Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Ty Stewart's "blockbuster" idea for the 2008 WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=524123)

Zetack 10-16-2007 09:51 AM

Ty Stewart\'s \"blockbuster\" idea for the 2008 WSOP

X-Posting in NVG and Tournament Circuit.

Ty Stewart, Director of Sponsorship and Marketing for the World Series of Poker has this idea for the WSOP. I don’t like it much unless somebody adds 3 or 4 million dollars to the final table payouts on top of the prizepool contributed by the players.

[ QUOTE ]

They have a brief discussion about the 2008 World Series of Poker, for which Ty has a blockbuster idea.
He wants to broadcast the Main Event final table LIVE.
WITH HOLE CARDS.
The idea would be to play down to the final table and then adjourn the Series. All the other episodes of the Main Event would air and TV would have a couple months to get to know the players. Then they would reconvene and play a sequestered final table and the later portion of the final table would be broadcast live. The audience would see every player's cards and commentators would be able to analyze the strategy in real time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to source

Mr Sarcastic 10-16-2007 10:06 AM

Ty Stewart\'s fawning fan boi blog

The linked blog was possibly the most stomach-turning piece of "fan-boi whacking-off" I have ever seen in poker. Jesus, that was bad.

Bottom line quote:

"Ty Stewart sees The Big Picture. This has the potential to turn televised poker into a fringe sports-like activity with a loyal but scattered audience into a reality-programming phenomenon on the order of Survivor, American Idol, or Dancing with the Stars."

Yeah, right. Good idea.

bigshowmack 10-16-2007 10:10 AM

Re: Ty Stewart\'s fawning fan boi blog

So they obviously wouldn't allow anyone in the studio other than the players and crew then right?

dlorc 10-16-2007 10:13 AM

Horrible idea.

thatpfunk 10-16-2007 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The linked blog was possibly the most stomach-turning piece of "fan-boi whacking-off" I have ever seen in poker. Jesus, that was bad.

Bottom line quote:

"Ty Stewart sees The Big Picture. This has the potential to turn televised poker into a fringe sports-like activity with a loyal but scattered audience into a reality-programming phenomenon on the order of Survivor, American Idol, or Dancing with the Stars."

Yeah, right. Good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhhhhhhhhh that would be [censored] awesome for the games? why wouldnt you want this to happen?

i hate mtts but i think this would only be awesome for poker.

thatpfunk 10-16-2007 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Avatar of Wine 10-16-2007 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the appeal of poker to the average donk watching on TV is not in the "nuance" of the game, nor even in the strategy - it's in the white-knuckle moments, the all-ins, and the massive bluffs.

This would be terrible for poker, because only good, thinking players would have any interest in watching through hours upon hours of live final table broadcast. The average Joe who watches poker on ESPN would have almost zero interest in 20+ hours of final table broadcast, when the majority of hands never go to showdown (or even the turn).

Open raise/call/c-bet/fold . . . open/resteal/fold . . . fascinating stuff there for your average 1/2NL live player, huh?

I would guess viewers and ratings drop dramatically for the final broadcast.

newhizzle 10-16-2007 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure if you read it correctly or not, but it seems he is suggesting playing the world series down to the final table of the main event, taking a 2 month break, then finishing it

Yeti 10-16-2007 10:37 AM

guys are you serious, it would be JUST LIKE american idol!... if the american idol finalé involved 12 hours coverage of rehearsals and set design before showing the actual performances.

thatpfunk 10-16-2007 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure if you read it correctly or not, but it seems he is suggesting playing the world series down to the final table of the main event, taking a 2 month break, then finishing it

[/ QUOTE ]

do you care about the integrity of the game or the history of the wsop or something?

its weird and different but if it is able to get more fans/players then i dont care what they do to the final table tbh.

AoW, I think that is a valid point that I didnt consider.

Chunky 10-16-2007 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
guys are you serious, it would be JUST LIKE american idol!... if the american idol finalé involved 12 hours coverage of rehearsals and set design before showing the actual performances.

[/ QUOTE ]
"...the later portion of the final table would be broadcast live" so there wouldn't be 12 live hours. I guess they'd recap the final table play to a certain point and then show the conclusion live?

New2NL 10-16-2007 11:15 AM

No chance if I was at the Final table would I want this, jesus I have to wait months to get my hands on life changing cash that I paid to win? This isnt a WSOP Freeroll where I loose nothing, I am in the hole 10K and waiting to get my cash.

Terrible Idea he should be shot

adrockuk 10-16-2007 11:24 AM

I've got an even awesomer idea, instead of being busted when you lose your chips as soon as you lose your chips there's a phone vote and you get to swap chipstacks with whoever the American public think has played the worst. That way there wouldn't be any bad beats...... OMG this HAS to happen.

sapol 10-16-2007 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got an even awesomer idea, instead of being busted when you lose your chips as soon as you lose your chips there's a phone vote and you get to swap chipstacks with whoever the American public think has played the worst. That way there wouldn't be any bad beats...... OMG this HAS to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

We could do voting just like in the first WSOP but now over the phone and sms !!

Now for real:
IMO this could be very good for the games.

It's not like the strategy usually discussed on tv is high level. Usually it's more like "i like that bet" or "he puts his opponent on a draw".

However, if that were not the case and discussions involved words like "sklansky bucks", "galfond dollars", "equity", "EV" or "zeebo's theorem" then I'd suggest in the name of 2+2ers not to air it live.

[Deleted User] 10-16-2007 11:39 AM

Isn't this against Nevada gaming laws? I thought I remember hearing something about nobody but the player being allowed access to his cards during play. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Bonified 10-16-2007 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought. Plus, the time taken wouldn't be a problem. Just whack the blinds up to 1M-2M. It's what the public wants.

Harvester 10-16-2007 11:49 AM

With out editing and showing the action hands, it is boring a paint drying to the average donk. They want to see AA over KK, or the super bluff, or the sick suckout...I don't think the average player can sit and watch a poker game in real time and get too excited. I think the attention span of the average TV watcher is something like 10 seconds.

Over all I think that poker in popularity is waining on the TV, I see less and less of it.

Repsychler 10-16-2007 11:50 AM

I kinda like the idea of seeing the final table live, but I don't know if thats what average Joe wants to watch.
This idea of adjourning for two months so the pre-recorded days can be broadcast first is total crap though.

MeanGene 10-16-2007 11:52 AM

The only way I see this working is if Harrah's adds A LOT of cash to the final-table prize pool. You're asking people to pick up and leave their lives again two months after the fact--not a big deal for a poker pro, but perhaps a substantial burden for a cardiologist who lives in Australia. Some folks do have responsibilities they can't easily abandon, not even for ten million bucks.

What if a player can't make it two months later? They break their back skiing? They get shingles? They get busted for solicitation (again) and have to spend some time in the pokey? Let's not even think about the possibility that a player might die in the interim. I don't think seeing the chip leader get blinded off for seven hours would make for compelling television.

I'd have to think that the final table players would all receive SOME prize money before the 60-day hiatus--maybe they'd each get the 9th place amount. What happens to the interest on the rest of the prize money? Certainly that's not going to be a huge amount, but that money should of course go to the players. But that's a minor quibble.

I don't really see how the WSOP final table could compare to shows like American Idol or Dancing With the Stars. Those shows do a great job of turning unknown performers, over a period of weeks and months, into people the audience cares about deeply. I don't see how the audience could ever form that sort of emotional connection to the players at the WSOP final table. And the WSOP Main Event is really the only tournament that could possibly be a big enough stage to pull it off.

It's an interesting idea, it's thinking outside the box and that should be applauded. How practical it is, or how successful a live broadcast would be...I'm not so sure.

olivert 10-16-2007 11:53 AM

I like the idea, but not for the final 9.

The HEADS-UP match, and ONLY the heads-up match, should be saved for live TV with a 2-month break and presented "Mark Burnett" style.

DLizzle 10-16-2007 11:57 AM

the worst thing about it would be the fact that everyone at the final table would have months to prepare. I'd be so pissed if I was there if my terrible opponents (see this years WSOP ME final table) had every pro they could find giving them pointers.

[Phill] 10-16-2007 12:09 PM

Firstly,

If they did this, im sure they would play out the money for 10th (or whatever the FT bubble boy got) - this way you get a large chunk of your winnings and turn up to play for the rest. If they didnt, i wouldnt be shocked if i saw a lawsuit or at least bad publicity from some poor bastard who went bankrupt whilst effectively having an asset of sorts worth 500k+ (or whatever it is).

Secondly,

Whoever said it is right. The chances of someone dieing or becoming significantly injured to the point they cant return is significantly higher in a 2 month period than in the overnight break they would otherwise have. Its really a remote chance, but you definately gotta feel bad for the guy who could win 8 million in a couple month who dies when he gets in a car accident he dies instantly on the spot. Would his widow be allowed to play? Im not joking there.

Thirdly,

Watching live poker is boring as watching paint dry. Whilst it didnt help that it was really really late here in the UK, i watched a lot of the WSOP FT live and Jerry Yang tilted me SO much taking 5 minutes per hand placing a chip on his cards, working out what to bet and push the chips forward. With holecards it *may* be better to watch, but sure as hell not for your average joe public.

Finally,

This opens a gazzillian doors to cheating that i dont even need to touch on. With that many millions on the line, do you REALLY think someone wont find a way to cheat? I mean, he has 2 months or so to plan ahead for it.

Bonified 10-16-2007 12:09 PM

That's true enough. All the degen "TV pros" would be fighting to offer their "coaching services" for a percentage.

Just think how tight the bubble would be 10-handed though. Unless of course Hellmuth was short-stacked, then ESPN would just cancel the bubble again.

A downside for TV though would be there presumably couldn't be an audience of hooting idiots, and players would miss out on high-fiving their posse after folding their way up another place, which is an integral part of the experience.

Seriously, I doubt this will happen any time soon but that's the way it's going. It's really amazing how much [censored] poker players will put up with from TV when they're not kicking in a single cent.

Willy 10-16-2007 12:49 PM

Re: Ty Stewart\'s \"blockbuster\" idea for the 2008 WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
X-Posting in NVG and Tournament Circuit.

Ty Stewart, Director of Sponsorship and Marketing for the World Series of Poker has this idea for the WSOP. I don’t like it much unless somebody adds 3 or 4 million dollars to the final table payouts on top of the prizepool contributed by the players.

[ QUOTE ]

They have a brief discussion about the 2008 World Series of Poker, for which Ty has a blockbuster idea.
He wants to broadcast the Main Event final table LIVE.
WITH HOLE CARDS.
The idea would be to play down to the final table and then adjourn the Series. All the other episodes of the Main Event would air and TV would have a couple months to get to know the players. Then they would reconvene and play a sequestered final table and the later portion of the final table would be broadcast live. The audience would see every player's cards and commentators would be able to analyze the strategy in real time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to source

[/ QUOTE ]
this is a great idea but they need to let each player select four alternates who can be substituted in during the game.
Then when they get heads up the arm wrestle for the whole thing. Wow that would be exciting.

davidlong14 10-16-2007 12:51 PM

...absolutely terrible, horrible, no-good, rotten, putrid idea...knowing Harrah's track record, it's probably already been greenlit...

Imrahil 10-16-2007 12:58 PM

Winner takes all ftw.

memento_mori 10-16-2007 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the idea, but not for the final 9.

The HEADS-UP match, and ONLY the heads-up match, should be saved for live TV with a 2-month break and presented "Mark Burnett" style.

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda sucks if the heads-up portion only takes 10 hands

SenatorKevin 10-16-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's in violation of the gaming commissions rules. It *has* to be taped delayed at least an hour. Not to mention, it'd be boring as hell.

heater 10-16-2007 02:40 PM

This idea is beyond stupid.

88jayhawks 10-16-2007 02:56 PM

i can't believe this is being discussed seriously by some people. this is, by far, the worst idea to ever come up with regards to the WSOP. this is so stupid and will never happen.

NNNNOOOOONAN 10-16-2007 03:00 PM

er...

why don't they just change the tv programming. wouldn't it be easier/ better to just air the episodes the week after they actually happen?

people are getting paid a lot of money to edit/fix up/do voice over stuff for the series episodes, so why not do it right away and air the episode right away?

then they could pull this off a lot easier.

FortWorthJim 10-16-2007 03:44 PM

There's no way this could work for the entire final table. Too long, too boring for all but the most dedicated players/fans.

Heads-up only would be interesting, though. This usually would not take an inordinate amount of time.

But a sponsor must kick money into the prize pool for this to happen.

And the turnaround for these episodes must be much faster. More than two shows a week would have to be shown.

Maybe make it like a TV miniseries, with two episodes a night for five straight days, then the heads-up match live on Saturday.

AE6 10-16-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Winner takes all ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]
yessssss, they should do this

Bonified 10-16-2007 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But a sponsor must kick money into the prize pool for this to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. If it came down to it, who wouldn't play ? Very few of the players that ESPN feature heavily I suspect. Until enough people actually vote with their feet, TV will continue to get everything it wants from poker absolutely free.

TStoneMBD 10-16-2007 04:28 PM

hopefully if he does decide to do this that hell at least have the common sense and decency to pay out 10th place money to everyone that final tables before they come back 2 months later.

The 13th 4postle 10-16-2007 04:42 PM

I would love for the PPV to have the hole cards but, you can't make players wait 3 months! Have an hour delay between the action and the broadcast and obviously this would be sooner then all the episodes on ESPN. It would be a lot better then the final episode.

With the hour delay they can do all the work on the TV also.

EWS87 10-16-2007 04:52 PM

didn't read the whole thing so this might have been mentioned...but what if somebody makes the final table

then dies in a car accident a month later before the final table recommences???

this is a stupid idea...if anything take one day off and broadcast the final table live only...i personally couldnt watch the wsop broadcasts of the main event this year...focus more on final table and drop day 1-5

jackhigh 10-16-2007 05:43 PM

They tried this a few years back at "Turning Stone"??? With Ivey and D'augustino heads-up at the end. Boring as hell to most non players. Back then the commentators were saying how the broadcast was going to revolutionize poker tv - never happened! If this idea had even the slightest ratings promise, you would have every stupid sleazeball TV producer trying to copy it -think "Annie Duke Takes on the World - Live and Unedited!!!" or "Comedians vs The Young Gun Pros starring Erin Ness (AS THE PRO!) - 12 hours of donkalicious poker action! Barf!

Not many non-players watch TV poker much anyway.

jackhigh 10-16-2007 05:49 PM

Whatever happened to Erin Ness anyway? I guess she couldn't cut it as a "Young Gun" of poker and is back to fetchin coffee over at Maxim.

We need more "little darlings" of poker just to show how much skill is involved in the WSOP.

EWS87 10-16-2007 06:07 PM

she successfull multitables 25/50 last time i heard