Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Flopping a set: slow playing or not? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=388963)

remz289 04-26-2007 12:08 PM

Flopping a set: slow playing or not?

I don't know when to play slow or agressive with a set on the flop. Any comments?

******* Hand 1 ********

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.10/$0.2
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) HERO is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls <font color="aaaaaa">(1.5:1)</font>, 3 folds, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(2.5:1)</font>, Button folds, SB calls <font color="aaaaaa">(3.5:0.5)</font>, HERO checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4SB, 4 players)
SB checks, HERO checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, SB calls <font color="aaaaaa">(5:1)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">HERO raises</font>, UTG folds, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(8:1)</font>, SB calls <font color="aaaaaa">(9:1)</font>.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, HERO checks, CO checks.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">HERO bets</font>, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(6:1)</font>, SB calls <font color="aaaaaa">(7:1)</font>.

Results:
Final pot: 8BB

******* Hand 2 ********

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) HERO is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">HERO raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls <font color="aaaaaa">(3.5:2)</font>, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(5.5:2)</font>, Button folds, SB calls <font color="aaaaaa">(7.5:1.5)</font>, BB folds.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (9SB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, HERO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(10:1)</font>, MP1 calls <font color="aaaaaa">(11:1)</font>, CO folds.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, HERO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(7:1)</font>, MP1 calls <font color="aaaaaa">(8:1)</font>.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9BB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">HERO bets</font>, 2 folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to HERO.

Results:
Final pot: 9BB

******* Hand 3 ********

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) HERO is MP2 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls <font color="aaaaaa">(1.5:1)</font>, UTG+1, folds, MP1 (poster) checks, HERO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(2.5:1)</font>, 2 folds, SB calls <font color="aaaaaa">(3.5:0.5)</font>, BB (poster) checks.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5SB, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets</font>, HERO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(6:1)</font>, 3 folds.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3.5BB, 2 players)
MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">HERO bets</font>, MP1 calls <font color="aaaaaa">(4.5:1)</font>.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 2 players)
MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">HERO bets</font>, MP1 calls <font color="aaaaaa">(6.5:1)</font>.

Results:
Final pot: 7.5BB

kerowo 04-26-2007 12:10 PM

Re: Flopping a set: slow playing or not?

No, don't slow play. No, don't post 3 hands at once. Read the FAQ and respond to other peoples hands. Welcome to the forum.

fretelöo 04-26-2007 12:12 PM

Pls read the faq and only post one hand at a time.

Then, in the first hand you have trips, not a set. Slowplaying trips is just about always bad, esp. at your level. Checking that turn is atrocious. Someone could just have picked up a Flushdraw and you let him see the next card for free. Brilliant.

Second hand: Congrats at making the least possible amount of money for your hand. Your opponents sure love you.

Third hand: Same. The raise button is there for a reason.

Jago 04-26-2007 12:39 PM

Hand 1: Bet the flop, bet the turn.

Hand 2: raise the flop, as played raise the turn.

Hand 3: Just raise the flop

Finally,
[ QUOTE ]
No, don't slow play. No, don't post 3 hands at once. Read the FAQ and respond to other peoples hands. Welcome to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

chimpanzepoopdic 04-26-2007 12:52 PM

Hand 1
The turn check was insane. Trips arent nearly as strong as sets. Keep the pressure on.

Hand 2 and 3
Once you get sucked out on enough by allowing your opponents to draw to cheap runner runners and only winning smallpots you will learn to make them pay to stay in.

bbbushu 04-26-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
with this kind of in-depth analysis, i can't imagine OP isn't stoked.

Chino987 04-26-2007 01:09 PM

why are you slow playing? give us your reasons first.

then we'll let you know if we disagree.

whoshotfirst 04-26-2007 01:13 PM

In hand 1 you can't really hope for CO to bet the turn after your flop c/r.

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S 04-26-2007 01:16 PM

hand 1 - hahahahahhahahahaha wtf was any of that... im not going to even comment im convinced this hand is a joke.

hand 2 - you need to raise the flop to charge straight draws. if you arent raising the flop then raise the turn.

hand 3 - is probably fine on this dry board.

at this level slowplaying is USUALLY incorrect, but sometimes its fine. until you are skilled enough to understand against which players and on which boards to do it, just play the game straight up and bet your trips and sets.

kerowo 04-26-2007 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
with this kind of in-depth analysis, i can't imagine OP isn't stoked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. I said welcome.

Spurious 04-26-2007 04:35 PM

First Hand, i wouldnt say its a bad move checking, since you want to force out people. UTG could easily have a hand like 2 Highcards, so this flop might have helped him.
Turn check is stupid, on the Turn its time to get the money in.
Second Hand: The SB shows you that he got a hand. Dont just call, if someone behind you got a gutshot or OESD you need to force him out. Definite raise on the Turn, what are you waiting for?

Third Hand: Raise if someone bets into you. If he's bluffing, he wont call you on fourth street either, so why not raise, he might have to overcards but then he will call your raise, i guess. You need to get your money in on fourth and fifth street!!!

Remeber: If you dont lose a lot with a set, you probably played it wrong!

Ampelmann 04-26-2007 04:36 PM

Grunch without reading the post: no.

After reading the post: wtf hand 1?

remz289 04-26-2007 05:14 PM

Thanks for your comments, I'll read the FAQ before posting again.

I played on the same table for about an hour or two and I kept playing the top 10-15 hands and people started to fold on every bet of mine so I wanted to keep them in the hand, I now understand that it was stupid. I started playing Hold'em only two weeks ago, so I'm a real beginner. (sry for my bad English)

p.s. Maybe there's a lot of bad players on partypoker at micro stakes because I won a lot of BB even if I play badly. Anyway, thanks for your time.

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S 04-26-2007 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I kept playing the top 10-15 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

omfg please dont tell me you have been reading phil hellmuth

remz289 04-26-2007 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I kept playing the top 10-15 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

omfg please dont tell me you have been reading phil hellmuth

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, Phil Hellmuth's Texas Hold'em... why?

MrWookie 04-26-2007 06:21 PM

Oh dear. His book is quite awful. Please pick up Getting Started in Hold'em and Small Stakes Hold'em by our esteemed hosts at your earliest convenience. Those books will get you on the right track towards being a winner.

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S 04-26-2007 06:51 PM

ok ive thought about it. in my opinion the best options are as follows:

1. quit poker. seriously not that bad an option.
2. hire a hypnotist to make you forget all that you have read, costly, but longterm +ev.
3. find a solid brick wall and bang your head against it til you develop amnesia and forget, probably not recommended due to chances of skull fracture etc.

kerowo 04-26-2007 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. hire a hypnotist to make you forget all that you have read, costly, but longterm +ev.
3. find a solid brick wall and bang your head against it til you develop amnesia and forget, probably not recommended due to chances of skull fracture etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that once he learns how to play he will realize what he has done and forever more a small part of his soul will be screaming in pain.

remz289 04-26-2007 07:19 PM

Funny but that doesn't help much. I went here looking for help and you laugh at me. I'm in a beginner section of the forum and people laugh at beginners. Maybe I'll quit that forum before quitting poker.

kerowo 04-26-2007 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny but that doesn't help much. I went here looking for help and you laugh at me. I'm in a beginner section of the forum and people laugh at beginners. Maybe I'll quit that forum before quitting poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, if a couple of jokes about the book you read (that's right, they were about the Hell book, not about you at all) puts you on life tilt you are probably in the wrong hobby. If you want to learn, read the books Wookie suggested, read hand posts here and respond to them and see where your ideas end up. But trust me when I say this, no one cares if you go all martyr on us and go get educated somewhere else.

BigBadBabar 04-26-2007 07:38 PM

remz, some people like to be clever instead of making useful posts. if you're not new to the internet you already knew that, and if you are new, keep that in mind. check out the books that others have recommended above, and good luck.

mmctrab 04-26-2007 08:52 PM

*grunch*

Hand 1-You don't have a set, you have trips. The check/raise is meh,since you can't be sure somebody will bet, but as played you need to lead the turn and river.

Hand 2-If you're not going to raise the flop, then why aren't you raising the turn? What are you waiting for?

Hand 3- Just lead the flop and go from there.

Basically you shouldn't be slowplaying any of these hands.

Edit: Heh heh, the hypnotist thing is classic.

Zeldark 04-26-2007 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't confuse beginner with micro. Skill and stakes are indpendent of each other. Micro only means we're more likely to be nits with our money.

You're not in the Beginner forum.

remz289 04-26-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't confuse beginner with micro. Skill and stakes are indpendent of each other. Micro only means we're more likely to be nits with our money.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's written in the FAQ:

"1. Posting guidelines and etiquette.
The micro limit forum is meant for the discussion of micro limit Texas Holdem and issues that are relevant to beginning and microlimit players. (...) Micro limits refer to Holdem limit games with stakes less than $2/$4, but this forum also functions as the de facto limit Holdem beginner forum"

remz289 04-26-2007 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dude, if a couple of jokes about the book you read (that's right, they were about the Hell book, not about you at all) puts you on life tilt you are probably in the wrong hobby. If you want to learn, read the books Wookie suggested, read hand posts here and respond to them and see where your ideas end up. But trust me when I say this, no one cares if you go all martyr on us and go get educated somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'll read the books, can someone tell me why Hellmuth's book is so bad? thanks

Zeldark 04-26-2007 10:48 PM

Fair enough. Your point and my point aren't from the same perspectives.

SSHE will change your life.

Hand number 1 isn't a set.

Point Blank 04-26-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'll read the books, can someone tell me why Hellmuth's book is so bad? thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think Hellmuths book is so bad ... especially if you a total noob/retard

Hellmuth's book has the noob playing super tight to get a feel for the game (playing that tight will generally lead to positive win rate ... but only if you play in games that suck a lot)

It should be noted that SSSH will have the noob play many hands and will generally have to make too many decisions all at once (and since they generally suck ... they'll just piss their money away)

Hellmuth
has you start off just playing 77+, AKs, AKo, AQ (yes??) - and all for a raise (yes??)

then opens your game up with suited connectors.

generally this style is super boring and (as said before) only lead to profit when games are really bad (let's say 2c-4c to 25c-50c ... anything above that and you'll be toast)

get the 2+2 books read them first and make some posts (try to make those post in another person's thread ... instead of making your own)

MrWookie 04-26-2007 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The short answer is that you'll have to trust us on this one. A lot of the advice is just plain wrong, incomplete, or misleading. Plunk down $30 for Small Stakes Hold'em. Read it, and get back to us. You'll be glad you did.

OziBattler 04-27-2007 12:43 AM

or if you cant find SSHE then get Low Limit Holdem or Getting Started In Holdem. LLH teaches you to play a bit weaker and tighter than SSHE but for a beginner I think this is a good thing to help avoid misapplication of SSHE which leads to spewville.

lautzutao 04-27-2007 01:10 AM

Hand 1 is fine, hand 2 you gotta raise that flop but even if you don't not raising the turn is a crime, and hand 3 I don't mind calling because the pot is small.

lautzutao 04-27-2007 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's amusing about you talking crap like this is that I remember you ~8400 posts ago.

mmctrab 04-27-2007 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's written in the FAQ:

"1. Posting guidelines and etiquette.
The micro limit forum is meant for the discussion of micro limit Texas Holdem and issues that are relevant to beginning and microlimit players. (...) Micro limits refer to Holdem limit games with stakes less than $2/$4, but this forum also functions as the de facto limit Holdem beginner forum"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's only because you would naturally expect beginners to start at micro levels. However, many of the posters here are very experienced limit hold'em players whom you can learn a lot from. Or not.

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S 04-27-2007 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's amusing about you talking crap like this is that I remember you ~8400 posts ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is with all the hate... im not talking crap on the poster.

im talking crap on HELLMUTH's BOOKS

they will make you a worse player, and waste your time.

i know this because when i first started i read ken warren, who admittedly is even worse. nothing in the entire world could make you worse at poker than reading a ken warren book and taking the advice given in it as serious. you have a better chance of winning by training a monkey to just click buttons randomly. and from what i have seen hellmuth isnt much better. hellmuth is a great player but a terrible terrible writer and taking his advice will hurt you.

just go out and get SSHE, read it and understand it.

remz289 04-27-2007 02:20 PM

"just go out and get SSHE, read it and understand it"

I'll go get that book today, thanks