Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Omaha 8 Books (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=219191)

FeliciaLee 09-23-2006 03:40 PM

Omaha 8 Books

I suggest Ray Zee's book as my first choice. If you do not understand the bare mechanics of O8, then any book should do in order to learn how to read the board and your hand. Once you are beyond this point, if you have any general poker experience whatsoever, I say go straight to Ray.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ali shmali 09-23-2006 04:47 PM

Re: Omaha 8 Books

I just got cappalleti's book. I don't like it so far. He's very sporadic with his ideas and there's a lot of pointless and tedious info in there. Someone please tell me it gets better. Has anyone read both ray zee's and cappalletti's book? Is the ray zee book a better read?

ThaMaster 09-23-2006 07:38 PM

how about super system 2 section on Omaha 8/better?

neverforgetlol 09-23-2006 07:48 PM

zee's book is good but not long enough. there's no good full length book for this game yet.

fiezk 09-23-2006 07:52 PM

the OH8 section in SS2 is pretty good IMO, although it is entirely focused on FL.

Pnigro 09-24-2006 06:38 PM

Re: Omaha 8 Books *DELETED*

Let's keep this thread book-only based. TIA.

grandgnu 09-24-2006 10:26 PM

I have not read Ray Zee's book, but heard good things.

I have read the following:

SUPER SYSTEM 2 SECTION ON OMAHA HI/LO My first introduction to the game and a great primer to get started playing profitably at lower limit loose-passive games.

CAPELLETI'S BOOK ON OMAHA HI/LO I actually enjoyed this book, although it's not as well organized as the section in Super System 2. I think it covers some more advanced play compared with the SS2 section, you might want to reread this a few times and you'll pick up additional insight.

After you've gained the fundamentals, it's all about live experience playing to know when you can successfully pull off bluffs (or set them up on the turn in case you miss on the river but your opponent likely missed as well)

For the most part, you don't have to get too tricky in O8 if you practice good table selection. You can just nut peddle while donkeys are raising with their King-high flushes on low flops.

1MoreFish4U 09-25-2006 08:00 AM

I have read each of these books more than once and would recommend them in the order they are listed. Any intelligent poker player should be able to get something out of any book they read, and I recommend going back and looking through things you have already read because you will take something differently than the first time & it is likely to help.

1. High-Low Split Poker for Advanced Players - Ray Zee

2. How to win at Omaha High-Low - Mike Cappelletti

3. Winning Omaha/8 Poker - Tenner/Krieger

4. Championship Omaha - Cloutier/McEvoy

I never bothered picking up SS2 because I thought it would mostly recycle the same things as SS1. I guess I should have a look at it.

One other book I have found to be helpful is Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker by Stewart Reuben & Bob Ciaffone. I is not specifically an Omaha book but does give some insight into the game & can increase your general knowledge of pl & nl at any game.

portisfreak 09-25-2006 04:28 PM

I beleive the books should be listed in reverse order as you have listed (can't say about McEvoy/Cloutier book, though).

Capelletti goes into in depth hand analysis that will throw off a lot of new players. I was only able to appreciate the book after reading the S/S 2 chapter, Tenner and Krieger and Zee.

EffenDolts 09-25-2006 08:59 PM

4. Championship Omaha - Cloutier/McEvoy

I play a lot of O8, so I probably got enough value out of this book to justify the price. However, I was really disappointed in the presentation. It sounded like they dictated this book to their editor over a few beers. There is no plan to the book, and much of the advice is not explained very well. (I am spoiled by Buzz's posts.) There is also a lot of horribly useless filler. Add to that the fact that it is only partially about O8, and the example hands aren't tailored to O8, and I don't think I will ever bother to reread the whole thing.

Effen

grandgnu 09-25-2006 09:03 PM

I've only read one Mcevoy book and I was less than impressed. He's got a gazillion of them on the market, but I assume they're all rather simplistic and include rehashed material from previous books he's written (especially the NL stuff)

I don't buy his stuff anymore.

1MoreFish4U 09-26-2006 01:58 PM

"It sounded like they dictated this book to their editor over a few beers. "

You are right of course - which is why I ranked it where I did in terms of Omaha books I have read.

I also agree that I can learn more from Buzz'z posts than TJ's war stories.

MegaDisgruntled 09-27-2006 01:00 AM

Nobody has even mentioned the new Bill Boston book. A ton on numbers, but well worth the money.

Les

http://megadisgruntled.blogspot.com - PL and NL Omaha 8 talk

guillaumezur 12-14-2006 06:37 PM

i up this old post in order to know if some good books were edited that didnt exist before

neverforgetlol 12-14-2006 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody has even mentioned the new Bill Boston book. A ton on numbers, but well worth the money.

Les

http://megadisgruntled.blogspot.com - PL and NL Omaha 8 talk

[/ QUOTE ]

all i see is white space

davebreal 12-14-2006 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all i see is white space

[/ QUOTE ]

he's too busy studying my play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Quanah Parker 12-15-2006 03:03 PM

Disclosure, I've only recently begun playing O8.

I got Cappelletti's book and he repeatly makes a point of how O8 is much more profitable than Hold 'Em because the difference in the fairly skilled and the expert is marginal.

Is he exaggerating?

BradleyT 12-15-2006 05:34 PM

Here's his article on that.

http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/15011

Frond 12-16-2006 12:42 PM

I have the Cappeletti book and liked it. I also have read the SS2 section on O8. I haven't yet played anything above the 3-6 level and I find that the best way for me to play is to simply play strong 2 way hands like they all recommend, with a few high only hands thrown in when you can get in cheap and in position as well. Most people playing live have never read a thing on this game and you can tell by the way that they play every single hand. I have yet to see a live 2-4 or 3-6 table that doesn't play this way.I jsut am patient and wait for some good hands.

Me, I'm a nutpeddleraholic!

Gonso 12-16-2006 10:09 PM

My O8 needs considerable improvement, so it's not for me to say which books are the best or the most helpful. Time will tell, but here are my thoughts as a struggling O8 guy trying to learn the game:

I find Ray Zee's book to be very good. The Q&A's in it aren't really my style, but it's generally readable and makes sense. It's straightforward and very much belongs in the 2+2 'For Advanced Players' series.

Todd's SS chapter is to the point and is similar in tone to Reese's stud chapter in SS1. It's pretty compressed 'here's how it's done' O8.

Tenner/Krieger - the fonts and cards are a little small, but this seems okay. Only about halfway through it, but it's at least worth having. They cover some other aspects such as unusual blind structures, etc.

McEvoy/Cloutier - talk about recycled. The 'talking over beers' interview format is really not why I buy poker lit.

P.S. - I play fixed limit O8, not PL.

bluffalobill 12-18-2006 08:20 AM

I liked Zee´s book even though its more biased on limit O/8, he actually suggested that potlimit is going to die due to the fact that the fish goes broke to quick. This statements must be before the internet age... Have anybody any comments on Stewart Reubens book "How good is your potlimit Omaha", not sure if íts only for high but probably not. I liked the book by Ciaffone and Reuben.

And by the way as a new member of this excellent forum I would like to thank all of the posters here for many taughtful advices.

Regards

/Bluffalo

redmarion 12-18-2006 05:09 PM

When I read "How good is your potlimit Omaha," it was all about PLO high.

I thought it rather weak in that also.

He was recounting how he sucked out with weak hands and low equity.

I may be wrong, but I haven't seen fit to gobacktoit.

Most of the lit on Omaha 8b is based on limit. 2+2 forum has the only reliable info on PLO8b

GMMigge 12-19-2006 08:57 AM

How is the section about Omaha 8 in Bob Ciaffone's book "Omaha Poker" ?

GMMigge 12-22-2006 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How is the section about Omaha 8 in Bob Ciaffone's book "Omaha Poker" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump; have nobody read that book or what?

Murakawa 01-28-2007 07:42 AM

Tenner/Krieger book is easy to read, has simple starting hand requirements, and IMO does a good job of showing basic situations of when to raise with what kinds of hands, and when to go for an overcall.

It is LO8 though.

The Rolf Slotbloom books is supposed to be killer. I haven't gotten it yet but I've read a few of his articles and they are very good, but he has a lot of "trust me, don't do this" points without saying why they are bad ideas.

Frond 01-28-2007 01:53 PM

I just this morning finished the Tenner Kreiger book. My first book was Cappelleti's and I favor the Tenner Krieger book more. I also have Zee's book but thought that I should read something a bit more on the begginer side first so I am going to read that one eventually. It might be cool for someone to write an LLO8 book similiar to the Jones HE book or SSHE since I have a feeling that more people play lower limits than people think. Maybe the book would be pretty much like the Tenner Kreiger book though. I find that poker books are a great way to learn games and strategies but like any life activity, the best practice is actually doing the activity.