Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   calvin ayre challenges patent troll to fight for bodog name and $1mill (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527408)

shamasotoole 10-20-2007 08:33 PM

calvin ayre challenges patent troll to fight for bodog name and $1mill

More proof that Calvin Ayre is the coolest ceo on the planet: he has put an open challenge to Scott Lewis (the patent troll) for an MMA style fight. He said he'd put up $1,000,000 and the rights to the Bodog name in a blog entry at CalvinAyre.com.

Please go and digg this so it gets attention, maybe picked up elsewhere, and MAYBE we'll get to see Calvin Ayre in the ring settling this [censored] the old fashioned way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://digg.com/world_news/Calvin_Ay...or_Bodog_Brand

sapol 10-20-2007 08:41 PM

Re: calvin ayre challenges patent troll to fight for bodog name and $1

now thatīs professional

JJBuffone 10-20-2007 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
now thatīs gangsta

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

hime 10-20-2007 08:51 PM

Who's the bigger douche?

Stake Monster 10-20-2007 08:53 PM

I think he's awesome.

Scansion 10-20-2007 08:55 PM

Wow, that is pretty baller.

DOH!_28 10-20-2007 10:09 PM

That is pretty ballsy but what is their beef with each other, the article did not specify except something about extortion and that could be a number of things, anyone know?

glimmertwin 10-21-2007 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Please go and digg this so it gets attention, maybe picked up elsewhere, and MAYBE we'll get to see Calvin Ayre in the ring settling this [censored] the old fashioned way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The man is a grandstanding bonehead. The patent troll has got him thoroughly thrashed in the US courts. Why then, would he bother to fight him for it?

Now if he was offering double or quits, and put the money in escrow in a US bank, he might get a taker. Otherwise, why would patent guy bother? He's already won it.

2p2J 10-21-2007 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
now thatīs professional gangsta

[/ QUOTE ]

g-p 10-21-2007 04:00 AM

seriously hes balling out of control, what a cool guy

rakemeplz 10-21-2007 04:05 AM

rename to gobobodog poker

RikaKazak 10-21-2007 05:15 AM

Re: calvin ayre challenges patent troll to fight for bodog name and $1mill

That is AWESOME!!!!

Makes me want to play bodog [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

CASHius-Clay 10-21-2007 05:29 AM

Calvon Ayre knows how to settle business [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

TPayne 10-21-2007 07:21 AM

Holla?

NeedATimeMachine 10-21-2007 02:20 PM

GOOOOOOOOOO Calvin!

Autocratic 10-21-2007 02:56 PM

Kinda cool, but this reeks of "I'm gonna lose, but I'll make you look like a pussy in the process."

wiper 10-21-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm gonna lose, but I'll make you look like a pussy in the process."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
GOOOOOOOOOO Calvin!

[/ QUOTE ]

warrantofice 10-21-2007 03:55 PM

Am I the only person to think this is really really stupid?

This is Donald Trump stupid.

DesertCat 10-21-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is Donald Trump smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

For Calvin, any PR is good PR, especially when he has a new domain name to promote.

AntonHeat 10-21-2007 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 13th 4postle 10-21-2007 05:48 PM

Go Bodog.com.... I mean bodoglife.com

flipdeadshot22 10-21-2007 06:11 PM

"and I win simply by having the opportunity to give you a [censored] good face pounding."

I'm pretty sure I love this guy

glimmertwin 10-21-2007 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now if he was offering double or quits, and put the money in escrow in a US bank, he might get a taker. Otherwise, why would patent guy bother? He's already won it.

[/ QUOTE ]

On re-reading, I see that he is offering an extra million or so. Which may or may not be balla, depending on how much the patent troll's suit was for. If he already owes patent guy ten million, then it's not balla. If he owes patent guy 500,000, then it's balla.

Still moronic though. Patent guy's won. Bodog lost. We've got your web site, and any money you try to put on US soil eventually comes straight to us. How is that *not* winning?

It's like me saying to sbrugby -- OK, you might be able to beat me at cards, but I could still kick the [censored] out of you. Who cares?

samsdmf 10-21-2007 07:15 PM

Why was the bodog name copyright infringement anyway, hadnt the company been set up for years?

N 82 50 24 10-21-2007 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mustmuck 10-21-2007 08:03 PM

Although I think what Lewis did was pretty low, this is just a cheap publicity stunt on Ayre's part.

galmost 10-21-2007 08:32 PM

1 mil fight yo

glimmertwin 10-22-2007 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why was the bodog name copyright infringement anyway, hadnt the company been set up for years?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was patent infringement rather than copyright infringement. Presumably, the people who sued them had a patent on some part of the software that they use to run their website. In most parts of the world, you can't patent software -- its seen as akin to trying to patent a mathematical algorithm -- but in the USA, you have all these trolls who have been patenting all manner of nonsense. Some of it trivial, some of it already existing in prior art, etc. etc. Then they lie in wait until someone builds a business that uses something similar, and when they are making a lot of money, they sue and settle for licensing fees.

In this case, they sued, IIRC, Bodog didn't show in court, so the troll was awarded the win. But because they've got no assets in the USA, the troll went for what they could get their hands on -- ie. the domain name.

If I were the patent troll, I'd do double or quits. Your patent name back plus my two million vs. your two million for the winner of a 25,000 word thesis shoot-out on contract law -- written under exam conditions.

Lets see how big his cojones are then. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Curse 10-22-2007 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's like me saying to sbrugby -- OK, you might be able to beat me at cards, but I could still kick the [censored] out of you. Who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know man, he used to play rugby..

mhcmarty 10-22-2007 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It was patent infringement rather than copyright infringement. Presumably, the people who sued them had a patent on some part of the software that they use to run their website. In most parts of the world, you can't patent software -- its seen as akin to trying to patent a mathematical algorithm -- but in the USA, you have all these trolls who have been patenting all manner of nonsense. Some of it trivial, some of it already existing in prior art, etc. etc. Then they lie in wait until someone builds a business that uses something similar, and when they are making a lot of money, they sue and settle for licensing fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this pretty much the same thing Blackberry went through? They were sued based on a patent that specified a process or how the e-mail servers were set-up.

ALLEN BOND 10-22-2007 12:20 PM

What a bad ass.

glimmertwin 10-22-2007 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't this pretty much the same thing Blackberry went through? They were sued based on a patent that specified a process or how the e-mail servers were set-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, exactly. You've got these companies that do nothing that buy up weird little patents for peanuts, just on the off-chance that a few of them would hit. When it does, they find IP lawyers to take the case on a contingency basis and split the winnings. Even if the case is winnable, many firms will settle because the cost of settling is usually less than fighting and winning the case. In IBM vs SCO, it's estimated that SCO have burned through way over $10m dollars in legal costs and they haven't even got to trial yet.

Also: I didn't really mean I could kick sbrugby's ass. I have no doubt he could kick my ass at poker and at fisticuffs. I was just making a comparison regarding how pathetic such people sound.

grdred944 10-22-2007 01:49 PM

"...coolest ceo..."

I lol'd

grdred944 10-22-2007 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"and I win simply by having the opportunity to give you a [censored] good face pounding."

I'm pretty sure I love this guy

[/ QUOTE ]

Another person puffing themselves up behind a keyboard knowing that his threats of violence are beyond empty? Yeah, whata guy.

PITTM 10-22-2007 02:21 PM

calvin ayre always struck me as more "giant attention whoring douche who no one should care about" than "everyones favorite ceo".

so sick bro 10-22-2007 03:21 PM

Direct link to the whole entry on his blog-

http://www.calvinayrelife.com/hog-he...roll-hell.html

this guy is the [censored] man

grdred944 10-23-2007 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
calvin ayre always struck me as more "giant attention whoring douche who no one should care about" than "everyones favorite ceo".

[/ QUOTE ]

He is Hugh Hefner without the class, brains and business acumen.

Obfuscation 10-24-2007 01:59 PM

I can't get over all the Ayre balllicking in this thread. Guy's a moron.

The patent troll is laughing in his face right about now.

daveT 10-24-2007 04:30 PM

Didn't LINUX go through this and win?

If this is different, please explain. Short of not showing up in court, but you can't blame him for not wanting to be arrested.

mayday4379 10-24-2007 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More proof that Calvin Ayre is the coolest ceo on the planet: he has put an open challenge to Scott Lewis (the patent troll) for an MMA style fight. He said he'd put up $1,000,000 and the rights to the Bodog name in a blog entry at CalvinAyre.com.

http://digg.com/world_news/Calvin_Ay...or_Bodog_Brand

[/ QUOTE ]

since he doesn't own bodog.com, not really that ballsy.