Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Am I being a nit? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=487324)

dkgojackets 08-27-2007 08:52 AM

Am I being a nit?

So I moved into my dorm a week ago. My roommate is a guy from high school I know pretty well. Anyway, I brought my HDTV and Xbox 360 which I had bought myself. He's contributed nothing except a small refreigerator, and the freezer doesn't even work. So far, I have made him pay for all groceries (not much, just some drinks, food, minor things) and I reserve the final decision on what we watch on the TV. I'm also making him buy all future 360 games since I brought a handful of mine.

Reasonable or nittish?

1aguilas 08-27-2007 10:06 AM

Re: Am I being a nit?

eh a little nitty IMO

NU Star 08-27-2007 10:57 AM

Nitty. Why would he buy 360 games if it is your system?

En Passant 08-27-2007 12:05 PM

You sound like a huge douche. You're making him pay for groceries since you elected to personally buy and bring a HDTV and xbox.

Sounds like you have some power issues, little man. Control of the t.v. channel - lol, are you serious? Good way to start off the year with someone you will be seeing every day.

Edit: it is totally reasonable to get upset with a roomate who contributes nothing, while using all of your stuff. This is clearly not that case under these circumstances.

XxGodJrxX 08-27-2007 12:23 PM

If I were him, I would tell you go to go [censored] yourself and buy my own television. Buy all the groceries? Just because you bought a 360 and a television?

dkgojackets 08-27-2007 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: it is totally reasonable to get upset with a roomate who contributes nothing, while using all of your stuff. This is clearly not that case under these circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

so far this has been the case. Our total grocery bill amounts to a 12 pack of coke and a half gallon of milk every week. Didn't seem like too much for him to provide maybe seven bucks of stuff per week in exchange for use of a 360 and HDTV.

If he wants to go out and spend more than a gran on his own electronics then I'd be glad to split our food bill. You may say its a power issue, but I just don't like it when I pay $1500+ for my own stuff and someone else gets equal use for nothing.

dkgojackets 08-27-2007 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I were him, I would tell you go to go [censored] yourself and buy my own television. Buy all the groceries? Just because you bought a 360 and a television?

[/ QUOTE ]

groceries may be $10 a week tops.

Case Closed 08-27-2007 12:47 PM

This is how friends from high school end up hating each other during college. Relax guy, you don't get all that control for bringing a effing X-Box.

Plus, he probably calls you a douche behind your back.

En Passant 08-27-2007 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so far this has been the case. Our total grocery bill amounts to a 12 pack of coke and a half gallon of milk every week. Didn't seem like too much for him to provide maybe seven bucks of stuff per week in exchange for use of a 360 and HDTV.

If he wants to go out and spend more than a gran on his own electronics then I'd be glad to split our food bill. You may say its a power issue, but I just don't like it when I pay $1500+ for my own stuff and someone else gets equal use for nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is important to note that you elected to buy and bring all that good stuff. Therefore, I think It's unfair for you to make him pay 100% for other stuff as a result of that.

You have only been living together for less than a month, right? Give it another month before you reach the conclusion that he isn't going to pay for anything. I think all you can ask for now is to split everything you use (such as groceries) 50/50.

Learning 08-27-2007 12:56 PM

Yeah.

Imagine how badass you'd have been if you acted apathetic about his use.

"Dude, my roommate brought an HDTV and I get to use it and he doesn't mind!"

"Orly? Lets hook him up with 853413878 sorority girls!"

dkgojackets 08-27-2007 01:27 PM

Agree, I should give it time and not make a big deal about it. I just don't like the situation of me bringing my own stuff for my own use yet not being able to watch/play at my leisure.

duracell 08-27-2007 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree, I should give it time and not make a big deal about it. I just don't like the situation of me bringing my own stuff for my own use yet not being able to watch/play at my leisure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely a little nitty. I brought everything too. While I typically have the remote on my said, if we're both watching TV I make sure it's something we both want to watch. As long as he's careful with your [censored], I don't think it really matters.

By the way, what dorm are you staying in? I posted this in the other thread but I doubt you'll look there again. I'm a freshman at GT staying in Towers.

En Passant 08-27-2007 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the feeling. There are two types of people in this sitation:

Person A - "Dude, thanks for bringing all this cool [censored]. I'll buy all the groceries next time we need them."
Person B - The opposite of person A, which sounds like your roomate.

Just try your hardest not to take it personal. You guys are going to be around each other a whole lot and the last thing you need is to be upset with each other.

Learning 08-27-2007 01:53 PM

You might think you'd prefer him to pick up groceries, but that would indicate some sort of "trade" had taken place and your directional control over the stuff would decrease a little.

dkgojackets 08-27-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely a little nitty. I brought everything too. While I typically have the remote on my said, if we're both watching TV I make sure it's something we both want to watch. As long as he's careful with your [censored], I don't think it really matters.

By the way, what dorm are you staying in? I posted this in the other thread but I doubt you'll look there again. I'm a freshman at GT staying in Towers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freshman in Smith...we're like two buildings away from each other.

I'm trying not to take it personal, mostly I just want a little respect shown towards my personal things. Like when I'm watching TV, he doesn't come in and change the channel.

dkgojackets 08-27-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might think you'd prefer him to pick up groceries, but that would indicate some sort of "trade" had taken place and your directional control over the stuff would decrease a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely see your point here.

The B 08-27-2007 03:30 PM

you have to be 5'2" w/ a small pecker....f'ing nit

emon87 08-27-2007 03:34 PM

You're a complete douchebag. You bought the stuff on your own, he didn't say, yo, you buy the TV and I'll buy everything else.

Also, making him buy games for your system? WTF?

Unless your name is Rent-A-Center, you're a tool.

AbreuTime 08-27-2007 03:36 PM

"Dude, I'm bringing an X-Box and HDTV for the room."
"Sweet, sounds good."
"Those groceries, I think you should pay for them since I brought the TV."
"Um, ok."
"And if you want to play any X-Box games, you should buy them for us. I'll hold onto them, though, since I own the system."
"Errrr, ok." Thinks: "how long into the year before I have earned my right to be his roommate without paying this douchebag arbitrary fees"

You have a long year ahead of you if you insist on things being "yours" while also demanding payments. If he is paying more than 50/50 for ongoing expenses, you dont have a right to be high and mighty about "rights" to the TV remote.

Note: This assumes that you and your roommate did not negotiate who was going to buy the TV before coming to school. If you had said "I'll buy the TV, you can contribute other stuff like food," then you are correct about his paying extra for things. However, if this was the case, then you are partners, and thus have equal say to the TV's usage.

dkgojackets 08-27-2007 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're a complete douchebag. You bought the stuff on your own, he didn't say, yo, you buy the TV and I'll buy everything else.

Also, making him buy games for your system? WTF?

Unless your name is Rent-A-Center, you're a tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

My name isn't Rent-A-Center, but actually he did tell me to bring the TV and Xbox.

dkgojackets 08-27-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note: This assumes that you and your roommate did not negotiate who was going to buy the TV before coming to school. If you had said "I'll buy the TV, you can contribute other stuff like food," then you are correct about his paying extra for things. However, if this was the case, then you are partners, and thus have equal say to the TV's usage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had already bought the TV/Xbox and was going to bring them for myself anyway, so it didn't make sense for him to buy the same things. Before coming down, I asked for him to contribute the rest of the stuff since my part is obviously more expensive than anything else we have. The only thing he brought down that we currently share is a crappy fridge.

ship_it_trebek 08-27-2007 04:06 PM

Rooming with people from high school = nitty

duracell 08-27-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had already bought the TV/Xbox and was going to bring them for myself anyway, so it didn't make sense for him to buy the same things. Before coming down, I asked for him to contribute the rest of the stuff since my part is obviously more expensive than anything else we have. The only thing he brought down that we currently share is a crappy fridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely not as nitty as a first thought. Still, I think it would be smart to just go 50-50 from here on out. Especially buy your own X-box games. Living with a roommate sucks so I wouldn't try to make it any worse.

Does Smith have big rooms? My room is pretty tiny.

dkgojackets 08-27-2007 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is definitely not as nitty as a first thought. Still, I think it would be smart to just go 50-50 from here on out. Especially buy your own X-box games. Living with a roommate sucks so I wouldn't try to make it any worse.

Does Smith have big rooms? My room is pretty tiny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ours is decent sized for a dorm. Its on the corner and seems bigger than the rest of the ones in the hall.

I'm not looking to start a conflict or profit through this situation. I just want him to show some respect towards my personal things and keep the room contributions even. Making him buy the games is pretty stupid, but that was actually his idea at first (well before we moved in) and he came with Madden. I highly doubt I don't buy my own games, if I get any more.

NickMPK 08-27-2007 04:31 PM

This is completely nittish. You should buy whatever stuff you want, and he can buy whatever stuff he wants. At the end of the year, you all get to keep your own stuff, so it's really not as big of a bargain for him as you are making it out to be.

Thremp 08-27-2007 04:35 PM

You're a total tool.

Rupert 08-27-2007 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're a total tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Do you hate having friends? Do you never want to get laid? Come on man its college, you gotta be easy going on this sort of thing. Its hard enough living somewhere new, let alone having some douchebag telling you that you gotta buy his milk for him. Just get some beer in and get smashed playing xbox...

Berns31 08-27-2007 08:50 PM

I see you are having a good time alienating your roommate the first week of school. You should have a fun year ahead of you...

dkgojackets 08-27-2007 09:05 PM

Txs for help guys. Nittishness level has decreased.

SuperUberBob 08-27-2007 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rooming with people from high school = nitty

[/ QUOTE ]

I roomed with my high school friend for my first two years at Penn State. Got along perfectly fine. Still do to this day.

Though OP is a real dick. Going through with this is what makes high school friends turn into mortal enemies. Whether he asked you to do it is irrelevant. You still did it of your own volition.

Let's reverse the scenario. Because you brought all those things, should your roommate start buying expensive stuff for you and treat you like a king?

CalledDownLight 08-27-2007 11:37 PM

This is sooooooooo douche. Its not like you wouldn't have brought the TV or Xbox if he hadn't mentioned it. Also, you are going to keep them in summers and after you graduate I assume so its not like he's taking half of your property, he's just using it without any harm. Also, I hope you like tech because only about 25% of the kids I know there do.

ship_it_trebek 08-27-2007 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I roomed with my high school friend for my first two years at Penn State. Got along perfectly fine. Still do to this day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I've seen it turn out fine and horrible.