Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Contributing to the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=178187)

Dynasty 08-03-2006 08:54 PM

Contributing to the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

As the new editor of the Magazine, I'm asking for opinions on how to improve it going forward.

One change I'd like to see is the inclusion of more Stud articles. Of the 239 articles the Magazine has published since January, 2005, only one was about Stud. One more was about Stud/8 and another was about Razz. Stud has been woefully underpreprsented in the Magazine.

So, I'd like to encourage all the Stud forum posters who have an article idea to make a submission to the Magazine. Feel free to contact me (via PM or e-mail) before doing any writing if you want to discuss the article in advance.

All authors who get published recieve $200 per article.

dboy23 08-03-2006 10:05 PM

Re: Contributing to the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

I'd love to see more stud articles. Stud is my primary game and it is hard to find good advice about it.

mscags 08-03-2006 10:24 PM

I'd be interested with writing something about stud8 if anyone has any good ideas, but Andy B could probably do a better job than I could.

Leavenfish 08-03-2006 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to see more stud articles. Stud is my primary game and it is hard to find good advice about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be why I am making so much money at Stud...I'm not brilliant, just better than 90% of the people I play. While I'd love to see more Stud articles...I cringe at the thought of it.

Perhaps I could offer more $$ to not publisher an article? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

---Leavenfish

dboy23 08-04-2006 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be why I am making so much money at Stud...I'm not brilliant, just better than 90% of the people I play. While I'd love to see more Stud articles...I cringe at the thought of it.

Perhaps I could offer more $$ to not publisher an article? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

---Leavenfish

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a few articles on 2 + 2 will change your winrate.

Bartholow 08-04-2006 09:17 AM

In fact, articles like those in the 2+2 magazine will mostly just get new players interested in the game, which will HELP your winrate.

MRBAA 08-04-2006 09:28 AM

Is the author's agreement for one time use in the magazine or is it all rights?

Dynasty 08-04-2006 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the author's agreement for one time use in the magazine or is it all rights?

[/ QUOTE ]

The article stays on the website for three months.

MRBAA 08-04-2006 12:55 PM

So is that the sole usage which 2+2 is purchasing 3 months in the online magazine, and all rights to the author otherwise?

Dynasty 08-04-2006 02:32 PM

Yes.

I believe you can find all the details in the Magazine itself.

dboy23 08-04-2006 04:09 PM

I'd love to write a stud article but my english isn't very good, nor do I believe I have enough experience in the game. I really hope Andy writes like 5. And hopefully some of the other greats in here do too. Like the people playing 75/150. If anyone feels like writing one specific to low limits I could help.

kyleb 08-05-2006 04:58 AM

I may write an article concerning Stud 8/b, though I have yet to choose a topic on it. All the older posters might recognize me, though I'm not sure how good of a thing that is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dynasty 09-07-2006 07:34 PM

I've received a very promising Stud/8 article and a razz article I'm looking forward to reading.

But, overall the stud/stud8/razz submissions have been low. I'm hopeful some of the posters I contacted directly via PM will make submissions.

Stud will only be properly represented in the Magazine if the posters here make submisions.

Joe Tall 09-09-2006 04:02 AM

Dynasty,

I got your PM when I was travelling. Now, I am currently moving from Boston to So. Cal. However, I would like to contribute when I get a chance after I'm settled. This will be another month. I have some great ideas on how Hold'em player can make the transition to stud games.

Contact you in a month or two.

Hope things are well,
Joe

Dynasty 09-09-2006 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have some great ideas on how Hold'em player can make the transition to stud games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually, I would make this type of response in a PM. But, I've met Joe, we get along, and others should benefit from reading this.

Articles which frame stud (or Omaha, etc.) strategy in a hold 'em frame of reference are not something I'm looking for. I'm adverse to publishing stud articles which are written for hold 'em players.

I want stud articles written for stud players. I believe that makes for much more interesting reading for not only stud players but also non-stud players. A stud article written for a stud player is almost certainly going to be more strategically advanced than one written for non-stud players.

I've rejected a couple Omaha articles written with this same approach. That doesn't mean I would dismiss Joe's article or a similar one. But, it has to reach a much, much higher standard in order to get published.

*TT* 09-09-2006 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have some great ideas on how Hold'em player can make the transition to stud games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually, I would make this type of response in a PM. But, I've met Joe, we get along, and others should benefit from reading this.

Articles which frame stud (or Omaha, etc.) strategy in a hold 'em frame of reference are not something I'm looking for. I'm adverse to publishing stud articles which are written for hold 'em players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should change your mind, this is a huge segment of players who are becoming more open minded about playing other games. Count me as someone who is included in that list.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Gelford 09-09-2006 01:11 PM

Allthough a basic here are the rules and basic plays for hold'em players article might be a waste of time, I must admit that a good article by a player of JoeTalls caliber is very interesting.

Making poker popular as a whole sounds like a good idea, especially with HORSE finally appearing online. Most poker players of the new age have been introduced to poker through the WPT and many are interested in new games.

Joe Tall 09-09-2006 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many HE players who taking shots at Stud games since the HORSE-boom that I keep noticing the same mistakes. The mistakes are so common that I have formed a list of them. The list keeps growing and is larger than I could have imagined. Such an article would reach a much wider audience.

Dynasty 09-09-2006 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many HE players who taking shots at Stud games since the HORSE-boom that I keep noticing the same mistakes. The mistakes are so common that I have formed a list of them. The list keeps growing and is larger than I could have imagined. Such an article would reach a much wider audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, then it's not really an article describing "how Hold'em player can make the transition to stud games". You should send me a PM telling me exactly what the article is.

Mason Malmuth 09-09-2006 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So is that the sole usage which 2+2 is purchasing 3 months in the online magazine, and all rights to the author otherwise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

MM

*TT* 09-09-2006 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, then it's not really an article describing "how Hold'em player can make the transition to stud games". You should send me a PM telling me exactly what the article is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is exactly what the article is from Joe's description, however its not an "rules of how to play stud for a hold'em player" article, and I would agree that wouldn't be necessary for the magazine.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

HOWMANY 09-09-2006 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't write this article [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Dynasty 09-30-2006 11:38 PM

The October issue went up earlier today and it included the first stud article since I took over as editor. Specifically it was a Stud/8 article by Brandon Reiser.

I haven't received any stud high-only submissions. That's something I'd like to see change.

CarlosChadha 10-01-2006 02:58 PM

I thought Jeffage submitted a stud-high article...

Carlos

Dynasty 11-03-2006 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Jeffage submitted a stud-high article...

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeffage's submission made it into the November issue. It's getting a lot of praise from readers.

There's also two articles on razz which were inspired by a thread in this forum from a couple months ago.

I think the December issue should have some stud content in it too.

Jeffage 11-03-2006 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the December issue should have some stud content in it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Working on it....Gotta go to work now though! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jeff

Dynasty 12-04-2006 10:17 PM

I think every stud article that I've published in the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine has been well received.

In the twenty issues of the Magazine in which either Mason Malmuth or Ed Miller was the editor, there were 1 razz, 1 stud, and 1 stud/8 article. In the four issues I've published, there have been 2 razz, 2 stud, and 1 stud/8 article.

I'm hopeful to see more stud submissions from more authors. The stud writers have definitely upgraded the quality of the Magazine.

Dynasty 02-01-2007 01:28 AM

After takinga month off, Jeffage returned to the Magazine with Swimming with Sharks: Encountering an Expert at the Table.

I have another Stud/8 article in my candidates folder. Jeffage seem likely to keep contributing. But, I'm still hoping for some more stud writers to contribute. Andybody interested?

Andy B 02-01-2007 01:45 AM

I got through my big thing last week. I'll try to sit down with it some time when I'm not quite so buzzed.

Dynasty 02-28-2007 10:17 PM

The March issue of the Magazine has both a stud high and stud/8 article.

Thinking Through a Stud 8 or Better Hand by Brandon Reiser

Burning Money: How Hold 'em Skills Can Lead to Stud Disaster by "Jeffage"

Dynasty 04-11-2007 06:59 PM

Jeffage has been particularly busy as of late. He wasn't able to contribute to the April issue and might not be in the May issue.

So, I'd like to call out other posts to contribute stud, stud/8, and razz articles for the Magazine. I don't want to see stud being underrepresetned in the Magazine again.

Dynasty 05-01-2007 08:18 PM

Jeffage is back in the Magazine this month. But, I'm still hoping for more stud articles from the posters in this forum- especially Stud/8 and razz.

Balancing Concepts for Maximum Profits

Dynasty 08-30-2007 11:55 PM

Dan Abrams has a razz article published in the September issue of the Magazine.

A Razz Play at the WSOP

I'm still looking for more regular razz and stud/8 articles. It's been tough to get regular contributions from the stud community other than from Jeffage.

ChipsAhoya 08-31-2007 03:48 PM

I would like to write an article if I had a good topic; I wrote for my high school and college's newspaper for 7 years, so I have plenty of experience.

-ChipsAhoya

Wetdog 08-31-2007 06:20 PM

Nice article, Dan.

Next write how not to get (24)A3QJ(K).

SGspecial 09-03-2007 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice article, Dan.

Next write how not to get (24)A3QJ(K).

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I haven't mastered that play yet.

Merton0806 09-03-2007 05:18 PM

meh i could do one on using game theory on seventh in stud hi but no one would find it interesting

Roland 09-03-2007 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

meh i could do one on using game theory on seventh in stud hi but no one would find it interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

I would.

Dynasty 10-31-2007 10:53 PM

The Magazine has a long razz article this month.

Miracle for a Micro-player: Cashing in the 2007 WCOOP Razz

I e-mail Jeffage monthly hoping he has new stud articles for me. I'm optimistic about publishing something from him before next summer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dynasty 11-06-2007 10:22 PM

There's been a change to "Contribute to the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine" page. This has been added.

...some articles will be selected for translation into German and will appear on PokerOlymp. An additional fee of $100 (per article) will be paid for all selected articles. Again after three months these translated articles will come down from www.PokerOlymp.de and all rights are then returned to the authors. These translations will be used for no other purposes without the permission from the authors.