Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   help me pick a place, ill go (and trip report it) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=511229)

KRANTZ 09-28-2007 10:47 AM

help me pick a place, ill go (and trip report it)

The short story: I'm burnt out on city life. I want to flee Manhattan and relax for a week (next week). Do some reading and some writing. Maybe take a day trip somewhere nearby and do something different. I'll go anywhere in the US, and price isn't a concern.

Where would you guys go? I'm open to anything. I'll pick up and peace out to any place that sounds good, take pictures and trip report it here. Save me, internet poker wisdom forum.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-28-2007 10:51 AM

Re: help me pick a place, ill go (and trip report it)

galapagos island

ED: KKF, please step up the level of your posts. Thanks!

El Diablo 09-28-2007 11:03 AM

Krantz,

Give a little more info. Do you mainly want to just chill out? What is your idea of relaxing and fun?

My initial idea would be Hawaii. Have you been?

Anyway, the US is a big place, give a little more info on what you want.

KRANTZ 09-28-2007 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Krantz,

Give a little more info. Do you mainly want to just chill out? What is your idea of relaxing and fun?

My initial idea would be Hawaii. Have you been?

Anyway, the US is a big place, give a little more info on what you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have not been to Hawaii. That sounds kind of crazy and exciting, though. But maybe too much planning to do between now and next week.

Originally my idea was "bed and breakfast," do some reading in a quiet little town, write a piece of a script in a hole-in-the-wall restaurant with an amazing view of something. Then I figured I shouldn't limit myself. Maybe take a hike, maybe climb a mountain (which I've also never done).

I don't feel like partying at all, so I'm not concerned with nightlife - literally just a spot to rest, reflect, spend some time with myself.

I haven't traveled much at all for traveling's sake, so I don't really know what exactly I'm looking for. Which is why I'm curious about where you guys would go :-)

kutuz_off 09-28-2007 11:19 AM

That sounds like a Sideways-style trip over California wine country.

El Diablo 09-28-2007 11:46 AM

Krantz,

"But maybe too much planning to do between now and next week."

Go to Expedia. Get a plane ticket to Hawaii and book yourself a nice hotel room. Done.

There are tons of places in the general NY area that work. I'm not familar with that kind of stuff there, though.

Carmel or Monterey in CA are pretty cool relaxing places to go.

Boulder would be another good place to visit to just chill and get a little nature. You can hang out and do nothing, go to some bars if you like, go for great hikes, and if you decide you want to meet some people, there are tons of young people there.

solids 09-28-2007 11:47 AM

Krantz,

Not sure if you're down for the whole camping thing, but visiting a National Park seems like a good suggestion-- especially if you want time to reflect and relax. Something about the mountains, forest, and fresh air makes me think much clearer. Check out Yosemite or Sequoia National Park if you can. Another suggestion would be Acadia National Park in Maine (although it might be a little too cold this time of year). There are plenty of bed and breakfast-type places there, and it's right on the ocean.

If camping is no good, Hawaii is great idea, as well as anywhere in California.

oddjob 09-28-2007 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Boulder would be another good place to visit to just chill and get a little nature. You can hang out and do nothing, go to some bars if you like, go for great hikes, and if you decide you want to meet some people, there are tons of young people there.

[/ QUOTE ]

boulder sucks, unless you want to beat up spoiled and annoying trustafarians or douchebag frat boys. i actually find this relaxing, so...

Neuman101 09-28-2007 11:52 AM

hawaii is a bit far for one week...not that it isnt possible, but if your going to fly 12 hours out there, i think you would rather explore more as there is just so much to do and so many islands...

do you have any hobbies...golf, fishing, et...

This is the best time of year in California i think...I love the Monterey Peninsula (stay at spanish bay) or Napa Valley...

I have a vacation place in vermont and the fall foliage is getting into full swing, i could def recommend some great little places to relax up there, and it is beautiful with the leaves changing colors...

other idea: Bermuda (short flight from NYC, great climate)

PM me if you have any questions abut above, ive been to them all minus bermuda

matt85 09-28-2007 12:07 PM

Florida Keys?

Yeti 09-28-2007 12:09 PM

you probably want an escape from poker, but isn't the aruba tournament next week or something? maybe just go there, don't play the tourney and just chill out with friends.

SGspecial 09-28-2007 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

boulder sucks, unless you want to beat up spoiled and annoying trustafarians or douchebag frat boys. i actually find this relaxing, so...

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't imagine he was thinking of staying in the dorms or anything. There are lots of places in the mountains around there to just chill (literally this time of year). If you happen to go, you have to check out Sherpa's in boulder. It's a nepalese restaurant owned by a real sherpa/mountain climbing guide. Best yak stew in colorado [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

XXXNoahXXX 09-28-2007 12:13 PM

you say US because I assume you don't have a passport? if you're the type that likes to take these type of spur of the moment trips, i suggest getting one.

i think it'd really cool to get a place on Cape Cod (MA) this time of year, because tourists are all gone, but its still been in the 70s and 80s and you could probably sit on the beach alone and just read and write and chill. In addition, you could rent a house instead of a hotel room, then just go food shopping, so you wouldn't even have to deal with going out to every meal alone.

danzasmack 09-28-2007 12:17 PM

I'm with Noah here. Also keep in mind the X hours it takes to get somewhere.

If i were you i would take the limoliner just like there and back. God I love that bus.

knowledgeORbust 09-28-2007 12:21 PM

This spring I stayed in Savannah, GA. Seems kind of up your alley. It's a cool city with unique architecture and a cool vibe. There's stuff to do if you just want to wander around for a few days. I spent hours and hours chilling in parks, reading & writing and such. The city-layout is really unique and there are parks everywhere.

There are some slummish parts of the city, but downtown is gorgeous.

gumpzilla 09-28-2007 12:31 PM

I like El D's idea of Boulder a lot. I've never been, but it's someplace I'd really like to check out.

For a shorter trip, you could maybe consider the Berkshires. It's probably about three hours by car from where you are (or you could fly to Albany or Hartford and drive an hour), and fall is definitely the best season they have to offer, although it's a little too early for it to be truly awesome. In about two weeks the foliage will probably crush. Plenty of hiking and you'd definitely be out of the city.

inferno 09-28-2007 12:48 PM

go to st. tropez or monaco in france!!!

Boris 09-28-2007 01:17 PM

If I was in Manhattan I would go to the Dominican Republic. Sweet Caribbean island and you can be a King for low dollars.

Hawaii is a long friggin flight from NYC.

dlk9s 09-28-2007 01:31 PM

Door County, WI.

Kneel B4 Zod 09-28-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you say US because I assume you don't have a passport? if you're the type that likes to take these type of spur of the moment trips, i suggest getting one.

i think it'd really cool to get a place on Cape Cod (MA) this time of year, because tourists are all gone, but its still been in the 70s and 80s and you could probably sit on the beach alone and just read and write and chill. In addition, you could rent a house instead of a hotel room, then just go food shopping, so you wouldn't even have to deal with going out to every meal alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are both great this time of year. not nearly as crowded as the summer, still nice weather, a very easy plane ride from NYC, etc.

it's cheaper now, but still expensive compared to almost anywhere else.

Aloysius 09-28-2007 01:56 PM

OP - I like the Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard idea. I know the Hamptons isn't a particularly original suggestion for someone in Manhattan, but off-season Sag Harbor is serene and relaxing, imo.

[ QUOTE ]
If I was in Manhattan I would go to the Dominican Republic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. Only a 3.5 hour flight from JFK. I always went cheaper, but if you wanted more lux my friend said that Tortuga Bay is very nice.

-Al

oddjob 09-28-2007 01:57 PM

fire island!!

xorbie 09-28-2007 02:02 PM

Krantz,

Maine. Go up, place by a lake, relax. State motto is "The way life was meant to be" and it lives up to it. Thank me later.

BigPoppa 09-28-2007 02:03 PM

If you have a passport, I like the Bermuda or Domincan Republic ideas.

If not, then the Florida Keys.

Aloysius 09-28-2007 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Carmel or Monterey in CA are pretty cool relaxing places to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great suggestion Diablo, even better if OP likes to camp (Big Sur is right there). Was just in Carmel Valley for a wedding, I forgot how beautiful that part of the country is. Pretty ridiculous. Also nice day trip to SF option.

-Al

James282 09-28-2007 02:08 PM

Krantz,

Arches National Park,

Yellowstone National Park,

Zion National Park

will all be absolutely incredible this time of year, will be peaceful, ABSOLUTELY inspiring, and will be like nothing you've ever seen before. If you want more details on specifics at what to do at any, let me know. As far as convenience goes, you can fly right into Yellowstone and fly pretty close to the other two.

James

James282 09-28-2007 02:10 PM

Also, Hawaii is [censored] incredible too, but if you are going to go, don't go for just a week to sit around and write. Too much to do and see there to not waste a trip, imo.

James

lapoker17 09-28-2007 02:13 PM

when i was on the east coast and needed similar breaks i would go to bermuda. super close and easy and sept/oct is the perfect time to go. there are obv more exciting places to be, but going somewhere far away when you're not in the mood is always too much of a production for me.

PartyGirlUK 09-28-2007 02:15 PM

Come to Chicago and provide me with a bit of joy away from math in the spare few hours I get. Also, awe at how transformed my apartment is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

lapoker17 09-28-2007 02:17 PM

this is a pretty sweet time of year to be in chicago.

Aloysius 09-28-2007 02:17 PM

James - I think that's true for Maui and Oahu, but Kauai is an island I could see as a nice spot to just chill, relax, write etc.

But it's like an 11-hour flight from NYC to any of the islands, I would personally go somewhere closer for a week-getaway type thing.

-Al

James282 09-28-2007 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
James - I think that's true for Maui and Oahu, but Kauai is an island I could see as a nice spot to just chill, relax, write etc.

But it's like an 11-hour flight from NYC to any of the islands, I would personally go somewhere closer for a week-getaway type thing.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I'm kinding of saying the same thing. Hawaii is a world away, and worth going to for a much longer time than a week(if possible).

James

PartyGirlUK 09-28-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weather is really sick right now, so much nicer than in Feb!

Kneel B4 Zod 09-28-2007 02:38 PM

Bermuda is a great idea as well. short flight from NYC, nice place/time to visit. tied with Nantucket for #1 idea in thread!

Xaston 09-28-2007 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Krantz,

Maine. Go up, place by a lake, relax. State motto is "The way life was meant to be" and it lives up to it. Thank me later.

[/ QUOTE ]

And get some lobster.

4_2_it 09-28-2007 03:37 PM

Trapp Family Lodge.

It's a 6 hr or less drive from NYC and is in the Green Mountains of Vermont. You can climb Mt Mansfield one day and visit Burlington and Lake Champlain the next. Ben & Jerry's factory is nearby and there are several small wineries around. Magic Hat has a its brewery in Burlington and Long Trail's brewery is right of the interstate on the way there.

I gotta believe that the foliage is probably starting to change as well.

AZK 09-28-2007 03:40 PM

if you do the hawaii thing, go for 2 weeks, go to one of the smaller islands and just find a place hwere you can live/rent a room with locals and have them teach you how to surf. Or something like that. Take this idea and apply towards anything naturish... probably be the experience of a lifetime. Be it hiking/biking/snow boarding/whatever

UMTerp 09-28-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The East side of Maui would fit the bill too.

UMTerp 09-28-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weather is really sick right now, so much nicer than in Feb!

[/ QUOTE ]

And if money isn't a concern, catching a Cubs playoff game at Wrigley would be pretty sick too.

Though Chicago sounds a little busy for what Krantz is looking for.

Aloysius 09-28-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The East side of Maui would fit the bill too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean as far east as Hana? Or around Paia / Haiku area? Either way I'd agree with you. I actually prefer staying in Paia vs. say Lahaina because it feels less touristy and is a bit more removed. But for someone visiting for the first time, I think it'd be a waste to just relax, when there is so much to see and do in Maui.

BTW if you haven't been the Paia Fish Market is absurdly good for lunch. I always get the Opah Burger, but their fish and chips is also delicious.

-Al