. So yeah, it's really not that easy to kill the angel.

shortline99 03-04-2007 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no skill involved in finding the angel, which is what makes having the role as a seer protector so frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree.

Zurvan 03-04-2007 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And we have a winner.

If you can find wolves as a villager, you can find power villagers as a wolf. I can rarely do either, but lots of other people can. All-star 1 was something of a crapfest all around, as I recall.

wdcbooks 03-04-2007 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no skill involved in finding the angel, which is what makes having the role as a seer protector so frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, there is minimal skill involved with finding the angel. It certainly isn't like finding the seer. I vowed never again to play a game where the angel can protect the seer for more than one turn and think I will be holding on to that resolution.

lastchance 03-04-2007 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you agree that Angel-seer is bah-roken madness considering how game-changing two extra peeks are?

shortline99 03-04-2007 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you agree that Angel-seer is bah-roken madness considering how game-changing two extra peeks are?

[/ QUOTE ]
If villages would learn how to properly cover for their seers, angels are completely unnecessary and incredibly broken.