Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Married Men: How often do you remove your ring? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=326083)

SamIAm 02-07-2007 02:49 PM

Married Men: How often do you remove your ring?

I'm getting married in September, and have started looking at rings. Unfortunately, I seem to have a size11 knuckle on my size10 finger. If I put on a 10.5 ring, there's a little effort to get it on, and then it rattles on my finger. (And then there's a lot more effort to get it off.) If I get a ring that doesn't move when I shake my hand, it'll be a real pain to remove. (My fiance thinks this is hilarious.)

So, my question is: How often am I going to want to take this off? I'm left-handed, so this is my dominant hand. Will I just have to get used to a wiggling ring, or get used to having this metal permanently welded to my hand?
-Sam

Edit for Extra Info: I lift weights pretty regularly. I cook a lot. I don't do much hard mechanical work: maybe once a month. I'll be 28 when I put this ring on.

Scary_Tiger 02-07-2007 02:52 PM

Re: Married Men: How often do you remove your ring?

Um, stop wearing it after the honeymoon. Your wife probably has a jewelry box you can keep it in.

DrewDevil 02-07-2007 02:55 PM

I take it off when I work out because it was a real nuisance when lifting weights.

Wear it on your wedding day, then take it off permanently. Plus, easier to cheat on your wife!

Los Feliz Slim 02-07-2007 02:57 PM

I take mine off when I sleep. I have a similar issue, and I have a really loose ring.

samjjones 02-07-2007 02:58 PM

I only wear mine for special occasions.

RayPowers 02-07-2007 02:58 PM

Nearly never, but if its your dominant hand, I could see the issue.

Ray

dcasper70 02-07-2007 03:00 PM

I rarely take it off.
When I do, it's usually just to spin it on a table or something mindless like that. Back on within a minute.

offTopic 02-07-2007 03:01 PM

I constantly take it off and fiddle with it. We both take them off when we play golf. I imagine I'll lose it eventually, but as long as she doesn't, it's all good.

Zurvan 02-07-2007 03:01 PM

Sam - I have the same problem. My ring wiggles constantly. You do get used to it pretty quickly.

I only take mine off to shower and wash dishes. Water + soap + loose ring = me paranoid it's going to fly off.

Yads 02-07-2007 03:03 PM

I have the same problem as you, but don't find it too annoying. I take mine off and play with it a lot though.

CrazyEyez 02-07-2007 03:05 PM

I never take mine off. I used to take it off when I played basketball because of the urban legend about someone getting theirs caught on the net and ripping their finger off. But one night it fell out of my gym bag in the parking lot and I didn't realize it until the next night. Luckily they had it at the front desk.

No matter how annoying you find it initially, you'll get used to it and cease to notice it. But I don't lift weights, and I can see how that might be an issue.

NickMPK 02-07-2007 03:07 PM

I take mine off every night. I don't usually wear it inside my house. Also when I am playing golf...I tried to play with it on once and got a horrible blister.

SJUHawks 02-07-2007 03:07 PM

Never comes off. Ever. Lost weight for the wedding, then found it again shortly thereafter = can't come off without a saw.

hamsamich 02-07-2007 03:08 PM

Do not wear. I don't wear any jewelry though, not even a watch. I put it on once in a while when we go out. As an alternative, you could smarten up and NOT GET married, thus solving the 'how often do I have to bear this sign of my capture for all the world to see'.....
ohhh....I've said too much...
Nvrmind....enjoy!

SamIAm 02-07-2007 03:09 PM

I'm definitely surprised by all the guys who don't wear their rings. I thought the ring was a cool part of the deal, and planned on leaving it on almost all of the time. (When I wore a ring on my other hand for a few years, I left it on in bed, shower, etc. Strangely, that knuckle is a normal size, so didn't have this issue.)

TheNoodleMan 02-07-2007 03:10 PM

Is it a huge taboo for a left handed man to wear it on his right hand? Seems like that would be the way to go.

27offsuit 02-07-2007 03:14 PM

I have yet to take mine off after 8+ years.

Don't know why.

nolanfan34 02-07-2007 03:15 PM

I'm in the "never take it off" camp. I guess in the summer when I'm putting on suntan lotion or something, I'll take it off then.

My ring size is similar as well. My ring is a bit loose, but not big enough to easily slide off. You just get used to it after a while. Now it feels very strange to have it off.

4 High 02-07-2007 03:18 PM

I wear it all the time. However technically i lost my wedding band on our honeymoon. This is just the replacement.

davelin 02-07-2007 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I rarely take it off.
When I do, it's usually just to spin it on a table or something mindless like that. Back on within a minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

bosoxfan 02-07-2007 03:18 PM

Before getting married I never wore a piece of jewelry. I've never taken mine off for more than a couple of minutes and don't even notice it anymore.

Spanaway Vin 02-07-2007 03:19 PM

I take mine off every day when I go to bed. I take it off when I cook or shower. Sometimes I go days without putting it on. My wife doesn't consider this a big deal.

DrNo888 02-07-2007 03:19 PM

Lost it during a around of golf when I had it in my pocket. This was about a month after we got married. Havent replaced it, yet. It's been more than 2 years.

deadbody 02-07-2007 03:29 PM

I go spurts of wearing it every day to work (putting it on when I leave the house, taking it off when I get home) and then I go months w/o wearing it.

I have managed to lose 2 wedding rings in just under 9 years. After I lost the 2nd I managed to find the first though. Very odd.

offTopic 02-07-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lost it during a around of golf when I had it in my pocket. This was about a month after we got married. Havent replaced it, yet. It's been more than 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I fear, since we play golf a decent amount. I wear a watch with a band that buckles, and I run the band through the ring and then buckle it and put the whole assembly in a zippered pocket in my golf bag.

4_2_it 02-07-2007 03:42 PM

Sam,

I haven't wore a wedding ring in 12 or so years (Been married over 15 years). I never got used to it. My wife doesn't ware hers either. Neither of us is into wearing jewelery and I am sure we are the exception to the rule.

If you love your wife, then just do what feels comfortable to you. My advice is to wear it 90% of the time for a few years and if you still hate it, then talk to your wife and remove it.

WayAbvPar 02-07-2007 03:44 PM

I take it off to shower. Other than that, it never comes off (unless I am toying with it). On the very rare occasions when I forget to replace it after showering, it drives me crazy as soon as I notice.

I tape over it when I golf- I tend to blister on that hand (probably due to some giant flaws in my grip and swing), so I just add some tape over the ring.

Amid Cent 02-07-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before getting married I never wore a piece of jewelry. I've never taken mine off for more than a couple of minutes and don't even notice it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Used to take it off and spin it, now I don't think about it ever.

SamIAm 02-07-2007 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tape over it when I golf- I tend to blister on that hand (probably due to some giant flaws in my grip and swing), so I just add some tape over the ring.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. For guys that take off their ring while lifting, would tape fix it? What about wearing lifting gloves?

I'd rather keep track of $10 gloves between lifting than keep track of my ring during lifting.
-Sam

samjjones 02-07-2007 03:57 PM

Note that my wife was well aware of the fact that I don't like wearing jewelry, and for the most part she was fine with it. I think my ring cost like $80 or something like that. I will wear it when we are out in public and at family gatherings, so she does not feel like a whore.

JaredL 02-07-2007 04:00 PM

I used to take it off when I went to bed every night. Somehow I lost it.

I was practicing with this "band" which consists of a few people in my department who can vaguely play music. I remember there thinking "this is the first time I've played bass with a ring on." I went home, took it off, and went to bed. I usually just put it next to me in the bed. My wife lived in Oregon during this time because she had to work over there to finish her certification (she couldn't find a job in Pittsburgh that would work). I couldn't sleep, which is pretty standard, and so I got up and went to the grocery store to get something to drink. I remember asking myself if I should put the ring back on and I decided against it as I had already started to leave and didn't want to walk back to my room for basically no reason. I got something to drink at the store and came back. Not sure if I went to bed right away or what. Next morning I woke up and couldn't find my ring anywhere. My apartment was very messy since I lived by myself and am generally messy. The next couple days I cleaned everything and went through the room inch-by-inch. I was hoping that it would turn up when I moved, but it didn't. Some time I'm going to have to get a new one. I lost it almost exactly a year ago since our first practice last year was on groundhog day. I've been married less than 2 years so I've gone without a ring longer than I had one.

My wife doesn't wear hers all that often. She's overly worried about germs and that type of thing and she works with kids a lot so she doesn't wear it to work. Pretty much unless we're going out she doesn't wear hers. That's not quite true, but often after work she'll forget to put it on.

Not sure if it matters but for each of us our parents are still married. Neither of our fathers wear their rings at all. Her dad is an airplane mechanic, it's pretty dumb to wear at work if you do that, similarly when my parents were first married my dad was working in a mill. He stopped wearing his after another married guy somehow got his ring stuck on something and it shredded the skin under his finger and the idiot would not let them cut his ring off, he made them push the skin back under it so he could get his hand out. I think my mom wears hers pretty much all the time, not sure about my mother-in-law.

kevstreet 02-07-2007 04:10 PM

I wear mine all of the time except when I shower (leave it on the bathroom vanity).

I do put my ring on a neckless when I play sports because it just doesn't feel right. But I also don't like wearing a batting glove under my baseball glove and I'd prefer to swing a golf club without a glove as well for what that's worth.

Also, I spoke w/ the priest that performed our wedding ceremony and you do not need to wear your ring on your left hand ring finger. He told me it is not of any significance and that there are Europeans that wear the ring on their right hand. At least that's what he told me, and I don't see any reason for him to lie, he's a priest for goodness' sake. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Jbrochu 02-07-2007 04:11 PM

I take mine off when I'm rock climbing since it would be easy to lose a finger in a fall if the ring jammed in a crack and all your weight came onto it.

Otherwise, I pretty much leave it on and it doesn't bother me at all although it did take a little while to get used to wearing.

4 High 02-07-2007 04:12 PM

For those that have lost it, do you go back and get it blessed like it was before the wedding? I'm not religious or into luck but just buying another ring and wearing it seems a little off to me.

D-FENS 02-07-2007 04:13 PM

I haven't read all the responses, but I have the same problem with knuckle-size: size 9 knuckle, size 8 finger.

I just went with a size 8.5, so it's a little tough getting it on and off, and it rattles a little bit. It kind of sucked at the beginning but I'm completely used to it now.

I used to take the ring off to shower and sleep, but I got lazy and just leave it on now.

The only time I really take it off is when I work out, because lifting weights with it is really annoying (metal ring scratching on metal bar).

Anyway, I say go with the size 10.5. It will suck getting it on and off at the beginning, but it will get easier over time.

My wife also had a good time making fun of me for my giant knuckles when we were looking at rings.

Jbrochu 02-07-2007 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those that have lost it, do you go back and get it blessed like it was before the wedding? I'm not religious or into luck but just buying another ring and wearing it seems a little off to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was I supposed to get my ring blessed? I don't think I did this and never heard of it before.

Wynton 02-07-2007 04:16 PM

Quick: I have an important public service announcement.

I never take the ring off because I am physically unable to do so. And the reason is that I made the stupid mistake of wearing the ring one day while playing basketball. I jammed my finger pretty hard, and because I was wearing the ring apparently, the swelling in the joint was exacerbated. To this day, there remains some swelling around that joint. I probably could get the ring off, but it wouldn't be easy.

On the other hand, I see no particular reason to take the ring off either. If I did, I would likely just lose it somewhere, causing me untold grief.

Daliman 02-07-2007 04:49 PM

I used to take it off at night, when doing activities, washing hands,etc, but I'm a scatterbrain and lose things easily, so now I just keep it on all the time. I only take it off if I am doing something like working with tools that that could get caught in. Took me awhile to get used to it, now I can't even tell that it;s on without looking/touching it.

WayAbvPar 02-07-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was I supposed to get my ring blessed? I don't think I did this and never heard of it before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blessing the rings is a part of many wedding ceremonies.

Sluss 02-07-2007 05:02 PM

My Dad has the same knuckle problem. I don't ever remember him wearing the ring. It sits in a jewelry box on his nightstand with his class rings from High School and College.

I used to take mine off to shower or play sports, but I must have got lazy and stopped. I now play basketball with it, I have always played golf with it, I work out with it and I even wear it when woodworking (although I really shouldn't).

I just took it off and I have a pale indent where it was. I also have a callus where the ring touches the inside of my finger. It feels very strange not wearing it. And I've only been married for three years.