Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Grade the killer's plays. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=381482)

candyman718 04-17-2007 10:27 PM

Grade the killer\'s plays.

You are the professor of a Playwriting class at Virginia Tech. Let's assume a 100 level course. A student submits the following 2 plays.

web page

What do you give him as a grade?

1- Average the 2 plays.
2- Assume there are no guidelines for the students other other than to submit any play.
3- Disregard that the author is a mass murderer.

guids 04-17-2007 10:29 PM

Re: Grade the killer\'s plays.

I think this is teh type of stuff KKF was getting at when almost everyone of you called him a troll.

kyro 04-17-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is teh type of stuff KKF was getting at when almost everyone of you called him a troll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. (No, seriously. You hit the nail on the head.)

candyman718 04-17-2007 10:32 PM

I don't mean to offend. I am just stunned by the level of this maniac's writing. He is an ENGLISH MAJOR at a University. I want to know what everyone thinks of his writing. Is the student who submitted his plays to the media a troll too?

T-God 04-17-2007 11:10 PM

These are comically bad at times, but it's interesting to read what this guy wrote. The guy clearly has problems with authority and father figures. There's also a common theme of not having a place where he feels safe. In one, the main character's home life is insanely [censored] up and in the other the kids are talking about how everywhere they go they are harrassed by their teacher. Then of course there are themes of paedophilia in both. Crazy stuff.

As for the quality, the grammar is hella bad and the dialogue is riduculous and unrealistic. That said, I don't think they are terrible. I think he has a [censored] up mind (obv) that works differently than most peoples, so to see what he produces as art is kinda neat.

Seperate note: Video games were brought up within hours, how long til GnR gets blamed?

samsonite2100 04-17-2007 11:22 PM

F+

Off topic, but over/under on how long it takes before there's a shi**y punk band called "Richard McBeef."

Vyse 04-17-2007 11:28 PM

Humorous. Not that bad a writer, actually.

Rushmore 04-17-2007 11:39 PM

Sorry, I hate to disagree with what some are saying, but...

it is a sorry state of affairs when a senior English Major can write this sort of dreck and not be flunked out of school immediately. These plays are horrifically awful from every conceivable perspective.

stormstarter28 04-18-2007 01:56 AM

"Mr. Hui, what you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent paper were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational piece of literature. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Hoya 04-18-2007 01:58 AM

I'd give Richard McBeef an F. Just flat out horrible.

Mr. Brownstone, on the other hand, had some inspired momemnts - especially on page 5. D+.

pokergrader 04-18-2007 02:09 AM

Pretty distrubing, although the ending of Mr. Brownstone was quite a twist.

I would give him an F, but at least he put in the effort to format everything correctly so I give him a D.

ybother 04-18-2007 02:10 AM

The copy I saw had reader comments, and they flamed someone for posting that his writing style was lacking senior level skills. In any case they are both horrendous on muliple levels.

Paul B. 04-18-2007 02:24 AM

Wow, these plays look like they came straight out of a Korean gangster comedy, which are really popular in Korea. Threatening people with physical harm is common but it's supposed to taken very lightly and this kid obviously took it too far.

esad 04-18-2007 02:33 AM

What's the over/under in months before some advant-grade "artist" stages these plays?

I'd say 9 months. 6 is too soon, but 9 I could see. You know it will happen eventually.

NapoleonDolemite 04-18-2007 03:09 AM

I'd like to think maybe he was just leveling them all- something like "I'll write the most retarded piece of crap any of these rich kids have ever seen, and they'll still humor me and act like it has some artistic value". Which is probably what happened sadly (the humoring part).

But in reality I think this guy was just a sociopath+moron and this is all he had to offer. I suppose seeing movies like Silence of the Lambs and stuff like that there is some sort of expectation that the psycopath is a tormented genius who mis-stepped somewhere along the line and began misusing his intellect for evil. The reality is the guy was an utter moron, and a sick one at that.

He was also a senior English Major at a major university.

bluef0x 04-18-2007 03:17 AM

How did he even get to senior status? Why do we give passing grades to retards? Ugh..

donkeylove 04-18-2007 03:17 AM

I think if Dom does a little work on the script, Richard McBeef could be a big hit for Vivid.

TheJubilantMale 04-18-2007 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is KKF? Seen it elsewhere too...

Tennenbaum 04-18-2007 12:00 PM

They're horribly written and lame.

Tennenbaum 04-18-2007 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Mr. Hui, what you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent paper were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational piece of literature. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

[/ QUOTE ]

nice reference.

WhoIam 04-18-2007 12:13 PM

Seung Cho’s “Mr. Brownstone” is a comic parable dealing with archetypal themes such as the exploitation of youth and alienation between generations. This post-Freudian work examines...

I can't do this anymore. I've been out of college too long. Is it wrong that I enjoyed this play on a "so bad it's hilarious" level? I mean an entire page of the play was devoted to quoting a Gun 'n' Roses song.

MasterLJ 04-18-2007 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a God-awful writer with no grasp of colloquial speech or play writing.

Vyse 04-18-2007 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a God-awful writer with no grasp of colloquial speech or play writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people have no grasp of play writing. It's difficult. Play made me laugh. I award points for that.

mjkidd 04-18-2007 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

it is a sorry state of affairs when a senior English Major can write this sort of dreck and not be flunked out of school immediately. These plays are horrifically awful from every conceivable perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. I can't, however, stop laughing at the name "Richard McBeef".

renodoc 04-18-2007 12:30 PM

This shows why the upcoming attack on the second amendment should really be directed upon the first amendment. yuck.

Los Feliz Slim 04-18-2007 12:31 PM

Speaking as someone with a degree in English Literature, I am absolutely astounded that someone could make it this far and be that bad. That said, he WAS a senior, but I think these plays were written earlier in his academic career. Most of the writing you do as an English major is criticism, it would be interesting to read something he wrote on Billy Budd.

It's been awhile, but McBeef is trying to do something with MacBeth, right?

Now that I'm thinking about it, most of the writers in my classes were pretty terrible, just not THIS bad. This is how I managed to not attend class and write all my papers in the days before they were due and manage a B average at a top-ten school, I guess. So, folks, what you've always believed is true: the English major is a joke.

Mr_Donktastic 04-18-2007 12:32 PM

The stuff about the name Mr. Brownstone being like a "kidney stone of the ass" and the paragraph that followed about his constipation and "ripping his sphincter to relieve a single gram of turd" had me loling. Terrible.

JasonK 04-18-2007 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On campus, Cho had raised some alarms. His professor for a 2005 seminar, the renowned poet Nikki Giovanni, found his work disturbingly dark. "He was writing really creepy things," Giovanni said. Worse, Cho was intimidating the other students in the class by snapping pictures of them with his cellphone camera. Finally, Giovanni decided to ask Cho to complete the course work outside the seminar, in a one-on-one tutorial with the department head. "I couldn't allow him to destroy my class," she said.

At the end of the semester, Giovanni gave him an A — not for talent or effort, but because she feared angering him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Georgia Avenue 04-18-2007 12:41 PM

Los: He was a CREATIVE WRITING major, not an English Lit. major. This means all he had to do was turn in something ANYTHING and he'd pass. This major is total crap and actually is bad for kids who want to be writers. Writers should study things like physical science, economics, history, politics, whatever, as long as it isn't writing. The only reason the major exists is to give jobs to struggling graduate students while they write books/drink/sleep with their students. As a former grad student who taught classes like the one this kid turned these into, I would have probably passed him. It is of correct length and format, and, while insanely childish and insane, is more interesting than the warmed-over soap-opera poop the jocks and sorority girls were writing/plagiarizing. I would have certainly also referred him to go see a counselor, which several of his teachers did. If this major didn't exist, I'm pretty sure he would have flunked out since he sounds like a pure sociopath, so maybe some good will come of this tragedy: congressional ban on creative writing degrees?

--GA

bluef0x 04-18-2007 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. I can't, however, stop laughing at the name "Richard McPork".

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Los Feliz Slim 04-18-2007 12:53 PM

GA,

Wow, I don't think Washington University even had a Creative Writing major. And I though E Lit was easy. Jesus. You're right, you'd be better off working as a fry cook for four years than sitting in a classroom with some grad student, as long as you keep reading.

Creative writing major at a tech school. Sounds REAL valuable.

Georgia Avenue 04-18-2007 12:57 PM

It is valuable for basketball players, I'm sure.

MasterLJ 04-18-2007 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is valuable for basketball players, I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was Geology, aka "Rocks for Jocks."