Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Prominent NJ Net Comes out of the Closet? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=280771)

niss 12-11-2006 04:07 PM

Prominent NJ Net Comes out of the Closet?

I found this here.
Anyone hear this before?

December 7. The NBA is about to be rocked by one of the biggest scandals in league history. MediaTakeOut.com has learned that a prominent member of the New Jersey Nets has admitted to his family that he's bisexual.

In an exclusive interview, MediaTakeOut.com spoke with a friend of the family who claims the player "came out" during a recent trip home. According to our source, "when [the player] came out of the closet, everyone was shocked ... we would always see pictures of him with models. No one suspected that he was into men."

And what's more shocking, tells our source, is that the NBA player has entered into a romantic relationship with one of his childhood friends. The tipster explains, "the two boys were friends since childhood ... when [the player] went to the NBA, he brought along [the friend] as a personal assistant." The tipster added, "I don't know how to feel, I love them both but something doesn't seem right about them being together like that."

And the source tells MediaTakeOut.com that the NBA star's relationship with his former pal appears to be serious. The source explains, "[the player] could have kept it quiet and nobody would have suspected. He came out because he wanted us to accept his relationship." The source added, "those two have been friends for many years .. if their relationship is anything like their friendship, its got to be serious."

The NBA player, who is African American, has been linked to a number of women in the past - all of whom are Caucasian. He is also known for enjoying the night life with his teammates and good friend Tyson Beckford.

For legal reasons, MediaTakeOut.com has decided not to print the name of the player.

Developing...

capone0 12-11-2006 04:18 PM

Re: Prominent NJ Net Comes out of the Closet?

There are only 3 prominent NJ Nets.

VC
Jason Kidd
Richard Jefferson

Of those 2 have kids. The only guy who makes sense is RJ.

Is Tyson Beckford gay too? Wouldn't be suprised there.

LionelHutz00 12-11-2006 04:27 PM

Note that the report says that he's bisexual. He can still have kids, so Kidd and Carter are possibilities. Still, when I saw the title of this thread, the first name that came to mind was Jefferson.

TheRover 12-11-2006 04:33 PM

I heard the same about a certain Miami Heat player from a similar source.

LionelHutz00 12-11-2006 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard the same about a certain Miami Heat player from a similar source.

[/ QUOTE ]

RJ + DW = [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ?

Aloysius 12-11-2006 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are only 3 prominent NJ Nets.

VC
Jason Kidd
Richard Jefferson

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh - what about Uncle Cliffy bro?

-Al

samjjones 12-11-2006 05:05 PM

I'd guess its Jefferson, and if he is considering going public with this, he'd be a pretty great choice as posterboy of the gay athletic community (of which there surely is one).

hedxcold 12-11-2006 05:10 PM

haven't you guys heard jefferson talk? i wouldn't be suprised if he was

Aloysius 12-11-2006 05:10 PM

Sam:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...42/3395379.jpg

VC and Tyson Beckford...

Well I guess it's either Jefferson or VC, which is a shame, because if it were Kidd it begs the question "does he beats his boyfriend" also.

-Al

kidcolin 12-11-2006 05:11 PM

RJ has such pretty eyes. It has to be him.

Green Kool Aid 12-11-2006 05:11 PM

lol its probably vince carter, but this couldn't be any smaller of a deal.

there's lots of homosexual/bisexuals in professional sports.

kidcolin 12-11-2006 05:12 PM

also, lol at niss for reading mediatakeout. haha.

Aloysius 12-11-2006 05:12 PM

GKA - it would be a huge story if an active pro athlete came out in one of the major 3 sports.

-Al

niss 12-11-2006 05:13 PM

While I think the time for a prominent male athlete to be free to acknowledge his homosexuality or bisexuality is long overdue, apparently it remains a difficult thing. According to today's Star Ledger:

[ QUOTE ]
For weeks, there have been whispers -- from players and management types, who for obvious reasons don't want to speak for the record -- that this team has legitimate chemistry issues, personality conflicts and breakdowns in mutual trust. For the most part, these matters are unrelated to their jobs, but it has had a profound effect on their performances.

One player, who also requested anonymity so as not to disclose his team's dysfunction, was glib: "We'd make a pretty good HBO series right now," he said.

The hard evidence is sketchy, but the locker-room problems manifest themselves in a dozen little ways. Their fourth-quarter execution, for the most part, is awful. Their best players --notably Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson -- look distracted at times. Their inability to sustain effort is alarming. Their starting lineup, which was one of the most productive in the NBA last year and still pulls in 75 percent of the payroll, rarely takes control of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aloysius 12-11-2006 05:15 PM

Niss:

[ QUOTE ]
While I think the time for a prominent male athlete to be free to acknowledge his homosexuality or bisexuality is long overdue, apparently it remains a difficult thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This surprises you? If Jefferson or VC actaully get named in a legitimate news source, they are going to deny the hell out of it.

-Al

niss 12-11-2006 05:18 PM

No, it doesn't surprise me at all. Didn't mean to imply that it would.

Green Kool Aid 12-11-2006 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I think the time for a prominent male athlete to be free to acknowledge his homosexuality or bisexuality is long overdue, apparently it remains a difficult thing. According to today's Star Ledger:

[ QUOTE ]
For weeks, there have been whispers -- from players and management types, who for obvious reasons don't want to speak for the record -- that this team has legitimate chemistry issues, personality conflicts and breakdowns in mutual trust. For the most part, these matters are unrelated to their jobs, but it has had a profound effect on their performances.

One player, who also requested anonymity so as not to disclose his team's dysfunction, was glib: "We'd make a pretty good HBO series right now," he said.

The hard evidence is sketchy, but the locker-room problems manifest themselves in a dozen little ways. Their fourth-quarter execution, for the most part, is awful. Their best players --notably Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson -- look distracted at times. Their inability to sustain effort is alarming. Their starting lineup, which was one of the most productive in the NBA last year and still pulls in 75 percent of the payroll, rarely takes control of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about RJ, but you can pretty much say this about Carter since his Raptors days.

kidcolin 12-11-2006 05:24 PM

Honestly, I might come off as a bigot here, but I don't care, cuz I love the gays. But I understand why an openly homosexual player could hurt a team's chemistry, and it doesn't make his teammates bigots, either. Nor does it mean a team can't get over it. But if this story breaks, there's going to be a ton of left-wing media stories about how silly it is for it to cause any distraction and the NBA needs to host 6 hour diversity seminars. And that's just ludicrous.

TheRover 12-11-2006 05:30 PM

Obviously Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson's inability to sustain effort is because they're too tired from double teaming Tyson Beckford.

pokerraja 12-11-2006 05:57 PM

more nba players than you think are gay. word is that magic was bi-sexual also. as maybe cutino mobly mobley 'gay' pictures

Aloysius 12-11-2006 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Niss - oh ok, just your phrasing "apparently it remains a difficult thing" made me think you were kind of surprised.

And yeah, what KC said - outside of team chemistry issues, I think it might be a career killer. After all the noise / celebration of the "1st active pro athlete to come out" dies down, what you're left with is a guy who people don't want to play with, GMs wouldn't want, and for the most part, a fan base that would not prefer this athlete to other non-bisexual / gay ones.

-Al

MikeyPatriot 12-11-2006 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Niss - oh ok, just your phrasing "apparently it remains a difficult thing" made me think you were kind of surprised.

And yeah, what KC said - outside of team chemistry issues, I think it might be a career killer. After all the noise / celebration of the "1st active pro athlete to come out" dies down, what you're left with is a guy who people don't want to play with, GMs wouldn't want, and for the most part, a fan base that would not prefer this athlete to other non-bisexual / gay ones.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying if someone comes out, he'll get blackballed out of the league? There's a discrimination lawsuit just waiting to happen.

kidcolin 12-11-2006 06:26 PM

It is. However, I think a player would rather just play then go through all of that.. thus, it's no surprise that they keep it on the DL.

And it wouldn't even be a pure blackballing.. no team would want to be the bad guy, so someone would sign him. He'd probably get less $$$ and less suitors. So a law suit wouldn't even be a clear cut course of action.

Aloysius 12-11-2006 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying if someone comes out, he'll get blackballed out of the league? There's a discrimination lawsuit just waiting to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not outright black-balled, just that it would have negative repercussions on his career. Knowing this, I think it would really de-incent a player from coming out as bisexual or gay.

This is especially true of someone on a superstar level, where they would just lose alot of their fan base.

-Al

Jeremy517 12-11-2006 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Homosexuals aren't protected by the ERA, so a lawsuit wouldn't succeed.

MikeyPatriot 12-11-2006 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Homosexuals aren't protected by the ERA, so a lawsuit wouldn't succeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

ERA as in the Equal Rights Amendment that wasn't ratified and isn't relevant to this discussion?

There are no federal laws that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, but there are state laws that do.

I suppose I forget how homophobic certain sectors of society are.

Jeremy517 12-11-2006 06:51 PM

Sorry, I meant Equal Protection Clause, not the ERA.

And I wasn't saying it is right; I was just saying that it wouldn't be successful. I am pro-gay rights and think discrimination based on sexual orientation is very wrong.

ThaSaltCracka 12-11-2006 07:06 PM

This is definitely RJ. LOL at the Mobley pics.

Hornacek 12-11-2006 07:13 PM

this just made my day. How long til the Franchise and Mobley come out?

Aloysius 12-11-2006 07:18 PM

Gayshaun Prince FTL.

-Al

LionelHutz00 12-11-2006 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gayshaun Prince FTL.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

That would make my mancrush on him much creepier.

Aceshigh7 12-11-2006 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
more nba players than you think are gay. word is that magic was bi-sexual also. as maybe cutino mobly mobley 'gay' pictures

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. There were always rumors about Mobley and Francis. I always thought it was a joke. But When Mobley was traded from Orlando Stevie took it a bit too hard IMO, saying things like "I don't know what i'm going to wake up for in the morning." Very strange.

Aloysius 12-11-2006 07:36 PM

Aces - ahaah you are like quoting Hornacek word for word... also the top picture looks like it's Mobley and Marlowe from the Wire.

-Al

Hoover 12-11-2006 07:45 PM

I caught the Suns-Nets game, and RJ was totally not into it for most of the night. I pretty sure that I may or may not recollect seeing him gazing into the crowd, probably into a section which were mostly men. Vince also faked a lot of injuries (at least 2 or 3 times) during the game. It was a gay time all around 161-157.

pokerraja 12-11-2006 07:46 PM

since we are on the subject. i know for a fact that Junk Yard dog (something Williams) who was a former Piston was at least bi-sexual. we saw him at an exctasy rave in a Detroit Suburb all over some other dude. that was like 1999 fwiw.

Aloysius 12-11-2006 07:48 PM

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/Jerome_...55-240x240.jpg

Jerome.

-Al

samjjones 12-11-2006 09:43 PM

I heard that this guy will screw anything that will have him.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/ba...20-cassell.jpg

MCS 12-11-2006 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're saying if someone comes out, he'll get blackballed

[/ QUOTE ]

In more ways than one.

Seriously, I wish there were an openly gay male team sport athlete. Preferably a megastar.

samjjones 12-11-2006 09:47 PM

If Jayson Williams were still on the Nets, none of this would have ever come out.

Needle77 12-11-2006 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're saying if someone comes out, he'll get blackballed

[/ QUOTE ]

In more ways than one.

Seriously, I wish there were an openly gay male team sport athlete. Preferably Terrel Owens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this would just make this whole "TO saga" a little more interesting.